US election system: can someone explain it

Roasty

I'm not from the US, so every time it comes on the news here I'm always like 'what it's still ongoing?'.  Also I don't actually understand how this trump fellow was able to become a candidate and why it's not compulsory to vote. 

Can someone explain to me how the US election system works. It seems very confusing to me. 

^i believe its similar to the system we see in australia. just think a longer and more elaborate race. i think technically anyone who fits the requirements of their constitution can become a candidate.
some believe mandatory voting is a form of slavery, so it violates their constitution. similar to how difficult it is to pass on gun laws over there.

this pdf is pretty good in breaking down the process. i believe they are in between step 1 and 2 now.
https://gsa-cmp-fileupload.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf6099%20%283%29.pdf?Mn9LsC_GfmXkeckbkrjkaEX8UVG6fRaZ

• 2 weeks later...

^ you probably know more than most americans.

yeah, if you're speaking about culture and traditions, the presidential elections are really like a yearlong thing; some could even argue two years. it gets covered a lot in the news towards the last year of the current president's term (two terms max, 4 years each, 8 years in total). the big general election won't actually happen until this november. it just seems even longer this year because of trump's whole fiasco. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2016 at 1:38 PM, Roasty said:

I'm not from the US, so every time it comes on the news here I'm always like 'what it's still ongoing?'.  Also I don't actually understand how this trump fellow was able to become a candidate and why it's not compulsory to vote. 

Can someone explain to me how the US election system works. It seems very confusing to me. 

In layman's term, Here's a simple way of how the US election system works:

Americans get to select a new president every 4 years, usually from two parties, the Democrat party and the Republican party. There are other parties too, like the Green party, Libertarian party, etc. but these are very small parties and unfortunately, never gain any media coverage, thus we never hear about them. This year is the presidential season. President Obama will be "retiring" since US presidents can only serve 2 terms (8 years total). 

We start with the primary election which tend to start a year before election year. The primary election is where the candidates go against each other within their individual parties (Republican: Ted Cruz vs Donald Trump; Democrat: Hillary Clinton vs Bernie Sanders). From February to June, each US states gets a chance to vote who they want to become their president within their party. Whenever a candidate wins a certain state, they gain delegates points. They keep earning delegates until they have enough to win for nomination for their party.

In July, after the nomination convention, it will be the General Election. This is when the Democrat and the Republican candidate go head to head to be the US president. (Right now, it's looking like it'll be Clinton vs Trump. Both are currently leading in delegates in their parties.) Then in November, Americans will get to vote who they want as their president. The winning president will take his/her role in January.  

Trump is able to run as a candidate because in America, ANYONE can run as a president. It's part of our democracy. I'm an American, so even I can run. haha. Unfortunately, no one will vote for me because I don't have the money to run a campaign. It costs millions of US dollars.

Hope my explanation is well? :sweatingbullets: 

@msmargie I think the only people who can't become president are those who migrated to the US? Don't know if that holds true for their kids as well, but if I'm not mistaken, that was the reason why Arnold Schwarzenegger (originally from Austria) could only become as much as a governor.

4 hours ago, CamelKnight said:

@msmargie I think the only people who can't become president are those who migrated to the US? Don't know if that holds true for their kids as well, but if I'm not mistaken, that was the reason why Arnold Schwarzenegger (originally from Austria) could only become as much as a governor.

Hey CamelKnight, you're correct. One has to be born in American to run for US president. Arnold cannot run, but his children can, assuming they were born in the USA.

• 7 months later...
Guest knockblock
On 3/22/2016 at 1:38 PM, Roasty said:

These are the answers you seek.

http://www.rense.com/general58/suspre.htm

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/newage_illuminati/pres_elec.htm

Background info on how Trump got to where he is

http://yournewswire.com/rothschilds-caught-rigging-the-us-presidential-election/

Archived