Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

Guest minksquared

Hi @nevill here’s a warm welcome to you! :) I hope you join us all in here for a long time! Please don’t feel sorry, your intention was good and now that we’re all well informed, let’s move on!

@sia3 thanks for pulling up the screenshot. I think it’s a good reminder to all. As to your question, I’m very sure we can! We’re all rational fans here and we’re in here for JCW. Like @renaoh mentioned, she's here to feel happy...this is our happy place :wub:

Edited by minksquared

I believe people should be free to express their opinions:  negative and positive about any form of art or entertainment.  That’s where discussions stem from.  How boring would it be if everyone was like:  I like it.  Me too…It’s great.  How about you?  Me too…Spazz…Can’t fans be objective?  It is not meant to put JCW down.  They’re just expressing a thought.  Critiquing someone’s work/performance is not a personal attack towards them.  

At first, I was also taken aback by comments from long-time fans.  Some dropped the drama after the first episode.  I couldn’t believe they didn’t even give it a chance.  Most watched it to the end, but it did not resonate with them as it did with so many others, and they were wondering what do they see that we don’t?  It all comes down to the person.  But I give those fans credit because it shows they don’t just have stars in their eyes.  It makes me respect their opinion so much more.  So, I really hope they don’t feel alienated and understand that their opinion is always welcomed. 

Also, I understand what Cherkell is saying about moving on.  JCW is not a particular drama or a character in that drama.  He is a very dedicated actor who gives his all to all his projects, and in order for him to do that, he HAS to move on from Healer, and become the next character (Kwon Yoo, Fabricated City).  That doesn’t mean Healer won’t have special meaning to him in the years to come, I’m sure all his projects do in different ways, but once they’re over, they’re over. 

I personally have waited a long time for others to see what I’ve known all along.  Through EK and Healer JCW finally got the recognition he deserved…critical acclaim from the former and greater popularity from the latter.  The sky is the limit for him, now.  

• Like 11

@tehlimau @reemkanabta i think the expectation on Healer was it would rake stellar ratings considering that the drama was penned by Song Ji Na and was a comeback drama for Yoo Ji Tae but nonetheless it still did decent (still among the top 20 dramas).  Rather than say Healer is overrated, overhyped or did not do well in the ratings game, shouldn't fans look at the outcome of Healer and what it has done to Ji Chang Wook's career and celebrate all the good things happening to him?  And oh, he just became Hallyu recently ... I can't reconcile that thought of calling yourself a fan and yet putting down one of the dramas Ji Chang Wook holds close to his heart.  Why can't fans happily follow his career without much issues and drama?  

Because sadly, that's the nature of Hallyu Stardom these days -- the netizens think that if your drama does not garner a +20% AGB Nielsen rating throughout its run, then it's not a "success."  Even Wook said himself in several interviews that he was hoping the ratings would have been a little better than what they actually turned out to be.  And as we all know by now, the Korean Drama Rating System needs to be blown up and totally revamped to take into consideration how viewers are watching these shows on various mobile devices nowadays.  Granted, I'll long be dust in the wind before that ever happens; change-for-the-good is not a common practice in Korea when it comes to their entertainment output. (I'm looking at you SBS, and your threatened cancellation of still-popular "Star King" because the network thinks "no one is watching because of the dismal ratings."  *grrrrr*)

Actually Wook has been on the Hallyu Radar for quite a few years now, so it puzzles me to see reports that he's this "New Hallyu Star."  Yes, a lot of his newer followers are due to the popularity of "Healer," but he's already had a large fanbase in Japan and China so I don't understand why those news reports keep saying he's some sort of newbie.  It's also nice to see a ton more coverage regarding his overseas activities, but then I will read a blog post or other report that Wook's fans are worried about any potential over-exposure with all these upcoming non-drama events scheduled for China and elsewhere.  And there are fans that say he should concentrate more of his activities in Korea before venturing into other countries.  Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

So here's a discussion point:  I've been in this game for quite awhile now, and I believe you can still call yourself a "fan" after analyzing and criticizing an actor's work.  One would have to live in a bubble while totally accepting every project your bias stars in as OH MY GOD IT'S SO GREAT... and then put your hands over your ears and not listen to someone else's point of view?  Constructive criticism and meaningful discourse is always part of an actor's millieu -- Wook constantly requests feedback well before his dramas begin filming and keeps asking and discussing and making changes until the bitter end.  You may be in the minority, but if you think a drama is overrated, then why get blasted for your thoughts?  Why can't we as "fans" also discuss the highs and lows and request the same standards from our actors and productions without being called out as "anti-fans" just because we're not in lock-step with the majority?

You all know I will crawl through fire for this boy, but I've witnessed several cringe-worthy moments in many of his past dramas.  (Even in "Healer," there were several WTF? moments that I believed were needlessly inserted into the script merely for the sake of fan service alone, and said so accordingly.)  Does that make me less of a "fan" by stating my opinions about these shortcomings/issues in a reasonable fashion?  "Criticism" does not equal "putdown."  Everyone in the world may not agree with your drama opinions, but I find it appalling to then get called every name in the book since my opinion is "not worthy" just because I gave my personal reasons why I didn't think a drama was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

"Healer" is just a fond memory in my world now, and I've moved on.  Wook has also purged himself of the character and moved on to his next project.  All in all, it seems his "sudden" stardom will always be a double-edged sword.  *le sigh*

Since things are quiet until the Sohu interview comes online, here's another discussion point:  Whether you believed the show was over-hyped or flew under the radar, which one of Wook's dramas did you feel never quite met your expectations?

Hi cherkell, ye, 20% is really a HIT! Here's Korea rating board chart -

below 5% = disaster
5% – 10% = poor, disappointing, or mania
10% – 15% = safe
15% – 20% = strong
20% – 30% = a hit
30% – 40% = phenomenal
40% and up = national drama

• In cable dramas, 1% of viewer’s ratings are a standard win.:P

• Like 7

Guest FleurdeLys101

6 Times K-Drama Actors Unabashedly Adored Their Co-Stars

2. Ji Chang Wook and Ha Ji Won- “I am her manager.”

Not only did they work on “Empress Ki” together, but they were also endorsement partners for outdoor brand North Cape. In an interview during a photoshoot for the brand, Ji Chang Wook describes how he just finds himself taking care of her, like he is her manager.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

So this embargo on shippy contents is true for one ship and untrue for another? (Mods, I quoted this post to prove a point) This can be found in this thread too. I choose to turn a blind eye when I first saw this, because hey, live and let live. I will not let my feathers get ruffled over nothing, after all it is Wookie related.

That is why I cannot blame Wooks fans who ship him with PMY, myself included, to WTH when that Dramafever article was marked as inappropriate. I mean come on, an article a few pages back features him with his former co-star in a shippy tone and everyone carries on like it’s the most normal thing as Wooks flashing a V sign. Meanwhile an article containing PMY comes along and all hell broke loose. Geez.

I am on ebullient’s side. If you don’t like it, flag it and then hope to high heavens that there is four more like you, then Alas! Post hidden.

@nploan : I'm happy to "meet" him again through the picture :wub:. Thanks!

Blame on our boy who hasn't updated recently, but this thread is still my basecamp everyday. So I'm enjoy the feeling like "be at home" although we have no news.

I know Wookie's busy filming and it's all okay.

Edited by yumiko_hitoshi
  • Like 6

@nploan : I'm happy to "meet" him again through the picture :wub:. Thanks!

Blame on our boy who hasn't updated recently, but this thread is still my basecamp everyday. So I'm enjoy the feeling like "be at home" although we have no news.

I know Wookie's busy filming and it's all okay.

Hi, ye, I know & also read that he started filming his upcoming movie already. I wonder why few news & I hardly read anything about it up to now. I hope the movie will start gaining momentum now that the filming has begun. :P

• Like 6

@willenette

Just my simple thought that it seems like they don’t update often when filming a movie, not like a drama project.

Keep it “Not spoiling” too much until they officially promote it. So we'll ran to the cinema right away when the movie'll be shown, right. :D

I’m not familiar with the process so I also don’t know exactly. Some friends here can give us more explanation technically with their better understanding.

• Like 3

@willenette

Just my simple thought that it seems like they don’t update often when filming a movie, not like a drama project.

Keep it “Not spoiling” too much until they officially promote it. So we'll ran to the cinema right away when the movie'll be shown, right. :D

I’m not familiar with the process so I also don’t know exactly. Some friends here can give us more explanation technically with their better understanding.

*** It really depends on the production team if they want to release some stills from their production, be it a drama or a movie. I guess it's just too early as of now - :P

• Like 4

Hello Ji Chang Wook fans,

The mods and I have backtracked to the post in question that has revived an old issue regarding what is acceptable or unacceptable in this thread. It was an unanimous agreement that nevill's posting of the DramaFever article was shared with the intention to simply contribute news relevant to Ji Chang Wook and was not meant for spazzing and/or shipping purposes. As such, her post IS acceptable in this thread.

What would have been unacceptable, for example, is if her post contained her own spazzing/shipping thoughts related to the pairing as that would be more appropriate for a shipper's thread.

Additionally, there is no favoritism shown by the mods for one shipper over another and that kind of behavior should never be found here on Soompi. The aforementioned post regarding Ji Chang Wook and Ha Ji Won was also acceptable because it was posted as relevant Ji Chang Wook news and not meant to start a spazz fest.

With that being said, I will, once again, re-post the screenshot of my previous explanation regarding approved content in Ji Chang Wook thread (thank you, sia3, for saving it!)

iOas1UY.png

If there are any additional questions, please feel free to ask. Let's remember to keep things civil at all times. Not everyone will see eye-to-eye on things, but being respectful towards each other is common courtesy.

• Like 12

So this embargo on shippy contents is true for one ship and untrue for another? (Mods, I quoted this post to prove a point) This can be found in this thread too. I choose to turn a blind eye when I first saw this, because hey, live and let live. I will not let my feathers get ruffled over nothing, after all it is Wookie related.

I must apologise, but don't remember seeing this post at all -- I was in trial preparations most of July and all my social media contact was limited.  But given its contents, it was a repeat of a post already posted in its entirety (as it was in here back when first released by MBC), then it would meet the criteria for a newsworthy post and be allowed.  (Although I question its relevancy since "Empress Ki" ended so long ago -- was it such a slow news day that required such an item?  hehe)

We don't play favourites in here; to infer so would be dead wrong.  Granted, I cannot be monitoring the thread 24/7 and mostly rely on others to PM me if they saw a questionable item pop up in here.  I did not receive a single PM about @willenette's posting; the only reason I called out the DF post was because two readers PMd me and asked if it should be allowed.  After reading the contents, I believe it should have been more worthy of the concurrent Shipping Thread and still believe that today.

But it's a good thing having the separate threads for Wook's dramas and his movies and the shippers -- it's a win-win for everyone while also serving as a time-saver and thereby preventing "mission creep" over having to post the same information three times across various threads.

Let's put this whole debacle to rest now.  As always, if you think that any questionable content has been posted, PM me or one of the Mods ASAP so we can make a judgment call as to said posting.  And pretty please... everyone stay current on the Soompi Rules.  Thanks to "Empress Ki" and "Healer," we're fortunate so have many new voices join us in here.

Wookie's smiling... let's smile along with him!  :wub:

357b85e5-d7bf-4297-8fb0-f644a066a2b7_zps

• Like 6

If there are ever any doubts or concerns regarding whether or not a post is acceptable, please do not hesitate to contact one of the assigned moderators in the actors & actresses section. Another option would be to report the post and allow the moderators to determine if the content is in the correct thread. All reports and inquiries are taken seriously and carefully considered before being handled in an unbiased manner.

Again, nevill's post of the DramaFever article IS acceptable here.

• Like 14

@akinahana89 thank you for stepping in to clarify the rules again, because sometimes it gets too difficult to spazz over Wookie deliriously when there are too many rules to mind in place, and I have to think what to say/not to say, and by then, my drool has dried up. Thank you @cherkell for the clarification that this thread doesn't show favouritism to ships, or Wookie projects, because at times it seems like being marked as a Healer fan is somehow akin to being crazed and unreasonable, this being the feeling that I get from certain sectors with the drama's unexpected international popularity.

I will forever be thankful to Healer for introducing me to Wookie - I live-watched Healer, bought EK DVDs and watched both dramas at the same time - that's the level of my Wookie love. I have backtracked to his older shows, some I like better than others, and liking the actor doesn't blind me to the drama's faults. For example, how much do I hate the BVS story, and some of the acting from the cast? But should BVS be popular against my views, I still won't say it is overrated, but feel happy that his show succeeded because I am a fan. There are lots of room for constructive criticism which will help him grow as an actor, but we can do that without coming across as snarky and bitter. 

Nevertheless, isn't it great that this thread is hopping and alive again, as befitting Wookie, our beloved Hallyu star? Time to do some catch up with the other guys.

edit: Wookie is laughing! Major love.

Edited by tehlimau
  • Like 14

He obviously heard our plaintive cries for some news!  :)

MOD EDIT: DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES, GIFS, VIDEOS!

cherkell, the picture obviously applies to like what you said "cry for news" -  But, I don't think the silence here is deafening, I can see the thread is moving up & down despite of no news about him right now. I guess many of you here just wonder how he is since this is a bit unusual for all of you. I guess as long as you continue supporting him there's really nothing to worry about.....:PBTW, I tried to delete the image above but can't, sorry - I hope MOD could spare me on this.:D

• Like 4

Guest minksquared

Oof..this thread lol. 

I'm happy he posted today. Its been 2weeks..TWO WEEKS since his last update. I'm so happy. Yes,I'm counting.  Yes,I miss him. Don't judge me :lol:

Hi @sia3 *waves*

Sharing your joy here! When I saw it pop up on my IG i went "YES!!". The little things I get excited over these days...:rolleyes: you actually counted!?! hahaha No judging, good to know you're keeping tab :P

@cherkell he definitely must have heard our cries!