Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

Guest kaz11

" I feel like people are either going to love or hate Hyo Joo's portrayal of Yeon Joo. "

I believe so. I also think that some viewers probably were not prepared that W's also a comedy because, you have to admit, it was promoted as a fantastical, suspenseful melodrama. Or they could not understand the character Oh Yeon Joo or her predicament. Her situation is bizarre to the point of being comical. Imagine yourself being sucked into a webtoon, a webtoon that you fangirl over. I probably would look more ridiculous in it or react like a lunatic. Hyo Joo is on point LOL, and  the production and the writer made the smart move of turning this into a comedy early on to engage and hook the viewers (knetz are loving W so far for the fun and fresh show that it is), before they change the tone and move into melodrama territory. 

1 hour ago, ohnoitscindy said:

however, upon rewatching the episodes, I do hope that she kind of tones down the widening her eyes to express emotions better. It's the only thing that really bothers me but I think that's just kind of how Kdrama acting is lol because I don't remember her doing it in her films.

Yeah, I kind of noticed that too. I never saw her doing that in her movies, but apparently that's a K-drama thing? Well, let's see how it works out in the next few episodes where she isn't that shocked/surprised anymore! 

I totally agree with the character development thing. I just hope she ends up doing what she loves and stands for what she believes.

• Like 5

Guest kaz11

Anyway, I believe these have not been posted before, INSTYLE scans :)

Cn-DbkLUMAAbqbl.jpg

Cn-DbkKUAAAh_Bs.jpg

Spoiler

Cn-DbneUsAEDFqJ.jpg

Cn-DbkMUIAAJke5.jpg

Source:  @tjdmswl0111

ETA: But ep 2! Where to start... lol. HEOL. When Hyo Joo said this I just died. I freaking love Yeon Joo so much. I think she shined in this episode. So many great scenes, the time skip, car and shopping mall scenes, ending scene. I love this intelligent writer. I cannot believe I am quoting this from a Knet but W is shaping up to be my favorite K-drama of all time. I am so glad she chose this as her drama comeback, this seems like the kind that only gets better with each episode. And I am pleased that it is receiving much buzz and positive word-of-mouth locally and internationally because it deserves it. I am not worried about ratings lol, I believe we have a hit.

OMG that first shot of her! Imagine opening the magazine and seeing that... Absolutely breathtaking shot! 

@kaz11: Before W aired, and MBC were releasing all the promo stuff, I kept wondering to myself what genre is this drama exactly? Like they had the obvious suspense/thriller elements but also really hammy comical moments in the trailers as well as things like the random but cute IG posts with the characters' scores on them and now the Pokemon Go ones lol. But it makes sense now. I'm really happy that it started off kind of light with the comedic moments because we're definitely in for a ride with all the melodrama/angst that's bound to come as the story delves on. It's not taking itself too seriously yet and I really love the meta moments and all the world-building that's being done right now. OYJ is the only character in the drama so far that can really highlight the fact that the world she travels to is a completely different realm. So by freaking out and acting crazy, it drives a nice contrast with the normality of the webtoon characters. They're completely at ease because this is their world. I think all her reactions are fantastic, especially in episode 2 when she's at the bus stop, then in the car, and then in the store lol. It's just the widening of the eyes that can be a little distracting when repeat watching. 

I also find it really interesting that the characters in OYJ's world are almost caricatures but the W webtoon characters are calm and collected. Even Kang Chul hardly reacts when being slapped lol. The great thing about this drama is that there's so much to speculate that you can't even really criticize acting because for all we know, there might be a twist that'll explain why there's such an extreme contrast between the characters in each world.

@ayleeannn: I know she had some criticism about doing the bug-eyed expressions in Dong Yi, but that was mostly because the PD wanted it to be like that. I think most Kdrama romcom heroines all tend to act like that. I'm not sure why :\ but I want to say it is intentional. It's weird that the acting in dramas is different from films. You would think that they would be the same. The drama is moving so fast and judging from the long trailer, OYJ might not even have any time to really take a breather and come to terms with all the craziness that's going around her lol. Because next episode she's gonna be held at gunpoint, we know she's going to get arrested, and then we have Kang Chul coming into her world! There's so much that's going to happen. Poor girl lmao

I'm excited that Soo Bong believes her now and is actually going to be helping her. Having someone else be aware and acknowledge all the crazy will hopefully make OYJ act less impulsively because now she has someone to plan and consult with. And I agree, OYJ definitely deserves some nice I am the one in control of my own life! mentality after all that she'd have gone through with being forced into another realm to do the bidding of someone or something. Really curious to see what scriptwriter plans to do with her drawing abilities. But imagine dropping out and becoming an artist... All those unpaid student loans lmao 

• Like 7

Good day hyolics!!!Those negative comments are only comes from those nonsense and bitter people who really don't like our Hyojoo! They just couldn't believe and accept that our angel is going back on her success and got this beautifully-written and awesome drama (my praises to the genius writer and director of W) and is receiving a lot of love from netizens!!!:wub:

I believe that this drama is going to be a Hit (reaching up to 40+ ratings:D)! And they deserve many awards especially our Hyojoo:) I firmly believe that hyojoo and jongsuk will receive a lot of best couple awards. Ohhhh i'm so excited for them! My only problem is the agony of waiting every week for the next episodes! :bawling:Thank you guys for the updates, it makes the waiting more bearable seeing our angel in bts photos/videos and news!!!:)

W fighting! Hyojoo fighting! God bless! :blush:

• Like 5

I just read the review about hyojoo in allkpop and feel angry for the writer's obvious dislike to our Hyojoo.....:angry: but then i got teary-eyed:dissapointed_relieved: after reading those many comments defending our hyojoo! She is really a gem worth fighting for! kamsahamnida!!!! Hyojoo is the best! :blush:

• Like 6

Because i only focising in Hanhyojoo, that why i don't know anything about another. I just feel like i'm cheer up for everything about her. So let's cheer up for W, cheer up for Ohyeonjoo and cheer up to our Hanhyojoo.  As well as she do it her best, i believe the great ratting will come to her as soon. :)

Edited by orn1301
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, keisha15 said:

I just read the review about hyojoo in allkpop and feel angry for the writer's obvious dislike to our Hyojoo.....:angry: but then i got teary-eyed:dissapointed_relieved: after reading those many comments defending our hyojoo! She is really a gem worth fighting for! kamsahamnida!!!! Hyojoo is the best! :blush:

:crazy:moya ~ just read it. AKP,aaah.its been quite long time not read articles from there. not a nice writer anyway~

oooh,btw,still remember,i had once sent tip to them..and it's regarding Hyo Joo become an endorsement model for one brand. hehe..

• Like 2

It really bugs that AKP would hire a writer like that; calling him/her a writer is an insult to the other writers. However, I do find comfort in the comment session where everyone simply stood up for Hyo Joo. I don't know whether to call it a blessing in disguise to see that in the face of such unfair slander, there are still so many people who defended and supported our girl. I'm just gonna do myself a favor and never again read AKP's so-called drama review. As for her acting, I gonna say that after watching all of her dramas and films, this is likely the first time she approached her character in such a quirky and silly manner. She's a darn good actress no doubt but I've found that, regardless of acting, writing or directing, comedy genre is probably the most difficult. Our individual sense of humor is very subjective, and even for actress like Lee Hana who's known for playing wacky characters have trouble pleasing everyone. There's a fine line between comedic acting and overly-exaggerated acting, one which I cannot really quite define either. Hyo Joo really is doing a terrific job portraying a character that freaks out almost every now and then. I feel that Yeon Joo is a character that would closely grow on us. 

Anyway, thanks for the instyle scans! I wanna cry in tears of joy. She's the most beautiful thing eva:bawling:

@ohnoitscindy If I'm not wrong, the difference is that drama plays on small screen while film plays on big screen. Hence, drama acting are often adapted from theatrical acting, whereby the actor stands on a big stage. The actors relies on huge and sometimes exaggerated mannerism so that the audience can see and understand from where they are seated. However, film acting is more subtle because the audience can see very little small details from the huge screen.

• Like 6

Guest kaz11

Lol that is why I do not like to post articles from allkpop or other sites/blogs because I think some authors write with an agenda or for click-bait purposes. 

@ohnoitscindy I also LOVE how meta this show is and how the transitions from real world to web toon are done seamlessly by the director, editor and Hyo Joo. She said that it was not easy to shoot this because scenes are  not filmed chronologically? Well, you couldn't tell really because of their execution. So immersive. 

Also,  at this point I trust the writer, that we are going to have good character development for Yeon Joo. And I really like that so far the female lead is driving the direction of the story. As much as I love the comedy I also cannot wait for the angst and melodrama to come. 

And I just have to comment that I love Joon Young's song and his voice. Can we have another song from him? :P

Her character in this slightly reminds me of her character in Nonstop 5 lol. That Hyo Joo was really quirky as well. I think all of OYJ's reactions and facial expressions and little mannerisms to be really cute and natural. None of them take me out of the story and give me pause. But yes, humor is one of the hardest genre to pull off as an actor/actress. Natural comedic talent is so often underappreciated too because it's not as "emotive" as playing a dramatic scene. 

If Kdramas tend to rely on more stage acting than nuance acting because of the size of the screen, wouldn't the close up frames kind of dispute this? But eh, whatever, lol. We'll see how her acting goes along the lines. I think she'll struggle more with the comedy than with the melo as the drama goes on. Hyo Joo isn't called the melodrama queen for no reason lol. I'm also really glad that it seems that OYJ is more of the main character so far and that she's basically the glue that's holding everything together. 

I got all warm hearted at all the comments defending Hyo Joo in the AKP review as well :3 Even though Hyo Joo has been acting for so long, I never felt that her popularity with international fans to be that high. So I love that this drama is bringing in so many viewers, both Koreans and international ones. Hopefully it is enough for the public to love her again.

I seriously can't get JJY's song stuck in my head! haha It's so soft and pretty. I actually only like his "Sympathy" song but I love his voice so I'm so darn excited that he's a part of the OST and that I actually really like the song! Can't wait for them to release it officially and hope JJY will explain why he participated in the song (we all know why... you like noona so much :P

I just remembered how Hyo Joo said in an interview a while ago that she wanted to do a trendy drama. Looks like she's got her wish ^_^ 

Anyway, sketch of our beautiful Hyo Joo and the brand of the dress she wore for the Taiwanese poster shoot

• Like 7

Tbh i also searched Hyo Joo's name in twitter and i found that people are also liking her and her character... yes she has been acting for quite some time, people still dont know her as much, probably due to her absence from the drama field and I'm just so glad that more people are getting to know her too~

So far we are getting good reviews of her acting and hopefully this stays throughout the drama or even after it ends..:D

Anyway, Section TV later at 3.45pm KST!

• Like 5

Oh, Jong Suk is still wearing that outfit from last episode... Is this the next episode? I thought they were finished filming until episode 9 or so? Either way, can't wait for Chul to pay Yeon Joo a visit in her world!

• Like 4