Soompi URL

pwnkl

Question

4 answers to this question

@pwnkl You should indeed be worried. I just checked. This is my screenshot from that same page. As you can see, it's .com, not .xyz. It seems you're device is infected with a virus. I'd recommend a proper virus scanner.

http://free.avg.com/ for AVG which is free and fairly good.
I've used it myself for years but recently went to Microsoft Essentials. You can google for it (when I try to go to the download page, it will only give me the dutch website, which might be useless to you :)).

It could also be some sort of malware which directs you to the proper page, but via a different site. In any case, it's a good idea to completely scan your computer/device for virusses and malware.

yong pal.JPG

1 hour ago, CamelKnight said:

@pwnkl You should indeed be worried. I just checked. This is my screenshot from that same page. As you can see, it's .com, not .xyz. It seems you're device is infected with a virus. I'd recommend a proper virus scanner.

http://free.avg.com/ for AVG which is free and fairly good.
I've used it myself for years but recently went to Microsoft Essentials. You can google for it (when I try to go to the download page, it will only give me the dutch website, which might be useless to you :)).

It could also be some sort of malware which directs you to the proper page, but via a different site. In any case, it's a good idea to completely scan your computer/device for virusses and malware.

yong pal.JPG

I see now that's alarming.. is windows defender enough? because this laptop is a school property, anti-virus might affect the software we we're using it was prompted to us and to be honest I just got this laptop I haven't even used this for facebook and other sns. I run windows defender and it didn't detect anything. Thank you for the quick response, I guess I'll just be more careful but can't soompi do something about it? well actually if you search it on bing .xyz will be the top result.. so there might be someone else who unfortunately didn't notice. 

@pwnkl It should be enough yes. Windows Defender contains an anti virus program, amongst others. It seems the laptop is running an old(er) version of Windows since Windows Defender has become Microsoft Essentials since Windows 7 if I'm not mistaken.

Oddly enough, when I go to www.soompi.xyz, I get the same page as at soompi.com. It would be odd if Soompi actually also owned the .xyz extension but I'll check on it and get back to you :)

@pwnkl I checked with admins and it seems the .xyz domain is a copycat who attempts to divert add-related revenue from soompi.com by copying the entire site and having their own adds behind it :(

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We've already logged this with Google a few weeks ago and are currently investigating our next move.

Archived