[Mainland Chinese Drama 2023] Nothing But You 爱情而已

SC2019

@Kehinde   Looks like only two of us are actively involved in this Thread.   :lol:   Yes.  I agree with you about LYA's step-sis.  I have mentioned before.  That sub-plot is so unnecessary & unimaginative.   I just reached Ep 15.

Spoiler

Ep 13:

1) Coach Zhang Yan's attitude is very bad.  Very condescending towards Women.

2) I like Song San Chuan's initiative to take care of Liang You An - in the Bus, and in the Hotel. Something like a Cross between a BF and a Younger Brother.

3) SSC is trying to inch closer to LYA.  But she is trying to maintain a professional distance from him.

4) Coach ZY is very Nosy.  He is observing the relationship between SSC & LYA.  He has no right do that since he has not accepted SSC as one of his charges.  If SSC is one of his Team Players, then I can say he is protecting SSC's interest.  To make sure nothing is disrupting his training, his concentration.

Ep 14:

1) At last Coach ZY spat out his Suspicions of SSC & LYA's relationship.  And publicly too.  He is Arrogant, Nosy & Narrow-Minded which all culminated into Prejudice.

2) SSC & LYA are pulled towards each other by their Mutual Empathy and Needs.  Either of their success is paramount to the other.  Their mutual Support and Encouragement to each other, is also a source of Psychological Balance and Relief.

3) When LYA brought SSC some nutritious food at the Tennis Court in the late evening, I was expecting Coach ZY to "Spy" on them. :lol:

4) I love it when SSC challenges Coach ZY to a Match and wins it.  And then tells him that he has been Rude & Unjustified in his accusations towards LYA.

Ep 15:

1) Finally!  SSC was accepted into Coach ZY's team.  And made a Captain.

2) I love the way the Guys resolve their personal grievances so sportingly at their Group Dinner.

3) Yeah!  Their 1st Date.  That was so "SWEET"  :heart:.  

4) And then came SSC's Confession. I like that it was not done with excessive saccharine.  But every move was within a Sense of Proportion.

It may not be accepted immediately.  But at least he has made his intention clear.

It is never easy for this kind of May-December Relationship to be accepted by the Lady.  More so when it is a kind of double-line entanglement of Love and Career.

We may be in the 21st Century.  But Life remains far more difficult to have greater Freedom than imagined, isn't it?

• Like 2

I agree that a big age gap between older women and younger men can be difficult.

I often think about why they put themselves through so much negativity and criticism from relatives, colleagues, and nosey people just for love. I guess, the love one gets in the end is really worth fighting for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kehinde said:

I'm just happy I can talk to someone about this show :)

@Kehinde  Same here.  Which Ep are u at now?   

I just finished Ep 23. 

Spoiler

And I am very "Disappointed" with Liang You An's attitude after their Love-Making.   Song San Chuan has every right to be angry.  So I want to Ponder more on this Issue:

1) First of all, I feel that it comes on too fast.  They have a 10 years Age Gap.  I expect the girl to be more hesitant.  Maybe the Script-Writer wants to capitalise on the fact that both of them just had too much to Drink.

2) I find the Kiss-Scenes Not well-done.  The Camera-Angles are aimed to "Skip" over them.  It is  very obvious that they are Not kissing at certain angles.  It definitely has to do with their Age-Gap.  (But then Song Wei Long & Victoria Song has an even bigger Age-Gap in "Find Yourself".  Yet their Love-Making & Kiss Scenes were very well-done).

The Kiss  

LYA gave SSC a peck on the cheek in gratitude of his gesture (at the Graduation Bulletin Board) on her being expelled from Varsity because of her  Scumbag Ex-BF.

My brother's hormones suddenly went out of control.  And he responded violently - from the Varsity's Bulletin Board, to the Hotel, and then to the Bedroom.

Such an Intimate & Precious Moment of Love.  Yet Liang You An have cold feet the next morning & tried to sneak away.   Facing SSC, she feigned  casual indifference.

I try to understand  "Why LYA has to  behave this Way"

1) I believe it has to do with her mother's education

Her parents divorced when she was a child.  Her mother raised her alone.  She kept reminding LYA that there is no need to believe in Love.  To her mother, Love is:   "At the beginning, it was all about you & me.  In the end they did not have a good thing".  (Guess that is how the Title comes to be:  "Nothing But You".

Over time, LYA has a Vague and Resistant understanding of "Love".

2) Her Fiasco In Campus Love:

Her 2 years relationship ended in her Expulsion from the University when her BF betrayed her.  That was the 2nd Blow.

3) In the end, Song San Chuan and Liang You An are indeed 10 years apart.

Sister-brother love has always been easy to watch.  But back to reality, in the words of Liang You An:

"She is an Older Sister whose fear of love is higher than normal.  SSC is a younger brother whose variable factors are higher than normal".

When these two people get together, the feeling is that the stability is not strong enough.  The house may collapse at any time.  Why.  Even with a boyfriend nearer to one's age, the relationship is already never easy for a female.

As a girl, how should LYA eliminate this Fear?  This Fear of two people having a Deep Bond but suddenly Break Up?

Obviously LYA has never experienced a sense of security in an intimate relationship.  Whether it is her mother's experience or her own.  So she is Afraid and Cowardly in the face of the Love which is close at hand.

What do you all think?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Which Ep are u at now?   

I just finished watching ep 21 myself.

Spoiler

I have to say, and its probably an unpopular opinion, I dont feel bad for SSC at the end. LYA, I think, just seems overwhelmed and confused about these feelings for him but SSC seemed to keep pushing his advances onto her. She pushed him away because she was still trying to sort out her feelings for him and doesn't want to get hurt again.

@hush puppyI agree with what you posted about LYA's feelings about love.

Spoiler

I believe she's hesitant on love because of what experience her previous relationship and witnessing what her parents relationship splitting apart.

• Like 1

I am up to Ep 28.   I must say Ep 28 is fun.

Spoiler

1) LYA has a younger, female competitor for SSC's affections.  For SSC's birthday, she invited him to a Freesbee Club.   But LYA managed to flatten that young lady's Ego at a Freesbee match.  That young girl thought she has cornered LYA.  But didn't know that LYA is a Freesbee Expert.

2) Back at LYA's office later,  LYA was giving SSC a reality-check:  when she is 40yrs, SSC will be a mere 30yrs old.  He may look up to LYA for guidance and leadership now.  But sooner or later he will want someone who can look up to him too.  To admire him instead.

3) I love SSC's reply.  To paraphrase him, he said sth like "Why must we look up or down in a relationship?  Why can't we see eye-to-eye with each other?"

(I would say.  Easily said.  But difficult to practise.  Which is why there is so many failed relationships)

4) I love it when LYA finally tells her ex-boss off for being so Arrogant and Self-Centred.  I think he got it at last.  Or did he?

5) And lastly I love Jiao Jiao's Penguin Dance.  :lol:  Very well done.  So Hilarious.

The Middle-Aged Marriage of Jiang Jie & Chen Ke:

I love the way "Nothing But You" touches on the Marriage between Jiang Jie and Chen Ke (Jiao Jiao's parents).  

In the eyes of outsiders, JJ & CK is a model couple.  JJ thought so too.

He feels that he has a successful career.  Has provided his wife & son with a beautiful, big house to live in. Given them very superior material conditions.  No matter how busy he is, he finds time to go home every Saturday for their Family Lunch.  He is a Perfect Husband.

Only his wife knows that their marriage has long been an Empty Shell.  Looks magnificent outside.  But cold & boring inside.

All she wants is  "Love & Attention"  from her husband.  And maybe some  "Respect" as well.   (Very typical of a lot of failed marriages)

Why This Drama Is Different From Similar-Themed Idol-Love Dramas

It is not just about "falling-in-love" and being lovey-dovey all the time.  Where you just hug, hug and hold high at every single turn. Or the usual plots of : the domineering CEO falling in love with the sweet young thing; or "marry first then fall in love later"......  

It is more about two people thinking about Life.  As well as the process of mutual support and growth in difficulties.  Making it more realistic and pyrotechnic.  Because in our daily life, there is not only love. It is easy to love.  But the obstacles in life and the accompanying problems will affect our Emotions and Love-Life as well.

It's insight into life and human nature is very valuable.  And the portrayal of women is brilliant.  (But it is not Perfect.  It has it's flaws too :lol:)

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdingyue.ws.126.net%2F2023%2F0408%2F62395c30j00rsr8yw000zd000hs009vp.jpg&thumbnail=660x2147483647&quality=80&type=jpg

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2023] Nothing But You 爱情而已