[Upcoming Drama 2022/2025] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae- Season 2 premieres on December 26

larus

March 7, 2022

'Squid Game' production designer wins prize at ADG Awards

spacer.png

By Lee Gyu-lee

Chae Kyoung-sun, the production designer of Netflix's smash-hit series "Squid Game," has notched an accolade at the 26th Art Directors Guild (ADG) Awards.

The production designer of Netflix series 'Squid Game' won an award at the 26th Art Directors Guild (ADG) Awards, Monday. Courtesy of Netflix
Chae Kyoung-sun, the production designer of Netflix's smash-hit series "Squid Game" / Courtesy of Chae Kyoung-sun

The designer won in the One Hour Contemporary Single-Camera Series category with the sixth episode of the series, "Gganbu," during this year's ceremony held in Los Angeles, Saturday (local time). 

Other nominees competing for the category were Stephen Carter from HBO's comedy-drama series "Succession," Elisabeth Williams from Hulu's dystopian series "The Handmaid's Tale," Nelson Coates from the Apple TV+ drama series "The Morning Show" and Cary White from Paramount Network's "Yellowstone."

The art director has worked on various films, including comedy disaster film "Exit" (2019) and period blockbuster "The Fortress" (2017) which was directed by "Squid Game" director Hwang Dong-hyuk. 

She had won two awards from Korea's Grand Bell Awards for her work with the period films "Detective K: Secret of the Virtuous Widow" (2011) and "The Royal Tailor" (2014). 

Founded in 1995, the annual ADG Awards are organized by the guild to recognize excellence in art direction and production design across the film, TV and entertainment industries.

The music video for BTS and Coldplay's collaborative song "My Universe" was also nominated at the awards in the music videos category. However, another nominee for the category, Ethan Tobman for Taylor Swift's music video "All Too Well," claimed the award. 

Lee Ha-jun, who was the art director of the Oscar-winning Korean film "Parasite," was the last Korean to receive an ADG award, at the 24th ADG Awards in 2020 in the contemporary film category.

Meanwhile, the cast members of "Squid Game" are also sweeping up trophies as award season continues. 

Its lead actors Lee Jung-jae won Best Male Performance at the 37th Independent Spirit Awards, held in Santa Monica on Sunday, following his big win at the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards on Feb. 28.

Lee and Jung Ho-yeon were named the best actor and actress in a drama series at this year's SAG Awards, beating out competitive nominees like Brian Cox from "Succession," and Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon from "The Morning Show."

The series also won Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a TV series at the SAG Awards.

Source:  https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2022/03/688_325047.html

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

“Squid Game” Stars Lee Jung Jae, Jung Ho Yeon, And Park Hae Soo Announced As Presenters For 2022 Critics Choice Awards

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Mar 12, 2022
by E. Cha

The 2022 Critics Choice Awards has revealed a star-studded lineup of presenters that includes “Squid Game” stars Lee Jung Jae, Jung Ho Yeon, and Park Hae Soo!

After being postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 27th annual Critics Choice Awards—which was originally scheduled to take place on January 9—will air live on March 13 at 7 p.m. ET.

In addition to “Squid Game” being nominated for three awards this year—Best Drama Series, Best Foreign Language Series, and Best Actor (Lee Jung Jae)—the three leads of the hit series will also be serving as presenters at the award ceremony in Los Angeles.

Aside from Lee Jung Jae, Jung Ho Yeon, and Park Hae Soo, other presenters for this year’s awards include Jimmy Kimmel, Kristen Wiig, Serena and Venus Williams, Issa Rae, Ava DuVernay, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Carey Mulligan, Taika Waititi, Mandy Moore, Jamie Dornan, Mayim Bialik, Ray Romano, J.K. Simmons, Ken Jeong, Joel McHale, and more.

“Squid Game” director Hwang Dong Hyuk will also be attending the upcoming award ceremony.

Lee Jung Jae and Jung Ho Yeon recently made history at the 28th Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards, where they became the first Korean actors ever to win the awards for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series respectively. Lee Jung Jae also won Best Male Performance in a New Scripted Series at the 37th Film Independent Spirit Awards earlier this week.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1516913wpp/squid-game-stars-lee-jung-jae-jung-ho-yeon-and-park-hae-soo-announced-as-presenters-for-2022-critics-choice-awards

• Like 1

March 14, 2022.

“Squid Game” Wins 2 Awards At 27th Critics Choice Awards

Mar 14, 2022
by S. Nam

“Squid Game” is continuing to sweep awards!

On March 13 local time, the 27th Critics Choice Awards took place in Los Angeles, California. “Squid Game” won two out of three awards it was nominated for including Best Foreign Language Series and Best Actor in a Drama Series (Lee Jung Jae). The show was also nominated for Best Drama Series, which “Succession” took the win for.

“Squid Game” faced off against “Acapulco,” “Call My Agent!” “Lupin,” “Money Heist,” and “Narcos: Mexico” to snag Best Foreign Language Series. Meanwhile, Lee Jung Jae won against fellow nominees Sterling K. Brown (“This Is Us”), Mike Colter (“Evil”), Brian Cox (“Succession”), Billy Porter (“Pose”), and Jeremy Strong (“Succession”). During his acceptance speech, Lee Jung Jae shared, “I’m grateful to an extent I can’t express. I’m grateful to Netflix and ‘Squid Game.'”

Furthermore, Lee Jung Jae, Jung Ho Yeon, and Park Hae Soo served as presenters at the award ceremony, announcing the award for Best Actress in a Limited Series or Movie Made for Television.

Lee Jung Jae and Jung Ho Yeon recently made history at the 28th Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards, where they became the first Korean actors ever to win the awards for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series, respectively. Lee Jung Jae also won Best Male Performance in a New Scripted Series at the 37th Film Independent Spirit Awards earlier this month.

Congratulations to the cast of “Squid Game”!

Source (1)

Source:  Soompi

March 14, 2022

'Squid Game' wins best foreign language series, best actor at Critics Choice 

Entertainment 11:53 March 14, 2022

spacer.png

SEOUL, March 14 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean sensation "Squid Game" has won best non-English language TV series and best actor at this year's Critics Choice Awards.

At the ceremony held by the Critics Choice Association in Los Angeles on Sunday (U.S. time), "Squid Game" was named Best Foreign Language Series and its lead Lee Jung-jae won Best Actor in a Drama Series.

For the best foreign language award, the all-Korean Netflix original competed with the Mexican comedy "Acapulco," the French comedy drama "Call My Agent!" the French thriller "Lupin," the Spanish crime action series "Money Heist" and the American-Mexican crime drama "Narcos: Mexico."

It is the first time that a South Korea-made TV show has won a prize at the Critics Choice, given by a group of 500 film and TV broadcast critics in North America.

spacer.png

On the film side, in 2020, the Oscar-winning satire "Parasite" grabbed best foreign language film, while director Bong Joon-ho won best direction.

Last year, "Minari," a drama film about a Korean American immigrant family, won best foreign language film. 

By taking home the best actor trophy, Lee became the second South Korean to win a title at the Critics Choice, following director Bong two years ago.

The actor beat five other candidates, including Sterling K. Brown of "This Is Us," Mike Colter of "Evil," Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong of "Succession" and Billy Porter of "Pose." Lee is the only non-English performer among the nominees.

It marked the third consecutive week that he received a best actor honor for his role in "Squid Game" following the ones from the Screen Actors (SAG) Guild Awards and the Film Independent Spirit Awards.

"Thank you very much, the Critics Choice Awards and everyone who loved and supported 'Squid Game,'" Lee said in an acceptance speech. "I can't express how wonderful I feel now. Thank you, Netflix and my 'Squid Game' team!"

spacer.png

But for the best drama series section, "Squid Game" lost to HBO's "Succession," which also won best supporting actor and actress awards.

The nine-part survival drama depicts a mysterious deadly contest, in which heavily debt-ridden people attempt to win 45.6 billion won (US$37.9 million) in prize money.

With the latest award-winning rally in recent months, "Squid Game" has emerged as a strong contender for the upcoming Emmy Awards, expected to be held in September.

In November last year, it won Breakthrough Series -- Long Format (over 40 minutes) at the Gotham Awards for lower-budget indie movies and TV series, while it received a special honor from the American Film Institute (AFI).

It collected best supporting actor in a TV drama series at the Golden Globes and took two SAG Awards when Lee and Jung Ho-yeon won best lead actor prizes a few weeks ago.

It also got multiple nominations and prizes at other awards ceremonies by Hollywood guilds, including the Producers Guild of America, the American Cinema Editors and the Art Directors Guild.

brk@yna.co.kr

(END)

Source:  https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220314002152315?section=culture/entertainment

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Mar 14, 2022
by S. Nam

“Squid Game” is continuing to sweep awards!

On March 13 local time, the 27th Critics Choice Awards took place in Los Angeles, California. “Squid Game” won two out of three awards it was nominated for including Best Foreign Language Series and Best Actor in a Drama Series (Lee Jung Jae). The show was also nominated for Best Drama Series, which “Succession” took the win for.

“Squid Game” faced off against “Acapulco,” “Call My Agent!” “Lupin,” “Money Heist,” and “Narcos: Mexico” to snag Best Foreign Language Series. Meanwhile, Lee Jung Jae won against fellow nominees Sterling K. Brown (“This Is Us”), Mike Colter (“Evil”), Brian Cox (“Succession”), Billy Porter (“Pose”), and Jeremy Strong (“Succession”). During his acceptance speech, Lee Jung Jae shared, “I’m grateful to an extent I can’t express. I’m grateful to Netflix and ‘Squid Game.'”

Furthermore, Lee Jung Jae, Jung Ho Yeon, and Park Hae Soo served as presenters at the award ceremony, announcing the award for Best Actress in a Limited Series or Movie Made for Television.

Lee Jung Jae and Jung Ho Yeon recently made history at the 28th Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards, where they became the first Korean actors ever to win the awards for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series, respectively. Lee Jung Jae also won Best Male Performance in a New Scripted Series at the 37th Film Independent Spirit Awards earlier this month.

Congratulations to the cast of “Squid Game”!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1517194wpp/squid-game-wins-2-awards-at-27th-critics-choice-awards

• Like 1

Squid Game boss shares disappointing season 2 update

"Everything is secret."

14/03/2022

Squid Game won't be returning to our screens anytime soon it seems, as the show's boss has shared a less than promising update on when we can expect new episodes.

The huge hit Korean survival drama has been confirmed for a second season at Netflix, but production might take a bit longer than expected.

At this year's Critics Choice Awards, Squid Game creator Hwang Dong-hyuk told Variety that a season two script doesn't even exist just yet.

"It's here. Not on the page, it's here," he said, pointing at his head, hinting it could be a while until we see anything on screen. "Everything is secret. I cannot tell anything."

He then reassured fans that an epic comeback is next for Lee Jung-jae's character Seong Gi-hun, admitting: "But he will come back and do something for the world."

The South Korean actor has previously hinted at season two, admitting not to know much about it — except that Seong Gi-hun will return to the game arena to fight for his life.

"I have no idea what will happen or the scale of it, but the only thing [director Hwang] did tell me was that Seong Gi-hun is going to be in the show again, and he's going to be playing in the arena again," he told People.

seong-gi-hun-squid-game-1633960036.jpg?r

Creator Hwang Dong-hyuk compared the conflict between Seong Gi-hun and the Front Man (Lee Byung-hun) to Star Wars, saying that the protagonist will have a more active role in the upcoming chapter.

"I would think that in the second season, what he has learned from the games and his experience in the first season, they will all be put to use in a more active manner," he told Entertainment Weekly.

"And at the same time, as for the Front Man, who was also a past winner but became a Front Man, it's like Darth Vader. Some end up Jedi and some become Darth Vader, right?"

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a39429504/squid-game-boss-disappointing-season-2-update/

Squid Game Season 2 Updates Coming Soon, Says Creator

Squid Game creator Hwang Dong-hyuk indicates that updates about the show's highly anticipated season 2 will be coming along soon.

By Dan Zinski Published 13 hours ago

Squid-Game-Season-2-Updates-Coming-Soon.

Squid Game creator Hwang Dong-hyuk teases a season 2 update coming soon. Season 1 of Netflix’s Korean drama show about a group of down-on-their-luck strangers being roped into a mysterious and deadly series of games proved to be a huge hit for the streamer when it arrived in late 2021.

The hugeness of Squid Game season 1 indeed left the show’s legion of fans wondering if-and-when a second season might be made. Some fan anxiety was in fact alleviated back in January when Netflix confirmed the show is for sure getting a second season. Now the question is when that second season will actually arrive on the streaming service.

It wasn’t exactly an announcement of a release date for Squid Game season 2, but creator Dong-hyuk did at least have something to say about the show’s future when he appeared along with his cast on the red carpet before Sunday night’s Critics Choice Awards. When asked by ET for a status update on season 2 Dong-hyuk said “I’m working on it. We will announce it soon so just wait.” He also spoke to the pressure of following up such a massive hit as Squid Game season 1, saying “Season 1 was like kind of the best in the history of Netflix. It's such pressure for me you know and I’d like to please people with waiting for the season 2.”

squid-game-masked-man-color-shift.jpg?q=

Naturally Dong-hyuk offered up no details about what Squid Game season 2 might delve into story-wise. Season 1 of course ended with the show’s lead character Gi-hun (Lee Jung-jae) winning the titular Squid Game and being returned back into the world with his cash prize. But even after such a seemingly positive resolution there was still more mystery, as Gi-hun’s former Squid Game ally Oh Il-nam (O Yeong-su) shockingly revealed himself to be the game’s actual inventor. Things then ended on a cliffhanger with Gi-hun apparently ready to dive back into the game despite his being free to fly off and reconnect with his daughter.

It remains to be seen how things play out for Gi-hun in Squid Game season 2 but Jung-jae did previously tease that his character will indeed return to the arena. Given how fanatical Squid Game’s fans are it’s of course easy to understand their being eager for the return of Gi-hun in season 2. But it’s also easy to understand why Dong-hyuk would not want to rush that second season, as he appreciates how high expectations are and surely wants to deliver the best show possible. Now it seems some kind of Squid Game season 2 update is in the offing, though it's unlikely this update would provide many specific details about the story. The announcement of a release date would be the biggest possible piece of news at this point, so perhaps that's what is coming.

https://screenrant.com/squid-game-season-2-updates-creator-response-2/

• Like 1

March 22, 2022

‘Squid Game’ Director Says Jung Ho Yeon May Come Back as a Twin in Season 2

by Eungee Joh

squid game season 2 jung ho yeonCredit: GETTY IMAGES/MATT WINKELMEYER & Netflix

On the red carpet at Saturday’s PGA Awards ceremony, Squid Game creator Hwang Dong Hyuk gave a scoop on the upcoming season of the South Korean killer survival drama.

According to Deadline on the 19th, the director revealed that he is working hard on ideas for the next season of his smash-hit show. He said, “There will be more great games, that’s all I can say. I’m just still brainstorming and collecting the ideas for Season 2. I haven’t even started with the writing yet.”

When he was asked if there would be any flashbacks or if the characters from season 1 would somehow come back, he replied, “No, because most of them are dead. But I will try something to bring them back to the second season,” with a laugh.

He then looked at Jung Ho Yeon, who was gesturing beside him on the red carpet, and said, “Let’s say maybe she has a twin sister, you’ll see.” The actress giggled and replied, “I could change my hair color. Let’s do a little like plastic surgery.”

When asked if he was astonished by the show’s unexpected popularity, the creator replied, “Who can expect this kind of success? I tried hard to make a successful show, but I never expected this much success. It was a surprise.”

The series won three SAG Awards this year and has become the most-watched Netflix show ever since its September 17th release.

Source (1)https://zapzee.net/2022/03/21/squid-game-director-says-jung-ho-yeon-may-come-back-as-a-twin-in-the-second-season/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

12 Great Gateway K-Dramas To Introduce To Your Friends

Apr 6, 2022

Trying to get that friend into the wonderful world of K-dramas? There are a lot out there, and one is bound to suck your friends in. All it really takes is one good drama! We’d visited this topic before about K-dramas to introduce to your friends, and although it is a solid list, here are 12 more to add.

2. “Squid Game”

squid-game.jpeg

The series that took the world by storm, “Squid Game” is a story about 456 participants who engage in a series of children’s games in hopes of winning 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million). Lee Jung JaePark Hae Soo, Jung Ho Yeon, and Wi Ha Joon star in this drama about players who fight to the death in order to win the prize money.

Let’s be honest, who hasn’t watched “Squid Game”? The series has even brought the cast to international fame. With its unique and bone-chilling plot line, it is guaranteed to intrigue even the most frequent of series watchers. There is nothing out there that’s quite like it, and once you start, it’s almost impossible to not watch until the end. The cliffhangers will keep you on edge!

squid-game.gif

• Like 1

‘Squid Game’ Creator Reveals Return Of Two Key Characters For Season 2 — Contenders TV

1390516661-e1649533115914.jpg?w=681&h=38

Squid Game creator, director and writer Hwang Dong-hyuk and actor Park Hae-soo joined TV editor Peter White for Deadline’s annual Contenders Television at Paramount Studios to discuss what fans might expect from the upcoming sophomore season of the Korean dystopian drama.

The creator ended up revealing two big names that are returning.

“Gi-hun for sure. He will be back and I believe the Front Man will back too,” Hwang said.

Gi-hun, played by the now-SAG Award-winning actor Lee Jung-jae, is the Squid Game protagonist that survives the gauntlet of deadly children’s games whose return is teased at the very end of the first season. Portrayed by superstar actor Lee Byung-hun under a black mask, the Front Man, on the other hand, is the brooding villain and boss of the deadly games that pit 456 cash-strapped players against each other for a cash prize of 45.6 billion won.

Although the return of these characters was expected, this is Hwang’s first public acknowledgment of their return.

Several weeks earlier, the Squid Game creator also teased to Deadline about the possible return of HoYeon Jung, who plays the North Korean refugee contestant on the series, as her own evil twin sister.

Since the launch of Netflix’s most-watched show ever, Hwang hopes the show has broken the language barrier and convinces Western audience to do what the rest of the world has done for English-language media.

“My hope is that a work like Squid Game in a little way has opened the door. I hope American audiences give the piece a chance and that you read the subtitles and watch without dubbing. We’re hoping that we open that opportunity,” Hwang said.

Park Hae-soo, who plays Sang-woo, a former ex-con businessman who darkens towards the end of the show, thought the final game in Squid Game was by far the most difficult to play.

Park explained the difficulty of playing the complex character was due to the fact “the character was someone very regular.”

“[He is] someone we can see in our day to day lives. When I approached him, I didn’t start thinking about him as a villain. Rather, he was affected by the situations and environment that he was placed in,” Park said.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/squid-game-creator-hwang-dong-hyuk-return-key-characters-season-2-interview-contenders-tv-1234998081/

• Like 1

April 11, 2022

"Squid Game 2" is expected to return in 2024! Director Hwang Dong Hyuk: "Lee Jung Jae and Lee Byung Hun will continue to perform for the second season"  The whereabouts of Jung Ho Yeon’s Kang Sae Byeoh?

spacer.png

When Director Hwang Dong Hyuk of "Squid Game" mentioned the much-anticipated Netflix "Squid Game 2”; in addition to revealing that it is expected to be released in 2024, he also mentioned the main actors, including the familiar No. 456 Lee Jung Jae, Front Man  Lee Byung Hun will appear.  But will Jung Ho Yeon, who was already out in the first season, has a chance to appear again?

spacer.png

Director Hwang Dong Hyuk and actor Park Hae Soo recently appeared on the American show "Deadline Contenders Television", and mentioned that “Seong Gi  Hun  (played by Lee Jung Jae) will definitely appear in the second season, and I believe Front Man (played by Lee Byung Hun) will also come back. "Seong Gi  Hun, played by Lee Jung Jae, has hinted that he is coming back at the end of the first season. He also said in a previous interview: "I hope to perform with Lee Byung Hun in the second season." This is the first time that Lee Byung Hun hun has been mentioned by the director that he is about to return.

Earlier, director Huang Dong Hyuk talked to reporters about the role of Kang Sae Byeok  played by Jung Ho Yeon on the red carpet of the PGA Awards (Producer's Guild of America Awards) ceremony in the United States in March, and joked to overseas reporters: "What if Kang Sae Byeok ’s character is set to be a twin? ?" Although it's just a joke, considering Jung Ho Yeon's current popularity in the world, although Kang Sae Byeok died in the first season, it is not impossible for her to play another role in the second season.

Director Huang Donghe also mentioned that for works like "Squid Game", he hopes that American audiences will have the opportunity to read the subtitles and not watch the dubbed version.  (Korean original sound). Regarding his next work, "Killing the Old Man's Club", he said that this project must take into account political polarization, cultural differences and dilemmas, and changes in the real environment and climate, etc. He will observe and continue to produce these themes in the future. . "Squid Game 2" is scheduled to meet audiences in 2024.

spacer.png

Source:  https://www.koreastardaily.com/sc/news/140767

• Like 1

by lo_ve, April 11, 2022
2 2

Director Hwang Dong Hyuk, the mastermind behind "Squid Game" shared the returning characters in the second season.

On April 11th director Hwang Dong Hyuk confirmed that Lee Jung Jae and Lee Byung Hun will return to the second season "Squid Game Season 2." 

According to US media outlet Deadline, the director mentioned that characters Seong Gi Hoon and the "Front Man" will surely return to the upcoming new season. Also, according to the media outlet, Director Hwang Dong Hyuk teased and jokingly stated that the twin counterpart of Cho Sang Woo and Kang Sae Byeok might also appear. Park Hae Soo played the character Cho Sang Wook and Jung Ho Yeon played as Kang Sae Byeok the film. 

The director of the film also commented, "I hope that works like 'Squid Game' in a way have opened the door to foreign audiences. I hope that American viewers can give a chance to see the original and read the subtitles without dubbing. We are hoping that we open that opportunity."

The first season "Squid Game" was led by Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Jung Ho Yeon, Wi Ha Joon, Anupam Tripathi, Oh Young Soo, and more.  The drama became the topmost viewed original series on Netflix in 2021. It first premiered in September 2021. It became the top on Netflix's list in different countries for several weeks.

Meanwhile, "Squid Game Season 2" aims to air at the end of 2024.

wyBJJ_2f.jpg

Before director Hwang Dong Hyuk proceeds with filming for "Squid Game Season 2," he is currently working on the upcoming film "Killing Old People Club." According to him, this movie will be more violent than his recent work "Squid Game." 

Director Hwang Dong Hyuk is known for being the man behind films "The Fortress," "Miss Granny," "Silenced," and "My Father." The director has received a lot of recognition both in Korea and overseas. 

Source

https://mydramalist.com/article/squid-game-2-director-hints-on-which-cast-members-will-return-in-the-new-season

“Squid Game” Director Confirms Lee Jung Jae’s And Lee Byung Hun’s Return In Season 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Apr 11, 2022
by M. Kang

There is exciting news regarding the second season of “Squid Game”!

On April 9, director Hwang Dong Hyuk appeared on Deadline’s Contenders Television in Los Angeles with Park Hae Soo and stated, “Seong Gi Hun (Lee Jung Jae) will definitely return. I believe in his return, and I also believe that the Front Man (Lee Byung Hun) will return.” The ending of the final episode hinted at Seong Gi Hun’s return, but while it was implied that the Front Man will be appearing in Season 2, this is the first time that his return has been officially brought up.

Previously, when asked about the cast for the second season, director Hwang Dong Hyuk joked, “The twin brother of Cho Sang Woo (Park Hae Soo) or the twin sister of Kang Sae Byeok (Jung Ho Yeon) may make an appearance.”

Park Hae Soo also commented on his character Cho Sang Woo, saying, “He’s a character that you can meet in your everyday life.” He added, “I didn’t approach the character with the thought of him being a villain from the start. Rather, he is a figure that was influenced by his situation and surroundings.”

Director Hwang Dong Hyuk remarked, “I hope that projects such as ‘Squid Game’ have opened the doors at least a little [when it comes to the language barrier]. I wish it becomes an opportunity for the American audience to view [projects] without dubbing while reading subtitles. We are hoping that this opportunity opens up.”

He also shared details on his upcoming work “Killing Old People Club,” stating, “I can’t help but consider the political polarization, cultural differences and obstacles, and ongoing climate change for my current and future projects. I will continue to observe and criticize these topics and incorporate them into my pieces.”

What are you looking forward to in the next season of “Squid Game”?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1521571wpp/squid-game-director-confirms-lee-jung-jaes-and-lee-byung-huns-return-in-season-2

• 3 weeks later...

Wi Ha Joon Opens Up About Why He Felt Anxious After The Success Of “Squid Game”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Apr 26, 2022
by E. Cha

In a recent interview and pictorial for Dazed Korea magazine, Wi Ha Joon talked about his life philosophy and his reaction to the massive success of “Squid Game.”

In the past, the “Squid Game” star has spoken about being “all too aware” of the fact that fame and popularity can sweep in and out in the blink of an eye, just like the tide—and he has therefore expressed his determination not to remain stagnant and to never stop working hard to move forward.

When asked where he thought this mindset of his had originated, Wi Ha Joon replied with a laugh, “I think I may have been trained to have that sort of mindset since I was young. Because my parents always told me this as well. ‘Always be humble, don’t act up or get cocky.'”

Wi-Ha-Joon.jpeg

He went on to share that he had thought about this particular situation from the very beginning of his career, explaining, “When I started out playing minor roles after my debut, I repeatedly made up my mind: ‘If there ever comes a time when lots of people take an interest in me, let’s not be happy one day and sad the next. Let’s be consistent. Let’s not hear people say that I’ve changed, and let’s be humble.’ I kept telling myself things like this.”

“I also think it might just be my nature,” continued Wi Ha Joon. “Rather than love myself endlessly, I’m the type to scold myself, and I tend to be more nervous rather than overflowing with confidence.”

The actor also revealed that this tendency had made it impossible for him to fully enjoy the sudden rise in popularity and fame that accompanied the success of “Squid Game.”

“When ‘Squid Game’ got that kind of response, one part of me was so happy, but another part of me was anxious,” he confessed. “People around me said, ‘You should at least enjoy this moment,’ ‘Something this amazing has happened; why are you feeling down?'”

“I’d like to be consistent, but it’s in the nature of an actor’s profession that if audiences don’t see you for even a short period of time, your recognizability fades, and you’re quickly forgotten,” he went on. “So because I didn’t want to get my feelings hurt later on, I think I might have been trying to use that mindset as a way to protect myself somehow. I also worried that if I didn’t pull myself together like that, I might become complacent and too relaxed.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1523835wpp/wi-ha-joon-opens-up-about-why-he-felt-anxious-after-the-success-of-squid-game

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Jung Jae appears on the red carpet at Baeksang Awards 2022. He was nominated for Best Actor category for Squid Game.

Jung Ho-yeon was nominated for Best New Actress.  Kim Joo-ryoung for Best Supporting Actress and Heo Sung-tae for Best supporting actor category.

Other nominations: Hwang Dong-hyuk for Best Director and Squid Game for Best Drama.

Squid Game' Kkanbu grandfather goes to meet the president on the 10th

image_readtop_2022_392779_16515778965030

While the inauguration ceremony of the president-elect Yoon Seok-yeol was held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul on the 10th, actor Oh Young-soo (77, photo), who coined the buzzword 'Kanbu' in the hit Netflix drama 'Squid Game', was invited. Chun-soo Hwan (32), a survivor of the Cheonan warship, was also invited to represent the nation.

According to the Presidential Inauguration Preparatory Committee on the 3rd, the background check of about 35,000 people invited to the inauguration ceremony has been completed and invitations have been sent out. A total of 20 people from various fields were selected as the 'People's Hope Representative'. Actor Oh Young-soo, who played the role of 'Oil Nam' in 'Squid Game', was selected as the national representative in the field of Hallyu culture.

https://www.mk.co.kr/news/politics/view/2022/05/392779/

Director Hwang Dong Hyuk won Best Director Award at Baeksang 2022

‘Squid Game’ Hwang Dong-hyuk, ‘Baeksang Arts Awards’ Directing Award… “Start writing season 2”

113268446.2.jpg

At the awards ceremony held at Kintex, Ilsan, Goyang, Gyeonggi Province on the afternoon of the 6th, director Hwang Seong-ho Yoon, tvN 'Main' Na-jeong, MBC TV 'Red Sleeves' Jung Ji-in, and Netflix original 'D.P.' ' I won the award, beating Han Jun-hee.

Director Hwang said, “I didn’t know that I would receive the award and I didn’t prepare for the award speech.” He, who swept major American awards, trembled, saying, "It's a Korean awards ceremony, so it's very comfortable to be able to speak in Korean."

Director Hwang said, "I would like to thank Netflix for their willingness to invest in difficult works and to all the actors such as Lee Jung-jae, Oh Young-soo, Jeong Ho-yeon, and Heo Seong-tae for choosing a bizarre and esoteric work." “I started writing season 2 not long ago. I will come back to you with a good project in the near future.”

This year's Baeksang Arts Awards Ceremony was for works released in Korea at the same time as the content provided on terrestrial, general, cable, OTT, and web from April 12 last year to March 31 this year. The MCs were Shin Dong-yeop, Suzy, and Park Bo-gum. It was broadcast live on JTBC, JTBC2, JTBC4 and TikTok.

https://www.donga.com/news/Entertainment/article/all/20220506/113268493/1

“Squid Game” And Jung Ho Yeon Nominated For 2022 MTV Movie & TV Awards

“Squid Game” And Jung Ho Yeon Nominated For 2022 MTV Movie & TV Awards

May 11, 2022
by E. Cha

Both “Squid Game” and its star Jung Ho Yeon have snagged nominations for this year’s MTV Movie & TV awards!

On May 11 local time, the 2022 MTV Movie & TV Awards announced its list of nominees, and the smash hit series “Squid Game” earned two nods.

“Squid Game” is up for Best Show alongside “Euphoria,” “Inventing Anna,” “Loki,” “Ted Lasso,” and “Yellowstone,” making it the only non-American show nominated in the category.

Meanwhile, Jung Ho Yeon is in the running for Breakthrough Performance, facing off against fellow nominees Alana Haim (“Licorice Pizza”), Ariana DeBose (“West Side Story”), Hannah Einbinder (“Hacks”), and Sophia Di Martino (“Loki”).

The 2022 MTV Movie & TV Awards will air live from Los Angeles on June 5. Check out the full list of this year’s nominees here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1525897wpp/squid-game-and-jung-ho-yeon-nominated-for-2022-mtv-movie-tv-awards

• 1 month later...

Watch: “Squid Game” Drops 1st Teaser For Season 2 + Director Hints At Gong Yoo’s Return

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jun 12, 2022
by E. Cha

Get ready for Season 2 of “Squid Game”!

Months after Season 1 of the smash hit series took over the world, Netflix has released its first teaser for the show’s highly-anticipated second season.

Playfully riffing off the famous “Red Light, Green Light” game from “Squid Game,” Netflix officially announced on its social media channels that it had given Season 2 the greenlight by writing, “Red light… GREENLIGHT! Squid Game is officially coming back for Season 2!”

In addition to an eerie teaser video featuring the unforgettable motion-sensing doll Younghee, Netflix also shared a special message from “Squid Game” director, writer, and executive producer Hwang Dong Hyuk.

In his message, Hwang Dong Hyuk confirmed that both Lee Jung Jae and Lee Byung Hun will be reprising their respective roles as Gi Hun and the Front Man in Season 2—and he also teased that Gong Yoo (“the man in the suit with ddakji”) may be returning as well.

Hwang Dong Hyuk’s full English message is as follows:

A WHOLE NEW ROUND IS COMING

It took 12 years to bring the first season of “Squid Game” to life last year.
But it took 12 days for “Squid Game” to become the most popular Netflix series ever.

As the writer, director, and producer of “Squid Game,” a huge shout out to fans around the world.
Thank you for watching and loving our show.

And now, Gi Hun returns.
The Front Man returns.
Season 2 is coming.
The man in the suit with ddakji might be back.
You’ll also be introduced to Younghee’s boyfriend, Cheolsu.

Join us once more for a whole new round.

Hwang Dong Hyuk
Director, Writer, and Executive Producer of “Squid Game”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1530645wpp/watch-squid-game-drops-1st-teaser-for-season-2-director-hints-at-gong-yoos-return