[Drama 2016] Moonlight Drawn by Clouds / Love in the Moonlight ☪ 구르미 그린 달빛

Maetawinz

25 minutes ago, shisuisen said:

I agree with the sentiments on Chae Soo Bin's supposedly bigger role in the drama. I mean, she was in the proper Crown Princess get-up (with her hair tied up in a bun just like a Joseon married woman hairdo) for the drama poster. :o Well, one thing about live-shooting is the ability to monitor the viewers' comments about the episode and make changes to the storyline to appeal more to the audience. And it's pretty obvious the viewers love YeongOn more. :phew: Though I felt sorry for Chae Soo Bin, but Kim Yoo Jung and Park Bo Gum's chemistry is just too electrifying. And in a way, I quite liked that fact. I don't often see two K-drama main leads characters who, for at least 3/4 of the entire drama, who were just so invested and devoted to each other just like how YeongOn was. It's also not that common for two main characters to be together as a couple or just being in love for pretty much more than half of a drama length. :wub:  

YeongOn... they never despise each other. Yes they must have disliked (or hated?) each other in the beginning, but that didn't last long and it very quickly blossomed into a friendship (with bickering) and then love. :wub: I love the transition of their relationship stage. It's just so much more believable compared to some other K-dramas (of which should not be named here), whereby the main characters hated each other so much, it's a wonder how a loveline could have appeared out of them lol.

Well said, you totally mentioned what I thought esp. " I don't often see two K-drama main leads characters who, for at least 3/4 of the entire drama, who were just so invested and devoted to each other just like how YeongOn was." 

There are no success formula for K-drama.

Some pre-production could be successful as Descendants of the Sun while other pre-production TV dramas could not.  

Some live shooting could be successful in term of quality and viewers' rating as Moonlight Drawn By Clouds (or Doctors) while some could not achieve either quality or rating. 

Jo Ha-yeon is the first second female role who has had love interest with Main male lead as Lee Yeong but I am still very enjoyable with her character. As in wiki, her role has been described as "she is proud, worldly and straightforward." This kind of role would create positive image to Chae Soo Bin, more offers could come to her.

• Like 12

Watch: Park Bo Gum Is Super Sweet (Of Course) To Kim Yoo Jung During Phone Call

Kim Yoo Jung Park Bo Gum

On November 13, Kim Yoo Jung’s guest appearance on KBS2’s “2 Days & 1 Night” continued with a mysterious yet hilarious matchmaking game and more!

While they were taking a short break, cast member Kim Jong Min suddenly mentioned that Park Bo Gumwas also a recent guest on the show because seeing Kim Yoo Jung reminded him of her “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds” co-star.

At the mention of Park Bo Gum, Cha Tae Hyun gave him an impromptu phone call to see what the actor was doing.

Greetings aside, when Cha Tae Hyun mentioned that there was a special guest today and angled the camera towards Kim Yoo Jung, Park Bo Gum indirectly commented on her beauty and said, “Is today’s guest a doll?”

The two former co-stars sweetly waved to each other, as Park Bo Gum continued, “So pretty.”

The actor also confirmed if she is the only guest, before he sweetly said that he has to watch it for sure then. Park Bo Gum also asked everyone to take care of Kim Yoo Jung while filming, and showed a vast amount of affection for his “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds” co-star.

http://www.soompi.com/2016/11/13/watch-park-bo-gum-super-sweet-no-surprise-kim-yoo-jung-phone-call/

• Like 17

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Thank you so much for your translation. You made me notice that he might chew gum or candy. Thank you @cloud92 too. 

As I have watched 2 days 1 night for a couple years, Kim Yoo Jung is the right female guest for this show because of her cuteness, striking strength and fun game playing. 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Actually, one more thought. I was wondering about the profitability of MDBC vs DOTS. On the one hand, DOTS had a lot more financing available to it with an overwhelming amount of PPL as well, plus being sold to overseas markets, selling out adspace during broadcast, the DVDs and BluRays, the OST, etc. whereas MDBC didn't have any PPL in it and so had to make do with a smaller budget. However, DOTs also had expensive overseas location shoots, plus built a number of sets nearly from scratch including the set that doubled for the Uruk camps. MDBC seems to have made done with various existing locations in South Korea, including a number of existing historical buildings. Plus MDBC also had successful overseas market sales, a successful OST, sold out adspace during broadcast, etc. So, I was just wondering which one is considered more profitable. Though, I'm just happy that they both did well since I enjoyed both of them. So, just a random thought. 

As for profitability, I'm still incline to go with DOTS.  Even if DOTS over-all expense was higher (local set construction, overseas shoots AND SongSong's FEE), I believe the asking price for their overseas market and PPL was higher with just the name and hallyu value of both leads, and also the sold-out local ads.  

They were banking on UF with Kim Woobin and Suzy to deliver the gold for the 2nd half. But KBS instead hit gold with MDBC.  I believe the ratings expectation (highest) for it was around 10-12%, and 15% was like reaching for the moon already (as they gave that figure for a reward trip).  But it delivered the "impossible", with 20% ratings, with sold-out ADS (possibly at the highest price), OST hit, content power index resulting to greater overseas market reach, MDBC items and the possibility of more (please!).  I want the Director's cut DVD!!!!!!!!!

• Like 18

i read somewhere that song joong ki made few million $ by doing fan meeting alone ( he donates most of it)

UF doesnt do too bad in china either. 4 billion views. 

i was wondering one thing: what is the purpose of fan meeting? is that like a singer concert? or proven popularity? yes apart from meeting fans, but the tickets are expensive. does the organiser decide the price of tickets? (is that driven by money or the actual wanting to meet fans) im talking general 

CxLPsndUoAIdODT.jpg

this is what eunuch jang say: continue the relationship

speaking of which, yoo jung hasnt got new cf after MDBC?

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%2029_zpsfug7pxmg.

only yj get the joke, the guys around doesnt look impress

• Like 10

1 minute ago, akikisetsu said:
  Hide contents

I hope with this ratings good news from YJ, KBS is gonna be good to her on the year-end award.  I'm pretty sure about BG's place on the year-end, but still nervous about YJ.  :P

I am confident that she will get a Top Excellence Award. I never, for a moment, entertained the thought that she will get a Newcomer's Award. 

• Like 20

Watching the 150 days Special, I marvelled at the deleted fighting scenes of Byung Hyun and Yoon Sung! These were beautifully and skillfully executed and filmed! Such a pity that these were not included in the episodes considering how difficult it was to film these, especially the one of Yoon Sung!

I am been wrestling with the Ha Yeon sub-plot for quite some time now and I am glad that this has been livening up the thread the past few days.

It would have made sense for Ha Yeon to be introduced in the first episode like all the second leads--and I would have wanted that---because she was such a plucky, straightforward, and engaging second lead for the limited time that she appeared in the drama.

However, I also understand why she appeared late in the ball game: The Young-Raon romance, the main plot, had to overcome the hurdles of Young wrestling with his attraction toward Raon and her gender as was known to him, i.e. male, and Raon totally resisting to be discovered as a woman (Notice how even with Yoon Sung, never has Raon revealed and acceded to her being a female even when she was caught? The only person she finally disclosed her true gender was Yeong.) Only then could Ha Yeon could come in as a legitimate rival to Young's affections. Remember the famed cliffhanger of episode 3---the episode that doubled the ratings of the drama---when Young finally revealed himself to Raon with much loved "Lee Young is my name." As he was walking toward Raon looking at her, I was reminded of the Queen's line in a much later episode referring to Young and Raon: "That is the look of a man towards his lover." Young started looking at Raon that way as early as Episode 3. That scene in the library left my heart a-fluttering (wildly at that!) and it goes to show that romance was already in the air! By then, Yeong was already emotionally invested in Raon. Ha Yeon appearing in Episode 4 could now make a "love triangle" credible. I said "could" because as far as the plot unfolded...there was really no "love triangle" for both Young and Raon. Ha Yeon and Yoon Sung were never, for a moment, "rivals" for their affections because these two, our YoungOn, from beginning to end, only had eyes (LITERALLY!) for each other.

How could Ha Yeon have developed under this circumstance? Well, she did by becoming the "bigger person", bowing out of the royal wedding and accepting the consequences of such a decision, leaving us viewers sympathizing with her pitiful plight and consoled by the fact that she welcomed her life after the palace with "bravado" and optimism. If you ask me how her role could have been expanded in the drama, I would be at a loss and would not have a ready "creative" answer to the question. As many of you have said...it will have to be in another drama, not MDBC.:lol:

Spoiler

I love the MDBC scriptwriter. But I also have to say that I love the Reply 1988 scriptwriter who marvelously created engaging sub-plots for all the characters of the drama.

• Like 21

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Actually, one more thought. I was wondering about the profitability of MDBC vs DOTS. On the one hand, DOTS had a lot more financing available to it with an overwhelming amount of PPL as well, plus being sold to overseas markets, selling out adspace during broadcast, the DVDs and BluRays, the OST, etc. whereas MDBC didn't have any PPL in it and so had to make do with a smaller budget. However, DOTs also had expensive overseas location shoots, plus built a number of sets nearly from scratch including the set that doubled for the Uruk camps. MDBC seems to have made done with various existing locations in South Korea, including a number of existing historical buildings. Plus MDBC also had successful overseas market sales, a successful OST, sold out adspace during broadcast, etc. So, I was just wondering which one is considered more profitable. Though, I'm just happy that they both did well since I enjoyed both of them. So, just a random thought. 

Descendants Of The Sun's ' model is totally different from Moonlight Drawn By Clouds esp. in term of production company: 

- - Moonlight Drawn By Clouds : production company by "KBS Media", profit solely to KBS. 

- - Descendants of the Sun: production company by "Next Entertainment World" which is co-invested by Hongkong and Chinese investors, profit has been proportionately shared.

(Moved from SBS to KBS due to uncertainty from too costly production of USD 11 million) 

{Hong Kong-based Huace Media Investment is the second largest shareholder of Seoul-based NextEntertainment World (NEW),The Hong Kong company is the investment arm of Chinese billionaire Fu Meicheng & family’sShenzhen-listed Zhejiang Huace Film & T} 

For Descendants of the Sun, due to Chinese co-investment, they can mitigate risk by pre-selling Baidu’s video-streaming affiliate iQiyi.com exclusive rights to stream the show in China for $250,000 per episode which, in total, is equivalent to about 40% of the show’s production costs. The show was released simultaneously in South Korea and China, the first Korean drama to do so. 

Moonlight Drawn By Clouds is accredited for wholly invested and produced by KBS Media; however, this factor will result differently for broadcasting in China compared to other TV drama invested by Chinese related. 

For broadcasting in main channels/large internet channel in China, according to http://thediplomat.com/2016/10/thaad-and-the-sino-south-korean-strategic-dilemma, China’s response to South Korea’s deployment of THAAD after August 2016, the Chinese government has stopped the broadcast of Korean dramas and banned Korean celebrities from appearing on TV shows.

In summary, due to different factors in production company's investment model (profit sharing vs. solely by KBS) and China&Korea's THAAD timing, Descendants of the Sun and Moonlight Drawn By Clouds could not be directly compared esp. for KBS's profitability. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Grace1003 said:

However, I also understand why she appeared late in the ball game: The Young-Raon romance, the main plot, had to overcome the hurdles of Young wrestling with his attraction toward Raon and her gender as was known to him, i.e. male, and Raon totally resisting to be discovered as a woman (Notice how even with Yoon Sung, never has Raon revealed and acceded to her being a female even when she was caught? The only person she finally disclosed her true gender was Yeong.) Only then could Ha Yeon could come in as a legitimate rival to Young's affections. Remember the famed cliffhanger of episode 3---the episode that doubled the ratings of the drama---when Young finally revealed himself to Raon with much loved "Lee Young is my name." As he was walking toward Raon looking at her, I was reminded of the Queen's line in a much later episode referring to Young and Raon: "That is the look of a man towards his lover." Young started looking at Raon that way as early as Episode 3. That scene in the library left my heart a-fluttering (wildly at that!) and it goes to show that romance was already in the air! By then, Yeong was already emotionally invested in Raon. Ha Yeon appearing in Episode 4 could now make a "love triangle" credible. I said "could" because as far as the plot unfolded...there was really no "love triangle" for both Young and Raon. Ha Yeon and Yoon Sung were never, for a moment, "rivals" for their affections because these two, our YoungOn, from beginning to end, only had eyes (LITERALLY!) for each other.

Hide contents

I love the MDBC scriptwriter. But I also have to say that I love the Reply 1988 scriptwriter who marvelously created engaging sub-plots for all the characters of the drama.

Currently I am one of audiences who likes Jo Ha-yeon's role because we all knew that she could not intervene Lee Yoeng's and Ra On's love life and finally she also left from the palace. 

However, we could flash back to the character release date a fews months ago, Jo Ha-yeon as royal consort of Yeong, many nitizens concerned that  Ra On's status would be a concubine or having affair with another lady's husband. This might lead to the on-air version as we watched.

For editing out, during live on-air esp. in early episodes, audiences might not have bonding to almost all characters as we felt after ending esp. when we watched BTS. I understood that the on-air scenes have been selected for story flow and rating, PD&Crews has done correctly to result in super high rating as we saw. 

Reply 1988 and Moonlight Drawn By Clouds have totally different factors esp. related to main actor/main actress.

- -  Reply1988's actors/actresses were not reputable when firstly casting; therefore, script created fame to them. Sharing roles might be Reply1988's charms to build all characters' close connection (like family members) to audiences to attentionally watching for TV drama's rating.

Production budget has been approved from the Director and Script Writer's sole credit, not from actors/actresses at all.

- - Moonlight Drawn By Clouds's main male and female leads as Park Bo Gum and Kim Yoo Jung is a crucial factor.

Script was mainly focused on Lee Yeong and Ra On upon such viewership and business fact. 

According to News>> Kim Sung Yoon(Director) also shared some of his initial apprehensions when he learned about Park Bo Gum's casting in the KBS series. The actor was specifically chosen for the drama' lead role given his rising popularity. The series' primetime TV timeslot and the investment offers were also linked to Park Bo Gum's participation in the drama.

http://en.yibada.com/articles/164906/20161005/moonlight-drawn-by-clouds-park-bo-gum-kbs.htm#ixzz4PwoSe9hK

• Like 11

As there’s a friend mentioned about how beautiful the last scene, I’d like to share one old pic that made me feel so fulfilled with this drama.

And I really admire PD of this drama, he’s very good at finding the scenes and his determined decision to re-film all the first scenes of Bogum, so we could watch the best Bogum at the beginning. I’m really thankful to him.

TuM3U5K9EA9mUV81MiIugeT9RDtzEfw3LxKoF1fUgTT-1dGq0a-43dhMXDJj8V_a_zq4JlFtw80qifqV67qM6YfL_id3zOHX8ZefchR0zSTO-kjvLQxC4KZx-1hYqsq48Ii5_jYjXQ-zEABPB8Z4pwYXXiMztDPuny1ouMzU9NorowJdqwgmobeTl-Xlj077O31T8egBu_8rpLsgaLbCYulJk_yn_Q7YaQFQg-DAIMMLzIAkry96GRsjUJekjwzcvwgM39vxIJf-MnOyDglISR0pzcU7bK4A16koD01XMUjqyu0l96jsCb1GgTOmcsenSIhSXyJ6EzSQHaTdiEWZeT0d5b7pAcdafQljb0T_WSllFDCLBAr54pqdNspD0THDc6K_o69rTDNUZSkSSN9m2BOgxG9_bpPyjrUG8kKE7EmiIQWMa5eDUsiRqtbB3AcLStVix8o2iYD5gkGPzIYhPoBMYE9BihI_s0_wRXe8SeanDGCahnZvv1F2-X9c_bLY1CxYbefjncdB1pwNr_tHWNU-tBlMxtpuajUZDv1h61O-i6fHvHDZh3ky-rLtdVPgS1EX-y2hGXQyy488lF9BrIjbHBLgF0TmFvIt8mq6eXziYwrn=w580-h595-no

RO is very beautiful in the last scene, and the beauty of the scene just only boosts her beauty more and more.

If RO is the joy of Lee Young’s whole life, Lee Young is apple and the love of her eyes (you could see LY’s image in her pupil).

In this drama, the one caught my heart the most is the untold and unlimited love of Raon to Lee Young and Yoojung is very good at showing that love.

I’d like to share my idea about her very first time with Lee Young but you know it is a little hard for me to collect all the pictures (not good at cap pic skill). I will try and happy to share with you guy when I’m finished.

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Jillia said:

I think they deleted a lot of scenes. I remember from the special that there were also more scenes with Ra On and her fellow eunuchs.

I think so too, isn't there a scene where the eunuch was changing clothes too and RO seems uncomfortable with it.~keke I hope they will release a DVD with all the deleted scenes soon.;)

• Like 8