Xu Kaixin as Ray

Supporting Cast

• Li Huan as San San
  • Liang Guodong as Bi Guan
  • Li Shuting as Zhi Zhi
  • Yan Meng as Ken
  • Fan Jingyi as Luo Li

Plot Summary:

A passing comet with mysterious powers brings about wonderful human relationships. A dog owner and a cat owner start to exhibit animalistic traits whenever they're unhappy, yet their unusual ordeal enables them to discover the true meaning of happiness. When Comet 666 chose the earth as its target and its pinkish tail swept around the world, it meant to spread happiness and love to humanity. Miao Yu is a tacky CEO with an entrepreneurial mind. Wang Chen is an introverted designer who doesn't mix well within fashion circles. Their fates become intertwined because of a livestream and an accident at the pet hospital. From then on, once they feel unhappy, Miao Yu starts acting like Wang Chen's cat while Wang Chen starts acting like Miao Yu's dog. It's an arrangement that brings occasional surprises and occasional distresses.

Teaser:

Fun facts:

• It is the first experimental web drama with majority of the main characters portrayed by students of Shanghai Theatre Academy.
  • Filming began on March 31, 2019 in Shanghai.

Promo Round-up: Shanghai Drama Academy’s new experimental drama My Lonely Planet

You’ve seen the female lead turned into a pet, you’ve seen a male lead turned into a pet, now see not one but two leads turned into each other’s pets in My Lonely Planet 地球脸红了.

Like Beijing Film Academy’s Chinese Bestiary, this experimental drama is basically being used as homework for Shanghai Drama Academy students. In addition to the leads mostly being from the school, we know at least the script and storyboard were both workshopped by the school. At least whoever in charge of coming up with English names gives Shanghai Drama their first win over Beijing Film Academy.

The series stars Central Drama graduate Yang Zhuangze alongside Shanghai Drama students Zhang Lingyi, Li Huan, Liang Guodong, and Li Shuting. Subs for the 24 episode rom-com will be available on the iQiyi app.

for more:https://cfen.si/2020/02/26/promo-round-up-my-lonely-planet/

• 5 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 12:17 AM, pad-hari said:

Promo Round-up: Shanghai Drama Academy’s new experimental drama My Lonely Planet

You’ve seen the female lead turned into a pet, you’ve seen a male lead turned into a pet, now see not one but two leads turned into each other’s pets in My Lonely Planet 地球脸红了.

Like Beijing Film Academy’s Chinese Bestiary, this experimental drama is basically being used as homework for Shanghai Drama Academy students. In addition to the leads mostly being from the school, we know at least the script and storyboard were both workshopped by the school. At least whoever in charge of coming up with English names gives Shanghai Drama their first win over Beijing Film Academy.

The series stars Central Drama graduate Yang Zhuangze alongside Shanghai Drama students Zhang Lingyi, Li Huan, Liang Guodong, and Li Shuting. Subs for the 24 episode rom-com will be available on the iQiyi app.

for more:https://cfen.si/2020/02/26/promo-round-up-my-lonely-planet/

That's interesting! Well, I think they did a good job especially considering they are students. Certainly no worse and definitely better than other Chinese romantic comedies I have watched. Overall, a sweet, fluffy romcom with a very likeable leading couple. 

The synopsis seems ridiculous on paper but, surprisingly, it mostly works even though the drama didn't seem to clear on how to depict the "cat" personality. I was relieved  that the leads realised about the comet effects pretty early on and worked together rather than the drama dragging it out as a mystery.

Acting was good and the lead couple had great chemistry. I loved the slow burn growth of their relationship from enemies to frenemies to comrades to friends to business partners/flatmates and, finally, to lovers. Something else I appreciated was the growth of both characters. Miao Yu wasn't the typical cold, bossy CEO. He cared about his staff, company and helping Wang Chen to understand business and become more business-minded. He helped her grow the business and become more confident. Wang Chen helped Miao Yu to open up, have fun, improve his fashion sense and drop those turtlenecks:lol: (I am so glad they explained why he always wore turtlenecks at first. I was beginning to think it was just really cold onset LMAO!). Also I appreciated that they both acted like adults especially when they started dating and the drama didn't shy away from kisses or intimacy. 

The supporting cast were fun. I especially enjoyed their three employees. The male second lead's side story seemed a pointless and he had no chemistry with the female lead so there was never any danger of second lead syndrome. Drama didn't drag or outstay its welcome and everybody's storyline was wrapped up in a neat bow by the final episode. 

I can't believe I wrote so much about this frivolous little drama! :P

@raziela, oh!!! You finished this drama.  Wow!!!! I started both this and lu wei's Chinese bestiary as they both were competing dramas.by the film academy students.  But could not continue more.than 1 episode.  So dropped.both.  but we.have give them a.big hifive for doing a project with a.less.budget.  I ll try and finish this after reading ur review.  But now there are too many good dramas.airing, I am into them.  

31 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

@raziela, oh!!! You finished this drama.  Wow!!!! I started both this and lu wei's Chinese bestiary as they both were competing dramas.by the film academy students.  But could not continue more.than 1 episode.  So dropped.both.  but we.have give them a.big hifive for doing a project with a.less.budget.  I ll try and finish this after reading ur review.  But now there are too many good dramas.airing, I am into them.  

Haha! I almost dropped it during the first few episodes because it seemed too silly and the animal "transformations" were annoying but once the leads figured out what was happening and started to spend time together it improved a lot. It's nothing amazing but it is a decent entry in the C-romcom genre IMO. 

I hear you about too many good dramas! It seems like there are either too many good dramas at once or a complete drought. Never in between!  We are definitely spoiled for choice at the moment (here and K-dramas) and I don't have enough time in the day to watch everything I want to:sweatingbullets:

I didn't know there was a competing academy drama. I wonder which one was more successful? 

• Guest changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] My Lonely Planet 地球脸红了

Archived