[movie 2005] April Snow 외출

Guest LuvU

Guest frances

April Snow will be screened in the Duke University's Screen Society's New East Asian Cinema for Fall 2006

http://www.duke.edu/web/film/screensociety/

April Snow screening is on Tue, Oct 3 at Richard White Auditorium | Cine-East 8

(dir. Hur Jin-Ho, 2005, 106 min., Korea, Korean with English subtitles, Color, Video).

Sponsored by the Asian/Pacific Studies Institute.

news that we missed :(

but it looks like AS got positive response :) ~

** AS was screened in the 32nd Flanders Film Festival in Ghent, Belgium last Oct 19, 2005.

In its FNAC-Public Choice Competition / FNAC AUDIENCE AWARD RESULTS (max score of 5)

and from a total of 90 films scored for the audience award, April Snow is at No. 21 w/ a score of 4.18 ;)

ghentto0.jpg

http://www.filmfestival.be/img/news/Awards2005.pdf

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's another April Snow Review from a French moviegoer translated for us by Camille, a BYJ fan from France :)

originally posted in camille's blog ~ http://toujours-byj.blogspot.com/

From Cluny - Note : 7,5/10

http://critiques.over-blog.com/article-2464356.html

Translated from French to English by camille

In two words: A man and a woman who did not know themselves meet at the bedside of their spouses victims of an accident, and discover that they were lovers. A chaste and subtle film about pain, culpability and attraction.

The director : Hur Jin-Ho was born in 1963 at Jeonju, in South Korea. Graduate from the Korean Academy of Film Arts, his first short movie “For Kochal” is selected in the Festival of Vancouver. His first feature film “Christmas In August” is presented in 1998 at the Week of Criticism in Cannes.

Reviews: In-Su is a lighting engineer for concert. One day, he receives a call: his wife has just had an accident and she is seriously wounded. When he arrives at the hospital, he also learns that she was in the same car with a man, in the coma. With the wife of this one, they get back their spouse’s stuffs and discover that they were lovers.

Neighbourhoods in a hotel in front of the hospital, they initially avoid each other, locked in their own pain. But when they must go to the funeral of a third victim of the accident, confronted with the violence of the blame, they are constrained to share this unbearable pain.

Trapped in a provincial town, divided between duty, resentment and sorrow, they come closer, rediscover the possibility of smiling even furtively, and end up loving each other. But what will become their love when the victims will wake up?

This topic was already treated in the recent cinema: in “Random Heart”, of Sidney Pollack, Kristin Scott-Thomas and Harrisson Ford suspect their spouses died in an air crash to have had an affair. And Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung in “In the Mood for Love” of Wong Kar Waï come closer after the discovery of their spouse’s affair.

But here, the particularity of the story lies in the “risk” to see the victims of the accident waking up from the coma : they did not die as in Pollack’s movie, but they are not either really alive, as in Wong Kar Waï’s. In-Su and Seo-Young must take care of their bodies, while waiting to be able to pour out their reproaches.

And at the time of a first meal at the restaurant, a little drunk, the shy Seo-Young says like a good joke “And if we sleep together, just for annoying them ? ”, and In-Su just laughs, a little embarrassed… However, morally free themselves from the duty of fidelity by the adultery which has brought them together, they have nevertheless to hide to live their love in a society locked by the social and family codes.

There are some lengths, especially at the two-thirds of the movie. But this languor is perhaps necessary to make us sharing the uncertainty of the situation of the two heroes, the repetition of these days in a bluish light, universal colour of the hospital.

The two actors are excellent : Bae Yong-jun, youthful and luminous, and Son Ye-Jin, with false airs of Zhang Ziyi, successively submissive and mischievous.

And then, what a renewed pleasure to see this Asian cinema, where we understand that the fixed plan is the base of the narration, especially when someone has something to tell, in contrary of these “parkinsonniens” cinemas (Camille : Parkinson disease, I think the author wanted to say that there are a lot of disorder movements) where the “virtuoso” whirlwind searches how to fill the emptiness !

i saw this on the films section found on the home page of Soompi. the section contains movie reviews contributed by fellow soompians

April Snow [외출]

Submitted by mj07 on Sunday, June 4, 2006 - 5:09pm category:

aprilsnow1.jpg

Movie title: April Snow ("Wi-chool")

Starring: Bae Yong-Joon ("Winter Ballad", Untold Scandal), Son Ye-Jin (The Art of Seduction, A Moment to Remember)

Directed by: Heo Jin-Ho (One Fine Spring Day, Christmas in August)

Written by: Heo Jin-Ho

Genre: Drama/Romance

Year: 2005

Runtime: 105 min.

Rating: 10

Synopsis

Directed by Heo Jin-Ho, "April Snow" is not your conventional romance, nor is it much of a melodrama. Whilst in the middle of setting up the lighting for a concert in Seoul, In-Su is called away to the emergency room of a small town where his wife Su-Jin is undergoing surgery. As he soon discovers, she was not alone in the car when it crashed, and she was not, as she'd told him, away on business. His wife's affair is made agonisingly plain as he and the wife of her lover sort through their spouses’ belongings. Both accident victims end up in lengthy comas and our leads are forced to rent hotel rooms, play caretaker, and wait.

Seo-Young is a housewife and In-Su a lighting engineer. These two ordinary people are suddenly thrown into a situation for which they have no resources to deal with. In-Su's father-in-law comes to visit the hospital, they eat together saying little. The scene is thick with tension and you know In-Su is thinking how he can't possibly share his grief with this man. Meanwhile Seo-Young is completely isolated, no other family or friends come to visit and she spends her evenings drinking alone in her hotel room. Standing at her window one night she witnesses In-Su throwing snowballs against the side of the building next door and goes down to join him. The two develop an awkward friendship, joined by a common tragedy and secrets they can barely talk about. Then, like Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung in Wong Kar-Wai's "In the Mood for Love", they tentatively begin an affair of their own.

edited by jiejunwoo

Review

Die-hard Bae Yong-Jun fans and anyone familiar with Heo Jin-Ho's work on "Christmas in August" and "One Fine Spring Day" will probably find this outing enjoyable. The rest may very well be bored. Like both previous films, there are really only two characters, and the fact he can make an almost 2-hour film this way sometimes amazes me. His pacing may be slow at times, but the raw emotion he draws from his actors is to be applauded. There's no melodrama here, just real life pain. As I watched, I couldn't help but feel every emotion the characters must be feeling, all the frustration and confusion. Both actors carry their roles beautifully.

After they've become more involved, Seo-Young says to him "I must be losing my mind... what's going to become of us?" a question I kept wondering to myself. Apparently snowfall in April is rare in Korea, thus the significance of the title. Can a relationship that began the way theirs did last? Is it even realistic to expect it to?

Would there be some lame melodramatic twist that would ruin the whole film? Would someone get hit by a truck? Or lose their memory? Or develop a brain tumour?

Thankfully, none of the above. Highly recommended.

edited by jiejunwoo

Guest bellegray

I just watched it..

the only thing that bothered me..was the ending..

and it was slow

even though I didnt like the lack of dialogue, i think that brought more emotion to the screen though..so it was okay~

Overall the movie was alright~ ^^

Guest chibimarukochan

I just watched it..

the only thing that bothered me..was the ending..

and it was slow

even though I didnt like the lack of dialogue, i think that brought more emotion to the screen though..so it was okay~

Overall the movie was alright~ ^^

yeah the movie was pretty ok. nothing much special really. :phew: actually it was kinda boring...but then it's not really my type of movie i guess. :sweatingbullets:

another AS review from a french moviegoer :)

From : http://sablier.hautetfort.com/archive/2006...atin-calme.html

posted in camille's blog ~ http://toujours-byj.blogspot.com/

From Fuligineuse’s blog Sablier – April 24th 2006

Snows in the country of the Morning Calm

Without noise, under the mirror of deep and calm lakes,

the cygne chases away the wave with its wide palms,

And slides. The down of its flanks is like

the snows of April which crumble by the sun…

From the poem « Le Cygne » of René François Sully Prudhomme

An Asian film, where the two heroes, confronted to the revelation that their respective spouse have an affair, end up comforting themselves together… Yes, but it is not “In the Mood for Love”, today it is “April Snow”.

A man speaks to his wife hospitalized in a deep coma… Yes, but it is not “Parle avec elle”, today it is “April Snow”. (camille :Parle avec elle is a Spanish movie of director Pedro Almodovar - original title : “Hable con ella »)

The beginning : In-Su, young lighting engineer of spectacles, and Seo-Young, housewife, come from Seoul to a hospital in province, because they have just learned that their spouse had a serious car accident. (Separately; they do not know each other). Whereas their spouses are plunged in a deep coma, In-su and Seo-Young discover that they maintained an extra-marital relationship.

April Snow is the third feature film of the Korean director Jin-Ho Hur. He had realised before “Christmas in August”, introduced at Cannes festival in 1998. The Korean title of the movie is “oechul” which means “to enter and to leave”. The director justifies his choice like this : “We can leave a city, enter in a small city which we don’t know. We can also leave a world in which we believe (for example we trust our partner, their fidelity). But the translation in other languages did not give these feelings.” For the international distribution of the movie, Jin-Ho Hur then chose the title “April Snow” because this translation corresponds to the general tonality of his film.

In “Christmas in August”, the director treats love at its beginning whereas in “One Fine Spring Day”, he shows the end of a relation. April Snow shows a different state of love : “When someone loves, he feels various emotions. Even if two people trust each other, betrayal exists sometimes. How can we understand the anger which occurs then? Should the situation be accepted? Does the couple have to be destroyed? These are the questions that I wanted to explore”, explains Jin-Ho Hur.

He does it with delicacy and realism at the same time. The characters are credible, often uncertain about their own emotions. Only a little inconvenient element, a music rather soppy and too overwhelming. At the end, a beautiful movie. (As I wear glasses, I was charmed to see the protagonist who is a young and handsome man to wear it too…)

April Snow News from France

Posted by camille / http://toujours-byj.blogspot.com/

Since last Wednesday September 20th, the screening of April Snow in France is finished.

Although I’m a little sad, I’m still very proud because more than 5 months of screening is really fantastic.

To have some fun, I made a small comparison between April Snow and some Korean movies in French box office. The comparison is made on the number of spectators who have watched these movies at their first day released in Paris as well as the total in France during their first week screening.

comparaison2ch2.jpg

We can see that April Snow was doing well, considering the small number of theatres where the movie was showed, compared to Taegukgi for example which had a very important campaign of publicity when it was released with large posters in Parisian subway.

And to finish, I would like to share with you 2 others AS reviews from French movie-goers.

Have a nice week ahead.

From http://shortcakes.blogs.allocine.fr/shortc...-april_snow.htm

Written by Shortcakes on Sunday August 27th 2006 -00:36 - Note 3/4 stars

April Snow

April Snow is a Korean movie realized by Jin-Ho Hur who remains modest and touches us by the simplicity of the setting and the dialogue. Indeed, the director shows a lot of feelings by a slow rhythm (perhaps too much for some people). The two principal actors, Ye-Jin Son and Yong-Jun Bae, have contributed a lot to this because each of their gestures is a suggestion, a thought. Their acting is all in subtlety, fluidity and sensitivity. The subject of this film is love in betrayal thus we leave the theatre appeased. The Korean cinema really did not finish to surprise us.

http://sablier.hautetfort.com/archive/2006...atin-calme.html

From Fuligineuse’s blog – April 24th 2006

Snows in the country of the Morning Calm

Without noise, under the mirror of deep and calm lakes,

the cygne chases away the wave with its wide palms,

And slides. The down of its flanks is like

the snows of April which crumble by the sun’¦

From the poem « Le Cygne » of Rene Francois Sully Prudhomme

An Asian film, where the two heroes, confronted to the revelation that their respective spouse have an affair, end up comforting themselves together Yes, but it is not ‘In the Mood for Love’, today it is ‘April Snow’

A man speaks to his wife hospitalized in a deep coma ’Yes, but it is not ‘Parle avec elle’, today it is ‘April Snow’. (camille :Parle avec elle is a Spanish movie of director Pedro Almodovar - original title : ‘Hable con ella »)

The beginning: In-Su, young lighting engineer of spectacles, and Seo-Young, housewife, come from Seoul to a hospital in province, because they have just learned that their spouse had a serious car accident. (Separately; they do not know each other). Whereas their spouses are plunged in a deep coma, In-su and Seo-Young discover that they maintained an extra-marital relationship.

April Snow is the third feature film of the Korean director Jin-Ho Hur. He had realised before ‘Christmas in August’, introduced at Cannes festival in 1998. The Korean title of the movie is ‘oechul’ which means ‘to enter and to leave’. The director justifies his choice like this: ‘We can leave a city, enter in a small city which we don’t know. We can also leave a world in which we believe (for example we trust our partner, their fidelity). But the translations in other languages did not give these feelings.’ For the international distribution of the movie, Jin-Ho Hur then chose the title ‘April Snow’ because this translation corresponds to the general tonality of his film.

In ‘Christmas in August’, the director treats love at its beginning whereas in ‘One Fine Spring Day’, he shows the end of a relation. April Snow shows a different state of love: ‘When someone loves, he feels various emotions. Even if two people trust each other, betrayal exists sometimes. How can we understand the anger which occurs then? Should the situation be accepted? Does the couple have to be destroyed? These are the questions that I wanted to explore’, explains Jin-Ho Hur.

He does it with delicacy and realism at the same time. The characters are credible, often uncertain about their own emotions. Only a little inconvenient element, a music rather soppy and too overwhelming. At the end, a beautiful movie. (As I wear glasses, I was charmed to see the protagonist who is a young and handsome man to wear it too’)

Making of April Snow; an essay written by producer Bae Yong Guk

Japanese to English translation by cloud nine

posted in BYJ's Quilt

Along with the DVD of ASDC, which I received last week, came a booklet written

by its producer Bae Yong Guk, in which he has introduced many episodes about the

staff, actors and shooting. The first piece was a story how the producer(the

writer), the music director, and the movie director met. Actually these men are

alumni of Yongsei University. Didn't you know that?

This reminded me of the excitement I read in last year's postings by Canadian and Ameridan sisters.

Hope you will enjoy.

cloud nine

cloud nine : From the 31-pages essay book I've chosen the last piece and translated.

'Having received the requests from North American fans'

I received a lot of E-mails from around the world. Among them were the ones

from Middle East, Africa, and even from South America. Of course what was

written in each mail were all different, but they were all related to the movie

'April Snow'. Korean fans mostly advised us on strategy of publicity for the

movie and Japanese fans asked us whether we could help them get the tickets for

the event (cloud nine: supposedly an event at Saitama Arena). While Chinese

fans mostly asked for the simultaneous release of the movie in September.

North American fans also contacted us. A large number of mails came from N.Y.,

Seatle, Hawaii, and L.A., but the most mails came from Vancouver and Tronto,

Canada, and what they wrote was very specific. As they wanted to see the movie

in North America, they requested its screening as early as possible. It was

just a time when AS was invited to the 30th Tronto Int'l Film Festival and it

was scheduled to be shown on Sep. 14 in Tronto. I informed them of this and

wrote that North American fan's dream would come true. Having heard this news,

many North American fans went to Tronto to see the movie. Then they wrote me

to tell that they, usually only exchange E-mails, had a chance to actually meet

and talk to each other while dining out and that the movie was very impressive.

Moreover, when the 24th Vancouver Int'l Film Festival was held at the end of

September, BYJ's fans again requested us that AS be shown there. I wrote back

to tell that we had no plan for the AS's entry to VIFF, then the fans asked the

organizer of VIFF for the screening of AS. The organizer of VIFF, not knowing

what to do with the mails and phone calls from fans, finally decided to announce

the official invitation of AS at all cost. Thus AS was shown and on the VIFF's

official website there was a comment as follows;

'This is what we have never experienced before. AS was invited to VIFF by the

request of its fans.'

Later I heard that the organizer of VIFF was amazed by the great effect of AS and that they had never imagined such high popularity of a certain Korean actor.

They also added that they would continuously invite the films of Korean stars.

Guest frances

after more than 5 months of showing in french theaters, AS was recently re-screened in France !

here are more reviews from french moviegoers shared to us by camille :)

originally posted in camille's blog

camille wrote ~

French Reviews of April Snow !

To celebrate the screening of April Snow again in France, I would like to share some French reviews from movie-goers of the movie-portal Allocine.

Please enjoy !

From http://www.allocine.fr/film/critiquepublic...ilm=108687.html

From Lafoudre – September 3rd 2006. Note : 4 stars

Oh the beautiful movie that we have here. This story is full of decency and delicacy. The 2 lead actors are excellent. If you don’t like Asian cinema (I think that you are wrong), still go to see this film which has a very Western treatment with nevertheless a small point of delicacy from Asian cinema. You are still reading this review ? Rather leave it and go to see April snow.

From Gan – May 20th 2006. Note : 4 stars

Almost perfect. A beautiful movie to watch, to watch again, and to put in the rank of In the mood for love, and others good movies !

From http://gerard.blogs.allocine.fr/gerard-48601-APRIL_SNOW.htm

Written by G.ROCHER - Sunday August 17th 2006 - 00:20:11 Translated from French to English by camille

APRIL SNOW

In-Su is a lighting engineer for variety shows. So he has to go often from one place to another. During one of these concerts, he received a phone call, his wife has just had a serious car accident. At the hospital, he learns a terrible reality: his wife was not alone in the car but accompanied by her lover. Both are plunged in a deep coma. At this time In-su meets Seo-Young, the wife of his wife’s lover. It is necessary from now on for these two lonely and lost characters to live with painful reality. Torn between sorrow and anger, they will try to survive gradually by getting acquainted with each other. A love relation marked by revenge towards their respective spouse will be established between-them.

Jin-Ho Hur is a fabulous director. He presents to us a movie with a great subject, superbly realised with sobriety and delicacy. He describes two persons without history whose life will be overwhelmed by a betrayal and places them in front of a terrible dilemma : neighbours and companions of misfortune, how they must behave towards each other? From this case of conscience, Jin-Ho Hur will describe by small touches, like a painter, the approach of these two characters who end up supporting themselves, becoming familiar then loving a passionate love, almost impossible, composed by a mixture of revenge and tenderness.

The beautiful scenes which follow one another are the most moving by their simplicity and their naturalness. The least gesture, the least word, the least glance take in this movie a primary importance. Without important direction nor soppy dialogue, the camera follows with a lot of reserve and decency the daily life of the characters involved in an awful familial drama.

Ye-Jin Son et Yong-Jun Bae, young actors with big talent, are filled with enthusiasm. In their pain, they are very good and great. They do not seem to play a role, but to live in front of us, the witnesses, a very bad dream which is transformed little by little into beautiful and poetic romance, for our greater happiness and theirs too. The masterpieces are rare nowadays, so do not miss this one under any pretext.

My note for this film: 4 stars

Guest liezle

April Snow for 23 weeks and more...

[NewsEn] 2006-10-06 10:51

Reported by Yun Yeo Soo NewsEn reporter

Posted by gaule yeoja in KOB

Korean to English translation by annamarie

en200610061046521003_0.jpg

After 23 weeks of April Snow at a theatre in France, audience has more opportunity to view April Snow. Main characters are “Yon Sa Ma” Bae Yong Joon and Son Ye Jin..

April Snow produced by Hu Jin Ho was showing for approximately 23 weeks at 60 different screens started on April 12th until mid September.

On September 27th, April Snow was showing again at two theatres. And today, it's showing at 3 additional theatres in France.

After the showing in last April, the movie received excellent rating in CineLive magazine. The movie critiques rated 3 out of 4 maximum score.

April Snow is a story of a man and a woman, whose spouses were in coma after the car accident. Their spouses were in love with each other. Last fall, April Snow opened in theaters in Korea.

Archived