[Drama 2016] Yeah, That's How It Is 그래, 그런거야 | 对,就是那样 | SBS @8.45pm KST

-jade-

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watch Episodes 11 and 12. 

I just don't feel the love or the chemistry between SH and YR, it seems almost forced. Plus I've seen the actress listed in the supporting character role but she's getting more scenes then most the other females. I find YR very immature, I don't think she can or is a good fit for his family at all. I just can't with this couple:rolleyes:.

I cried when JS was at the funeral, I wish we could get more of a background with her mother and sister too. I want to know the truth behind their father as well. I want a love interest for her. The father in law and Ms kang seem to be heading in lovely direction though, I like it.

Speaking of love interest I hope So Hee gets one soon as well. All these great actress and no more male leads WTF.:bawling:

I love the 3 brothers relationship they are so extremely close, and I like that they call each other for and about every little thing. I get such a kick out of watching them. So the grandmother is actually their "step mother"? wow didn't see that coming.

"Yeah, That's How It Is" Wang Ji-hye, tells Won Jong-rae, "I will die if I can't get married"

Spoiler

photo704023.jpg

Wang Ji-hye is tenacious about getting married.

On the twelfth episode of the SBS weekend drama "Yeah, That's How It Is", Yoo-ri (Wang Ji-hye), her mother (Won Jong-rae), Yoo Se-hyeon (Jo Han-seon) and Han Hye-kyeong (Kim Hae-sook) met.

Yoo-ri's mother asked Yoo Se-hyeon to come and live with them but he refused to. Yoo-ri's mother even said they might not be able to get married but he was firm about his decision. Yoo-ri then told her mom she would die.

Han Hye-kyeong told Yoo-ri, "If you get married you have to live in my house taking care of the grandparents for a year. Can you do that?" Yoo-ri answered, "Yes, I can. There's no problem".

On 3/21/2016 at 10:17 PM, ObsessiveCompulsive said:

I just don't feel the love or the chemistry between SH and YR, it seems almost forced. Plus I've seen the actress listed in the supporting character role but she's getting more scenes then most the other females. I find YR very immature, I don't think she can or is a good fit for his family at all. I just can't with this couple:rolleyes:.

Dito, I don't feel the chemistry yet and the YR character has been really hard to watch for me.  She's made out to be such a childish bumbling idiot.  The actress is beautiful though So Hee thought she looked like Donald Duck Bahahahaha!

gaAtv3o.png

Whether we like her or not I think she and SH will become the main couple of this drama and how she fits into her in laws will be the on-going story.

She's made to look so bad thus far, she can only be good (improve) going forward right?  It couldn't be the other way around (as in everyone else adopting to her style) could it?  

Thoughts on EP 11 & 12

I enjoyed the latest two episodes, especially EP 12 mostly due to some really good conversations (eg. two potential in laws).  The subbing I saw was more brief (?) than what they actually said (in many places which I do appreciate) but I thought I would add more elaboration here:

HbABeDv.png

What he actually said here was:

I think half of me thinks of you as my daughter and the other half as my daughter in law.  First half of him is happy (that she will put away the wedding photos and the latter half of him is disappointed).  I thought this was very touching.

QRoaWW8.png

Here what the grandma actually said was 'it would be fun (you will have fun) teaching her to become human being (as in whole person or a good daughter in law)' 

bXGNURd.png

Totally an aside, finally I realized in this episode this actress (Kim Jung Nan) is the one who used to date Song Il Guk (famous father of the triplets and currently in Jang Yeong Sil).  She was in Album of Life with him and they became a couple off screen.  Reportedly (by some) his mother did not approve of them getting married.  He met his wife while filming Jumong and the rest as they say is history - sorry I had to digress.

IKAtmGU.png  

Loved this scene.  So sweet

EP 12 (The battle of the potential in laws)

Made more awesome because of these two veteran actresses going at each other.

RGEnMNN.png

Isn't this room something?  It is beautiful but a little too Jane Austin-ish?  Though I do love her.

VfuMB4j.png

Ofy5apM.png

'half leased' is literally correct in translation (반전세 - ban jeon-sae) but I have no idea what that means.  is this a new term of rent in Korea?  Anyone?  

(Ban means half, jeon-sae is a form of rent where you put a large amount of money (could be hundreds of thousands of dollars) down and then get the money back when you vacate (the landlord makes money from the interest of the lump sum money.  This is different from monthly rent which is the same as in the west. )

3Yus1pum.pngU7Rsk7Bm.png

This is the scene where they both get exasperated after a while and YR's mother keeps saying '여보세요,여보세요,' 'yeoboseyo, yeoboseyo.'  Kdrama watchers know this is what people say when Koreans answer a phone which is correctly translated as 'hello'.  But here YR's mother was saying it to mean 'Look here, look now, excuse me.'  SH's mother is facetious and asks 'are you calling someone?'  but here it's translated is 'I'm here.'  That was quite funny actually but hard to translate.  

EP 12 (Mother Daughter Conversation)

IUggjfCt.pngJKjR4c5t.png

I7UxlJKt.pngzYN8VLTt.png

g0apqY7t.png8JxibCTt.png

I feel this was an important conversation that the writer wanted to tell.  I found it interesting anyway.  This whole conversation was longer but my translation starts from 55:13:

HK: Why do you think of my life in whatever way you want?

SY: Aren't you the Queen of labour?

HK:  Don't sell it short by calling it labour when I work hard to fulfil the duties of my position.

SY: I'm not selling it short mother.

HK: Your tuition fees, seasonal fruits, ice cream and eating all the meat you want, it was all due to the hard work your grandmother put into running the flour dough soup restaurant.  Your father could not contribute much to our living expenses.  

SY:  I know.

HK: Then why are you behaving so rudely?  You know how hard grandma and grandpa worked all their lives.  Uh?  You know how much you received from them? How could you have no consideration of their contribution and say so easily it's time for them to exit to the background?

A person who doesn't have a sense of gratitude is the worst.  I keep telling you it was not grandman but me but you are throwing a blanket over her.  

SY:  I understand, I think I probably did wrong.

HK: Not probably.  You did wrong,

SY:  I did wrong.

HK:  I dare you all to be like grandma.  I can't even go near the bottom of her feet. (I am not anywhere being as good as her).

SY:  Mom, I was just worried about Se Hyun

HK: Are you the only ones in this world?  Are you the only ones who think and are your thinking always right?

Translation ends at 56:22.

Lastly from EP 13 Preview:

gZEy6Lbl.png

I feel the clips between Se Hee and Hyun Woo about having a baby in the preview warrants a fuller translation because the way it's subbed in what I saw it unnecessarily makes HW look bad.  I am sure this is a normal conversation couples have.  More common than we think.

1:02:05

HW:  Why is your family acting like this?  Why is having a child such a must 'do or die' thing?  

SH: Director Nam (Hyun Woo)....

HW:  If we don't have them we can still live on without them.  There are lots of families without kids.  

SH:  You get so uptight when we talk about kids.  It's not like I've been trying to get pregnant for 10 years without success.  You are not trying to comfort me with those words..

we have  had  12  epis  and  the  story  is  moving  oh  so slow......  no wonder  the  ratings  are  so  low.  it's  the  same  old  banana,  meddling  in laws, giving  initiation  rites  to  the  daughters  in  law.  are  daughters  n  law  not  allowed  to have  a  personality   in  korea?  i  remember  a   friend's  mother  telling  us  that  when  a  child  of  hers  gets  married,  her  first  rule  is  move  out  of  her  house  and  make  your  own  home.    she  is  not  the  type  of  mother  in  law  who  visits  her  child's  house  and  inspect  the  ref,  the  bathrooms  etc.  etc.   has  korea  not  moved  in  the  last  century  or  so.. 

will  ji  sun  have  a  love  interest?  the  writer  seem  to  be  pairing  deliberately  the daughter  in  law  with  the  father  in  law  which  is  quite  sick

this  is  nitpicking  but  the  sons  looks  older  than  their  father.  such  a  meddlesome  family.

@seungshin Nice recap. I agree I loved the conversation between Se Hee and her mother, it was necessary because SH is constantly looking down and being rude and dismissive to her mother. I am glad the mother finally told her to be appreciative because without the elders she wouldn't have her fancy college degree or job. Somethings you do only understand when you become a parent, so Se Hee will learn a lot from her own "child".

@lauren2b2 I agree that Ji Sun needs a love interest. The father in law already has two potential relationships (blind date/Ms Kang). I like the relationship between the father a JS actually. JS never had a father figure in her life, her father in law is essentially the only "dad" she's had, and he too see's her as a daughter. I think their relationship is healthy, and the endearing thing will be when she finds someone and his truly happy for her, and perhaps walks her down the aisle:grimace:

Just started this one as it finally surfaced with subs. On ep 3, I couldn't figure out whether to be sorry for SH or root for the mother hitting him. As of now, I'm not on the SH/YR bandwagon. I thought her showing up at his home was unconscionable. So, right now her character is in the dregs with me. I can't figure out whether they broke up because of his pride or YR's wealth and her mother considering her daughter worthy of more. I can imagine that would grate on a man that his future MIL would infer that his best wasn't enough when it came to their living quarters. Again, their relationship will have to grow on me.

Let me say, I also think there is something about the relationship between father in law and JS. Just seems strange and that whole conversation in ep 3 about her finding a husband and leaving, the way he said was like it was against his will! But, regardless, I doubt the drama would go there...or maybe writer-Kim might.

As far as SH and her husband? I definitely think he is stepping out. They both seemed to be workaholics and I'm sure the female we saw getting into his car at the pharmacy is his side-piece. However, his indifference to his family is not only a big problem, I've been there too! I know what it is like when you spouse ignores not only his family but then kind of wants you to ignore yours too. Now, that is totally new experience in a KDrama for me. So far, it is okay but there just seems to be characters missing. I'd like to see some romantic developments for the other characters, JS's sister, SH's part-time brother, and most especially JS. I have a feeling that SH/YR will be pushed down my throat and I'll just have to get used to her...eventually:phew:

22 hours ago, seungshin said:

EP 12 (The battle of the potential in laws)

Made more awesome because of these two veteran actresses going at each other.

'half leased' is literally correct in translation (반전세 - ban jeon-sae) but I have no idea what that means.  is this a new term of rent in Korea?  Anyone?  

(Ban means half, jeon-sae is a form of rent where you put a large amount of money (could be hundreds of thousands of dollars) down and then get the money back when you vacate (the landlord makes money from the interest of the lump sum money.  This is different from monthly rent which is the same as in the west. )

Thank you for the many translations  

About 반전세, I found this article (posted 2/9/2013) which someone asked about.  This term must be started around 2013.  If you didn’t mention it, I would miss it  because  I heard something about 전세 as you described but not 반전세.  

( 반전세란 데체 무슨 말인가요?? : 네이버 블로그 )

or ( '반 전세'http://middleclass.tistory.com/entry/ )

Yes  such great lines by the writer and such great acting by two veteran actresses.  It was an amazing scene.:blush:

51 minutes ago, booha said:

Thank you for the many translations  

About 반전세, I found this article (posted 2/9/2013) which someone asked about.  This term must be started around 2013.  If you didn’t mention it, I would miss it  because  I heard something about 전세 as you described but not 반전세.  

( 반전세란 데체 무슨 말인가요?? : 네이버 블로그 )

or ( '반 전세'http://middleclass.tistory.com/entry/ )

Yes  such great lines by the writer and such great acting by two veteran actresses.  It was an amazing scene.:blush:

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for this it is very helpful.  Things I learn in Kdramaland!

So reading the article, it appears 'half-lease' is a combination/hybrid of 'Jeon-sae', which only exists in Korea and no where else in the world and the regular monthly rental method we all are familiar with.  Apparently the jeon-sae method worked well when the property price kept going up but since 2008 market crash it is not sustainable for the land lord anymore (this is not so clear to me since I would think it would be reverse but apparently when the real estate price kept going up which it did in Korean forever since the war jeon-sae method worked very well. I guess the landlord counted on the rental moving out every so often since they can only collect the money once when move in).  

So the new method was introduced (in 2013?) where the renter still puts down a large sum (jeon-sae), the example given here was $200K, but also pays monthly rent that cannot be higher than 4 times the standard lending rate of Bank of Korea (which at the time of the article was 2%) so the renter cannot be asked to pay more than 8% of $200K they put down.  Hopefully this is what the renter pays yearly because 8% of $200K is $16,000!

At any rate, I understand 'ban-jeonsae' now and the reason why I didn't know.  It didn't exist until 2013!

1 hour ago, Sana Donghae said:

I watched 2 ep of this drama but I dont know if I should drop or keep watching it 

it  is a  very t alky drama,  with so  many  characters in  their  60s  arguing  and  meddling  in  each  other's  lives.  they  get  offended  when  they  are  not  told  that  one  of  their  nephews  is  getting  married,  gather  round  their  mother  when  she  feels  bad  over some silly  remark  uttered  .  it  is  just  so  dull.....  with  practically  no a ction  going  on....

1 hour ago, lauren2b2 said:

it  is a  very t alky drama,  with so  many  characters in  their  60s  arguing  and  meddling  in  each  other's  lives.  they  get  offended  when  they  are  not  told  that  one  of  their  nephews  is  getting  married,  gather  round  their  mother  when  she  feels  bad  over some silly  remark  uttered  .  it  is  just  so  dull.....  with  practically  no a ction  going  on....

I dont mind watching family dramas , I watched few with no story line just following the family's lives and I enjoyed them all , my problem is that I have a lot of dramas to watch ..

@seungshin

Thanks again  You are so good. It seems you had grasped what it was about.  My brain becomes foggy reading a topic like that.  I made it through the first paragraph then everything became blah  blah. lol :P   It must be someone came out with this idea of ‘ban-jeonsae’ to boost a sagging real estate market.  Hopefully it isn’t some kind of marketing gimmick to sponge more money from people. 

I found this magazine article which talked about the writer and this drama. It also mentioned the drama’s current low ratings.    I only began to learn about the writer from this drama even though I watched her drama, JTBC, Childless Comfort,  and liked it a lot.  It’s because at the time I usually watched kdramas with subs  and I didn’t pay much attention to their background.  

김수현도 한계가 있는 것일까  ‘Does Kim Soo-hyun also have limits

http://ize.co.kr/articleView.html?no=2016031311547264350

It looks like there will be a new romance line for Yoo Min Ho and Kang Su Mi (working in  Yoo Kyeong Ho’s restaurant ).   

NsIwsvN.jpg

http://sports.donga.com/3/all/20160323/77164029/2

22 minutes ago, booha said:

I found this magazine article which talked about the writer and this drama. It also mentioned the drama’s current low ratings.    I only began to learn about the writer from this drama even though I watched her drama, JTBC, Childless Comfort,  and liked it a lot.  It’s because at the time I usually watched kdramas with subs  and I didn’t pay much attention to their background.  

김수현도 한계가 있는 것일까  ‘Does Kim Soo-hyun also have limits

http://ize.co.kr/articleView.html?no=2016031311547264350

Thank you for posting the article.

In short, the writer is wondering if the low rating has to do with this drama not being 'makjang' and that the drama is a bit out of touch with the reality, too nostalgic perhaps, but it also says s/he doesn't want to give up on the writer yet so we will have to see.

A new romance line will be sweet.

Archived