Jung Woo-Sung 정우성 [Movies: “Hunt” + upcoming “A Man of Reason”, “12.12: The Day”]

Helena

Guest urie

Jung Woo-sung and Han Hyo-joo headline action thriller
by girlfriday

It’s like action thriller heaven up in Chungmuro lately. Here’s another one to add to the ever-growing to-watch list: Jung Woo-sung (Padam Padam), Sol Kyung-gu (The Tower), and Han Hyo-joo (Bandage) are headlining a chase thriller about surveillance, called The Watchers. They’ve actually been shooting it for a while, and the film has just announced its release date for the summer.

The new film from the director of The World of Silence stars Jung Woo-sung in his first villain role, as the head of a mob organization. I still can’t believe it’s his first baddie role — that can’t be right, can it? I guess when you’re pretty you tend to play the good guy; I mean, even in The Good, The Bad, The Weird, he played Good. Sol Kyung-gu is the leader of a special investigation team that’s after Jung Woo-sung, and monitors him around the clock with a surveillance team. Weird how the good guys sound creepy once you call them The Watchers.

Han Hyo-joo plays the rookie on the team, who has an unusually keen sense of observation, fastidious attention, and a standout memory. So basically she’s perfect for the job. Her boss is more the gut-and-instincts type, a veteran who’s a bit reckless, but bursting with personality. And then the ace on their team is 2PM idol Junho, in his acting debut. His character is named Squirrel, because he’s surreptitious and sly like no other.

The team is assigned to watch Jung Woo-sung for a chance to catch him, but he’s notoriously cool-headed and has evaded countless attempts to follow, watch, or capture him in the past. Their job is to watch him without being seen, which doesn’t sound easy even though they’re the ones with all the invasively high-tech spy equipment. The movie is basically the cat-and-mouse game between slippery mobster and his surveillance team, as the watching leads way to chasing.

The Watchers hits theaters July 4.

Via Joy News

cr:dramabeans

Guest urie

Seol Kyeong-gu, Jeong Woo-seong and Han Hyo-joo in "Cold Eyes"

Seol Kyeong-gu, Jeong Woo-seong and Han Hyo-joo have been cast in the movie "Cold Eyes", directed by Jo Eui-seok and Kim Byeong-seo.

"Cold Eyes" is a criminal action drama about experts who track down criminal organizations with no signs of existing.

They remember everything they see and track down crime with their memories.

Seol Kyeong-gu takes on the role of chief Hwang. His age and animal instincts lets him chase after his targets and he's a rough and daredevil-ish man but deep inside, he's actually friendly and humane.

Jeong Woo-seong takes on the role of a criminal organization leader names James. This is his first bad guy role since his debut. He has cold judgment and acting power along with intelligent schemes that allow him to escape the circle closing in on him all the time.

Han Hyo-joo is a rookie named Ha Yoon-joo on Seol Kyeong-gu's team. She's out on the fields for the first time but her observation and memory doesn't let her forget what she's seen or heard.

2PM's Junho who is debuting as an actor through "Cold Eyes", takes on the role of the ace, Squirrel. He is the lively one out of the team but on site he's a talented and skilled expert.

Source : www.tvreport.co.kr/?c... ( English )

cr: hancinema

official confirmation Cold Eyes will be released at 4th July

cr: nate

Guest urie

Two Agents Are On The Hunt In The New Trailer For COLD EYES

by Lee

Jo Eui-seok and Kim Byeong-seo are the helmers of the upcoming release of the South Korean action crime drama, Cold Eyes. The film stars Seol Kyeong-gu, Jeong Woo-seong, Han Hyo-joo and Junho and is set to premiere on July 4, 2013 from Next Entertainment World.

SYNOPSIS:
Ha Yoon-Ju (Han Hyo-Joo) who possesses crystal-clear memory, keen observation, and utmost concentration skills, becomes the newest member to a unit within the Korean Police Forces Special Crime Department that specializes in surveillance activities on high profile criminals. She is assigned under Hwang Sang-Jun (Seol Kyung-Gu), the veteran leader of the unit who is rough, reckless, but wearmhearted and known for his animal-like senses and intuition. The two gradually develop a close partnership when they attempt to track down James (Jung Woo-Sung) who is the cold-hearted leader of an armed criminal organization. Using his unmatched intelligence and strategy, James manages to escape their radar every time. Now, Hwang Sang-Jun and Ha Yoon-Ju must do everything they can in order to find him and bring him down...

cr: filmcombatsyndicate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/06/29/2013062900299.html

Jung Woo-sung Turns His Back on Nice-Guy Image in New Film

Jung Woo-sung, considered the top teen idol of the 1990s, remains popular among young fans at the age of 40 and is set to appear for the first time in his career as a villain, in what is being hyped as Korea's biggest summer blockbuster.

In "Cold Eyes," Jung plays a supporting role as a cold-hearted but meticulous gang leader. The movie, which is scheduled to be released next Thursday, involves a game of cat-and-mouse with a gang of detectives who form a surveillance team to catch high-profile criminals.

To add to his character's mystique, the gangster's name is never revealed, except for a billing as "James" in the final credits, and he is taciturn throughout, meaning Jung had few lines to memorize.

"I was worried at first [about portraying a character with so few lines]. But when I read the script, I was able to instinctively imagine the character's way of speaking and the look on the face. I tried to portray the character as I saw him,” said Jung during an interview with the Chosun Ilbo on Wednesday.

"Also, I didn't want to try to make his part in the movie bigger than it was supposed to be, just because it's me playing him. That would have diluted what I saw as the unique quality of the character, when reading the script."

Jung said he acted in an understated way. "I think this better exposed the character as being solitary and mysterious," he added.

5ewlqf.jpg

It's been 20 years since Jung made his debut in the movies in 1994. "I should have made more action and romantic dramas. Focusing on those genres would probably have been enough for me to establish my name. But I guess I wanted to try different things as I saw what other actors were doing, especially their performances portraying realistic, down-to-earth characters. Now I think it wasn't worth it. What people want to see from me is my own unique style of acting," he said.

So does he feel that he has missed out on anything during his successful career?

"When I reflect on the past 20 years, one of my great regrets is that I didn't appear in more films. I only chose those that suited my personal tastes. Moreover, because I was quite a big star, my former agency refused many scenarios on my behalf without even letting me look at them," he said.

Asked what the future holds in store, he joked that he still has time as "people now live longer, so they can work in their respective fields till they grow very old."

"As my peers have played a key role in boosting Korean popular culture, I think there's still plenty of work for us to do," he said.

englishnews@chosun.com / Jun. 29, 2013 08:33 KST

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: KOFIC

JUNG Woo-sung

Actor

2lb2nmq.jpg

Biography

JUNG Woo-sung has elements of rebellious youth even in his late 30s. He has a look that suits melodramas but has played mostly as a macho man from the early days in his career. <Beat> directed by [KIM Sung-soo] made him a rising young star and he magnified his gloomy image with his role as a lonely boxer in <City of the Rising Sun>. He received good reviews for his charismatic act in <The Submarine Phantom>, Korea’s first movie based on a submarine, and gained international fame for his role as a warrior in <MUSA-The Warrior>. Later he became an actor who has an earthly touch, rather than a starry actor. Starring in <Mutt Boy> directed by [KWAK Kyung-taek], who chisels away at the actor and uncovers the person within, Jung descended from a movie star to become a real actor who has a firm footing in reality. He concentrated on melodrama movies thereafter. He revealed great depth of sensibility in melodramas such as <A Moment to Remember>, <A Sad Movie>, <Daisy>, <The Restless>, <A Good Rain Knows>. He returned to a testosterone-charged character with <The Good, The Bad, The Weird> and took a familiar role as a debonair but strong man in <Reign of Assassins> directed by [John Woo].

Filmography

Cold Eyes 2013 Actor
    Athena : The Movie 2010 Actor
    Reign of Assasins 2010 Actor
    A Good Rain Knows 2009 Actor
    The Good, the Bad, and the Weird(Cannes Version) 2008 Actor
    The Good, The Bad, And The Weird 2008 Actor
    The Restless 2006 Actor
    Daisy 2006 Actor
    Sad Movie 2005 Actor
    Time of Ghost 2004 Actor
    A Moment To Remember 2004 Actor
    Mutt Boy 2003 Actor
    Musa-The Warrior 2001 Actor
    Phantom The Submarine 1999 Actor
    Love 1999 Actor
    City Of The Rising Sun 1998 Actor
    Beat 1997 Actor
    Motel Cactus 1997 Actor
    Shanghai Grand 1996 Actor
    Born To Kill 1996 Actor
    The Fox With Nine Tails 1994 Actor

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: http://en.starnnews.com/news/index.html?no=209745

Jung Woo Sung reveals his actual weight

2013-07-02 15:07

2prycgj.jpg

Jung Woo Sung drew attention by revealing his actual weight.

On June 30th, Jung Woo Sung appeared on SBS 'Running Man' as one of the special guests with Han Hyo Joo and Lee Jun Ho.

During the show, the members and the guests had a blobbing competition. Blobbing is an outdoor water activity in which a participant sits on the end of a partially inflated air bag (known as a water trampoline or blob) and is then launched into the water after another participant jumps onto the air bag from a platform on the opposite side.

Jung Woo Sung teamed up with HaHa and Gary, and they succeeded in making Yoo Jae Seok to jump over 7m. Then, Kim Jong Kuk said, "It is because all of the three guys are heavy. What is Jung Woo Sung's weight?"

Then, Jung Woo Sung said, "The most important factor in blobbing is jumping all together at once. I am 186cm tall and my weight is 80kg," and Kim Jong Kuk said, "That is a lie. I weight 78kg."

Then, Yoo Jae Seok made people laugh by saying to Kim Jong Kuk, "Why did you get so fat?"

Netizens left comments, such as "Jung Woo Sung has a perfect body", "That is amazing", and "I can't believe that Jung Woo Sung weighs more than Kim Jong Kuk."

/Reporting by Kim Dong-Joo en@starnnews.com

Guest yogafan

class="articletitle" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; list-style: none; font-size: 33px; border: 0px none; line-height: 34px;"Kpop Idols' Crushes on Other Idols Part II

THEY GET GOOGLY-EYED OVER IDOLS TOO, LIKE US.

Continuing from part I, here's a new list of Kpop idols who have crushes on other idols. Personally, if I was an idol my type would be someone charismatic, hilarious, and unafraid of being goofy. He may not be an idol, but I have a huge crush on MC Yoo Jae Suk. Okay enough about me, moving on!

83292.jpg

Everyone and their dads have a crush on Miss A's Suzy Bae. So it's no surprise when super duper hot actor Jung Woo Sung revealed in an interview that he has taken a liking to the Miss A singer. On MBC's Section TV the actor said, "I can't remember any of the actresses from the past. These days my eyes keep turning to Suzy." Suzy, you better get on that fast before I disguise myself as you and do so myself!

full article at http://bit.ly/13unPUA

Guest popcherrypop

Man, he was hot in Padam Padam, granted there were moments of major over-acting (not sure if it's entirely his fault though). I generally like his middle-aged boy next door look, but him being a badass brutish teddy bear ex-convict just kicked me right in the heart :D

Buuuuuut (this is purely my observation so don't kill me for saying this) he does seem a little bland in person, kinda soft-spoken and PR-trained-ish? Does anyone have links to his recent interviews/appearances in talk shows with eng subs, discounting his Running Man appearance?

I gotta commend him and his agency for pretty good movie choices though. 

Guest ziimblu

I hope I'd get to see JWS act in a movie or drama with Joo Jin Mo, JGD, HBin, Jo In Sung, So Ji Sub....love love these super talented actors!

class="entry-title" style="margin: 0px 0px 20px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 2.4em; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); line-height: 1.375; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"[iNTERVIEW] Actor Jung Woo-sung: Confessions of a Top StarBy Lee Hye Ji | TENASIA
[PHOTO] Jung Woo-sung Shows Off His Charms

Korean actor Jung Woo-sung poses during a photo shoot with TenAsia in Seoul, Korea on June 28, 2013. [TenAsia/ Gue Hye Jung]

James Dean, the late iconic U.S. star in blue jeans, became a world-famous rebel through film “Rebel without A Cause.” In Korea, we have a star named Jung Woo-sung, who produced uncountable number of followers with his high school rebel role in 1997 film “Beat.” His character Min was the symbol of dead-end youth in the late 1990s and Jung prospered with his melancholy image for a while.

However, the tough guy pursued a way different track after millennium, starring in drama film with a touch of comedy “Mutt Boy,” tear-jerking melodrama pic “A Moment To Remember,” Western action flick “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” and Korea-China romance “A Good Rain Knows.” Starting in 2010, he also reached his arms to the small screen in action blockbuster “Athena” and acclaimed romance “Padam Padam.”

Now he is back to where he started with new crime action pic “Cold Eyes.” The actor, who turned 40 this April but still has an incredible smile and figure, shared with TenAsia about the reason of taking his first villain role named James in the stylish film and how he has lived and thrived as a top movie star in Korea for almost 20 years.

Q. How do you feel about the good response to “Cold Eyes”?

Jung Woo-sung: Fortunately, I’m hearing a lot of good things. I feel more welcomed this time in particular as well. And I’m doing a movie for the first time in a while. Some people around me were concerned since James is a supporting character and it’s my first villain role, but both the film and character are satisfying enough for me to free myself of all those worries, which is why I’ve received this warm welcome. It feels like they are telling me, “Welcome back.”

Q. Didn’t you feel have any worries?

Jung: It’s the character, not my circumstances that revolve around it, that I care about. If I’m convinced that there is something I can do with my character, I work on it with confidence.

Q. In previous interviews, you’ve said, “Our world needs more humanity” and “I don’t like gangster roles because they speak for the evil that exists in this world.” That’s why I thought you hadn’t played a villain before but it now seems that you took it on faster than I expected. Did you have a change in your values?

Jung: There were various reasons. “Cold Eyes” tells about the growth of a rookie named Ha Yoon-ju (Han Hyo-joo) and James is an important sub character that helps her growth. And he is not based on the reality but the movie rather contained lots of unrealistic settings so I didn’t feel pressure about young audiences mistaking him for someone in reality. I also insisted on not adding any background story or splendid ending scene for James just because I was playing him. He was merely a criminal so I wanted him to be seen as merely a criminal. When it comes to the movie itself, the tension of the film was going to depend much on which actor takes on James. It’s a good and fresh story but James was the key to whether the movie would become more interesting or not.

Q. How would you like the audience to regard James?

Jung: They will still find him visually stylish because it is Jung Woo-sung and there are new action sequences. But it’s not right for James to be a character that rationalizes or understands the essence of evil. I think they’re [audience] are saying things like, “I found him cool but also feel pity for him. I don’t hate him but I’m scared of his evilness.” I think James is the character with such kind of both sides at the same time.

PHOTO] Jung Woo-sung Enchants the Camera

Korean actor Jung Woo-sung poses during a photo shoot with TenAsia in Seoul, Korea on June 28, 2013. [TenAsia/ Gue Hye Jung]

Q. They say an actor counts on a director’s name when it comes to deciding on a film project. So weren’t you hesitant in working with directors Cho Ui-seok and Kim Byeong-seo in “Cold Eyes”?

Jung: That’s not my case. As you can tell from my filmography, I haven’t always relied on how well a director or producer is known when I take up a project. I’ve just never been the type that is scared of challenges. There are many other factors such as I could be attached to a character and feel certain about creating it, that I may be sure of the fellow actors I’m working with, or that the newbie director may turn out to be good. A good example is “A Moment To Remember” by director Lee Ji-han, who made a debut with the Hollywood-styled melodrama film. I think people must have wondered “Why?” with my next film project “God’s Accuracy” (translated title) and its director Cho Byeong-kyu since he is a newcomer as well.

Q. Come to think of it, you seem to have made a lot of decisions that have made people wonder “Why?” Although I don’t think you’d even care whatever they say now.

Jung: I don’t. If I do care about what other people say, I would have not pursued the path I did. It’s not like I’m a pioneer of some sort. I think this is just my personality. And I hate to go with what people assume of me.

Q. There were indeed several films where it felt like you’re purposely trying to change your image, such as through “Mutt Boy,” “A Good Rain Knows,” “Padam Padam” and even “Cold Eyes.” Is it because you want to go with an image that the public has had of you?

Jung: I guess so. I want to show my ability to portray different roles and exude various emotions. I think it’s because of such desires and wanting to protest to the public [of my ability to play such characters]. I don’t aim to change my image on purpose though. “Mutt Boy” was a film that was originally created with a different concept, but I wanted it to focus more on the father-son relationship. So I suggested my idea to director Kwak Kyeong-taek and he accepted my idea, so that was how “Mutt Boy” and my character Chulmin were born. “Padam Padam” was a drama I took on after being stressed out “Athena” because there was some fuss regarding its writers and script, so I wanted to show my acting calmly with the well-weaved script by acclaimed writer Noh Hee-kyung [of “Worlds Within” and “That Winter, the Wind Blows”]. Then I decided to turn my head to the big screen after long thought, and that is how I came to return with “Cold Eyes.” Now that I have been in the scene for almost 20 years, and I was worried about what kind of actor I need to position myself as for the next 20 years. My conclusion was to do what suits me; not stick only to what I want to do but also think about what others think about me and my ideal image. 

[PHOTO] Jung Woo-sung Shows Off His Charms

Q. What is your self-image as an actor?

Jung: At the end of it all, a character with style and edge like James. I’d like to take on a character that can stimulate people’s fantasy with my looks; for example, I want to do ‘rich’ melodramas when I do melodramas. That’s what I want to pursue from now on. Before, I wished to be seen as a person with a will and from humble beginnings. I wanted to show them, ‘You don’t have to see me in just that way [a teenage rebel Min in “Beat”], I’m a human being just like you.’ But that all doesn’t matter anymore. It’s all about playing the characters I want as much as I wish to.

Q. So now you’ve admitted to or compromised with the public’s wish?

Jung: Looking back on my past, I realize that I didn’t look after myself but rather unraveled myself and just let go. The way in which I didn’t care about the director and stuff too was my way of neglecting myself. But I’ve had enough of that so now I’m aiming at rebuilding myself, step by step.

Q. People still talk about “Beat” and its phenomenal success. You were 22 when you filmed it, so what would you do if you were to go back to that time?

Jung: I would willingly do scores of films, and eagerly work on teenage melodramas. And I’d study acting hard. I’m not saying I have made bad choices but I may have done a better job if I worked harder and tried to find out more. At my age and in that period, it doesn’t make sense that I did one film a year or one film in two years. One should do two films a year at least. At that time, you don’t have to worry about wearing out your image, because you can create new ones again and again at that age.

Q. What sort of advice would you give to people at that age, such as Junho that you worked with for “Cold Eyes”?

Jung: It’s needless to say anything when you can make them feel it. And Junho has such a good attitude on set. He is serious and patient, and doesn’t think it’s a waste of time to have to wait for things.

[PHOTO] Jung Woo-sung's Big Smile

Q. You are still working on your directorial debut project, which you first mentioned in your twenties. Aren’t you a notorious liar? (laughs)

Jung: No, that’s just because I spoke of my hopes thoughtlessly when I was young. I used to say, “I’ll do it when I turn 30″ and then “I’ll probably start next year,” which turned me into a chronic liar (laughs). But anyway, I didn’t work hard on preparing on it when I was young but when I decided to begin it in earnest and established my studio Torus Film, I had to pull out of it after getting involved in a global project. I’ll need to fulfill my responsibilities as an actor first, and then I’ll give it a shot when I have more room for directing.

Q. You seem to be late both as an actor and director, would you agree with that?

Jung: I’d say I reached my peak too early so I feel lucky that I can even return. People usually start somewhere midway and then I’m sure it’s harder to start over when you’re in your fifties. In a way, this too is a timing I should thank God for.

Reporter. Lee Hye Ji hjlee@tenasia.co.kr
Photographer. Gue Hye Jung photonine@tenasia.co.kr
Editor. Jessica Kim