Song Il Kook 송일국

KonaBeans

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" Episode 16

photo695499.jpg

Hee-ji belatedly feels some guilt here about jealously trying to use violence to drive Yeong-sil out of the field of science. It's lucky Hee-ji didn't go all the way, even if he was technically operating at the behest of a conspiracy. I continue to find the scientific conspiracies the most baffling part of "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama". They don't even have hired goons or anything, the bad guys are perfectly fine with beating people up in broad daylight while still wearing their fancy clothes. Eggheads have never been so scary.

Fortunately the parts with Yeong-sil are still fairly strong. I like Yeong-sil as a character, and his sense of utter determination. More specifically it's his motivation that really shines. Yeong-sil does not do science for the sake of abstract concepts- he's a scientist because he wants to help enrich the lives of the people. Yeong-sil ultimately decides to fight for his friends, because science is what can bind friendships of any nationality or creed.

As corny as this message is I really do wish "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" would be consistent with it, because passionate performances can sell corniness. They can even sell sadness to a certain extent. The main glaring flaw in "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" as a whole is that there's obviously a lot of passion involved in the production of this drama, it's just very well utilized most of the time.

Take the music. I really love the string music that eventually goes into the bagpipes. At this point I can even feel when we're getting to the kernel of the argument. Yeong-sil starts out with the background and gradually works his way to the part of the explanation that inspires dedication. As character motifs go the bagpipes are quite excellent. They connote formality while also feeling a bit distant and far-off, as are the dreams Yeong-sil has of the future.

This episode is also home to a somewhat dubious honor- this quite possibly has to be the first time I've ever been glad to see a story randomly interrupted by a dance party. It just goes so well with the music! "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" is always able to do such great work with the emotion of joy. Whether it's science or music or friends, everyone loves something and the happiest moment for most of us it just being able to show off that level of ardent devotion. It's moments like that which make me want to give "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" another chance, because when it's good, it's really good.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jang-yeong-sil--drama-episode-16-91882.html

~~~~~~~~~~~

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" Episode 17

photo695827.jpg

While this episode certainly has its share of ominous brooding when it comes to authority figures of dubious reputation, fortunately, for the most part no one actually tries to cash in on the threats. Yeong-sil presents a simple, easily understood alternate scientific theory, and from there it's just a matter of put up or shut up. Good clock design can only get a man so far when the amount of possible elaboration is such that a near infinite variety of models is possible.

As usual "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" is excellent when it comes to technical design. I'd never really put much thought into just how complicated clocks really are- but that's mostly because all the clocks we have today are really small, and we'd need a microscope to really see just what all those parts are doing. Yeong-sil's more epic design offers all sorts of opportunities for further explanation and experimentation. While Yeong-sil's clock isn't perfect, it's clear that he's working on that part.

Aside from the clock we also get a glimpse into the more obviously useful military applications of science. That much is a very good reason to make sure that any nation's scientists are being selected by merit rather than arbitrary class modifiers. It's relieving that we now have characters aside from King Sejong who appreciate that, since that moves the focus of "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" away from politics and more into genuine problems of practicality.

The onl real misstep here is the philosophical material. Given the historical context "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" has shown us so far, I'd think Yeong-sil would be more effective as being symbolic of King Sejong's reforms than he would be an incredibly brilliant man who other characters are jealous of. Just look at Yeong-sil's construction process. He's employing a lot of laborers, and odds are they understand the clock as well as he does, because Yeong-sil had to explain why they were building what.

Given all the problems "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" has had so far with factors like violent upheavels and fires borne of petty spite, though, that much is really more a philosophical quibble. I rather wish the production team had been focusing more on these kinds of politics throughout "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama"- where the main obstacles are overcoming skepticism and forcing characters to reevaluate long held views regarding the proper development and expression of knowledge. I can only hope the tone continues in this way through to the end of the drama.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jang-yeong-sil--drama-episode-17-91906.html

• Like 9

It has been years since I last officially visited this forum. It is perhaps auspicious to be back on a leap day. It is wonderful to see that the fan base for Mr. Song keeps growing strong with new faces actively participating in the discussion while being supported by the faithful ones. I do miss the old times when I couldn't wait to come here to read about the latest news/stories about Mr. Song and to share with all my admiration towards this wonderfully talented actor. I am slowly going through posts started from where I left off to try and catch up with all the amazing stuff happening with Mr. Song's life and career. 

Hope all is well with everyone and I shall hopefully "see you" more regularly going forward. 

• Like 5

Watch: Song Triplets Have Fun in a Winter Wonderland in Instagram Video and Photos

Watch: Song Triplets Have Fun in a Winter Wonderland in Instagram Video and Photos

It looks like everyone’s favorite triplets are enjoying all the fun winter has to offer!

On February 29, Song Il Gook shared photos and a video to Instagram of his sons Daehan, Minguk, and Manse all dressed up in their warmest snow suits to play in the snow.

He writes as the caption to a photo of the triplets standing in a shelter, “Dad is in the middle of filming! The kids are in the middle of… enjoying the last bit of winter~^^.”

daehan minguk manse snow

Song Il Gook next shared a collage of photos of Minguk and Manse wearing their matching owl snow suits and having a great time in the snow. He writes, “Minguk at the top of Balwang Mountain, where he’s had to stay an extra day because of the snowstorm! (Today~^^;) Oh, the top right photo is Manse…”

He then uploaded a photo of Manse smiling in the snow with the caption, “A snow fairy? Manse~^^.”

manse

Lastly, Song Il Gook posted a video of Daehan yelling to his brothers “Come here!” in a way that’s typically used in historical dramas, which we saw Song Il Gook teaching the boys in episodes of “The Return of Superman.” Daehan then runs ahead, giggling excitedly.

As the caption, Song Il Gook writes, “Is this the aftereffect of watching ‘Jang Young Shil’ a lot? Daehan’s ‘Come here’! At Woljeongsa on Odae Mountain~^^ (Yesterday).”

“Jang Young Shil” is of course the KBS drama that Song Il Gook is currently starring in, and that Daehan is known to be a huge fan of.

Be sure to follow Song Il Gook on Instagram for more updates: @songilkook.

credit : soompi news

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chellsee said:

New upload photo of SIK in his IG. :wub:

Hi Chellsee, thanks for sharing this NICE picture of the triplets. It feels good to see that despite of SIG's busy schedule he still finds time to update his IG account for "fan service" - :P

• Like 2

Hi, dear SIKesr!

In Korea is still winter, but we prepare for Spring! A small gift for all SIkers!

12792086_967980409952827_226531882667043

(the ancient Dacian/Thracian/Romanian "martisor" - the Spring symbol - is in full process for being included into UNESCO heritage. For Romanian fans, SIK is himself a symbol of Spring in our hearts! :D  This "martisor" is made by Mariana - man se!)

• Like 5

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 1:12 PM, mlu12 said:

It has been years since I last officially visited this forum. It is perhaps auspicious to be back on a leap day. It is wonderful to see that the fan base for Mr. Song keeps growing strong with new faces actively participating in the discussion while being supported by the faithful ones. I do miss the old times when I couldn't wait to come here to read about the latest news/stories about Mr. Song and to share with all my admiration towards this wonderfully talented actor. I am slowly going through posts started from where I left off to try and catch up with all the amazing stuff happening with Mr. Song's life and career. 

Hope all is well with everyone and I shall hopefully "see you" more regularly going forward. 

Welcome back, MLU12.  i also miss your photoshops of Sik.

There are many reasons why sometimes we mellow down on our posts.  But true love stays strong and forever.  Sik did not have any project for two years and old fans like us, especially Kona had a hard time keeping this thread moving.  Thanks to ROS and the triplets, his career was revived.  There were also some fans who posted videos they created to this thread and that helped a lot.

• Like 4

Added episodes 16 and 17 captures for the Korean drama 'Jang Yeong-sil - Drama

photo696283.jpg

Added episodes 16 and 17 captures for the Korean drama "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" (2016)

Directed by Kim Yeong-jo

Written by Lee Myeong-hee, Ma Chang-joon

Network : KBS

With Song Il-gook, Kim Sang-kyeong, Kim Young-cheol, Park Seon-yeong, Kim Do-hyun, Son Byeong-ho,...

24 episodes - Sat, Sun 21:40
Synopsis
Born as the child of a mean concubine, during the time when Confusianism was the only order in the world, Jang Yeong-sil was a brilliant scientist whose scientific skills were considered the world's greatest.

Broadcast starting date in Korea : 2016/01/02

Spoiler

photo696280.jpg

photo696281.jpg

Source : www.hancinema.net/kor...

Spoiler

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Chellsee said:

Newly posted video from SIK Instagram. 

Hi Chellsee, thanks for sharing this clip. I totally enjoyed watching the triplets.  They're still cute.  So NICE of SIG that he's able to let us have a glimpse into their world up to now.:P

• Like 5