[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Note to Subsequent Edit:

I am eternally grateful to @liddi for bringing to my attention to the tone of my original content, which I have since changed to better attain neutrality. 

The E-Sub of HS's narration is translated based on the translator's genuine knowledge of Hangul -- which I have none. My translation is based on C-subs. And even if Hangul has many words of Chinese origin, there still exists that additional layer -- Hangul-to-E.Sub  VS  Hangul-to-C.Sub-to-My.Translation -- which means it might result in deviation from HS's original narration. 

My goal is to share additional / different perspective to HS's letter -- NOT meant to undermine or override the original E-Sub. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

@tinniet  Turns out I really didn’t change too much of the Chinese Sub in order to translate it into English. I’ve also included “Additional Explanations” to show where the slight changes occurs.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Eng-Sub 2:

My Comments:

… and leave quietly with no trace - Not found in HS’s letter -- maybe it’s implied

… rest in peace - Long-live the King (even if I know he's lonely).

… leaving - “leaving” isn’t the word HS used in her letter; so maybe it's in her narration

… inside these fences - not sure about this -- cannot be found in both versions of Chi-Subs & HS’s letter; again it's probably in HS's narration

Chinese Sub Translation (Versions): 

HS-Orange:

Additional Explanations To Chinese Subs:

* Right or wrong,  Love or hate

~  Compared to “right and wrong, love and hate” -- it sounds weird so I changed my interpretation

* When you risk everything to stand by my side in the pouring rain

~  HS did write “give up everything”, but I feel “risk everything” is more appropriate since WS did risk punishment, even death to defy King Taejo

~  Is it “pouring rain” (Chi-Sub) or just rain (Eng-Sub), I’ll let you decide

* When you shielded me from the flagrant arrow

~  “protecting (HS) with his body from the flying arrow” isn’t a wrong translation, I just feel it's long-winded -- again you decide

~  I prefer to use “flagrant” instead b’cos it is obvious that both HS & WS know King Yo purposely aimed the arrow at HS

* The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s to forsake

~  I had previously used “abandon” -- it isn’t wrong but I feel "forsake" is closer to meaning of “to give up”

~  All those E-subs that says “to throw someone away” should perhaps be “to give up someone” (but then I'm just being picky) ... of which both King Taejo & WS have to do

* Me & You, You & I … I very much fear that we will give up on each other

~  Strangely, it was this that made me realize there are 2 edited versions of HS’s letter. I definitely feel the SBS-version as a better flow -- if only they didn’t leave out this next sentence....

* The heartlessness of a person so full of love leaves me drained

~  This is actually in HS’s letter -- I’m not sure why SBS would edit it out.

~  You can use “exhausted” instead of “drained”, but I prefer the latter.  On a deeper level, she is actually exhausted psychologically speaking -- i.e. heartsick

~  Prior to this last letter, HS has written many to WS which he promptly throws aside into a pile.  As a result she never receives any reply. Perhaps that's why she feels WS has turned heartless.

~  To me, this sentence is especially sad when HS knows that WS really is a very loving person

Perhaps more poignant to me is that both sentences “Me & You …” AND “The heartlessness …” would appear in her last letter.  

In the end:  One dies with regret, the other lives with regret :(

So there you have it, thanks for your patience @tinniet  & hope this satisfies your curiosity. 

Once again, only keep whichever word / sentence / paragraph from any versions (E-Subs / C-Subs) that makes your heart sing.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, ilovecoffeeandbooks said:

Thank you everyone for taking the time! even if it doesn't work,  it's better than just complaining and hoping! let's take action!! who knows! Even Wang So was rejected like  a million times before he got the girl!

Yes, i do agree with you chingu. Count me in.  Sending them individually  is much better.  Can we do this ASAP?

We will spread the words by social media regarding the post card so that MLSHR shippers can participate to our  mission.

How about we will send our post card on the same day or week so it will arrive to them like a pouring rain. 

Just tell me when chingus.  I will ready my post card today.  I am planning to screen shot this thread and attach it in my post card so that they will see that this thread is still alive and kicking even MLSHR has ended almost a month now. 

And oh, please do give me again the address of SBS. This thread have many pages and I don't remember what page it was posted here.  Thank you chingus. 

We can do this!  ECLIPSES CHINGUS AJA! FIGHTING! MANSE! MANSE MLSHR!

• Like 5

'Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2' is unlikely while drama special remains unconfirmed

• Spoiler

South Korean actor Lee Joon Gi arrives for the 43rd annual 'Paek Sang Art Awards' at the National theater April 25, 2007 in Seoul, South Korea.

South Korean actor Lee Joon Gi arrives for the 43rd annual 'Paek Sang Art Awards' at the National theater April 25, 2007 in Seoul, South Korea. (Photo : Getty Images/Chung Sung-Jun)

Followers of the newly-concluded South Korean series "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" have been hoping for a sequel or Season 2. However, there is little information if SBS will hear the clamor and the rumored special about the drama is still vague.

Fans of Lee Joon Gi's recent drama aired from Aug. 29 to Nov. 1 were so carried away with the story that they could not accept it has ended and hope for a sequel instead. The SBS series gained large following across the globe in a short time.

Like Us on Facebook

Based on the Chinese novel by Tong Hua titled "Bu Bu Xing," the series tells the story of a young woman who accidentally went on a time travel to ancient times and found herself falling in love with a prince in the Goryeo Dynasty. The series hit 2 billion views on Youku Chinese streaming site. Grateful of the massive views, Lee held a fan meet to watch the drama's finale with the fans.

It is not typical for Korean dramas to have multiple seasons despite pleas from fans. Previous popular dramas like "The Heirs" in 2013 starring Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye, as well as this year's "Descendants of the Sun" starring Song Jong Ki and Song Hye Kyo had been asked by fans for a sequel but nothing happened.

The petition which is led by an Italian fan for the sequel of "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" has reached 48,203 and will soon come up with 50,000. The fans will then submit it to SBS.

The production team of "Moon Lovers" was said to plan to air some specials with an alternate ending, alongside interesting behind-the-scenes and deleted scenes, Gack Hollywood reported. Lee Ji-Eun aka IU was said teasing some unaired or deleted scenes which triggered speculations that it will be in the drama special.

In the alternate ending, IU's character and that of Lee will meet again in the modern times, according to Mobile & Apps. Aside from that, there is scarcity of information regarding the drama special and no one has confirmed it yet. However, fans keep their fingers crossed that it will happen.

http://en.yibada.com/articles/175221/20161124/moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-ryeo-lee-joon-gi-iu.htm

i feel so sad reading this article...

• Like 6

Will 'Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo' Season 2 happen? Here's what Lee Joon-Gi has to say

It seems like "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" Season 2 will remain as a dream for many fans. It is said that the lead stars Lee Joon Gi and Lee Ji-Eun (IU) have already hinted at the end of the show.

Joon-Gi, who portrayed 4th Prince Wang So, confirmed the end of their journey while expressing gratitude to his fans for their love and support. The Hallyu star hinted that there will be no more episodes for the historical drama.

Like Us on Facebook

"Please don't be too upset that our drama has ended," Joon-Gi said, as cited by Gack Hollywood. "I will meet you through another great production."

Ji-Eun, who played the time-traveling heroine Go Ha-Jin / Hae Soo, stated that the historical drama has reached its conclusion and will not return to the television screen. She added that she find it hard to believe that the SBS drama is now over, stressing that she feel extremely sad about it.

The sad news comes in despite fans and viewers' efforts to renew "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" through various petitions online. Recently, avid fans set up an online petition with the aim of collecting at least 75,000 supporters. It will reportedly be sent to SBS' President/Co-Rep Director Lee Woong-Mo.

While many fans' wishes for "Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo" Season 2, others are yearning for a special episode that will give a closure to Wang So-Hae Soo's relationship. It can be recalled that the SBS drama ended with Hae-Soo's soul coming back to her incarnation in the 21st century.

While struggling to get over the trauma of her experiences, Go Ha-Jin passed by a gallery of Goryeo Dynasty-era paintings. She then understood that everything was not a dream and felt sorry for leaving King Gwangjong behind.

Meanwhile, in the Goryeo Era, Wang So promised that if they are not from the same world, then he will surely find the heroine. With this, many believed Wang So and Hae Soo's romantic tale is far from over.

It intensified when Joon-Gi hints at an extra episode during his "My Love Lee Joon-Gi" meet-and-greet event. Speaking before a predominantly Korean crowd, as translated by a Tumblr user, the Hallyu star revealed King Gwangjong will meet Hae-Soo, but stressed that he does not know when will it be released.

"At any rate, I won't spoil you," he said. "I do believe that Gwangjong's true feelings for Soo were delivered to her. I guess this is what you call an open ending?"

http://en.yibada.com/articles/175230/20161124/iu-lee-joon-gi-moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-ryeo-season-2.htm

i'm not upset just sad...i don't like open endings...

• Like 10

On ‎24‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 1:03 AM, nightwitch said:

You're beautiful - done!

Stand now: MLSHR 1485 voices already! Plus 202!

Winter Sonata: 1788

Full House: 2229

Playful Kiss: 4360

DOTS: 9383 voices. Plus 123!

We need more voices! You can vote once a day per each device and per each browser. Remember: DOTS-Fans don't sleep!

Stand now: MLSHR 1635 voices already! Today plus just 150! We need more, chingu! :heart:

Winter Sonata: 1799

Full House: 2264

Playful Kiss: 4360

DOTS: 9508 voices. Plus 125!

You can vote once a day per each device and per each browser. Remember: DOTS-Fans don't sleep! They are fast and they have 10 month handicap.

• Like 5

@misspiggie Thank you for the analysis of the subbed versions of the letter. I personally tried to read the text of Hae Soo's letter, but the writing was so amateurish and made little sense for the most part, that I finally gave up. Back to your sub analysis. Were you basing it on the original Korean voiceover, or C-subs? Apart from the first 3 lines which were from Dramafever subs, the translation of the letter from SBS subs that you disapprove of was courtesy of @ruizaio so perhaps you can confirm with her how much of the C-subs you refer to are accurate to the original text.

Please remember that the reediting and translation of differences in subs were done within hours of international English subs being available, so perhaps it may not be as elegant as you hope or expect. I appreciate you bringing a different interpretation based on alternate translations, and improve on the translations, but I hope you will refrain from tearing down the hard work and generosity of those who have done their best to translate the drama for the fans here within such a short period of time. Please accept my apologies if I offended you as that is not my intent. 

• Like 5

@misspiggie How should I thank you for such a very detailed explanation? You even made the column for comparison between the 2 versions, I'm amazed. Thank you so much.

Yes, that "heartlessness of a person so full of love" is very sad. It confirms my thought that even till the very end, with the way GJ punished CR, Jung, and Wook leaving her broken (and making her did hate on him, maybe), she still believed that he was actually and still that loving person she had known all along, and we know he indeed was. How tragic that the man who had been misunderstood for his whole life ended up being misunderstood by the only person who once understood him. Having no more chance to explain, he definitely lived the rest of his life with regret. I always feel like the writer had no mercy in torturing this character; he is like the most tragic character in Kdrama I've ever known and sadly I've been bound to this rollercoaster ride with him.

One more thing I'm curious about is GJ's words about Soo leaving after JM said he shouldn't have sent her away like that. The engsub is "I don't abandon her. Soo abandoned me." Is "abandon" the correct word here? Or like on the letter, it should be "give up" or forsake" instead? Thanks a lot.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, liddi said:

@misspiggie Thank you for the analysis of the subbed versions of the letter. I personally tried to read the text of Hae Soo's letter, but the writing was so amateurish and made little sense for the most part, that I finally gave up. Back to your sub analysis. Were you basing it on the original Korean voiceover, or C-subs? Apart from the first 3 lines which were from Dramafever subs, the translation of the letter from SBS subs that you disapprove of was courtesy of @ruizaio so perhaps you can confirm with her how much of the C-subs you refer to are accurate to the original text.

Please remember that the reediting and translation of differences in subs were done within hours of international English subs being available, so perhaps it may not be as elegant as you hope or expect. I appreciate you bringing a different interpretation based on alternate translations, and improve on the translations, but I hope you will refrain from tearing down the hard work and generosity of those who have done their best to translate the drama for the fans here within such a short period of time. Please accept my apologies if I offended you as that is not my intent. 

You need not apologize as you bring up a good point regarding the above the yellow highlight portion. 

I will apologize upfront if they were really the hard work of @ruizaio or whoever else, especially if they were translated under time constraint. 

However, I am pretty sure I have seen those same words in the English Subs attached to the episodes I watched -- SBS version.

I will concede that perhaps I was too brash, even sound conceited, when pointing out the two translations I really have a hard time with.  

The reason why I seem so upset was because I feel it does not do justice to HS's appeal to WS.

Still, thanks for pointing it out, I will make sure to be more considerate next time. 

The translations were based on C-subs, looking at HS's letter and listening to HS's narration in Korean.  As previously explained to @tinniet I don't know much of the Korean language but I can pick out some words (too much Kdrama in different periods of my life as I will binge ... stop ... binge-watch again).

Her written words were decipherable -- compared to King Yo's, but then again he wrote his decree in haste.  They were an old style of Chinese writing and I had to read with some effort too. In the same respect, English from 1,000 years ago were probably written differently also. 

If the C-Subs are correct, then her narration is simply an elaboration of what she wrote in her letter. 

Again, thanks for expressing your concern -- otherwise, I wouldn't have seen it from a different point of view :)

• Like 7

@misspiggie Thank you for not taking offence. The SBS version subs, if not from DSS, would have originated here - which I resynced and edited starting from Ep 6 onwards, incorporating fan translations from fellow Soompiers (predominantly ruizaio's, as well as thanks to  AuroraSky, wordsmyth0253 etc) and other sources such as 4seasonswithIU at twitter. And yes, the one you were upset with are based on ruizaio's translations, incorporated against international subs.

Actually, I wasn't saying that I could not read Soo's letter - Hae Soo's writing was definitely not as bad as Yo's decree, but still amateurish despite being legible, and the phrasing awkward (not sure whether it is deliberate, or just lack of understanding of proper Chinese/Hanja on the part of the production team). I had a good laugh when Soo praised So's penmanship with the poem in an earlier episode, because that too, to me was not really up to par. To be honest, the most beautiful writing in this drama still belongs to Wook's - truly elegant. However, back to the content of the letter and the translations. To be honest - I always find English to be sorely lacking in translating the nuances and depth of the Chinese prose. Take for example Ruoxi's letter and the English subs I have seen of it, somehow something gets lost in translation, and wave of emotions, pain, ache that I feel from the original Chinese, is watered down with the English subs. As such, I really have to wonder just how much we as non-Korean speakers lose, not understanding the nuances from the original Korean voiceover... and I truly envy those who understand the language for being able to enjoy that added layer of intensity and feelings the script conveys. However, I will always be utterly grateful that we at least get to understand what is being said thanks to the tireless and kind efforts of subbers and fan translators, English or Chinese. On my part, I went back to rewatch the SBS version C-subbed a few weeks back, and found additional depth in certain dialogues, but slight discrepancies in others based on SBS additional scenes (in which case I usually defer to the English, because for some, I know that the C-subs came from the international, while the actual dialogue that I did catch during my edits were different in the SBS version, and I had asked our wonderful Soompiers to translate the difference). Either way... am utterly grateful to all who took their time to provide the subs and translations, and added interpretations/translations, even today :) 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, redlion said:

how come Go Ha Jin can mentally survived in Goryeo era.... there no phone no internet connection :sweatingbullets::P

me... cant access my soompi account :frown::confused: :fearful: :cold_sweat::cry::expressionless: (hhhhhhhh emoji style)

She survived just fine because she wasn't on Soompi hopelessly hooked to a drama about a girl who ended up going back in time and encountering the love of her life, one that transcends time and space :P 

• Like 13

11 hours ago, antiherofans said:

I finally manage to login after 2 days 

I have to use chrome, clear all catche and finally able to login 

Hi chingus, I finally managed to login after 3 days. I followed the instructions above but it works on my mobile - IE browser.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, redlion said:

how come Go Ha Jin can mentally survived in Goryeo era.... there no phone no internet connection :sweatingbullets::P

me... cant access my soompi account :frown::confused: :fearful: :cold_sweat::cry::expressionless: (hhhhhhhh emoji style)

she survived because she has Wang So. Wang So is her World.   :lol:

• Like 11

This is what has happened to me yesterday!

Cousin : what drama are you watching now?

Me : i don't intend to watch drama for the time being so i watch variety show.

Cousin : why?????

Me : JooGi oppa still in my heart, i can't betray him.

Cousin : (stare at me :huh:)  you crazy!!!

Me : laugh like insane girl:grin:

• Like 11

@liddi  Considering my own faux pas, I'm willing to forgive HS's inadequate Chinese.  I'm sure given the same amount of time to learn Hangul, HS's Chinese would be amateurish but my Hangul would be baby-talk ! 

Just as well they would give Wook the best calligraphy -- he is afterall "温文儒雅" (such a gentleman), the only character (I feel) in MLSHR that matches his counterpart in C-BBJX.

Thanks again for pointing out my mistake and I do sincerely apologize to @ruizaio and others for my insensitivity. 

I do recognize, if not anything else, that translating takes time & effort, and what the translators did are base on goodwill for the benefit of all to enjoy Kdrama. 

I mull over whether to change my original positing related to our discussion since they were my mistakes & I should not attempt to hide them. Eventually I did make changes because I decided that in case readers missed our discussion, they would not form a bad impression of the translators base on my posting alone. If @liddi you see anything else that needs further improvement to keep the tone neutral, please don't hesitate to let me know. If I'm ever confronted base on the original content of my posting, I will gladly fess up to my mistakes. 

3 hours ago, tinniet said:

One more thing I'm curious about is GJ's words about Soo leaving after JM said he shouldn't have sent her away like that. The engsub is "I don't abandon her. Soo abandoned me." Is "abandon" the correct word here? Or like on the letter, it should be "give up" or forsake" instead? Thanks a lot.

One C-sub says "give up", the other says "abandon". The word GJ uses "버리(다)" seems to mean abandon. 

Apparently, HS also used the word "버리(다)" in this sentence:  "I very much fear that we will give up (abandon) each other" -- I followed the C-sub which uses the Chinese word meaning "give up".

I guess it depends on the translator and the difference is probably subtle. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer. 

• Like 8

@misspiggie @liddi

At least for me, I hardly put any effort into those translations, and that's why they suck. I will admit that. I was just doing them on the fly without even transcribing the Korean first, and often remembered later on that I skipped something. Sorry about that. It wasn't like I was getting paid for them or anything.

I remember not liking the phrase "rest in peace" for "편히 쉬다" part either, but that was a literal translation (I suppose "rest in comfort" would have been closer) and the original sounded weird in Korean anyway, so I just left it there. I didn't think to use "be at peace," which would have gotten rid of the condolence-sounding problem, but the main verb was to "rest." I guess I should have just left out "peace" altogether now at hindsight.

With regard to the verb "버리다," I had chosen "to leave," which I now realize leaves out a lot. This particular verb was used repeatedly in several episodes, and if I was the official translator for subs, I would have kept the wording consistent, but since I was only filling in spots that were only in the SBS version without knowing what was used in DramaFever or other major Eng subs (I sometimes watched the DF version later on but tried to ignore the subs because the amount of inaccuracies bothered me too much), I just chose whatever made sense at the time. The Korean word means to throw away or to discard. Abandoning or forsaking are similar, but I don't like those words either. It's more like giving up or cutting ties. 

The Korean writing itself is really bad. In fact, a few days ago, Korean fans on DC were naming favorite lines and unfavorite lines, and the favorite lines were very sparse while the unpopular lines were... just everywhere. Sometimes the word order isn't quite right so that they can mean something else other than what's intended, sometimes the word choices are so extreme that the characters seem inconsistent, some word choices just weren't appropriate at all, etc. With the current political fiasco in South Korea, the joke is that the puppetmistress appointed the director and writer to do this project. 

Some of the lines in the SBS version were re-recorded later on, so what is in the international version tends to be what was in the original script. While Korean fans usually like the changed lines in the SBS version better, that's not necessarily always the case. It's really the actors who gave life to these characters. Each of them studied hard for their roles, coming up with their own backstories and rationale for their actions, etc. For example, Kang Hanna asked the writer about Princess Yeon Hwa because she couldn't get the whole picture of her character from just the scripts, and was told that YH and WS had spent some time together when they were little. Based on that little tidbit, Kang decided that YH had feelings for WS from early on, but had suppressed those feelings as WS didn't seem likely to succeed the throne. In the case of Yoon Sun Woo (Wang Won), like 80% of his lines were improvised by him because the script didn't give him much. We are even thankful for some of Wang So's skipped lines that were in the script because... even with the superb performance of LJG, those lines couldn't be redeemed.  

So yeah, the subs were often inaccurate, but the original writing in Korean was flawed, too.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ruizaio said:

The Korean writing itself is really bad. In fact, a few days ago, Korean fans on DC were naming favorite lines and unfavorite lines, and the favorite lines were very sparse while the unpopular lines were... just everywhere. Sometimes the word order isn't quite right so that they can mean something else other than what's intended, sometimes the word choices are so extreme that the characters seem inconsistent, some word choices just weren't appropriate at all, etc. With the current political fiasco in South Korea, the joke is that the puppetmistress appointed the director and writer to do this project. 

Some of the lines in the SBS version were re-recorded later on, so what is in the international version tends to be what was in the original script. While Korean fans usually like the changed lines in the SBS version better, that's not necessarily always the case. It's really the actors who gave life to these characters. Each of them studied hard for their roles, coming up with their own backstories and rationale for their actions, etc. For example, Kang Hanna asked the writer about Princess Yeon Hwa because she couldn't get the whole picture of her character from just the scripts, and was told that YH and WS had spent some time together when they were little. Based on that little tidbit, Kang decided that YH had feelings for WS from early on, but had suppressed those feelings as WS didn't seem likely to succeed the throne. In the case of Yoon Sun Woo (Wang Won), like 80% of his lines were improvised by him because the script didn't give him much. We are even thankful for some of Wang So's skipped lines that were in the script because... even with the superb performance of LJG, those lines couldn't be redeemed.  

So yeah, the subs were often inaccurate, but the original writing in Korean was flawed, too.

The truth is I would rather hear back stories related the development of the characters / script than pursue a special episode or sequel. I'm not usually a BTS kind of person but insights like these are usually more interesting, especially the evolution of characters/story inside the script-writer's head. 

Now I can understand why those related to the production would want to move on --- FAST!  When your show is being poked fun at whether related to the political situation or by fans / non-fans alike online, it cannot be amusing for those involved (not that good shows doesn't get ripped sometimes.)  That's perhaps why the PD or actors are ignoring calls for any follow-up -- this show it seems, is done.  Dare I even say that there's some embarrassment with involvement? -- but that would be too harsh.

You can say success outside of SK is perhaps unintended consequences. We are blessed by our ignorance of Hangul, otherwise we might actually feel the same way as most SK viewers. 

I am seriously curious what those WS skipped lines are that are so irredeemable even with LJG. But then it would probably be lost on me since I don't understand Hangul much. 

Thanks for your explanation @ruizaio.  I will make peace with what I have AND cannot have -- not that I haven't already.

PS: If my comment seem a bit harsh, I do apologize. But I am, if not anything else, very realistic.

• Like 5