[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

This ending makes me wanna enlist in the army though i'm a girl keke .i haven't watched the three last episodes yet , i need to concentrate on my emotions first , at what moment everything collapsed ?

Edited by soultree
  • Like 3

Annyeong Yeorobun!

Want to mention something that uri @LyraYoo just shared. Ironically while South Korean citizens are demanding its current president step down due to corruption, Gwangjong seems to be trending #1 in Naver.  What a very interesting coincidence. I might want to add also that SHR was #2 in ratings the week prior behind Man Who Lives In Our House. Immediately after the political scene in SK blew up. Credit to Lyrayoo for wondering whether in addition to our viewership increasing because many more wanted to see the conclusion of SHR, current political sentiments had some viewers looking for something with a little more depth...plus SHR was the only drama that touched on any sort of politics -- huge changes GJ made for the good of its people (we don't have to mention the fact that So made many of these changes in memory of Soo  :lol:).

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

You comment makes me want to list the remaining questions I have about the backstory:

1. Before Soo's drowning, her hair colour is red. Why is it turn black now at the present? (besides the theory that this is another alternate present or something...)

2. What is the REAL Hae Soo doing in the prince's bath? and what happened to her when Ha Jin got switched with her?

3. Who is Jimong? Is he like The Master of The Universe or something? and why did he jolt Hajin's memory of Goryo back?

4. "It turns out I have only one king. he is a friend, a brother, and a monarch. Stop chasing after the person that is not from this world, Your Highness! Unless if you want to turn out like me."

I remember that compared to Taejo, the moment when he lift Moo from the water and mourn deeply while calling his name (not 'your highness') felt very personal. Does he has feelings for Moo?

5. What happen to the boy that Hajin was about to save? 

6. What happen to that copies of So's written poem?

ok.. most questions were not answered by 20 eps because they were limited to do to that extent, and tried to concentrate on the OTP on the last few episode. i believe there were other scenes not included, some say recorded scenes could go up to 35ep, so many questions were left on the interpretation of the viewers... so here goes nothing...

1. the time she 'almost' drowned turned out to be almost 2 years ago, a year we might say in 'coma' and another year dreaming WS, when we have our present time she was in the exhibit .. she grew out her colored hair..

2. the real HS might be a little prankster and it was revealed later that it was CR who told her abt the tunnel.. the real HS might have died, while the soul of Hajin housed the body.. (or real HS and Hajin is same- as jimong said GO means HAE during goryeo era, she really died first and born again at present, learned things in the present time, jimong at present met her then pulled her back in the past on her body with new knowledge, kind of time loop? ah this is the result of watching MLSHR and Doctor Strange hahaha)

3. Jimong, is a time traveler, he was just a special being i guess, or maybe cursed in some way.. hajin memory was making a comeback through dreams.. they say when you are in the brink of death you remember things of the past, so i 'guess' since the drowning incident, her memories of the past keeps surfacing/ its her soul's memory.. Jimong really knew her during the last scene so now for me its confirmed that he was playing tricks with HS in goryeo like he doesnt know her...

4. i'll skip that, i do not know.. hehe..

5. the boy was saved (that is before hajin was pulled down in the lake)

6. copies of so's written poem was in a safe, we can conclude that it went to So (this is based on c-version)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

4. "It turns out I have only one king. he is a friend, a brother, and a monarch. Stop chasing after the person that is not from this world, Your Highness! Unless if you want to turn out like me."

I remember that compared to Taejo, the moment when he lift Moo from the water and mourn deeply while calling his name (not 'your highness') felt very personal. Does he has feelings for Moo?

I assume that both of them were very close in age given the flashback in the following episode.Maybe that's why they were very very close...like bestest buddy+brother kind of thing.But your last question tho....I immediately thought Jimong was gay when you asked it like that:blink:

• Like 7

annyeong chingus,

I must admit, I miss this thread so much. I miss the live recaps that made me laugh like crazy in the subway or curse at my phone, every time HS did something stupid to WS. I still remember the the crazy laugh I had,  when someone wrote " WS is all suited up , Goryeo -style , he even curled his bangs and looking so fancy" or when I was reading the comments about ChaeRyoung death and then the expression" Chae ryung burrito" was invented. I was at first very sad about HS not forgiving WS but after I red that , once again, I had to LOL for a while and forget about HS-WS crisis. 

Thanks guys for the good time in this forum. This thread is filled with not only with smart and insightful comments but also with very funny ones, which made it always a delight  to read your comments. I hope I will see many of you discussing a new awesome drama soon . :wub:

• Like 22

1 hour ago, ayasdai said:

What SHR has done to me.

Screwed up my English grammar.

Every time a sentence starts with "So" I immediately think of So, but the sentence doesn't make sense and I have to reread it and order my stupid brain: It's not "So" stupid brain, it's "so".

Even if "so" is in the middle of the sentence I think it's "So".

So I do not understand English sentences anymore, So please stop messing with my brain, So I could understand English again and So I can have my So So So happy ending. Or So-Soo happy ending. So do you understand me? So no one understands me? Why So serious?

Started watching LJG old dramas, but I can barely concentrate on the plot:

"Oh here is the Wang So look"

"Here is the deep voice of Wang So, I freaking love it"

"He said Moon!! He said Moon!!"

"He is looking at the Moon! OMG!!"

"Oh... he moves and acts like Wang So!!"

"Here is the Wang So 'I will kill you' look"

"Here is the Wang So kick!"

"Here is the Wang So cry."

"Here is the Wang So gentleness."

"Oh, riding a horse... Wang So riding style... Don't kill it please. Horsey loves you."

@briseis Was about to write a similar post, but you highlighted everything I wanted to say about LJG screentime. And still, it was not enough, at least not for me... if it wasn't for him I probably would have stopped watching the drama after the 3rd episode.

hahahaha... my english was also killed with that So..

i do not watch saguek until i move on from this or i might say 'what if LJG did this role?" etc etc..

or might be seeing WS in all of his Sagueks like you ..

• Like 10

16 hours ago, moonangelcake said:

Oh yassssss, I know a lot of good fanfics~~ Apart from Escape from the Palace, there's also: (I'm not too good with summaries)

• A Little Bit of Moon Lovers by whatadaze: it's a collection of SoSoo oneshots, will definitely fulfill your shipper heart! As of this post, there's 34 one shots~~
  • A Journey to Silla by Xiao_Zhen: an AU. It starts from where Soo escapes from her marriage to King Taejo, she goes to BA's hometown, Silla, with the help of WS and BA. It's really good and definitely has SoSoo moments~~ :lol:
  • The Moon Embraces the Sun by StarDoll: it's a really interesting AU where Lady Oh saves Soo from the palace through escaping. She takes on a mother role to Soo~~
  • Moon Lovers Collection by krysyuy: Also a collection of SoSoo oneshots that are definitely worth reading~~~!!
  • let me in the walls (you've built around) by ladyfriday: An AU where HS is to be married to WS by the King's decree KYAAAAAAAAAA :w00t: (I have no idea if it;s a oneshot or not hehe)
  • But Did They Use Coins Yet by StarDoll: a oneshot where HS and WS spend time in the marketplace! Really cute and funny!
  • Unfinished Fate by Delylah: a modern day fanfic where WS is transported into the modern century!! It looks really promising :D
  • The King's Daughter by amoet: a oneshot of WS and his daughter :) Really sweet!

There's a lot of fanfics I have yet to read, but the ones above are the ones I have read (and up to date) and would highly recommend! Hope you enjoy~~

Thank you so much! I will be binging on my train ride!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, pauexclusive said:

I like everything! Specially when there are medical technical terms mentioned at the hospital scene it is so realistic and that part you described how HS is no longer used to the city life it is excellent! :D

13. Read fanfic.

Thank you! 

• Like 5

My friends, I've decided that the only way I can get over MLSHR right now is seeing Joon Gi-oppa in a new drama. I know IU is doing a cameo in KSH's new movie. It would be wonderful if a couple years down the road, they star in another drama together. They look so good together and their chemistry is through the roof. I'm kinda meh about the actress in first kiss for the sixth time, since I don't think her visuals match LJG, but I hope their chemistry is there. 

Until then, I will wait everyday behind these fences to see Joon-gi oppa again. :(

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, sosooyah19 said:

hahahaha... my english was also killed with that So..

i do not watch saguek until i move on from this or i might say 'what if LJG did this role?" etc etc..

or might be seeing WS in all of his Sagueks like you ..

LOL! Mine is anytime I hear 'Will be back" I'm always worried the Grim Reaper (Scheduler from 49 Days LOL) is around - Who is he going to take away now?? *Looks around nervously*

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

You've phrased this really well.It's exactly why,though I am OK with such an ending because it was quite logical,I think the ending was a bit weird.

Since LJK posted the recent IG photo,I've started to think that that is the 'soon' he commented about.I have to think that way to keep my sanity and refrain from checking his IG everyday.

Many people want a season 2.And I understand why.It would mean more SoSoo scenes,happier ending and maybe answer questions left behind by the first season.But I personally think season 2 isn't a good idea.My reasons are:

1.What kind of interesting plot can you possibly have in a modern setting?About a Chaebol kind of cinderella story?Been there done that.It'll be a challenge to create plot twists that keep us on the edge of our seats in every episode if season 2 is in a modern setting.

2.KDramas rarely have season 2....(I'm not quite sure why)

3....Even if they do,the cast may not be the same at all.Some people argued that Kdramas like Dream High had a season 2.No offense but I feel like slapping my head when I hear that comment.Kdramas like Dream High are not saeguk or saeguk-fusion dramas.The former depends on themes like school spirit so the drama can continue even if the main cast isn't completely the same.The latter's main story totally depends on the main cast.Not having the main cast in its season 2 will make it feel lacking because the story is supposed to continue from them and not like a certain theme.

I would prefer a special episode of cut scenes.But that would only be a dream for me.Because I can't imagine the amount of cut scenes there are.Missing ChaeRyung scenes,Missing GoHaJin scenes,Missing YeonHwa-HaeSoo scenes etc.1 episode won't be enough to cover all these scenes.So we can only depend on DVD to get a whole picture of what we were supposed to be shown.Unfortunately,there's Korea's political turmoil to think about.Plus,negotiations as to what to put in the video,by when they are distributed etc. will take time.

I don't know who to blame for MLSHR not being presented to us as the cast,crew and we,the audience,expect.I'd like to blame time.Lack of time to show the whole picture,wrong pace of shooting everything,lack of time to re-edit and pass it on to international stations etc.But such things won't happen if time was scheduled correctly and no sudden announcements were made.Correct me if I'm wrong people but I heard MLSHR is supposed to be 25/35(I forgot but this was mentioned in this thread earlier) episodes long?But then was cut short to 20?And then shooting was really rushed near the end that the whole cast and crew couldn't really sleep.Seriously,why was there a sudden reduction in the number of episodes?Obviously the director and editor would have to quickly cut out scenes resulting in the viewers' incomplete understanding of the whole picture of what is going on in Goryeo between the characters.

Sorry for the long rant but I really am interested to find out the root of the problem.Different people are blaming different people for so many scenes and information cut out of MLSHR that I feel that I simply want to know the truth.But of course,we will never know what really happened behind the scenes...

usually k-dramas do not have season two because people already suffered in season 1.. hahaha and also its is a trend that the second one was not as good as the first so usually they do not invest on it.

regarding changes in episode, someone mentioned that it might be because of the political/military issue during that time they were shooting... it was a relief that they still able to deliver the first few episodes for monitoring etc. for international release and since this is simultaneous viewing, if they have to cut it to 20 eps because that is only the allowed maximum ep. in their biggest market, they need to do that to others as well (this is my thoughts only)..

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, ldwon4 said:

When you realize that the 3rd prince Wang Yo was reincarnated into a curly haired love interest for 2ne1 XD

Realized this when my friend pointed out that "the curly one is cute! XD

Started to like him when this video came out , i said to myself omo who's that hot curly haired guy, and then he was 3rd prince, so i never hated 3rd prince and was almost sad when he died plus the eyeliner is hot on him aegooooo

• Like 5

I'm many days too late :) I'm sure, but I loved the ending :) It would be nice for So and Soo to meet again, but unless the reincarnated So remembered everything from the Goryeo dynasty and made that strong connection with Ha Jin in present day, then I think it would feel like an easy out for them to just meet with her memories alone. I also appreciate that Soo's actions were justified and not random in the penultimate episode- she had something to protect that she could give her life and love for (Her baby (telling the doctor 'As long as the baby is fine, I don't really care about myself')  and that's in contrast to the first episode where she declared emphatically that she wanted to live. Making Wang So a good king who had to make extremely difficult decisions for the sake of the well-being of the people and humanizing him was Ha Jin's reason for going back (who knows if Soo remained the real Soo she would have probably married Wook after Myung Hee died then perished in a bloody purge initiated by So?) and her newfound personality was able to accomplish all this... :) Even though it broke our respective hearts to see it play out...

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, shamael said:

I've never really been a fan girl, not girly enough I guess, but I'm a real fan girl of this fandom. I was almost squealing each time I saw that one of you was liking my posts. Thank you all for your appreciations. I've written more than I ever thought I would.

I'll try brushing a subject I am really not that comfortable with. As I've already stated I'm not very good with feelings and I don't really understand the way girls think but while reading your comments I've had some thoughts bubbling - again sorry for the lack of coherence - about HS lack of understanding toward WS and other things... so here it is...

HS is less understanding to WS BECAUSE she loves him, at least it is the way I understand it.

The more you love someone the more hurt he can give you and the more hurt you are the less understanding you are.

Strangely enough, HS’s understanding of WW’s « misgivings », for me, are the sign of her being totally over him. She’s fond of him but he can’t hurt her anymore. 

She’d rather stay blind when it comes to him and CR because she wants to keep her memories of happy times intact. The time she spent at 8th’s mansion was her happiest and most carefree. She cannot destroy that. It’s her lost paradise. Whatever happened later can be forgotten only because she could hold to those happy times when the Princes where alive and acted friendly to each other.

The rest she’d rather forget and ignore totally.

Little aside here: the writer is very good at making multi-layered characters. WW and CR were both true to HS, it is just that on there list of priority she was not absolute number one. I think it is one of the reasons CR thinks that HS can understand her. She knows that HS was true to her but she does believe that when it comes to priorities, she would not be number one… and she might be true. I don’t really understand how HS ticks but I think that at some point everything revolves around her love to WS and the ideal she’s got for them, even the way she acts toward WS. I am not sure because I really don’t understand her that well but I think everything for her revolves around her feelings for WS - not WS as a person - and the idea she has of them - untainted love, I guess -, she wants to preserve them at all cost even at the expense of WS.

I read somewhere that Love and Friendship are basically the same feeling. When it’s Love, you love more and when it’s Friendship, you love better. I think it applies pretty well to HS’s feelings. She loves her friends  better than WS. She can forgive them, understand them etc. 

She loves WS more but where there is love there is hate and each time he hurts her as he is bound to because he is not perfect and he is the only one who can really hurt her, she hates him a little more and in a way I guess she loves him more too. Their feelings are so entangled that I’m sure she doesn’t even know what she is feeling any longer. 

I think that WS has the heads up on her on that front thanks of his history with his mother and their complicated relationship. He definitely knows that love and hate coexist and hate is a component of love. He has never been able to stop loving his mother even - should I say especially - at the height of his hate. HS not so much.

The problem of HS is that she wants to live in a fairytale happy ending where everything and everyone is perfect, where she only loves, not hates, where she feels only happy and content, never hurt. She’d rather not love than be hurt. She’d rather have a dull life as long as it LOOKS happy. It is totally in character. She never goes for what’s underneath she always stays at the surface BUT she does not take into account the fact that she loves WS to a point that she has already abandoned a lot of her values for him. Being in a relationship with someone is also about what you are ready to compromise, and the more you love the more you’re willing to compromise. I’ve always had a hard time understanding people who recent others for the choices they make but it happens often enough that I can acknowledge it does exist and is a current occurrence. HS is doing it here.

Eventually she chooses to free herself from strong feelings - I understand her there - but it doesn’t work that way. Feelings remain if they have not disappeared beforehand. She only can have the illusion of peacefulness but at least she can trick herself into forgetting about hate and just remembering about love.

Until she realizes that she is tricking herself. It is interesting to see that she seems content with her new life, alone with her memories until she suddenly realizes that it is not enough. As she realizes that the opposite of love is not hate, it is just one of its component and by actually abandoning WS she did the worst sin toward their love. I don’t say here that she was not right to leave, I do believe she should have left long before even becoming the King’s woman.

There is an interesting motive about her hairpins. She stops waring WS’s hairpin when she decides to leave the palace - I know she doesn’t have it any longer but I think it is a way to say she’s letting go of him - then when WJ gives it back to her, she still doesn’t ware it at the beginning. After HS starts sending letters to WS, she does ware it again every day, apparently, which is in line with what she writes to him. She still loves him so she can not let him go, abandon him.

All the misery came from the fact that they couldn’t abandon each other but weren’t free to just love each other either - at least it is what I understand from HS’s different monologues - there were external factors working against them just being lovers.

I’m still a little bit surprised by HS’s reaction in present day, regretting and crying that she abandoned WS. Even with full knowledge of history and the whole picture, she wasn’t palace material and would have never been able to live or survive in the palace and WS being the insecure abandoned boy he was would have clung to her with dear life anyway - not speaking of the baby which needed to be delivered outside of the palace. Maybe she gives him more credit than me and thinks they could have reached an understanding if they hadn’t just thrown all the possible hurt at each other and made decisions in the worst possible instance.

Hi @shamael! I think you're right - I also think that what appears to be her lack of understanding towards WS is just her expecting and hoping for him not to stoop to the depths that the people around him were at 'The punishment is too harsh - Are you also craving the throne like everyone else, which is why you had to marry Wang Mu's daughter' -  While everyone was looking to maximize their enemies' pain or kill them, she just wanted him to take the higher road and not become mired in blood. I feel that if they had talked honestly to each like other like they did at that point and resolved their differences that way, they would not have parted with such regret as they did. At least when Soo died he knew from her letters that she loved him deeply - She must have gone feeling totally hated - but at that point like Myung Hee she felt that it was okay for her to have loved him without the feelings returned (which we know is not true):cry:

• Like 10

9 hours ago, chelleshawol said:

No youtube or dailymotion link for this?

There should be one. But I didnt know the links. 

1 hour ago, sosooyah19 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

wwwoooohhhh! thank you very much!

im still not watching the sub.. haha i think i need to hang on the happy times first...

I'm almost halfway marathon MLSHR - still at the happy part. How I wish things were different. But progress takes time. 
Soo takes time understanding So and finally loving So. So takes time realizing his love for Soo. 
Wook.. Wook is always Wook, Amazingly, he made empty promises even from Ep 4 - and would continue to do so. 
And I love it how the song Nae Saram played even in the early episode, Ep 2, the part where Soo met So in Damiwon's bathing place. It hinted out the relationship of So and Soo. 

Looking back, So's vow to his mother: "Today is the day you will remember. You threw me away, Mother. However, I will not leave. From now on, you will have to look only at me." - a vow that only come to realization during his mother's death. 
I was appalled at how cruel So has become when I watched that part. But watching this part in ep 4 makes me understand that why So act like that. So has been keeping this grudge, this love, this longing for a mother's love and recognition for so long, that he doesnt care if he takes it from his mother by force, and only in her deathbed. It finally happened, his mother finally looked at him and only him. I guess in the end, nobody understands him, not even Soo. 

Anyway.. more watching to do!

• Like 10