[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruler releases stills of Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho

83813761.1_99_20170412080802.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-04-11%2Bat%2B5.16.19%2BPM.png

Sports Dong A via Naver: Kim So Hyun's elegance... "Glad that I joined 'Ruler'"

1. [+2,338, -75] She's elegant and pretty not to mention she's an excellent actress.. You can't help but adore her ㅠㅠ

2. [+1,655, -72] Wow freaking pretty.. Ruler is gonna be great.

3. [+1,592, -70] She gets prettier as she grows older

4. [+1,195, -70] Wow she's pretty in that hanbok

5. [+1,128, -63] Not only is she gorgeous but she's talented at acting too

6. [+128, -23] Lovely So Hyunie. I thought she's do well in sageuks seeing her in Goblin

7. [+125, -25] She looks very refined~ Hanboks suited her so well in Goblin

2017041101000968700068771_20170411111308077.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-04-11%2Bat%2B4.33.57%2BPM.png

Sports Chosun via Naver: 'Ruler' reveals Yoo Seung Ho's first still cuts..."Crown Prince"
1. [+1,235, -73] Handsome..

2. [+920, -115] Out of all young actors, Yoo Seung Ho looks the best in sageuk costumes  ~♡

3. [+588, -5] Looking forward to it ~~~♡♡

4. [+559, -62] Seung Ho's auntie fan over her. I can't wait for Ruler

5. [+497, -42] He served in the army early, he never gets hate and his popularity went up. Other celebrities need to take a leaf out of his book

6. [+238, -27] Aigoo~ Handsome:) He grew up well!!!

7. [+228, -31] Seung Ho doesn't disappoint

http://kkul-jaem.blogspot.mx/2017/04/ruler-releases-stills-of-kim-so-hyun.html

@faye406 Yey, I remember, it is dramabeans. I read a lot of different topics and different articles, I forgot which is which :tongue:

However if the information is indeed true, the contradiction lies here:

Notice the 5 toes of the dragon in the emblem, right in YSH's shoulders. YEP, he'll be king, not just a prince then -_-

Anyway, I think we already have a clue when our OTP will meet:

Spoiler

FIRST EPISODE I ASSUME :heart:

Can someone help me with this? I saw on MBC facebook that Ruler 청춘드라마 X 픽션 사극 O

Does that mean Ruler is not a youth drama but a fiction Sageuk? I though Ruler was said to be a faction Sageuk before?

and now in their FB they named Ruler as "The emperor: The owner of the mask" When will they settle down the official English name of this drama?

42 minutes ago, Ly Khánh said:

Does that mean Ruler is not a youth drama but a fiction Sageuk? I though Ruler was said to be a faction Sageuk before?

and now in their FB they named Ruler as "The emperor: The owner of the mask" When will they settle down the official English name of this drama?

I think the English name will be The emperor: The owner of the mask.. because Viu Singapore and Hong Kong will stream this drama and this was their official title too.

1 hour ago, Ly Khánh said:

청춘드라마-Youth Drama

픽션 사극-Fiction sageuk

청춘드라마 X 픽션 사극-youth drama and fiction sageuk

Am I the only one who thought it was a fiction sageuk from the start? I mean he might be based off from a real historical king (though he might not even be) but there's no one in particular that matches him directly and the whole mask thing with switching kings and then the cringey female hairstyles that don't belong to the joseon era (her clothes look like a noble women's, why would a noble women wear her hair down? I'm not even talking about the bangs) just seems much of a fiction sageuk...

17818401_1425864970801627_3675362952963162112_n.jpg

not even ranting or saying anything bad about it, just that I thought it would be a fiction all along but that might just be my opinion.

Image result for shoulder shrug kpop

I hope if they are going to do a fiction that they can bring out the good points of that (like satisfying a larger audience) and still have a good authentic plot that's not just all about romance.

Like in Moonlight drawn by clouds, It was cute and I must admit, it has this sort of heart-fluttery addictiveness that keeps viewers hooked but it was just too much rainbow and sunshine for me, even the book was stretching it by making the ending like that(The real life Lee yeong never became king and died early, in the book he gave up being king in order to be with Raon which to be honest sounds irresponsible as a crown prince but hey, atleast he payed the price and the author tried to follow history loosely.) the drama had even more of a happy ending. Why should they be able to gain everything they wish to without making a single sacrifice, life isn't exactly like that plus she was the daughter of probably one of the largest criminals back then (I wasn't too happy how they portrayed him either, he was a rebel and did it for the sake of the poor people, could've given him more credit for that).

@bluroses it's not youth drama X fiction sageuk, the X here means NO because I couldn't insert the exact emoji. So Ruler is not a youth drama and a fiction Sageuk.

Im a little taken back by the fiction part but I hope they will get the benefits of having freedom license to write the plot. The clothes and hairstyles are already different from typical Joseon style. 

We are already used to the name Ruler, and now the new English name sound awesome but a little too long. I need a shorten English name that is easy to talk and discuss among fans, viewers forums... In korean name they only use shorten name as 군주 

1 hour ago, faye406 said:

4th teaser tomorrow at 10 am (KST)

OMG 

Translation:

”너 정혼자가 있느냐..?” D-1 본격 심.쿵.준.비 그토록 기다리던 투샷!!!

"Do you have a betrothed/promised one...?" D-1 prepare.for.real.heart.flutter <3 the long awaited two-shot!!! 

'Monarch - Owner of the Mask' drops still cuts of INFINITE's L oogle+

INFINITE's L will be playing the role of a poor working class son, Lee Sun, in upcoming MBC historical drama 'Monarch - Owner of the Mask'!

Despite his genius intelligence and his spirit of fire, Lee Sun is a member of one of the lowest working classes in Chosun society. For his first ever historical drama role, L will be showcasing acting in a role very different from his previous ones. 

L said about working on 'Monarch', "I am honored to be able to give my first shot at a historical drama through such a great production. The set of 'Monarch' is a place where I can learn from the sunbaes I respect so much by watching them pour their hearts into acting from up close." 

Meanwhile, 'Monarch - Owner of the Mask' tells the story of a crown prince who fights against a powerful organization opposing the royalty, and stars Yoo Seung Ho, Kim So Hyun, Yoon So Hee, and more. It premieres May 10.

L_1492040541_0003013513_001_20170413081902815.jpg

Full credit to Allkpop

Although KSH's is an incredible actress and I always enjoy watching her. She is a bit lacking when it comes to expressing her emotions in romantic situations and that may very well be because of her inexperience. She's only 17 going on 18 so it makes perfect sense for her not be to mature when it comes to love. Her acting in those instances are always a bit underwhelming. I wish drama's didn't always run on what and who is popular spectrum and really cast people that fit all aspects of the story. 17 and 23 might not seem a huge age gap and of course we have seen worse but I'm still disappointed. I hope their is more focus on the "story" then the romance.

4th teaser will be released in an hour and finally we could see Lee Seon Prince and Han Ga Eun in one frame. *heart fluttering*

@ObsessiveCompulsive I agree that So Hyun still lacking in romance aspects because she is only 18 years old and hasn't experienced real life romance. But she is good enough actress to overcome that and make her chemistry with male actors believable. And while the drama hasn't even premiere yet, please refrain from saying the drama should/shouldn't cast him/her. Let's wait and see.

Archived