[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

Good Morning all, at least from my side of the world. I've always been a silent reader but I just feel that I have to let this thing out. 

I started watching Reply 1988 purely because somebody post a scene in instagram where mi ran omma was cursing at jungbongie (in her mind of course) because he said u learn more from stamp rather than studying itself. Haha. 

I know none of the actor or actress there except Hyeri, Dong Il and Il Hwa omma. And I wasn't anyone fan at that time. I watched the drama just because it's fun. 

So how do I endup here shipping deoksun and junghwan? Because the chemistry between these two people. Because the writer purposely makes me think this is a love story of junghwan and deoksun. I'm sorry if anyone gonna be offended by this but in my opinion if you ship the other couple its because you like the actor itself and not his character. 

I shipped them because it just feel right to do so. 

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

I realize that DS didn't do anything to JH that make him feel thankful to her and fell in love with her. She didn't save him. He also did not notice her because of a misunderstanding. He didn't love her since young because they are always around each other. He loves her for who she is(through the way she interact with other people). She makes him worried and her existence makes him happy. His love for her is all about her, it has never been about himself. 

The alley scene was a catalyst for him to start pursuing her but at this stage he already likes her.

@Howlongwillthisfandomlast I agree with you - "He loves her for who she is... her existence makes him happy". 

I just finished re-watching Episode 15 - where Taek called the chief of surgery - because he's famous - to attend to JH's dad. What I realized after the episode is this: JH had a great admiration for Taek. To JH, it seems to me, Taek is perfection.

JH conceded to Taek because JH is humble and only thought of DS (always). He conceded to Taek because he believed that DS deserves the best and in his mind (and I think JH is so so mistaken here), Taek is the best for DS. But as a viewer, I have fallen in love with JH more. It makes me so sad that he may have felt this way. In reality, JH is the BEST man for DS. I've said it before, he's the guy you marry. 

I can say this here - I hope- because I will forever be a JH/DS shipper, I feel like the writer sent a message that Taek became the husband by default. (My sincere apologies to all who do not feel this way. I'm sure we can all agree to disagree). JH did his best to pave the way for his Deoksun to have the best (Taek). And DS will never know just how great JH's love is for her and what could have been. (An open ending would have been so perfect, imho).

JH made the ultimate sacrifice for the love of his life, but I cannot say this about Taek. In my alternate ending - JH and DS find their way back to each other. Because - seriously she just got so dang tired of tying Taek's shoe laces. ;) 

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, wewantryu said:

Good Morning all, at least from my side of the world. I've always been a silent reader but I just feel that I have to let this thing out. 

I started watching Reply 1988 purely because somebody post a scene in instagram where mi ran omma was cursing at jungbongie (in her mind of course) because he said u learn more from stamp rather than studying itself. Haha. 

I know none of the actor or actress there except Hyeri, Dong Il and Il Hwa omma. And I wasn't anyone fan at that time. I watched the drama just because it's fun. 

So how do I endup here shipping deoksun and junghwan? Because the chemistry between these two people. Because the writer purposely makes me think this is a love story of junghwan and deoksun. I'm sorry if anyone gonna be offended by this but in my opinion if you ship the other couple its because you like the actor itself and not his character. 

I shipped them because it just feel right to do so. 

'Can’t help ~ing' :tears:

The writer spend too much time and give too much focus on JH(the writer also focus a lot on Taek but Taek is more on Baduk+Dad while JH is more on his love for DS and family). 

• Like 7

Hii, glad to know the thread is back, yeay! To be very honest, I'm trying my best to avoid all r88 related (+ the chat room lol), but I ended up opening this thread again hahah. I came to a realization that JH-DS will indeed become one of my ship that ends not in a way that I wanted but they are such a beatiful ship that I don't want to let go. I'm here in this thread because the story told me so. The same with you guys, I'm asking what aspect that made me so blind that I've shipped the wrong couple, but nooooneeeee. NOOOONEEEEEE. I feel like a delulu for talking about them everyday and reminiscing their moments. It's too beautiful to forget. It's really painful to me to reaize they're not the endgame (eventhough I thank the lord with it because Ryu Junyeol finally gets his fame, but-), nevermind. 

About MT, I'm in shock that they're still doing that. And on top of that, "an event to rewatch the drama to put more details on the couple that they've been missed"................. 

Spoiler

Btw, I'm watching another drama to distract me (CITT, lol :p) but I'm not confident enough to post at the drama's thread lmao.

• Like 10

@wewantryu hi there! yeah i am soo agree with you. i think in every k-dramas world, we are the most honest shippers. we didn't know who is junyeol at first and we shipped them because that's what we (and the majority of the viewers) see. we didn't make theories to strengthen our belief, the drama showed what it needed to show and our duty is to watch what we need to watch (that's why i feel so betrayed by lee woojung and shin pd. this is just a family drama for god sakes! not a movie about davinchi code). we simply fell in love with junghwan and deoksun's characters and believe that they would make a great pair. we shipped them because we wanted junghwan to be happy and leave his angsty bubble soon and we want deoksun to have someone she can depends on. deoksun always taking care of everyone at her home and like hyeri said, she needs love. from what we see, despite junghwan never told her that she's pretty and all but he's there to protect her inside the bus, from the rain, and he secretly always put a full attention on her. she can sleep on his shoulder anytime and she will always be in the comfort of junghwan's jeep. meanwhile for junghwan, deoksun is his forever moodbooster, junghwan just simply purely loved her (hyeri stated it herself) and he's happy everytime he saw her.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ic3chubb3 said:

Welcoming the shipper threads back! Life has been a bore without u guys here.. 

I've just previously posted a translation of an interview excerpt from Hyeri's recent interview where she was commenting on Junghwan's confession scene. If anyone missed it, I've included in the spoiler below.

Reveal hidden contents

I've just translated an excerpt from Hyeri's recent interview published today where the interviewer questioned her about filming pausing because of her crying during Junghwan's confession scene. They also brought up how Ryu Jun Yeol revealed this BTS on tvN's 'TAXI' show recently.

Hyeri, "That scene was actually a farewell between Junghwan and Deoksun. It was love that couldn't be fulfiled, in some ways, love that ended unfulfiled. So I had thought that Deoksun wasn't totally without any feelings (for Junghwan). It was love that was too young and beautiful. That was 5 years ago in the past anyway. There were parts in Junghwan's lines recalling about the past, like 'when we chanced upon each other on the bus', where my heart really hurt so much for Junghwan's love even when hearing it in Deoksun's perspective. As the scene passed by, I felt upset and my heart hurts.

Junghwan's love that didn't get to even bloom became the past and I think my heart hurts for his pure love. So I think no matter as Deoksun or Hyeri, we both felt the same hurting feelings. Anyway, because it wasn't right for my feelings to show that way, so I tried hard to get my act together when acting out the scene. I was that much immersed in the drama itself. In Deoksun's position, and also from the viewers' position, I think we all cried so much because we were all very immersed (in the story)."

I am anticipating more interviews where the cast or even the scriptwriter and PD will be questioned about many significant scenes that happened in the drama

There's a new series of Hyeri interviews published today. Here's one interesting one I've came across and translated! Will continue to add on as I read and translate more ~ :D

#Affectionate Ryu Junyeol: Different from the brusque Junghwan who couldn't express himself well in 'Answer Me 1988', the real Junyeol oppa is really affectionate and his personaility is totally opposite of Junghwan. He listens well to others objectively. He's definitely not a brusque person.

#Hyeri's Style = Junghwan: My ideal type is someone who's half like Taek (PBG) and the other half like Junghwan (RJY). I've always liked someone who grumbles often.  The director had asked me back when I first received the script without knowing who has been casted for the roles yet, "Who do you like the most?" I replied while giving a thumbs up, "Junghwan is not bad at all (literal meaning is not a joke)." and replied that Junghwan is my style. Hearing that, the director asked, "Why? What about Taek? And Sunwoo?"

#Come Back Earlier: We filmed the scene where Deoksun was caught in the rain on her way back from the library and Junghwan gave his umbrella and told her to come back earlier first before the wall+bed scene (Koreans have been calling the closed-up wall scene as the wall+bed scene). My clothes were wet and cold from the rain in the previous scene and we filmed the wall scene while I was shivering. It was so cold that I had no other thoughts at all then. Ryu Junyeol oppa was really considerate and used his hands to stroke and warm my arms because it was cold.

Source: http://thestar.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/01/27/2016012703478.html

the underlined part... i suddenly remember when JH stroke deoksun's arm when they're about to take picture hahah

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, ic3chubb3 said:

Junghwan is my style. 

#Come Back Earlier: We filmed the scene where Deoksun was caught in the rain on her way back from the library and Junghwan gave his umbrella and told her to come back earlier first before the wall+bed scene (Koreans have been calling the closed-up wall scene as the wall+bed scene). My clothes were wet and cold from the rain in the previous scene and we filmed the wall scene while I was shivering. It was so cold that I had no other thoughts at all then. Ryu Junyeol oppa was really considerate and used his hands to stroke and warm my arms because it was cold.

#Bad guy is my ideal type: (In real life, between someone whom you have to take care of (Taek) or someone who takes care of you (Junghwan), who do you like more?) It's not anything big, but I do get caught up in this. (Laughs) I'm not good at realizing that someone is taking care of me. I think I really like it when someone takes care of me without me realizing that "Ah, he has always been looking after me". In fact, when I was so sure that the other party was taking care of me, my members ended saying it was not. I'm like a guy with a rough personality (giving herself up), a bad kid in all. I like bad guys. Someone who works hard at what he does, someone who fights hard when working. In one sentence, I really can't conclude a definition easily. 

Source: http://thestar.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/01/27/2016012703478.html

LOL, Hyeri also mentioned in the interview that the Girl's Day members gathered to watch Ep10 together and the unnies were screaming away at the "Hajima, blind date hajima" scene. :D

Happy to see that Junghwan is Hyeri's style even though DS didn't choose JH. 

/Tries to stop myself from shipping HyerixJunyeol/.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, ic3chubb3 said:

I've previously posted a translation of an interview excerpt from Hyeri's recent interview where she was commenting on Junghwan's confession scene. If anyone missed it, I've included in the spoiler below.

Reveal hidden contents

I've just translated an excerpt from Hyeri's recent interview published today where the interviewer questioned her about filming pausing because of her crying during Junghwan's confession scene. They also brought up how Ryu Jun Yeol revealed this BTS on tvN's 'TAXI' show recently.

Hyeri, "That scene was actually a farewell between Junghwan and Deoksun. It was love that couldn't be fulfiled, in some ways, love that ended unfulfiled. So I had thought that Deoksun wasn't totally without any feelings (for Junghwan). It was love that was too young and beautiful. That was 5 years ago in the past anyway. There were parts in Junghwan's lines recalling about the past, like 'when we chanced upon each other on the bus', where my heart really hurt so much for Junghwan's love even when hearing it in Deoksun's perspective. As the scene passed by, I felt upset and my heart hurts.

Junghwan's love that didn't get to even bloom became the past and I think my heart hurts for his pure love. So I think no matter as Deoksun or Hyeri, we both felt the same hurting feelings. Anyway, because it wasn't right for my feelings to show that way, so I tried hard to get my act together when acting out the scene. I was that much immersed in the drama itself. In Deoksun's position, and also from the viewers' position, I think we all cried so much because we were all very immersed (in the story)."

I am anticipating more interviews where the cast or even the scriptwriter and PD will be questioned about many significant scenes that happened in the drama

There's a new series of Hyeri interviews published today. Here's one interesting one I've came across and translated! Will continue to add on as I read and translate more ~ :D

#Affectionate Ryu Junyeol: Different from the brusque Junghwan who couldn't express himself well in 'Answer Me 1988', the real Junyeol oppa is really affectionate and his personaility is totally opposite of Junghwan. He listens well to others objectively. He's definitely not a brusque person.

#Hyeri's Style = Junghwan: My ideal type is someone who's half like Taek (PBG) and the other half like Junghwan (RJY). I've always liked someone who grumbles often.  The director had asked me back when I first received the script without knowing who has been casted for the roles yet, "Who do you like the most?" I replied while giving a thumbs up, "Junghwan is not bad at all (literal meaning is not a joke)." and replied that Junghwan is my style. Hearing that, the director asked, "Why? What about Taek? And Sunwoo?"

#Bad guy is my ideal type: (In real life, between someone whom you have to take care of (Taek) or someone who takes care of you (Junghwan), who do you like more?) It's not anything big, but I do get caught up in this. (Laughs) I'm not good at realizing that someone is taking care of me. I think I really like it when someone takes care of me without me realizing that "Ah, he has always been looking after me". In fact, when I was so sure that the other party was taking care of me, my members ended saying it was not. I'm like a guy with a rough personality (giving herself up), a bad kid in all. I like bad guys. Someone who works hard at what he does, someone who fights hard when working. In one sentence, I really can't conclude a definition easily. 

LOL, Hyeri also mentioned in the interview that the Girl's Day members gathered to watch Ep10 together and the unnies were screaming away at the "Hajima, blind date hajima" scene. :D

Thank you so much for your awesome translations, @ic3chubb3!!! Really appreciate you. ^_^

I love that from the get-go, Hyeri favored Junghwan as a character. And we can see why too, haha, as she explains herself that she likes someone who grumbles often hehe.

'I think I really like it when someone takes care of me without me realizing that "Ah, he has always been looking after me".'

This is so Junghwan, no? In that he has always been looking after Deoksun, sometimes with her realizing (on the bus, the late-night umbrella), and other times without her realizing (the late nights he'd spend up waiting for her to make sure she came back home safe, noticing when she's cold). How it must have pained Hyeri to let go of Junghwan, knowing how much he sacrificed for Deoksun and genuinely looked out for her from a place of deep abiding love. I mean, this combined with Junghwan being her favorite from the very beginning, and the way the writer developed their relationship and built up to what should would have been a blissfully romantic climax, the bait-and-switch must have taken some time (and lots of explanation from the PD :P) for her to come to terms with. 

• Like 17

13 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Some more songs that appeared in R1988 and covered on Immortal Songs:

Hide contents

Love the original:

Sandeul - come back to me again

Buzz - to you

Our little JH song...

Home - Let's Forget

Sandeul's performance was breathtaking. And I went kinda nuts when I heard it in R88, hihi. But it was played during TKxDS kiss scene. Omoniiim :tears:Thank you for Buzz and Homme videos! That "let's forget" song is familiar but I couldn't remember which episode and who was the artist. It's fun listening to R88 songs :wub:

@MrsSoJiSub crying is contagious... Now I'm choked up too...Shin haechul :'( 

Spoiler

There's a special episode for Shin Haechul on Immortal Songs. I watched it and just realized "this is the guy in R88? The one that won campus band contest in 1988?" OMG he passed away in 2014...And he was still in his 40s...I cried watching every performance (especially Song Seungyeon's "When Our Lives Are About To End". I sobbed so hard). I cried seeing his wife shed tears and her daughter comforts her. This episode is really sad, one of the saddest in immortal songs history. But it's really worth watching. His songs are heartwarming and the lyrics are beautiful, like he contemplated a lot and sending message through his songs. A great man and artist who will be missed by many. Aaah I'm sad again :( 

• Like 2

Just posted this on MT. This is about DR's shocking future *I don't know what's fiction and what's real anymore. Meolla meolla hahaha :w00t: here it is, in case you don't want to go to MT~

Spoiler

Title: Literally Reply 1988's Dongryong ~ "Don't Worry Dear"

This show is I Can See Your Voice. One singer guest and celebrity panelists have to identify tone deaf contestants and contestants who are good vocalists only by their appearance. If the guest chooses the contestant as a tone-deaf, he/she will be eliminated.

This one particular contestant is like a crazy R88 plot twist in real life, haha. A Dongryong cosplay in real life? I was baffled :w00t:

They thought this DR-lookalike-and-cosplaying is a tone-deaf. When he started to sing I can't help squeal~ing "dongryongaaah fighting!" XD (and enjoying the shocked face of the audience. Lol)

But as he continued to sing, emotions hit me hard. And it's the freaking beloved Reply 1988 OST, one that was often played during family scenes. At the end of his singing, I teared up. Dongryong-ah, there you are. We finally found you. This is a pleasant surprise :D 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, iloveenglishsubs said:

Just posted this on MT. This is about DR's shocking future *I don't know what's fiction and what's real anymore. Meolla meolla hahaha :w00t: here it is, in case you don't want to go to MT~

Hide contents

Title: Literally Reply 1988's Dongryong ~ "Don't Worry Dear"

This show is I Can See Your Voice. One singer guest and celebrity panelists have to identify tone deaf contestants and contestants who are good vocalists only by their appearance. If the guest chooses the contestant as a tone-deaf, he/she will be eliminated.

This one particular contestant is like a crazy R88 plot twist in real life, haha. A Dongryong cosplay in real life? I was baffled :w00t:

They thought this DR-lookalike-and-cosplaying is a tone-deaf. When he started to sing I can't help squeal~ing "dongryongaaah fighting!" XD (and enjoying the shocked face of the audience. Lol)

But as he continued to sing, emotions hit me hard. And it's the freaking beloved Reply 1988 OST, one that was often played during family scenes. At the end of his singing, I teared up. Dongryong-ah, there you are. We finally found you. This is a pleasant surprise :D 

i cried even just i start played the video and heard the intro.. :bawling:  ohh dear.. uri Dongryong and Junghwan... it still hurt so much every time heard this song..

btw thanks for sharing all of covered OST Reply 1988.. love them all.. :wub:

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, iloveenglishsubs said:

Wowww.....it's beautiful. I love his voice :wub:

14 minutes ago, fairy_pillow said:

i cried even just i start played the video and heard the intro.. :bawling:  ohh dear.. uri Dongryong and Junghwan... it still hurt so much every time heard this song..

btw thanks for sharing all of covered OST Reply 1988.. love them all.. :wub:

There there *pat pat* you've worked hard chingu :)

You're very welcome. Best 3 things I get from Reply88: Kim junghwan, good songs, and ssangmundong families.

• Like 5

@Howlongwillthisfandomlast I know right. Can help shipping them both. Anyway, I think its okay. At the very least I'm on board on fangirling over whatever rjy do now. Haha. 

@lc85 Thats y i just dont get it. Why the ending like that. Maybe the writer jst want to show that not all sweet, caring, loving, kind person like junghwan will end up getting what they want in life. 

@minyeonhan I just can't believe I fall for Junghwan character. I thought i'm into good sweet boy but i guess im more of into rough tough guy outside but sweet caring loving guy inside. the type who would protect me whenever needed. The one who love me unconditionally. Junghwan!! Saranghanda!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iloveenglishsubs said:

@iloveenglishsubs Man. This guy really can sing. I actually really love this song. It brings lots of different memories especially on ssagmundong family scene. But what show is this?

Hyeri did another interview for naver. I don't know if she mentioned Jung Hwan at all tho LOL.

bf5b81da03f2b174cb2be57aed311dc5_99_2016

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=433&aid=0000014937&gid=999339&cid=1012505

Ah, today's such a long day, what with mass suspending accounts of our fellow shipper (9 and counting), I hope there's a good news to ease my mind later today.

• Like 10