[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

1 hour ago, minyeonhan said:

@Howlongwillthisfandomlast ahh when he was narrating the episode with english right? that seems off too... and there's junghwan reading comic at this episode before he went to school! (clue cough clue) ah i love ep 4 soo much : )) deoksun smiled secretly at the bus scene when junghwan protected her still remained a very big question in my life. deoksun-ahhh do you honestly like him or notttttt

Yes. He was reading 'I cannot help loving them' follow by 'You can't help but to love them' . When he read 'You can't help but to love them', the scene focus on DS sulking while looking at JH and right after that she said 'irritating/richard simmons'. 

Same, I also find the scene where she smiled secretly at the bus scene when he is not looking a very questionable scene. 

• Like 8

So the theories and analysis are still on? Lucky I stayed away from MT since some people said JH "does nothing and TK is the one who always do things right". Like, seriously? :blink: Oh and stayed away from all those theories, conclusions, or justifications. I'm no expert but as far as I know, there are 3 important factors in a play: characters, plot, and setting (be it time, place, and corresponding events). Sooo naturally I watch a movie or drama based on what the writers and PDs show to viewers. I got to understand how the characters feel, think, and act according to how the production team potray them. If the logic, the flow, and the feel don't reach viewers, then something is off with the way they present it. Why do so many viewers cry and hurt for JH after the confession, or why do viewers (like me) laugh so hard when cheetah omma dances to "Egg is Here" chant? Because they can understand the situation and what the characters are experiencing. The message got across to the viewers, it's as simple as that. Do we have to make things far more complicated by anaylizing what color represents each character, how TK come to get DS' heart like baduk strategies, etc etc? We don't have to know the rules of baduk to watch Reply 1988, right? My, I didn't even have to know about some kind of complicated mathematical formulas when I watched A Beautiful Mind.

If some people say DS really cares for TK, he is special to her, she worries for his health, well yes of course she does :sweatingbullets: She is always a kindhearted and caring person, not only to TK but to her family members (ALL of them including bora unni), neighbours (Kim sajang greeting, anyone?), and friends (remember her classmate who had epilepsy? Why make a story of that if the writer didn't want to portray her kindness). Of course she worries for TK, imagine your longtime friend, one of your best friends, having to play baduk for hours, not eating, and taking many pills. She is sensible enough to care for him and that's her charm. I have rewatched ep 1-18 with more open-minded perspective and in the end I still think "Nope...I'm sure DS felt something after all the things JH did for her..." Whereas with TK it's always so subtle. She enjoys spending time with TK but it's always TK who paid close attention to her while she's being herself. When TK rested his head on her shoulders (it happened a few times), DS looked surprised but one can argue that she might thought "poor TK he must be tired". But with JH, you can just SEE and FEEL that it's a heart fluttering moment for her. I mean, any chance your heart won't go wild when a boy next to you suddenly takes one piece of your earphone? Or tells you directly not to go to blind date? Or looks after you in the bus? Or give you a mitten you really want even though you never ask him to? Or...aaah all of that done by Kim Junghwan! That Kim Junghwan guy really is too much to handle with my poor heart :phew:

After the rewatch, I agree with a comment in this thread (sorry I forgot who wrote it) that revealing the future husband might be one reason people focus so much on husband hunt. And it also creates the biggest WTF moment when he seems going through major change in personality after some episodes. In two previous installment, we knew who is who, we just didn't know who became the female lead's husband. Nickname chilbong and trash complicated things more in R94, but this future husband figure takes it to another level. Now that the milk is already spilled, we can only rely on fanfics and FMVs to disentangle ourselves from the horror of ep 19&20. Keep them coming, guys :)

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

Yes. He was reading 'I cannot help loving them' follow by 'You can't help but to love them' . When he read 'You can't help but to love them', the scene focus on DS sulking while looking at JH and right after that she said 'irritating/richard simmons'. 

Same, I also find the scene where she smiled secretly at the bus scene when he is not looking a very questionable scene. 

Now you mentioned it, I suddenly remember I also got confused why Deoksun called him bastard after his you can't help but to love them.. I mean, why..? Why did she feel irritated when he said that? And to add that, after her sulking, she is back to act cutely towards sunwoo hahah.. 

GOSH, bus scene, that freaking bus scene, THAT LITTLE SMILE LIKE "INDEED I LIKE THE RIGHT PERSON" always gives me feels :(((( i was screaming like mad when i watched it RAW lolI and continue to watch that scene more than anyone knows everyday after episode 4 aired. For me, that smile is more than that, I believe in that moment she already felt something to him, that smile, that gentle smile :tears::tears::tears:

edit : i think the bus scene in ep 4 is the moment when i started to believe and very sure that JH going to be the husband (though i know from the very first episode he's gonna be a candidate and already root for him).

• Like 10

The way all of them turn out to be ignorant is a big wtf for me. DS never talks with JH about anything even after the confession, DR and SW are shown to be absent from anything going on around them  and to top it all  JH mentions that DS accidentally met him on the bus showing he too was unaware of DS's flirting. Everything we watched was stuff that happened and only the viewers realised - to the extent some viewers claim never happened.

To add a mini wtf, the explanations we were given in order to believe everyone was lost for five years and resurfaced in 1994 is priceless. We knew it would allow Trash's cameo and kind of expected a time jump, but they really jumped through the years.

And for the major wtf, in 2016 they became the little mermaid and vanished in bubbles.

• Like 15

What mt? And what long posts? So some people are writing thesis on reply 1988 and trying to show the 90% ignorant normal drama watching average children the light?? Ah i see.i thought a drama was for everyone to understand, and not sth only a privileged 10% would understand.baduk is just a game, i didn't know before watching the drama, i needed to learn baduk too.ah my bad.i guess i am one of those ignorant children who only see WHAT IS SHOWN and ignore the light of holy knowledge only the extra ordinary gifted 10% can see IN A FICTIONAL DRAMA MADE FOR THE 90% ORDINARY AUDIENCES

• Like 11

15 hours ago, pi2tni4ng said:

@MrsSoJiSub : well me too. I read all the analysis by taeksun shipper in MT or in their thread. Some of them are brilliant. I can see where they are coming from. 

When I try to rewatch the dramas seeing it from that PoV, it just doesn't make sense to me. It's young love, shouldn't it be passionate, full of push and pull, mistakes, ego, emotions and misunderstanding ? 

They should learn and understand each other and overcome all their problems as they mature together. It would be an interesting journey for us as audience to watch. And the chemistry....the chemistry !!! they just click. And we can see it and can feel it. What a waste.....

In this drama context, the kind of love that taeksun have is just not my cup of tea. No matter how much I try to like it, it just bore me. I've enough of it in the form of sw oma and taek apa.

Arg....imagine all the possibility of them growing old together, bringing the best in each other, mellow out but still so passionately in love and fiery time to time

Aah..its frustated me. 

Exactly!! For me it was only a siblings love, not romantic at all.. I don't want to rewatch the drama because it will be too hard for me.. I can accept Taek as husband only in certain limits...

One things among all the others is bugging me: in the episode "the irony of life" or something like that, we see that the most competitive person decides to not compete.. Ok, fine: years later we see that same person get the girl... Ok, so the irony was only in that episode? Was it another troll?

Aaaaaah, If the writer had explain better some things, i will have already move on.. :confounded:

• Like 7

Hahaha I guess the MT is forever gonna be flooded with theories which you-know-who claim as something that makes them happy whenever they read it over and over again.

Well, IMHO they do have the right to post those things on that thread, since the what they post still relates well with the drama  but what i really don't get is that why do they have to post it there? I dont know, maybe they have a plan to write a book called "The truth behind R88 husband hunt"? Lol im literally laughing deep down. It's totally fine to share theur theories about why TK is the husband from the beginning anyway (as they claim), but so what? Lol we dont have to care about that anymore, cause either way, LWJ writer could actually have made JH the husband instead and all the clues that have been posted here in this thread and the MT would also complete the whole puzzle, it goes the same way as TK. You-know-who are voicing out all their analysis and theories on why TK is the husband and apparently they think it's so obvious from the start, but come to think about it, if the drama ends with JH as endgame, I'd say it has also been so obvious from the start. So in conclusion, LWJ (writer) is always the god of the show, she can turn stories 180° around and still make it believable for some people. 

I have moved on from the ending, and as a JHXDS shipper now I just wanna cherish all the moments that uri couple shared in the drama. I dont care who the endgame is, I'm not even ashamed that JH my love turned out not to be endgame, and all those theories they post on MT, for me, are nothing but just plain analysis, thoughts and speculations that they make to justify and make themselves happy that who they root for is endgame. You know, LWJ and SWH PD nim never stated anything about deep clues shown during the drama, all those baduk, name and other theories that you know who posted on MT are just useless when the writer herself never even thought of those. 

How I wish MT is a place where we all R88 fans can enjoy, like the one we had in the past before the 2-week break.... it all started with that 2 week break that the MT became what it is right now. How i wish MT can be filled with posts containing all the casts of the show and not just theories and clues about TK being the husband.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, namunamuyeppeo said:

Hahaha I guess the MT is forever gonna be flooded with theories which you-know-who claim as something that makes them happy whenever they read it over and over again.

Well, IMHO they do have the right to post those things on that thread, since the what they post still relates well with the drama  but what i really don't get is that why do they have to post it there? I dont know, maybe they have a plan to write a book called "The truth behind R88 husband hunt"? Lol im literally laughing deep down. It's totally fine to share theur theories about why TK is the husband from the beginning anyway (as they claim), but so what? Lol we dont have to care about that anymore, cause either way, LWJ writer could actually have made JH the husband instead and all the clues that have been posted here in this thread and the MT would also complete the whole puzzle, it goes the same way as TK. You-know-who are voicing out all their analysis and theories on why TK is the husband and apparently they think it's so obvious from the start, but come to think about it, if the drama ends with JH as endgame, I'd say it has also been so obvious from the start. So in conclusion, LWJ (writer) is always the god of the show, she can turn stories 180° around and still make it believable for some people. 

I have moved on from the ending, and as a JHXDS shipper now I just wanna cherish all the moments that uri couple shared in the drama. I dont care who the endgame is, I'm not even ashamed that JH my love turned out not to be endgame, and all those theories they post on MT, for me, are nothing but just plain analysis, thoughts and speculations that they make to justify and make themselves happy that who they root for is endgame. You know, LWJ and SWH PD nim never stated anything about deep clues shown during the drama, all those baduk, name and other theories that you know who posted on MT are just useless when the writer herself never even thought of those. 

How I wish MT is a place where we all R88 fans can enjoy, like the one we had in the past before the 2-week break.... it all started with that 2 week break that the MT became what it is right now. How i wish MT can be filled with posts containing all the casts of the show and not just theories and clues about TK being the husband.

I agree!!!! The clues are mostly answered using flashbacks anyways so she can twist and turn however she wants..

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Remember when the gang were watching this music show/competition (??) and Junghwan said he liked band number 1 because the girl was pretty, and Deoksun was somewhat annoyed and sneered at Junghwan ?? And then moments after that Junghwan pushed her head in annoyance...just because (??) istg, at that moment I thought well you two just want attention from each other hahahahahha

I personally loveee that scene so much. Well, I like all of their scenes anyways :sweatingbullets:

• Like 8

I am still not convinced by LWJ's twisting and turning to be honest. It still makes no sense to me how she could develop uri couple in such a way and then take it away. It's not like TK and DS weren't developed as a couple, but it just does not compare! Anyway... I am still crossed and disappointed :P

Frankly, I don't quite get why they want to analyse it so much. I know it's interesting and I used to enjoy some of their posts, but isn't it overkill now? Plus knowing the ending does influence how you view things, so the simplest things can acquire meaning but it probably did not have any meaning...

I am going to be really annoying here but isn't still looking for clues the sign that they feel the need to justify their couple? Why justify it??? Because JH and DS stole the show! there, my immature moment... :P hhihiihihihi

I am still waiting for more information on that whole ending though. Really curious to know if she had intended to do that right away, or if she actually changed in the middle. Episode 18 is such a break in the flow of the narrative that it really is a legitimate question.

@namunamuyeppeo Ah, how agree with you about the MT. I wish it would be a thread for everyone and I thought that everyone would be happy and discussing the series, once the husband would have been reveled. But I just turned into a TK/DS shipper thread bis... Well I am only assuming because I have not been for days now. I saw HSI was active again so I really really want to avoid her condescending messages.

• Like 16

Sometimes I want to weep that I waited so many episodes for a kiss that never came. Looking back there were so many opportunities for a kiss to happen. Man I should have known when they didn't kiss earlier that he wasn't endgame. Stupid me! *wails like a seal* There were so many chances where a kiss would have been perfect...the alley way, after McDonald's on the bus, after McDonald's on the stairs *that was the moment*, the don't go on the blind date, the standing in the rain waiting for Sunwoo, the waiting to hear from Bong about his date, everything in episode 18....I AM GOING TO PUNCH THE WRITER SO FREAKING HARD WHEN WE MEET!! If bad at grammar and spelling me who constantly writers their and there and they're as interchangeable can come up with all these scenarios *sniffles* why not just one kiss. Does she know or even care about the many trust  issues I have developed because of her!?! I am so scared to OTP and ship now because...WHAT IF I'M READING IT ALL WRONG!!! I kind of wish I never watched this drama so I could keep trusting that I had learned enough over the years to know how good, cohesive storytelling takes place.....

I always had imagine that the "think stair scene" would go how it went but that Junghwan would kiss the heck out of Deok Sun and then tell her to "think why did I come? Why did I do this? Yah, think" then he walks away all grumpy bear leaving Deok Sun wondering. Or in episode 18 after they have dropped Dong Ryeong home and he and Deok Sun are walking back home, as Deok Sun is about to go into her house he calls her name. "Deok Sun-ah" she turns and he kisses the heck out of her. Deok Sun stares at him wild eyed and mind reeling trying to catch her breath "I been wanting to do that for 8 years now. Goodnight." or on their drive Junghwan just pulls the car to the side of the road and Deok Sun is confused like "what, what's wrong" Junghwan just like stares ahead tapping his fingers on the stearing wheel and thinking. Deok Sun is starting to panic "what is it, did you forget your wallet..what..yah Jungpa"...and he kisses the heck out of her. Now she's the one staring ahead and not looking at him. Junghwan is just looking at her watching and waiting...Deok Sun turns to him and whispers kind of afraid to hear the answer "what did you do that for...?" Oh my baby!Jaysus! if I can come up with these little things why didn't she a brilliant writer who is paid to do so not do it....YOU HAD ONE JOB WOMAN!!!

• Like 19

Lol I'm so glad we're still posting and keeping this thread active. I've accepted the ending for what it is, but our couple thread is the perfect place to just come and reminisce and/or vent about what could have been in our minds. 

@carolinedl I love reading your comments and how dissatisfied you are with the development and ending because I agree with every word. I've kept myself from commenting because I didn't want to get on the rage train all over again (it's so emotionally draining y'all! Just when I think this drama has already sucked out all my emotions, then I start thinking about the bait and switch and I get all riled up again!) but it seriously just feels so good to discuss with other people who feel similarly about the poorly done twist. 

Fact of the matter is we didn't go wrong anywhere. We were following the flow of the story. Even up till ep 18 there were still signs that Deoksun was not over Junghwan (the whole sleeping at home again recently just as our boy is visiting home, the lingering looks/glares at Junghwan when the group is together, Deoksun pondering over the concert tickets, their warm familiar dynamic in Junghwan's Jeep on the way to dinner, even the richard simmons yellow and green colors if we want to include the color clues). The only thing that started to hint at her romantic interest shifting was at the end of ep 18 when she was checking her pager and checking the door (lord how my heart shatters with Junghwan's each time she did that, uri Deoksun-ah). Which is exactly like how the show portrayed the development of the Taek-Deoksun loveline - sudden and crammed. 

To add on to the WTF-ery of ep 18, Idk whose idea it was to include that Forrest Gump scene (the writer's or the PD's) but yoooo, that was SO COLD. I mean, it's one thing to go against your own tropes and deliberately mislead your audience using your own narrative devices, but to reference a well-known and well-loved film that carries a message of hope and love against all odds, well... that's just beyond. For how beautiful that missed encounter scene was, I seriously question its narrative purpose now other than to show off the PD's skills. :huh: Like seriously, why??? WHY? (joins @MrsSoJiSub in wailing like a seal) 

2 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Frankly, I don't quite get why they want to analyse it so much. I know it's interesting and I used to enjoy some of their posts, but isn't it overkill now? Plus knowing the ending does influence how you view things, so the simplest things can acquire meaning but it probably did not have any meaning...

This. Exactly. Hindsight is 20/20 after all. The weakness of the twist lies in how late it came (lulz is Lee WooJung playing some sort of meta-joke where Junghwan's confession came too late for Deoksun so it was not enough for her, while serving up some Taek-Deoksun romance that also came too late and it's not enough for us) and how it was framed, both using Junghwan's POV and then using arbitrary flashbacks. 

We got so invested in Junghwan's character because the writer did not hold back at all in letting us see his growth and his quiet but deep love for Deoksun. We were meant to fall in love with him, and boy did we. On the other hand, for a show about finding the girl's husband, the writer kept Deoksun's feelings and inner thoughts deliberately vague and open to interpretation up till ep 19. We were given glimpses here and there, but only enough to keep us wondering about who she'd choose in the end. Basically Deoksun was kept vague so the husband hunt could continue, which makes me laugh my head off at the PD being disappointed people weren't talking more about the family stories in the show. Let's be real, Show, you knew what you were doing. And you and I both know what you would have done if you had really wanted us to stop with the husband-guessing and focus more on the families. :P

One more thing, @MrsSoJiSub's comment about how we shouldn't be comparing Taek-Deoksun to his father and Sunwoo's mom's relationship is spot on. The latter's romantic progress is a slow burning one born out of a need for companionship, which is very nice and I appreciatd that depiction in the show, but for Deoksun???? Really??? You're trying to tell me, Show, that a young woman who all her life had been yearning to be someone's number one and who was disappointed by a romance novel that only had kissing, was actually yearning for a companionship kind of love??? :blink: No sexual tension, no passion, just comfortable familiarity? That's what Deoksun has been looking for? I... just... that's quite the reach, Show. Yeah yeah, Taek makes her his number one, but their relationship is so seriously lacking that youthful energy and chemistry of first-time lovers. 

(Side note: has anyone wondered at how someone who doesn't know how to tie shoelaces, use chopsticks, button his shirt, and use a Walkman can kiss the way Taek kissed Deoksun in ep 19???? And I agree with everyone who thinks the show inserted as many Taek-Deoksun kiss scenes as possible to somehow make us believe in them and ~feel the love~ but instead I just felt like I was in the twilight zone watching someone else pretending to be Deoksun. But whatever, we've already agreed that the last two episodes are just inconsistent with the rest of the show.)

• Like 22

12 hours ago, dairymilks said:

I'm so happy that Ryu Junyeol said he wants to work with Hyeri again!!! That makes me so happy but at the same time it didn't surprise me at all. After revealing his honest thoughts on the endgame, I knew he'd say something like this. I hope the producers would grant his wish and let them work together again. AND THIS TIME PUT HIS LIPS TO GOOD USE LMAO. Aside from that, I wish they'd also appear in a variety show together...just the two of them...among the cast they seem to be the closest with each other. They have so much chemistry so it'd be unfortunate if we don't see them for the second time. :wub:

Haha. True. That's very loyal of him. I love his humor. The interview made quite an impression considering how it's his first after getting popular in R88.!

I agree. He seems he'll fit into variety shows. He's quite reserved but still doesn't look boring and shy. Though not among TVN drama pairs have so far have worked again and guested in TVN and other station's variety shows, I'll look forward if Hye Ri and Jun Yeol Oppa can guest together in Running Man.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, balladblue said:

One more thing, @MrsSoJiSub's comment about how we shouldn't be comparing Taek-Deoksun to his father and Sunwoo's mom's relationship is spot on. The latter's romantic progress is a slow burning one born out of a need for companionship, which is very nice and I appreciatd that depiction in the show, but for Deoksun???? Really??? You're trying to tell me, Show, that a young woman who all her life had been yearning to be someone's number one and who was disappointed by a romance novel that only had kissing, was actually yearning for a companionship kind of love??? :blink: No sexual tension, no passion, just comfortable familiarity? That's what Deoksun has been looking for? I... just... that's quite the reach, Show. Yeah yeah, Taek makes her his number one, but their relationship is so seriously lacking that youthful energy and chemistry of first-time lovers. 

(Side note: has anyone wondered at how someone who doesn't know how to tie shoelaces, use chopsticks, button his shirt, and use a Walkman can kiss the way Taek kissed Deoksun in ep 19???? And I agree with everyone who thinks the show inserted as many Taek-Deoksun kiss scenes as possible to somehow make us believe in them and ~feel the love~ but instead I just felt like I was in the twilight zone watching someone else pretending to be Deoksun. But whatever, we've already agreed that the last two episodes are just inconsistent with the rest of the show.)

THIS is so truee...this is perhaps the most unbelievable, MOST PARADOXICAL,  point from the whole freaking drama....

DS was , all like tumblr_moihgdLJB21srz4soo1_500.gif 

and then when she read those romance novels she wanted a love like this:dumb.gif

AND SOMEONE WAS WILLING TO DO THAT FOR HER.... AND MORE AND even shitty-things-make-you-tougher.gifFREAKING GIVE YOU THE WORLD.....

WHO LOOKED AT YOU LIKE THIS... CXFBHWAUwAEO1Y3-540x303.jpg YALL were about to have an amazing love life...tumblr_m80fpm3jum1rsmws3o1_500.gif BUT instead....

SHE CHOOSES A MAN like this... hqdefault.jpg

Or should i say a boy... 

DROPS MIC**** 

• Like 23

@naruto89 I wholeheartedly agree: you should say "a boy". I cannot imagine that Taek changed so much that he resembles the adult version of DS's husband - wtf indeed. From day 1, the present-day hubby is Jung Hwan. I thought it was so bold (and totally awesome) that the writer declared that in ep 1. And I was hooked. Things turned south in ep 10 for me. 

I don't think DS would have chosen Taek irl (well R88 life) on her own as her husband had she known everything there is to know. 

DS did NOT make an informed choice - there were so many things that she did not know! 

Ugh. I'm sorry but I am not happy that Taek is the husband and I refuse to accept it. It's irrational in my world - I cannot make sense of it. 

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, naruto89 said:

THIS is so truee...this is perhaps the most unbelievable, MOST PARADOXICAL,  point from the whole freaking drama....

DS was , all like  (gif)

and then when she read those romance novels she wanted a love like this:(gif)

AND SOMEONE WAS WILLING TO DO THAT FOR HER.... AND MORE AND even (gif)

FREAKING GIVE YOU THE WORLD.....

WHO LOOKED AT YOU LIKE THIS... 

(PIC) YALL were about to have an amazing love life...

(gif) BUT instead....

SHE CHOOSES A MAN like this... (PIC)

Or should i say a boy... 

BHAHAHA (OMG I am so cruel) BHAHAHAHAHA (Why am I like this?) BHAHAHAHAHAHA (oKAY, I am a BAD PERSON) BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D:D:D:D 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, lc85 said:

@naruto89 I wholeheartedly agree: you should say "a boy". I cannot imagine that Taek changed so much that he resembles the adult version of DS's husband - wtf indeed. From day 1, the present-day hubby is Jung Hwan. I thought it was so bold (and totally awesome) that the writer declared that in ep 1. And I was hooked. Things turned south in ep 10 for me. 

I don't think DS would have chosen Taek irl (well R88 life) on her own as her husband had she known everything there is to know. 

DS did NOT make an informed choice - there were so many things that she did not know! 

Ugh. I'm sorry but I am not happy that Taek is the husband and I refuse to accept it. It's irrational in my world - I cannot make sense of it. 

Yes, completely irrational! I WILL NEVER ACCEPT IT! ANDWAAAAEEEEEE

11022892_1580863925494705_1060000784_n.j

this is what i say to the writers... EAT S***er-couple_180.jpg

• Like 10