[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

Finally had the time to watch ep 12 again from start to finish and as I expected, I liked the episode much more after watching it at my own pace without the crazy excitement of watching it live.

Some things that I appreciated/noticed/thought of in this ep:

1. The little looks SH sneaks at JH during the date to check her reaction to things. Such as when they were watching melomance and when she was looking at the earrings he bought for the first time. It is shown pretty clearly that he likes her, and is as excited abt the date and being with her as she is. It's just that you need to pay much closer attention to his actions to notice it because JH is so much more obvious with her feelings

2. I think WS's convo with SH at the rooftop of the office was very important. Not only for WS, but it also let's us know more about how SH views JH and their relationship. I was slightly alarmed with how SH said feelings developed because he was comfortable due to the marriage. I hope he's not falling in love because it's the convenient thing to do or.. Because of companionship? Like how people tend to fall in love or develop affection for each other in an arranged marriage just because they're already married.. I want SH to choose to love JH because he can't do without her, and basically all the other things WS said abt HR. How he likes to see her smile and wants to make her happy etc. I kinda want to see that side of SH. I don't think WS is wrong in his way of loving HR or in the way he's acting in his rls.. I feel that he and SH merely differs in their opinions about love, and neither is right or wrong. I also think both hv sth to learn from each other abt love. Well, not that there's anything wrong with love developing out of a fondness of the person's companionship.. But I guess I'm probably more used to the romantic notion of can't-live-without you kind of love in k dramas.but I acknowledge that this drama might be showing that the quiet kind of unassuming love can be equally as touching, which I think some of you have commented here before.

3. I enjoyed how WS kinda looked like a little kid playing dress up with his dad's office wear during his date with HR and especially while he was talking to SH on the roof. I think it symbolises how he's trying to play a role that is unsuitable for him and all that. Especially with the tie that HR's mother gave him, which really doesn't suit him at all. On this note, I'm also really happy that WS and HR both realised that their relationship has run its course. It was time.

4. JH & SH's handssss Omg I have such a thing for them too @kelmaoneko thank you so much for the gifs haha. Idk if it was an ad-lib or scripted that way but I love how JH grabbed just 2 of his fingers lol. And she's so hopeless!! I can't believe how she just agreed to everything as long as he held her hand LOL I liked their date scenes. It made me smile and I like how SH was very in character throughout the entire date actually. He's just a tiny bit sweeter to JH now that they're in a relationship and Does more skinship.

Yeah so.. I guess I like ep 12 more now after having had the time to think abt it. It's a quieter episode that I needed more time with to figure out what's happening and sort of put myself in SH's shoes to understand how he's seeing things.

--

22 hours ago, 8mel said:

There's no doubt about his feeling for JH now. However what i find a bit off is that their relationship curve up until now has always been decided by what SH felt. He was the one who drew the line when he didn't feel comfortable, he was the one who decided for them to call each other husband and wife and now he sort of the one decided JH can love him because he has confirmed his feeling. I would like that for once JH will be the one who make the call.

I love your post but especially with what you said here.. I think part of the reason why JH tends to leave it to SH to decide on the progression of the rls is because she's unsure of herself, and is also aware of her own lack of experience, and also maybe because deep down she doesn't believe that SH likes her yet. And also remember what HR said the earlier episodes abt how she can't be the one to propose marriage cos she's a girl? I think it's partly this reluctance be aggressive because the general consensus or societal norm is that guys should be the ones taking the lead in the rls. However, I also hope that JH gets to decide on their progress at some point in the rls.

17 hours ago, cheremaman said:

I love it when I am caught off guard by my expectations of Ji Ho's and Se Hee's qualities.  This girl can drink and protect her man at the same time and not to undermine his masculinity, this girl can pitch those darts and make her man proud. She is a defender as Se Hee once expressed. And the same with Se Hee.  When he came running in like gang busters and kicked that mirror off the bike and then executed his coup de grace kick to topple that terribly terribly expensive motorcycle, I simply beamed.  I love men as protectors! And if that wasn't enough, this cerebral man  not only dressed like an ajumma but also humbly allowed himself to be ordered around  by these village women, laughing at him and making him run to and fro with cabbage and garlic abounding.  How endearing and romantic which scored many points with his proud mother-in-law. Her gain from Ji-Ho's marriage has made up for some of the deficits in her life. And where, just where did he muster the courage or simply dormant suave mannerisms to maneuver the kiss and the line "Do you now know how or do you want more"?  Expect the unexpected for it might forever own your heart.

I hearted your post but if I could heart it a thousand times I would have!! Love it. I also love how JH and SH both protect each other.

@kimnabong also love love love the uber long post that you did after watching the subbed ep 12. I totally agree with what you said abt how we've been conditioned to expect the love between 2 k drama leads to be the one true love in their lives and how this drama makes us think we're rooting for JH the replacement girl. I think that's exactly what made me feel so iffy abt this episode in the first place. I couldn't accept that JH is always gonna be second/compared to the great past love that SH had. It took me some time to appreciate what this drama is trying to do and I fully agree with your analysis on everything. Wish I could be as eloquent as you are in expressing my viewpoints!

Aaand I'm writing this comment at page 181 cos I've  only managed to back read until this page so far so I think I still have loads of other posts to read and digest. Sorry if what I said are repetitions of what other people has said  ^^;; anyhoo I'm really grateful to all the posters here for all your wonderful insights and eloquent comments. I can only aspire to be as wise/perceptive/analytical/eloquent as you guys are ^^

• Like 12

I think we have to remember that the date was almost planned by WS.

Maybe it was more like a reflection of his ideas, how you should or maybe how he used to date HR. Maybe remennisceing the old days when he and HR were younger, more passionate and maybe more in love? Their last date looked like the first in a while.

When at the restaurant WS asked HR if she wanted to do something similar, like playing darts and winning toys, she answered that the plushie takes useful space, and it was so brutal for me and SO REAL.

She found that activity a bit stupid, when WS had proposed that. 

I personally like more SG-SJ couple (probably because I like SG so much) but I think the WS-HR couple is the most REAL in the show. So maybe that's why I don't like them so much (ahah too real), their struggle is too authentic to me. 
I don't know but I am almost 30s and I am starting to hear of couples that have lasted untile now, for almost 10 years, breaking up. I think that these years (27-33) are very delicate years for a relationship that had lasted along the most youthful and carefree years of a person, and that now have to face new problems and new explanations of the life

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, xxPeepsxx said:

A thought suddenly popped up in my head: 

I'm looking forward to the day SeHee realises that his wife is pregnant. And the ensuing freak out because that'll mess with his mortgage pay-back plans.

Yes, and he will be left with no choice but to reconcile with his father then he will eventually let him repay the remaining loan. All salary of JH and SH can now be used on whatever they'd want to spend it on! What a good strategy, they just need to have a baby then everything will be resolved. The end. What a happy ending! Hahaha just kidding. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

22 minutes ago, xxPeepsxx said:

A thought suddenly popped up in my head: 

I'm looking forward to the day SeHee realises that his wife is pregnant. And the ensuing freak out because that'll mess with his mortgage pay-back plans. Majorly.

Lol I don't think he will even care about house mortgage anymore at that point. 

@Snowz123 You know I felt the exact same way. Maybe bc by this point we kinda know that the writer has a path os symbolism/anti-tropes so we're trying to decipher everything.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, naritul said:

I think ex will not do something harmful to our OTP

we've learned from BN's incident and JH pretty cool when she found out about ex...

and i am sure that i will survive until next week (waiting this week episodes made me crazy hahahaha, last week preview really really torturing me)

I love how this drama is written, every lines and gestures are beautiful... i even fall in love with their voice over 

This is one of my top lists drama hehehe...

SH's hug was full of emotion and he finally showed us his true self :wub:, and i love their conversation before the kiss even more.... (I love how SH holds her hand, bwahahaha am i overreacting?)

"i have a fragile heart " so I cant wait that long because i am in love with them, hope monday will come faster..

SH is sweet and JH is cute, they complement each other :wub: 

I believe Soo Ji will start the bra company...  I like this couple SJ-SG....

I am bored with HR-WS relationship... Why can't he marry her after 7 years relationship? that's cruel! dan HR always complicate things, they are poor yet she wants a party? glad they broke up...

I agree with you hihihihihi

Add :

Ex presence is very important to reveal his past...  I am okay with a lil bit of jealousy

I'm bored with HR and WS too but i felt their characters and the painful scenes eg: when they slept side by side but each of them are thinking differently is important to show a juxtaposition with our main couple. Key difference between these 2, COMMUNICATION. One couple without love, at least at first, but honest, another one in love but isn't completely honest with each other. Regarding your frustration on why WS just won't marry her, I was discussing it with a male friend whom I introduced to watch BTIOFL, haha told me that guys may get complacent since he already have all he wanted, the girl he loves, sex, companionship, etc. Why bother with marriage when you can get it without marrying? That's why always be careful if you were to move in with a guy. Not to imply that all guys are like that, indeed there are responsible guys like SG who would consider marriage despite him getting the sex as well lols.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, meiil said:

Lol I don't think he will even care about house mortgage anymore at that point. 

@Snowz123 You know I felt the exact same way. Maybe bc by this point we kinda know that the writer has a path os symbolism/anti-tropes so we're trying to decipher everything.

The first reaction from him will probably him being in his robot mode, background music robot deciphering the meaning of having another new life entering his life, meaning he won't be dying alone but with his wife and kids!!! Cut into second frame, him meticulously calculating and analysing what to do, eat and care for pregnant women, as well as how much diapers would cost and how long it will lengthen his mortgage with this new addition of life!!! 

Edited by Snowz123
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5

8 hours ago, gladys57 said:

Anyone here knows anything about the EARRINGS which our JH got from SH? I love them a lot and I reckon it'll be a top seller right now in Seoul. Would love to get a pair when I'm in Seoul next month.

SH certainly has GOOD TASTE not only in women like his 1st love and JH! :blush:

Yes, they are beautiful . The earrings are from the Swarovski collection.

You're going to Korea again ? The last time was after Introverted Boss. You must love Korea. Have fun!

DOmP9ftX0AAUGFq.jpg

fizz-earrings.jpg

A sampling from the star collection

Clearly JH loves stars because she's in love.

On a dark sky she saw stars when there were no stars. SH is inspired to give her a pair of star shaped earrings

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

From the breakup scene with ex, as I could understand, that all happened in one day? Subscription on the book "to my everything from your everything". supposed marriage (filled form was under the book on the table) and break up? Am I right?

And then SH said: "Let me explain... My father called me..."

What if they planned to register their wedding and SH failed to appear due his father call? Maybe his father said that his mother sick or else gravely important to prevent SH from marriage? 

It's a pretty big deal for a woman if man disappear on her wedding day...

But of course it would be something else - I think I never guess right with this drama :D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

I think I need to clarify myself, even though it should be completely normal for everyone to either be head over heels for the drama and the way it handles the romance or, like me, not to be happy with all the aspects of it. But here we go.

I think to me it doesn't resonate as normal or age-appropriate, Ji-ho's and Se-hee's behaviour. Yes a nice date is great and I understand where Ji-ho is coming from when she giggles and is even thinking about having some sexytime with Se-hee. I just don't find it realistic she thinks of herself as a pervert just for wanting to be physically close to Se-hee. Also is the writer meaning to put her into innocent-land with EVERYTHING? Like didn't she have some physical needs before Se-hee? Yes, the drama is called "Because this is my first life" but it's a bit of a stretch, even for this drama, to make Ji-ho the purest girl on earth. 

Also she isn't a highschool student. She has friends who dated frequently or have been in a long-term relationship, having and talking about sex like normal people do. So even though it's second-hand it's not like she is completely without any type of knowledge. 

I don't expect her to be cool about it. Who would be when she just had her first kiss with the man she loves? I want her to be giddy and I want her to be happy Se-hee is taking her on a date, trying to win a snail stuffed animal for her. But I also want her stop acting like she is in highschool and I want her acknowledge she desires Se-hee but while still being excited about this new sensation she is not making a deal out of. I don't expect her to jump Se-hee. I just want her to address is properly to herself.

Btw I'm apparently the only one who noticed Se-hee and Ji-ho actually addressed the kiss in episode 12. When they come back home and Se-hee tells her to wash up first, he says "I really liked the beach" and she responds "I liked the beach as well". This was the only moment in which old Se-hee and Ji-ho talking were back. They actually said in their own way that they liked the kiss. :wub:

are you borna nd brought up in the west?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Jillia You don't have to feel like you need to clarify yourself.

I can see why you feel that OTP didn't accurately portray their age during their date and that's fine. That's also the reason why sometimes i felt uneasy to watch certain kdrama cause they don't act their age. Haha. But i don't feel that way with JH or SH behavior during their date. I don't want get into detail since some already posted basically same thing. I just feel like regardless of where they go, what they do and how they behave on the first date, both SH and JH are just starting to enjoy each other company openly. And that's a progress i like. :lol:

I have friends who are in their 30's and trust me they can be as childish and fool around as much when we hang out. But they are mature when it comes to other matter.

Somehow talking about this reminded me of NEOCORTEX theory ha ha

I just think that it's not necessarily because some people is head over heel for this drama that they don't have problem with it, just that some people view it differently and it could be as objective as other opinion as well. Different people can look at things differently. Personal preference and expectation play parts too. No one is right or wrong. It makes this forum interesting to me because we can share our opinion about this drama, good or bad. Enjoy reading them all.

• Like 20

I am amazed that many people can elaborate this drama very detail, and I really enjoy reading this thread :)

I hope for the next 4 eps, we can hear SH say "I love you" or at least "I like you" to JH.

Eventho action might be the best to show affection, but those expressions are needed in relationship.

And I am still hoping to see the moment (flashback) when JH threw away "Woori" necklace for the cat, without JH noticed SH took it from the trash bin and kept it. It is cliche indeed, but I was really sad at the scene. T_T

Cant wait for Monday! :wub:

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, 8mel said:

@Jillia You don't have to feel like you need to clarify yourself.

I can see why you feel that OTP didn't accurately portray their age during their date and that's fine. That's also the reason why sometimes i felt uneasy to watch certain kdrama cause they don't act their age. Haha. But i don't feel that way with JH or SH behavior during their date. I don't want get into detail since some already posted basically same thing. I just feel like regardless of where they go, what they do and how they behave on the first date, both SH and JH are just starting to enjoy each other company openly. And that's a progress i like. :lol:

I have friends who are in their 30's and trust me they can be as childish and fool around as much when we hang out. But they are mature when it comes to other matter.

Somehow talking about this reminded me of NEOCORTEX theory ha ha

I just think that it's not necessarily because some people is head over heel for this drama that they don't have problem with it, just that some people view it differently and it could be as objective as other opinion as well. Different people can look at things differently. Personal preference and expectation play parts too. No one is right or wrong. It makes this forum interesting to me because we can share our opinion about this drama, good or bad. Enjoy reading them all.

lol.. practicing not what you are saying..

jumping to your own conclusions.. and asking others to be patient???

Many a times its not about personal preferences but the society you are brought up in and the values that you have seen.. thereby making it difficult for you to interpret or buy actions/beliefs of others who have significantly different value systems. And then it is important for people to not delve into fault finding but accepting that they don't know about the whole world!..

e.g. just becuase some are accepting ofr sex before marriage.. does not automatically make it correct for all cultures in the world.. and neither can you or should you go about ridiculing others value system (sex before marriage or no sex before marriage..both ways)..

that is why, when in rome... dress like romans

• Like 3

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

yup..the moment i saw stars..i was reminded of no stars in the sky scene.. when he couldn't see one.. she was seeing many :tongue:

so i guess he associates her seeing stars with her being happy..

because she was so chirpy both times..and happy.. like definitely not angry or sad :)

Aww this would be really cute if it were true. Hope the writer writes this in! Haha

1 hour ago, rembrandtz_5e20 said:

That was some good PPL man.

Omg now that you mention it.. Episode 12 was like THE PPL episode. SJ's tablet/laptop, hairdryer, JH with swarovski.. There was so many. I giggle a little bit now whenever I spot a PPL in this drama due to the earlier Eps where JH had to write ppl scenes for her job haha it has become sort of a game for me to spot PPL in this drama. And also kind of an occupational habit from working in advertising I guess hah

2 hours ago, penelop3 said:

SH, on the contrary, think with his head, even on the matter of the heart. The beach scene woke him up, giving him the idea that "yes, I have been unhappy for too long, I should live happily with this pretty person who seems to love me". 

That word "pretty" keeps being repeated again and again. Is that how he sees JH, that she's pretty? I want him to acknowledge JH's other best traits than just being pretty. 

Ah I think this is one of those Korean things that are just so difficult to translate and tends to get lost in translation. So.. In Korean, the word for "pretty" and "adorable" is the same. Yeppeo or yeppeuda. This can mean pretty appearance-wise (as in pleasant looking) or it could also mean that the person is adorable as in.. she is cherished and adored.. Or is someone precious.  So.. It really depends on context. For example, when SH says JH is yeppeo to SG, he literally means she's pretty in appearance because he's trying to explain that all men are visual animals. And at with the ahjussis when drinking makgeolli and in his voiceover when looking at JH watch TV.. I think he means it both ways. That she's both physically attractive to him and that he also adores her.

6 hours ago, Ondine said:

For me the content of the date was fine; I don't believe there's an upper age limit for enjoying booth games and plushie rewards and ice cream and music at the park. :D For me it's more how they are with each other, like how they never even tried to talk about the kiss or what their relationship is now, how they're still so painfully awkward around each other, how Ji Ho seems to have lost her ability to express herself to him. They seem to have written Ji Ho's character to be completely inept when dealing with romantic or sexual feelings, and I don't like that they did.

Yes at first I had the same view too. I don't like how they didn't sit down to have a big talk on the change in their relationship status after the kiss. But after watching ep 12 again and thinking about it... I think the way the story progressed stayed very true to the characters personalities and was actually very organic. They both confirmed their feelings for each other when SH said that he enjoyed being at the sea and JH  said she did too. I guess they didn't need to confirm anything else after that. And I think the date from SH was further confirmation that he wanted to be a couple with JH, and I guess JH understood enough to not ask him about it, or she could be in a cloudy haze of love and is just not thinking about the future at all.. Hmm yes I guess this is it. What I want next from both of them is a serious talk and discussion about their future and where this is gonna lead. I guess I need some gravity in their relationship. This feeling of being so up in the clouds in love feels a little out of place given their contract and places in life. Yes.. I think what's missing is a dose of reality in these recent episodes.. Because we've had spades full of reality in the earlier episodes.. And maybe that's why the pacing seems off?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, teep523 said:

I love your post but especially with what you said here.. I think part of the reason why JH tends to leave it to SH to decide on the progression of the rls is because she's unsure of herself, and is also aware of her own lack of experience, and also maybe because deep down she doesn't believe that SH likes her yet. And also remember what HR said the earlier episodes abt how she can't be the one to propose marriage cos she's a girl? I think it's partly this reluctance be aggressive because the general consensus or societal norm is that guys should be the ones taking the lead in the rls. However, I also hope that JH gets to decide on their progress at some point in the rls.

It actually make sense that their relationship progression up until now was based on SH's feeling for the reasons you mentioned here. But now that their feelings are mutual, moving forward I think JH will make the FINAL call. :lol:

• Like 8

What if SH realise he love JH when he cut his hair and change his hairstyle ? Like they say women change after a break up, since it's a reverse genre for many things, that could be one too. He was letting go of the hairstyle that go with his ex (he got the same when you see the flashback).

And I still love that after he tell her how he learned how they say the word pretty in her town, he doesn't answer her and smile at her face wondering about it.

• Like 14

19 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

lol.. practicing not what you are saying..

jumping to your own conclusions.. and asking others to be patient???

Many a times its not about personal preferences but the society you are brought up in and the values that you have seen.. thereby making it difficult for you to interpret or buy actions/beliefs of others who have significantly different value systems. And then it is important for people to not delve into fault finding but accepting that they don't know about the whole world!..

e.g. just becuase some are accepting ofr sex before marriage.. does not automatically make it correct for all cultures in the world.. and neither can you or should you go about ridiculing others value system (sex before marriage or no sex before marriage..both ways)..

that is why, when in rome... dress like romans

I don't get your point. I didn't ask anyone to be patient. Did I? I apologize if i said anything wrong there.

Bold part i agree! Thank you for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

has suji been to us..

ep 1: 12.20 ish..

harang tells sj, she has stayed in usa so she won't understand when sj questions jh why property is not under her name when she helped dad with the house loan..

but highshcool she came to namhee..hs been with them since then.. clearly has a mom who needs to be looked after and no dad..

when did she go to usa?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2