[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

2 minutes ago, beabeola said:

Sorry if i still bother you, but i need to make a final comment..

After finishing the show, i was speechless, then angry. I was not mad because JH wasn't the husband, but because after having suffered with him we didn't get the chance to give him a last goodbye. I felt cheated because it is like someone said to me "watch this, it is a beautiful comedy" but in the end it is a tragedy. this happened to me with the film Remember Me, it was a trauma.

I admit that i was a little blind with the hints.. But if i have to watch again R88, i will still root for JH (i'm sorry but i didn't feel chemistry between DS and T).

One of the things i love/ed of the Reply series was that the "bad timing" doesn't matter because fate will be there for you.. i'm an hopeless romantic. The failed first love was written beautifully, but for me it was a shock, literally.. But now i think this was the purpose of the writer, maybe they didn't expect that JH would be so loved.

Overall, i think they did a good job, but when it comes to the triangle i feel that it would be better if they didn't drag so much.. The ending for me was a little rushed.. If they expained why the story was told by JH point of view, i would have suffered a little less.. I didn't like that they didn't explain why they were interviewed and that a family-frienship oriented drama ends with no family or friends..

No, we're not fully blinded by the hints. We just went where the PD and SW wanted us to be (Their wish to insert the element of surprise worked on us). Even Ryu Jun Yeol wondered why he wasn't the husband in his V-App video. He said Hyeri cried during the confession scene filming for ep 18. Ryu Jun Yeol also said PD was a little sad hoping the article reactions to center about the family story but what all they got were about the husband hunting instead. Lesson has been learned, the first 10 episodes are the best family drama before the husband hunting got draggy

• Like 10

I have not finished ep 19...I cant bring myself to. Actually I am good with either Junghwan or Taek to be the husband but of course leaning more towards Junghwan. I really thought it is going to be him!

But after seeing some captures... it is Taek! omg~ I was sad, really really sad for Junghwan. All these are not as sad as his appearance got reduced to the minimum and writer nim doesnt even bother to give him a good ending >.< Why?!:tears: :tears:

• Like 3

Was hoping to feel better as time passes but I'm still feeling the ache and loss. Why?! Is it too greedy to hope that the writer prepare an alternate ending? The ending was so abrupt. I wanna know about the rest! Why can't they all gather at their place like in reply 1994? I wanna see them again! I need a closure! :tears:

My heart will go on and on... 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, luffypyon said:

No, we're not fully blinded by the hints. We just went where the PD and SW wanted us to be (Their wish to insert the element of surprise worked on us). Even Ryu Jun Yeol wondered why he wasn't the husband in his V-App video. He said Hyeri cried during the confession scene filming for ep 18. Ryu Jun Yeol also said PD was a little sad hoping the article reactions to center about the family story but what all they got were about the husband hunting instead. Lesson has been learned, the first 10 episodes are the best family drama before the husband hunting got draggy

Yes i saw it... But i think we were a little blind.. Or we can say we have misinterpreted the clues.. For example the pink gloves: i really thought she choose Taek's gloves because she didn't want to admit her feelings for JH.. 

The same goes for TxDS shippers that say JH didn't do anything: he has demonstrated his feelings in his own way.. 

We as JHxDS shippers have paid more attention in Jh's gestures,  TxDS shippers have done the same with T's.

• Like 3

From: http://goonggeumhani.tumblr.com/post/137462155372/am1988-episodes-19-20

AM1988 Episodes 19+20

(Minus the main loveline and sadness about Junghwan)

Daughters Are The Best! No Reason For Lee Ilhwa To Feel Down Thanks To Deoksun X

• [+1475, -11] I’m learning watching Deoksun - I have to be like that too ㅠㅠㅠ
  • [+1243, -8] The scene made me cry the most because I thought of my mom. My mom went through that as well, and is getting up there in age. At the time, I was young and immature, so I didn’t know at all and let it pass.. Why is life full of regrets and remorse.. When I realized everything, it already passed and I couldn’t go back.. Hoo~ Even if it’s not until now, I want to be a good daughter like Deoksun ㅠㅠㅠㅠ
  • [+1241, -13] Deoksun-ah, can I take what you did? My mom says it’s no joke right now…
  • [+1013, -18] Hyeri is so kind ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I have to learn……. The family stories are really warming
  • [+734, -11] I have to become a daughter like that too
  • [+456, -9] I want a daughter like that

Kim Sungkyun ♥ Ra Miran’s Wedding Prepared By ‘Daughter’ Junghwan X

• [+3081, -24] Today, Junghwan was really cool
  • [+1805, -50] I like these kinds of stories better that lovelines
  • [+1460, -16] Junghwan looks cool in his shirt
  • [+1304, -15] Our Junghwan is kind
  • [+1192, -11] I thought that this wasn’t a scene where I’d cry…. But I cried so much ㅠㅠ
  • [+473, -6] This is the best scene today~

Sunwoo ♥ Ryu Hyeyoung, Reunion With A Kiss X

• [+3012, -157] I like you guys the most. You’re just the best
  • [+2274, -78] When Sunwoo grabbed Bora’s hand……………..
  • [+2132, -57] Whenever we see this couple, they’re always going so fast ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ But that’s why I like them…ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+1653, -47] As expected, SunBora! I love you!
  • [+1615, -58] Watching SunBora today, it felt like I was watching the progression of a couple… So touching ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ
  • [+1421, -48] Their start, progression and ending were perfect… SunBora, I love you
  • [+1190, -47] Sunwoo, Bora - Get married too!
  • [+989, -42] This couple is so pretty..ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ How can I let you go
  • [+555, -27] As expecting, this couple is best at kissing..
  • [+422, -24] SunBora, who I trust to watch, you’re my perfect couple.
  • [+375, -17] SunBora is the couple of my life ㅠㅠㅠ

The Gang Of 5 Find Out About Sunwoo’s 6 Year Love X

• [+2690, -10] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ The part was so fun
  • [+2426, -7] “Sunwoo Noona and Bora Noona”ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+2115, -11] Dongryong is freaking funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+2047, -13] Dongryong ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ “How am I the only one who didn’t know” ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+1685, -21] “Is that Jungpal? Where are you” ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+1088, -15] I bursted into laughter ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅌㅌㅌㅌ

Dongryong, Vivid From Being ‘Betrayed’ X

• [+4502, -11] Dongryoung-ah, you’re the funniest ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+2385, -5] Lee Donghwi’s really good at acting ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+2265, -13] I like Dongryong the most. Dongryong-ah, where are you
  • [+1868, -30] Because of Dongryong, I was able to bear through the frustration ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Dongryong-ah, you’re the best!
  • [+1672, -9] Dongryong ㅋㅋㅋ He’s s scene stealer till the very end ㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+1351, -9] Dongryong, you’re the best

Bora Asks For Time To Think At Sunwoo’s Marriage Sugestion X

• [+757, -8] You’re the best, Sunwoo-ya
  • [+348, -4] Sunwoo ♥ Bora - I like them because they’re not frustrating ㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+328, -5] Sunwoo is straight-to-the-point~ He makes Bora speechless ㅎㅎ
  • [+317, -7] Sunwoo’s the best.. He’s a doctor too..
  • [+174, -7] You’re dating anyways, speak in banmal ㅎㅎ
  • [+45, -2] Bora ㅋㅋㅋㅋ “The most important thing is me!”

Sunwoo ♥ Bora, First Reunion Kiss in 6 Years X

• [+2385, -26] She must have said that Sunwoo definitely won’t do because they’re Dongsungdongbon
  • [+1919, -46] They’re really good at kissing ㅋㅋㅋㄱㅋ
  • [+1579, -31] They’re Dongsungdongbon. Sunwoo’s last name is Sung
  • [+1027, -53] SunBora is freaking refreshing!!!
  • [+661, -13] Do Dongryong is freaking funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㄱㄲㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+212, -2] The reason why Sunwoo’s last name never came up is because they’re Dongsungdongbon
  • [+131, -2] Did the director purposefully make them kiss deeply because he knew they’re best friends ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Ra Miran ♥ Kim Sungkyun’s Remind Wedding… Happy Tears X

• [+3101, -52] Junghwan-ah ㅜㅜㅜㅜ You’re so admirable
  • [+1752, -24] Who said Junghwan isn’t a responsible son? He’s really cool ㅋㅋ
  • [+470, -15] Junghwan has deep thoughts and is kind. Who said he’s a dog ㅠㅠ
  • [+411, -13] Junghwan cares for the people around him till the very end. A guy like Junghwan is the best… I’ll take Junghwan with me
  • [+316, -8] Junghwan is such a kind daughter ㅠㅠ
  • [+247, -7] Junghwan is cool till the very end
  • [+222, -1] Ra Miran is so good at acting.. I’m so touched..
  • [+194, -8] Ryu Joonyeol is freaking cool ㅎㅎ
  • [+227, -25] Both my mom and I were crying.

Sunwoo ♥ Bora, Caught By The 3 Ahjummas! X

• [+1979, -13] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ They did a lot without being caught
  • [+1586, -72] ㅋㅋㅋ They were going back and forth, here and there… You guys look happy…
  • [+1541, =8] Ra Miran is freaking funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ She was just staring
  • [+1177, -11] This was funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+1167, -7] Them going back and forth was really funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+1115, -6] The ahjummas as cute ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+786, -35] They’re always kissing. Writer-nim, if you’re like this, then I’m thankful, of course
  • [+400, -18] SunBora ♡
  • [+178, -9] I enjoyed SunBora during this period - Be happy~~

Sunwoo’s Proposal to Bora X

• [+1039, -13] Sunwoo parting his hair was the work of god…
  • [+915, -17] Bora, I’m still wiping my nose from when your dad was reading the letter at the church..
  • [+556, -10] This couple is the most refreshing..ㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+543, -9] Does Sunwoo become Lee Jonghyuk when he becomes an adult? It sounded like Lee Jonghyuk on the phone?
  • [+442, -19] I was happy to have meet Sunwoo and Bora
  • [+304, -6] Sunwoo, Bora - Be happy. I enjoyed you guys..
  • [+266, -10] Sunwoo and Bora is the couple of my life ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I’m happy
  • [+153, -2] Seriously ㅜㅠㅠㅠ I liked that they got married ㅠㅠㅠㅡ Their present day scenes were so cute too ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+112, -2] This is really a drama that makes you realize the importance of family. My family, I love you

‘Stalker’ Sung Sunwoo Still Loves Bora in 2016 X

• [+1426, -9] The adult Sunwoo is Lee Jonghyuk ㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+1028, -44] I thought the adult Junghwan was going to show up
  • [+629, -40] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I knew she was going to get angry the third time ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • [+543, -20] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ That’s the real Sung Bora
  • [+421, -13] I wanted to see Sunwoo’s face - what a shame
  • [+311, -11] As expected, our Sung Bora hasn’t changed!!!
  • [+195, -11] She good at acting.. I saw her as Bora
  • [+138, -0] Sun-talker ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ  It’s better that it was only his voice. I know SunBora, so I’ll imagine it myself

Sung Dong Il’s Tearful Letter For His Beloved Daughter X

• [+1354, -6] When Sung Dong Il was sitting at the wedding venue by himself and crying.. His acting is so good
  • [+1309, -17] This was the finale’s highlight ㅠㅠㅠㅠ At first it was soundless, but then it was a wail later on ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ I can’t see sweet scenes or scenes like these anymore……. I’ll miss you AM1988….
  • [+1050, -7] Bora couldn’t bear to say it to him so she wrote a letter… As the eldest daughter myself, I cried along with her… There must be a lot of oldest gaeddals like me
  • [+765, -5] I forgot all about the husband hunt and cried watching this scene..
  • [+699, -11] Dad, I’m sorry
  • [+673, -8] I kept on crying while watching this scene ㅠㅜ
  • [+467, -3] Ah…. I think I’m going to be like that if I get married too. Behind the happiness of being with the person that I love is having to leave my parents that raised me..
  • [+193, -1] I cried so much thinking of my own wedding. I’m the eldest daughter who’s rough-around-the-edges, just like Sung Bora. And my dad is like that too
  • [+154, -6] AM1988′s main character is Sung Bora

Sunwoo Makes Choi Moosung Cry! Touching ‘Real’ Invitation X

• [+1039, -21] I was hoping that Sunwoo would call him ‘dad’..
  • [+585, -5] This made me really emotional ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Seeing how his name was where the father’s should be, I got touched too and cried ㅠㅠ
  • [+356, -11] I slowly got choked up starting from here ㅜㅜㅜ Sunwoo and Bora are the best
  • [+310, -4] I kept on crying while watching today…ㅠㅠㅠ I want to live in a neighbourhood like that
  • [+275, -3] Sunwoo is cool ㅠㅠㅠ Ahjusshi must be touched
  • [+96, -1] I was so touched and choked up… I have to become a daughter that’s like Sunwoo… Sunwoo-ya - thank you!!!
  • Like 14

Guest wizengamot

hearing/reading news about RJY's V-APP

THAT'S IT!!!

I'M SHIPPING HYERI AND RJY!!!

LOL! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY';VE BEEN DISCUSSING THEIR OWN KISSING SCENES (AND EVEN EXPECTING AT AS EARLY AS EP 5)

NO WONDER, THEY'RE LIKE THAT ON INSTAGRAM!

17 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

You guys should really watch RJY's V-app it gave me some answers and was a nice final book end, Some highlights:

• RJY sincerely thought he was going to be the husband. Again no one told him this but that's what he thought and believed would happen. He said he doesn't know why he wasn't the husband neither LOL. He and PBG never talked about the husband game but him being it was what he thought/believed.
  • He said that Junghwan wasn't a part of Deok Sun and Teak's love story. That Junghwan told his own love (and never meant to be) story.
  • He was informed he would not be the husband during ep 18 filming. A bit of time before the confession filming he was informed of this and he was genuinely surprised that he wasn't going to be the husband. He said episode 18 confession was his favorite scene and that he put a lot in it to try and convey how much Junghwan really loved Deok Sun.
  • He said the atmosphere during that filming was gloomy and down. Hyeri cried a lot during the filming of the confession and that they had to stop shooting to calm her down and then continue filming (obviously because she wasn't supposed to cry during it LOL) I wonder if sweet puppy PBG was there? Man he would cry so bad...
  • He's thankful and also asked fans to be accepting and move on LOL
  • He and Hyeri had wondered and discussed when their first kiss would be
  • He thought Deok Sun and Junghwan's first kiss would be in episode 5, but we got the umbrella scene
  • He ranked the episodes and put episode 10 on low due to Taek's confession LOL
  • He said if he were Junghwan he would have confessed to Deok Sun and went after her during 88
  • He ranked his top 5 movies and did some Q & A (he doesn't know what happened to his jacket left on the bench neither LOL or the ring I think LOL). He gave some life advice and was really eloquent
  • He cried during the app and thanked the fans for the love and support and all the "confession" messages they left on his instagram. He said he is really happy that he was able to convey a character that touched so many and that he really did appreciate their messages of love and support.
  • He thanked the viewers for watching the app and the show. He thanked for the love and support. He thanked R'88 and felt it a very special project and all that it brought him. 

So it wasn't just us and a majority of Korean fandom, it was him too (and Hyeri) . I really do enjoy how thankful he was for everything and how much love he was getting. He also really enjoyed playing Junghwan and seems something he won't forget. I really want to see how the other cast felt about their characters and the endings they got. I especially want to read the writer and PD teams feels and thoughts on everything. I feel bad they didn't get as much of a response to the family elements as they wanted but welp, they kinda brought it onto themselves. I still like the drama and characters they gave me. Bitter chocolate and all :D 

I don't why I'm crying reading this oh dear God perhaps I'm not going able to move on from Jung Hwan. :bawling:

• Like 3

To be able to move on you gotta accept that it happened, that it was painful. Because I love JH as much as the series, I was devastated. Only after expressing that pain and mouring can I let go of what I feel. Even I know that this series was written masterfully, but being rational won't change what I feel right now. Probably after crying some more and ranting some more, after exhausting my emotions, can I finally move on and understand that it was for the best. It doesn't go that easily.

• Like 9

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure many of you have already migrated to the RJY thread, but I thought that I should also send a final goodbye to this drama. In all honestly, I never realized how emotionally invested I was in this drama until episode 20 came along and made me all empty inside (weren't we all from ep 19?). However, I still think this is one of the most well written and real-life-like drama there is. There were times yesterday where I regretted starting this drama or being so emotionally invested in these characters, but ultimately that's what the writer wants. Because of her writing, I was able to not only relate to each of the characters (some more than others)... but that level of realness came out. 

I agree with @fictionista that although it was our wish for JH and DS to come together, ultimately it was up to JH's decisions to make that happened. I keep thinking that if JH just took one tiny step to express to DS vocally that he liked her (making that confession real instead of joke-like), I honestly believed that he would have been DS's husband. However, he never chose to do that. There were many times that were given to him but he did not take the step. In real life, noble idiocy will give you on thing in return... angst... nothing, but angst. To DS, she has always chosen a person whom she felt loved/liked her. TK was the only one, in her eyes, that "truly liked her" and outwardly showed her that he liked her (*ducks down just in case). It sucks to say, but JH's choice of making the confession a joke and telling TK to go for DS sealed the deal on the husband hunt (even though I tried not to believe it or acknowledge it). Whether it was the writer's original intention or not, what's done is done. DS chose TK because he was able to outwardly show her that he liked her (back in 1989) and her feelings grown from that time. For JH, although she was confident that he like her through the hajima, but he let her go once he found out about TK... To her, she decided that he probably didn't like her the way that she thought he did. Ultimately, this husband hunt was done realistically, although not favorably. 

As I look at this drama as a whole, I think the staff was right when they said that it was not a drama focused on the husband hunt, but a drama focused on family dynamics and friendship dynamics. I remember all the good and bad times of the Kim family, Sung family, Choi/Sung family (now that we know SW is a Sung), and Yoo (DR) family. Although they were not one big happy family, it was still great to see the family-like interactions and the parents' friendships with one another grow. In my eyes, the Kim family is the best and now it makes sense why they were focused on their family dynamics (because of JB being famous). I wished there were more time spent on the later years where we see how the characters have grown and whether they're still close now, but overall, the drama was a good drama that focused on friendships and family. 

Whether the drama was originally intended this way or not, I want to thank the staff and cast of Reply 1988 for wonderful story-telling and in-depth & life-like characters. Thank you for making us realized the great potential that the squad and each actor in this drama (special shoutout to RJY). I realized that I was so invested because the characters seemed so real. Also, I want to thank each and every one of you (yes, JH, TK and script shippers) for going on this journey with me. Especially to the JH shippers, I have never been so emotionally invested before and I think a part of why I was... was because this awesome community. Now, it's time to sign off and go back to the real world. My heart will be forever broken for JH, but now it's time to let go and face the real world. 

Lastly,

*group hug* 

Thank you.

• Like 17

Guest wizengamot

MY FINAL THOUGHTS BEFORE I MOVED OUT OF SSANGMUNDONG

(and i'm moving to the residence where the Kim's moved heh )

Okay, the day after the finale, and i finally gather my thoughts back and I think I'm clear-minded now to talk (rather than rant. though i cannot promise that this is rant-free)

Honestly, I'm still at lost where to put Reply 1988 in my kdrama corner. I've watched lots of kdramas but only few kdramas gave me the worst withdrawal in my history of kdrama viewing (R97, Healer, I Hear Your Voice, Sungkyunkwan Scandal, Hello Monster). It's not that i didn't like the others, it's like being a bookworm; you love all your books but if you only need to save like 4-5, these have to be it (trust me, if i could carry all of it i'd take Angry Mom, School 2013, School 2015, Moon Embracing the Sun, etc). 

Anyway, R88 had left a sour taste in my mouth yesterday and it could have been reason enough for me to never look back, but I have to admit that this series manage to tug at my heart (at most of the episodes) and I'm really thankful for this series because I have known RJY. All my fellow shippers know that I started this series because of PBG. I was having my Hello Monster withdrawal when I found out that he's starring in one of my favorite kdramas, Reply series. I really hoped I was reminded of the old adage "be careful what you wish for" because at that time, after watching him in Naeil Cantabile and Hello Monster, i wished PBG would get the girl this time, and it did happen, unfortunately for me, JH/RJY creep up at my heart unknowingly.

I really had no idea of who he was at that time so basically when I realize that PBG didn't even appear for more then 30 minutes on R88 ep 1, I immediately dropped the series, not when ep 4 was already out did I decided to try it again because of the raving reviews. But when I gave this series another try, RJY/JH stole my heart.

It's not about the clues. Yeah, we could all fight over the clues but like what was already mentioned, the clues can both be applied if the writer would want to, that's why my biggest giveaway of the series was because the story was on JH pov. I cannot undone anything now, but still I'm wondering about why did the Reply team didn;t just put it on TK's pov. Like when SW was DS first love, why they didn't just focus on TK. I guess it would have been better if TK was the one who did all the things JH did, that way the endgame's relationship was more developed or was much more explored. But then again, I'm just glad that we have those many swoon-worthy JH (and JH-DS) moments to cherish. (most of their scenes was made into a parody, especially the bus scene. JH-DS moment became iconic).

It's not who deserves you more or who does more. Another reason why we're more inclined to JH is he basically done alot of things in the name of his love for DS. We've seen him in action since ep.1 but then again in real life, love cannot be quantified. 

DS did not reject JH. JH did not choose DS. So I was thinking about it and realize this thing. It's not that DS rejected JH, but JH chose not to pursue anything to DS. JH confession was indeed him cleaning up his feelings. When TK visited him, he seemed okay with it. Anyway, as for DS, she is a responder. When MO and Ja Hyun said about SW liking her she jump into it. When MO and Ja Hyun said about JH liking her, she also jumped into it, and i thought this time would be different. I thought that if JH stopped pursuing her, DS would change into someone who initiates instead of just responding. I thought DR advice of her liking someone freely would happen but no. Even with her case on TK, she was a responder. TK kissed her and that's when she only realized something. Few years passed, and if her stewardess friend did not chide her into the idea of dating her childhood friend (TK), she would have not responded. I thought after 1994, DS would turn into someone who would find out what she really likes without someone telling her.

Why am I disappointed?

- I guessed I could have used a much more developed endgame relationship. In a recent interview of RJY, RJY said that he also thought that he was the husband. He and the rest of the characters were only told that he is not the husband on ep 18. He and Hyeri had already been discussing their own kissing scenes on breaks. So if the actors themselves who are filming the series think that RJY's JH is the husband, what more are the viewers? 

- I could used an elaborate closure for JH. Yes, JH confession was his closure, but we only assumed that since we have already seen that he's not gonna be appearing much on ep 19 and 20. But before ep 19 & 20, anyone could still assume that it could be like R97 YJ's too late confession. I guessed, I could have used more scenes from him moving on, not necessarily finding a new love, but just seeing more of him being okay without DS, and not looking as if he just cameo for ep 19 & 20. 

Anyway, I'm still kind of thankful about this series. I know that R88 main couple was TK-DS, but admit it or not, from now on, whenever R88 would be mentioned, first thing that would come to mind would be JH and his first love. Seeing the out pour of love for RJY (his IG followers escalated quickly and so are the fans support both internationally and in Korea), his Jung Hwan character would stay in kdrama history more than anything else. 

tumblr_my8y38Anxh1t8bckoo1_500.jpg

And JH-DS story is definitely an unforgettable one. Not only because it was more explored, and it ended in an unexpected way, but also because even the memory of the adult couple (during the interview) circled/lingered more into JH. 

11 minutes ago, wizengamot said:

Okay, the day after the finale, and i finally gather my thoughts back and I think I'm clear-minded now to talk (rather than rant. though i cannot promise that this is rant-free)

Honestly, I'm still at lost where to put Reply 1988 in my kdrama corner. I've watched lots of kdramas but only few kdramas gave me the worst withdrawal in my history of kdrama viewing (R97, Healer, I Hear Your Voice, Sungkyunkwan Scandal, Hello Monster). It's not that i didn't like the others, it's like being a bookworm; you love all your books but if you only need to save like 4-5, these have to be it (trust me, if i could carry all of it i'd take Angry Mom, School 2013, School 2015, Moon Embracing the Sun, etc). 

Anyway, R88 had left a sour taste in my mouth yesterday and it could have been reason enough for me to never look back, but I have to admit that this series manage to tug at my heart (at most of the episodes) and I'm really thankful for this series because I have known RJY. All my fellow shippers know that I started this series because of PBG. I was having my Hello Monster withdrawal when I found out that he's starring in one of my favorite kdramas, Reply series. I really hoped I was reminded of the old adage "be careful what you wish for" because at that time, after watching him in Naeil Cantabile and Hello Monster, i wished PBG would get the girl this time, and it did happen, unfortunately for me, JH/RJY creep up at my heart unknowingly.

I really had no idea of who he was at that time so basically when I realize that PBG didn't even appear for more then 30 minutes on R88 ep 1, I immediately dropped the series, not when ep 4 was already out did I decided to try it again because of the raving reviews. But when I gave this series another try, RJY/JH stole my heart.

It's not about the clues. Yeah, we could all fight over the clues but like what was already mentioned, the clues can both be applied if the writer would want to, that's why my biggest giveaway of the series was because the story was on JH pov. I cannot undone anything now, but still I'm wondering about why did the Reply team didn;t just put it on TK's pov. Like when SW was DS first love, why they didn't just focus on TK. I guess it would have been better if TK was the one who did all the things JH did, that way the endgame's relationship was more developed or was much more explored. But then again, I'm just glad that we have those many swoon-worthy JH (and JH-DS) moments to cherish. (most of their scenes was made into a parody, especially the bus scene. JH-DS moment became iconic).

It's not who deserves you more or who does more. Another reason why we're more inclined to JH is he basically done alot of things in the name of his love for DS. We've seen him in action since ep.1 but then again in real life, love cannot be quantified. 

DS did not reject JH. JH did not choose DS. So I was thinking about it and realize this thing. It's not that DS rejected JH, but JH chose not to pursue anything to DS. JH confession was indeed him cleaning up his feelings. When TK visited him, he seemed okay with it. Anyway, as for DS, she is a responder. When MO and Ja Hyun said about SW liking her she jump into it. When MO and Ja Hyun said about JH liking her, she also jumped into it, and i thought this time would be different. I thought that if JH stopped pursuing her, DS would change into someone who initiates instead of just responding. I thought DR advice of her liking someone freely would happen but no. Even with her case on TK, she was a responder. TK kissed her and that's when she only realized something. Few years passed, and if her stewardess friend did not chide her into the idea of dating her childhood friend (TK), she would have not responded. I thought after 1994, DS would turn into someone who would find out what she really likes without someone telling her.

Why am I disappointed?

- I guessed I could have used a much more developed endgame relationship. In a recent interview of RJY, RJY said that he also thought that he was the husband. He and the rest of the characters were only told that he is not the husband on ep 18. He and Hyeri had already been discussing their own kissing scenes on breaks. So if the actors themselves who are filming the series think that RJY's JH is the husband, what more are the viewers? 

- I could used an elaborate closure for JH. Yes, JH confession was his closure, but we only assumed that since we have already seen that he's not gonna be appearing much on ep 19 and 20. But before ep 19 & 20, anyone could still assume that it could be like R97 YJ's too late confession. I guessed, I could have used more scenes from him moving on, not necessarily finding a new love, but just seeing more of him being okay without DS, and not looking as if he just cameo for ep 19 & 20. 

Anyway, I'm still kind of thankful about this series. I know that R88 main couple was TK-DS, but admit it or not, from now on, whenever R88 would be mentioned, first thing that would come to mind would be JH and his first love. Seeing the out pour of love for RJY (his IG followers escalated quickly and so are the fans support both internationally and in Korea), his Jung Hwan character would stay in kdrama history more than anything else. 

tumblr_my8y38Anxh1t8bckoo1_500.jpg

And JH-DS story is definitely an unforgettable one. Not only because it was more explored, and it ended in an unexpected way, but also because even the memory of the adult couple (during the interview) circled/lingered more into JH. 

I agree with your points.. though one thing that made me sad all over again (even worse than before I think sobsss). In the Vapp interview, he did say something about this story is about how you can never forget your first love. Even when he had given his blessings to Taek, he wouldnt be completely okay about letting her go. No one could ever. For that, Jung Hwan deserves the utmost respect, for being the character he is. Thank you R88, for Jung Pal. His charms will be missed dearly.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bluepulpy said:

I don't why I'm crying reading this oh dear God perhaps I'm not going able to move on from Jung Hwan. :bawling:

Im not merely crying but sobbing!! Sigh to think of what could have been, mostly bitter at the wasted potential. What a waste of an amazing chemistry between RJY & Hyeri and what a waste of what could have been an epic first kiss scene between the two if the story had decided for JHxDS. Imagine how magical their kiss would have been. Ah well its time to move on, though its difficult but we have to admit that despite its flaws, this show has truly been a gem. In my mind, my otp is happy with each other. Lets hope that RJY & Hyeri could reunite in another project in the future. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, wizengamot said:

Why am I disappointed?

I love it.. I love all your point, spazzing and all your theory from the start.. I m crying while reading your  post.. You are right, its not about happy ending.. It's about the story.. 

• Like 1

I mentioned before way back that I'd come to the forum even after the series ended because I would come here to celebrate junghwan being the husband 

But instead I'm lingering here for a fee more days as I need a new kdrama to watch.

I wanted a school based friendship based kdrama like reply 1997 but I've watched most of them 

If someone could help me that would be nice....

I'm so upset though my heart hurts and all Ive been listening to the whole time  is "a little girl" notjust oh hyuk's version but lee moon se's too.

I also went back to listen to the other osts of reply. My favourite still has to be reply1997 as both eunji and in guk sing but this one will remain in my heart.

This is so sad but I can't. I invested so much in this drama 

And it was a complete let down 

If you guys want to watch any dramas 

Watch 'Because it's the first time" although you'll get second lead syndrome and die again lbecause I sure did.

Or watch "moorim school" simply because it's not normal and very interesting and the leads are fire. 

I guess this is my goodbye now.

It hurts so much 

But bye

#teamjunghwanforever 

JUNGHWAN HWAITTTIIIINNNGG BABBYYYYYYY :(((((((((((((((( :'""""(((((((

• Like 3

I see almost everyone still crying out loud and cursing the writer here? heheh.

Me too, two days ago, when ep 19 aired. (I thought R88 will be my pain killer for R94 bcs of Chilbong. But it killed me twice harder bcs of JungHwan huuu ~)

Dear JH-DS shipper, I know it's painful and it's normal to be angry, but why don't you take a look for a moment to the thread next door, [Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988. Everyone's posts are very heartwarming. They keep giving rational reasons why Taek is the husband. It will make you feel better, really. I can accept the reality now.

So, let's deal with it and move on, okay? :)

Kindly regards, #ForeverJungHwanTeam #ForeverChilbongTeam

Edited by atalia19
  • Like 2