Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

1 hour ago, nadster said:

hanging about in Seoul for a month hoping to catch sight of him, preferably in a coffee shop so I can finally buy him that damned cup of coffee and have a nice chat once and for bloody all. And I find myself actually thinking that it would be perfectly ok to wait for him at an airport screaming his name - what is happening to me?!

You are gonna hate me for this......really.  It's OK.  I can take it.   But can you?  Here is this really cheesy, corny old song but it is so true, or tru-ish for the immediate moment right now.   Is it HIM?  Or what he represents?  Does it matter.....well, possibly.  We'll talk more, later.  Meanwhile, decompress on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6yqAw0MJng  Just for you @nadster

• LOL 1

Oh, @MyStars, bless you (not "bless your heart" you know what I mean) - thanks for siccing Irving Berlin on a poor defenseless woman. It could be worse, it could be the Gershwins, then I'd be sunk.

Let's play it safe (on my sanity) and say I am attracted to him in the abstract because I don't know him and he most definitely won't ever know me in this lifetime :lol:. Although I like the fact that you think we can just ask him personal questions like "why the Third Infantry" like we were friends. What do the kids say these days - "Delulu"? Well, "de-real" is a bit depressing these days, so delulu on, I say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nadster said:

Oh, @MyStars, bless you (not "bless your heart" you know what I mean) - thanks for siccing Irving Berlin on a poor defenseless woman. It could be worse, it could be the Gershwins, then I'd be sunk.

Let's play it safe (on my sanity) and say I am attracted to him in the abstract because I don't know him and he most definitely won't ever know me in this lifetime :lol:. Although I like the fact that you think we can just ask him personal questions like "why the Third Infantry" like we were friends. What do the kids say these days - "Delulu"? Well, "de-real" is a bit depressing these days, so delulu on, I say. 

Well, actually, "bless yer heart"  is the current vernacular in the deep South USA, but I answer "guilty" to either.   So, feeling really guilty over the Gershwin/Berlin offering I have another offering that may make peace.   Here is a talisman to keep and to save in moments of trial and tribulation, doubt,  longing, and need.  Because, as the song says, I've been there once or twice........

mystarskwilllogo.gif

I am working on more of these, so bear with me. 

P.S.  I keep many of these types on my person, in my PC's, in my car USB programs.  I am always safe.

• LOL 2

@MyStars, now I know you’re just trying to kill me dead :lol:

And 2 can play this game:

8115C8A7-3B48-43A9-9CDD-F997E599A8C4_zps 

(Incidentally, this is one of those moments when I thought - “this man can ACT”. Check out that super-subtle change of expression on his face. Also, “I won’t stress you out” has got to be one of the most beautiful things a man can say to a woman :lol:)

P/s: where’s everyone else?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nadster said:

More prosaically, I have projects to lead and one of my team members asked me why I was more smiley and "less Miranda Priestley these days" :crazy:

Sandra Bullock SNORT Laugh.  I was looking for a good clip on YT from Miss Congeniality, but couldn't find one.......I guess I'll have to make my own.  But the Devilish Prada-ess Miranda Priestly is no laughing matter, really.  You're scaring me.....

10 hours ago, nadster said:

(Incidentally, this is one of those moments when I thought - “this man can ACT”. Check out that super-subtle change of expression on his face. Also, “I won’t stress you out” has got to be one of the most beautiful things a man can say to a woman :lol:)

P/s: where’s everyone else?

So true @nadster, so true.  Sigh.

You really called this one with this clip, both with the sentiment and the expressive look.  He seems to be such a keen observer of human nature, to see and retain all the small subtleties and recall and spin them later, with those hot, metallic, huge cameras and lights in his face, surrounded by seemingly hundreds of stage hands looming over him.  Nerves of steel.  And blindingly intelligent.  

As enchanting as his scenes are with his female co-stars (or as frighteningly real as the rehearsal "slap scene" from Five Fingers that you mentioned) when he is with his male co-stars and can be wildly "macho" masculine, it's like watching a runaway freight train, or an avalanche coming to take your village away.  (I wouldn't ever, ever want him mad at me......) I'm thinking especially of his scenes when he reunites with his Teacher in Healer, and those fights with Yoo Ji Tae as Kim Moon Ho - also in Healer.  The K2 and Suspicious Partner, just to mention the current dramas, are also filled with bruising male dialogue and action with his more-than-capable male co-stars. 

He may not be getting the drama critics awards and the Korean film national awards and recognition, and maybe television ratings that aren't the best,  but at least DramaFever.com and Viki.com, between them, are featuring just about every one of his dramas, and as @cherkell pointed out, Amazon Prime will rent or sell you Fabricated City.  Netflix hasn't caught on yet. So, some lots of people somewhere want to see him right now!   Somehow, everything he does, acting, concerts, stage musicals, is translating so well to other cultures.  Which brings me to another observation......It is just amazing to me how he can manage a stage musical with those big, broad actions and emotions, yet bring everything down to more human-like proportions when he goes to digital screens and silver screens.  I know other actors do it, but there aren't that many of them who make the transition so successfully.  

Working at home today, so I am able to do weird things, like going to other sites like Twitters that feature him, looking for other information on that Mystery of the Deleted Instagram Update, but I didn't find anything. What I did find instead was this bizarre site:  http://bechdeltest.com/.  "The Bechdel Test, sometimes called the Mo Movie Measure or Bechdel Rule is a simple test which names the following three criteria: (1) it has to have at least two women in it, who (2) who talk to each other, about (3) something besides a man." 

We failed every test.  But I don't think IT IS A BAD THING.  Stupid test.........

I was wondering about that, too.  Maybe we have an egregious case of digital B.O.,  aren't being inclusive?  Are boring?  Please feel free to chime in, anyone.........?

• Like 1

Lol, @MyStars however did you come across then Bechdel Test while trying to solve our Big Mystery? I do know it actually, mainly because I read comics/graphic novels and it was popularized by a strip by Alison Bechdel. 

Luckily, we’re not in a movie so not subject to the test hahaha. And yes, I do hope we don’t have digital BO, maybe we’re still squeeing since we’re relative latecomers to the Wookfest?

More squeeing later. Am off to catch a Harry Potter exhibition to reclaim some of my pre-Wook self.

Btw, did I read somewhere that @cherkell was in California? I hope she’s not affected  by the fires!

• Like 1

LOL you guys!  I'm currently on my way to the MSP airport for a flight back to my Seattle home base.  I was living in NorCal up until November, so the Ventura Fires would not be an issue... but I have many many many friends down in SoCal that are directly in the path of this blaze and am praying greatly that they've evacuated and are safe.

Some interesting discussions occurred whilst I have been tied up.  I'll add to the above once I get all checked in.  Stay tuned!

• Like 2

In the meantime, while waiting for @cherkell to make good on her teaser... 

Btw, he doesn’t mind people clogging his Instagram Inbox with random DMs just to relieve their feelings and maintain some semblance of sanity and dignity, does he? They all get automatically deleted/ignored,  don’t they? Asking for a friend.

P/s: also, 승진? 잘 했어! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MyStars said:

It is just amazing to me how he can manage a stage musical with those big, broad actions and emotions, yet bring everything down to more human-like proportions when he goes to digital screens and silver screens.  I know other actors do it, but there aren't that many of them who make the transition so successfully.  

Yes, exactly! Hugh Jackman comes to mind but I’ve noticed that his acting for the screen tends to be a tad bit theatrical. 

“Blinding intelligence”. Sigh. Kryptonite for a sapiosexual. 

• LOL 1

9 hours ago, nadster said:

In the meantime, while waiting for @cherkell to make good on her teaser... 

Btw, he doesn’t mind people clogging his Instagram Inbox with random DMs just to relieve their feelings and maintain some semblance of sanity and dignity, does he? They all get automatically deleted/ignored,  don’t they? Asking for a friend.

P/s: also, 승진? 잘 했어! 

Was sidelined by the Triple Threat of Travel:  Flight delayed; luggage lost; crises (plural) back at the office that were not settled until 1:00am today.  Sheesh.  I'm taking off today to recoup and regroup and recharge.

So to answer questions as best as I can... if you are not following anyone (as is he), you can set your IG account to not accept DMs.  They go into some sort of digital limbo but are not delivered to the recipient.  If a few get through, I'm sure he's merely ignoring them so as to not cause World War III.  (Safe to say that since we're not nuked yet?)  Bad enough his comments are filled with ignorant fangrrrlz asking him to marry them or a specific co-star.  Those of us that have been in his orbit for a while now know to stay far away from that morass. :tongue:

As to the IG photos... I am truly stumped as to why he deleted the football pitch photo.  I've asked my Korean friends if there was any rhyme or reason for it, and they cannot think of a single thing either.  It's not like the soldiers cannot post selcas -- given his post from earlier today -- just as long as the photos do not show the base, its operations, any specific part of his uniform (name, rank, serial number, etc.), or any attempts at self-promotion.  I'm sure he cleared the pic with several authorities before posting it and it was nice to see regardless.

The promotion is standard after his 100 days' service.  He jumps from a mere Private to a Private First Class after returning from his leave.  Next class up is Corporal after another 100-120 days.  He has to get his hair cut after he gets back on base, though -- not another buzzcut, but shorter than what he's sporting now.

Woke up to 30ºF snowy weather.  Need another gallon of coffee before continuing.  More in a bit.  :D

• Like 2

On 12/4/2017 at 4:19 PM, nadster said:

Gershwins, you say!  In honour of Wook's sudden surge in popularity, I am rewriting the lyrics to read It's Delightful...  it's Delovely... it's Delulu...

*crickets*

I'll see myself out.

I've been communicating with a close friend whose youngest brother is currently also stationed at another base in Cheorwon.  No one knows exactly why Wook picked the 3rd Infantry, other than it is believed to be the roughest and toughest that a recruit could enlist into and given his athletic background, makes perfect sense.  Granted, he doesn't really have a choice in this decision *but* suggestions are entertained.  So starting out at the 3rd and then transferring to the 5th is a logical assignment.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:39 PM, nadster said:

This is precisely my problem. If he were only a good actor with a wonderful baritone voice, I'd just be a fan of his talent, but no... he has to be charming and unassuming and well, as 'real' and intelligent/thoughtful as it is possible for a celebrity to be, judging from all public evidence at least. How is anyone supposed to resist this, even before we take his gorgeousness into account? 

Aye, therein lies the rub.  IMHO, because Wook is a normal human being (albeit inside a package to DIE for), I believe he is treated by the Korean public as more than an entertainment commodity to be put on a pedestal and admired from afar.  But that also causes consternation in that EVERYONE wants a piece of him and damn the torpedoes!  The lack of 'scandals' also helps the public's idea of him being someone always accessible and available... which is now becoming dangerous.  The amount of stalking has increased exponentially, and the Korean public was getting upset that Wook had yet to finalize his enlistment; he'd been saying since after "Healer" ended in February 2015 that he would be going in "soon."  Who would have figured that "soon" ended up being August 2017?

Even though he didn't have much of a choice since time was running out, enlisting and staying out of the public eye whilst serving his country is the smartest move Wook could have made for his career.  And for those fangrrrrlz who DEMANDED that he should have had a fan meeting or show up at Carnaby or arrange for some other event during his recent family break?  You can all just bite me.  Twice. :angry:

I also have friends that work at Netflix who explained how Korean dramas are chosen for airing.  The shows' production companies are the ones driving the train, and if they figure to make more bucks by licensing their content, they'll make the first pitch.  The latest content grab seems to be more of a detriment, since these co-productions will not air in real-time, waiting a week or more to broadcast and we have other ways of watching.  *ahem*  More often than not, there are massive copyright issues involved that will keep several well-received shows from ever seeing the Streaming Light of Day.  Personally, I would KILL to see "Empress Ki" taken off Hulu and streamed through Netflix instead... especially if they go back through and remove those awful D. Bannon subtitles!  (Although "persimmo-yummies" will always bring a smile to my mug.)

Enough crabbing.  Work should be slowing down soon for the holidays.  We have several items in the pipeline that need to be polished before posting, so I'd better get back in the saddle.  Hasta la bye-bye for now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cherkell said:

Gershwins, you say!  In honour of Wook's sudden surge in popularity, I am rewriting the lyrics to read It's Delightful...  it's Delovely... it's Delulu...

*crickets*

I'll see myself out.

NO FAIR!!  I was fixin' to post something somber when I read these first few lines.  Lost my drink thru my nose.  Bad, bad @cherkell.    Luckily, so far, no one has figured out how to deconstruct the word (s) delicious, or delectable, deluxe, delimit.....etc.....mebbe...I guess I should give it some time.

• LOL 1

I tried to link this to my previous post with a quote, but Soompi was not having it.   See the material from @cherkell above regarding HULU.

The reason for HULU's existence  always escapes me.....years ago, yes years.....HULU was free. ALL of it.  Then, stealthily, slowly, they demand money for this, for that, every little thing. Now they cost more than DramaFever or Viki.   I lost faith in them completely and to this day forget that they exist. Luckily I have my own copy of Empress Ki so HULU can go "suck eggs."  Is that the current epithet of condemnation?  Is there a better one?  If so, I will use it.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 12:26 AM, cherkell said:

Was sidelined by the Triple Threat of Travel:  Flight delayed; luggage lost; crises (plural) back at the office that were not settled until 1:00am today.  Sheesh.  I'm taking off today to recoup and regroup and recharge.

Yikes, @cherkell! And 30 degrees Fahrenheit to boot! Pretty sure you deserve a spa day, with a hot stone massage, by Wook...ok, not that last part but I'm apparently crazy now...sigh. But thank you for taking the time to respond to my  blathering (and taking some of the heat off @MyStars :lol:). Hopefully this is temporary, otherwise it is really off to the therapist I go. 

On 12/7/2017 at 6:00 AM, cherkell said:

That's actually 2/3rds Cole Porter, so I'm still safe - muahaha! But thanks for the earworm! :tongue:

Aye, therein lies the rub.  IMHO, because Wook is a normal human being (albeit inside a package to DIE for), I believe he is treated by the Korean public as more than an entertainment commodity to be put on a pedestal and admired from afar.  But that also causes consternation in that EVERYONE wants a piece of him and damn the torpedoes!  The lack of 'scandals' also helps the public's idea of him being someone always accessible and available... which is now becoming dangerous.  The amount of stalking has increased exponentially, and the Korean public was getting upset that Wook had yet to finalize his enlistment; he'd been saying since after "Healer" ended in February 2015 that he would be going in "soon."  Who would have figured that "soon" ended up being August 2017?

I was actually really wondering about the sasaeng situation. Because if someone like me, who's been described as "insanely rational", could kind of understand the impulse to want to follow this man around for the chance to interact with him as a human being, then who knows how someone who...maybe isn't as "rational", and possibly afflicted by raging hormones, would feel? Also, and apologies in advance if this offends, maybe, just maybe... he shouldn't say things like "if you bump into me on the street, ask me your questions and I'll answer" for the sake of his own safety? Because there are a lot of women around the world who would do God knows what to bump into him on the streets. Part of me though loves the fact that he's trying to keep a sense of normalcy, but another part is like "nooo, don't tempt the crazies!" And yet another part is like, "OMG why do I care so much about the well-being of this guy who I don't actually know and vice versa?" 

Bear with me, because I'm really new to this, but for me,  one of the fascinating things about K-pop culture is this whole idea of "fan service" - you wouldn't expect some one like, oh... Leonardo DiCaprio to have fan meetings where he sings and plays games and chats with thousands of fans (who are, lets face it, 99.99% women who fancy themselves in love with him), and entertain pressure about not enlisting, or not appearing on some variety/reality show, or have his shoulders measured, etc. I appreciate the fact that this is really... well, "customer service", but it's still fascinating. Because it is so easy for people to forget that this is part of the business, particularly in the case of someone supposedly "accessible" like Actor Ji, who makes you think, "Oh, maybe I'll write to this guy while he's in the army and ask him stuff like what he thinks of Man on the Moon, and if he's seen the English Patient because he said he'd like to try a melodrama next" and actually expect an answer, forgetting that there are potentially millions of letters to him clogging up the Cherwon postal service or whatever it is :lol:

So yes, I completely agree that Military Service is one of the best things that can happen to him, primarily because he really has been going at breakneck speed for the past 9 years or so, so at least this gives him the chance to, as he says, "focus on Ji Chang Wook the man'. One would hope that he could have done that somewhere safer, like an ashram, but needs must, LOL. Maybe some of the frenzy will die down by May 2019? We can hope.

And those fangrrrlz who are after him for not having a fan meeting or entertaining while he is on a very short furlough can also bite me. I know Muay Thai, so would appreciate some practice. 

I just had a thought though - wouldn't it be awesome if there was like a "Ji Chang Wook in the Actor's Studio" session? Where you could actually ask him more interesting questions about his process rather than boring stuff like his favourite colour and which of his co-stars he preferred. And the most "entertaining" he would have to do is maybe sing a few songs :D 

More often than not, there are massive copyright issues involved that will keep several well-received shows from ever seeing the Streaming Light of Day. 

Speaking of copyright issues and Netflix, I found it hilarious that the Reply series on Netflix would blur out the on-screen TV sreens when the characters were watching TV or a movie, LOL. Full disclosure: I live in Malaysia, so we're kind of even more hampered if we don't subscribe to satellite TV or the TVN provider (can't get Dramafever or Viki), but there are er..."alternatives" *sheepish*.

Finally, to end on a less heavy note - and apologies if this is a repeat - this video made me want to go to the gym this morning, LOL. And I see Wook and I both swing/carry the same kettlebell weight. You guys, this is definitely a sign that we are OTP :D Have a great day, peeps!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nadster said:

one of the fascinating things about K-pop culture is this whole idea of "fan service" - you wouldn't expect some one like, oh... Leonardo DiCaprio to have fan meetings where he sings and plays games and chats with thousands of fans (who are, lets face it, 99.99% women who fancy themselves in love with him), and entertain pressure about not enlisting, or not appearing on some variety/reality show, or have his shoulders measured, etc. I appreciate the fact that this is really... well, "customer service", but it's still fascinating. Because it is so easy for people to forget that this is part of the business,.........remainder omitted.

And back on December 3 you also said   "I'm an extremely cynical person so a tiny part of me was wondering if the innate decency, the down-to-earthness, even the endearing 'fault' of having 0 rhythm was an elaborate act? Did someone device an algorithm of qualities that would be attractive to women, even programming 'faults' and spit them out into this perfect being?

The answer is YES!!!!

All of this resonated with me;  I always told myself that if I ever got back to that part of the world I would go to Seoul and start looking for the factory that turns out these incredible people with the perfect physiques, the charm, the talent, etc., ad nauseam.  As I read more and more about Korea and KPop and KDrama, it became very clear that there is a mastermind of sorts behind all of this.  The most telling piece of reading that really brought it all home, that made my suspicions (and yours) not suspicions at all, but fact and reality, is a booklet by Euny Hong titled:  The Birth of Korean Cool - How One Nation is Conquering the World Through Pop Culture.  It  was copyrighted in 2014 by Picador/St. Martins Press/Pan Books Limited.  I found my copy on Kindle.  I found her explanations had the ring of first hand knowledge, a diary of sorts, not just an academic facts and figures type explanation.  

For example:  Kindle page 6:  "If this sounds like a national campaign, that's because it is.  The South Korean government has made the Korean Wave the nation's number one priority."

Kindle page 7: "A mind-boggling one third of venture capital in Korea is spent on the entertainment industry-----more than on any other sector."

But rather than this being suspicious and sinister I try to think of it as how Florida, USA has its own Tourist Development Bureau;  I'm sure California has the same.  Korea wants to capture the world by "soft power" mainly to sell Korean products, e.g. Samsung anything, Hyundai,  Kia...  SK has made marketing magic.  I've happily, merrily, and with my eyes open, walked completely into the trap.  I like it here, and I think I'll stay for a long, long time.  I harbor no cynicism.   If you ladies have already read this booklet, then you know what I am talking about.

So when you next hear the lyrics from this Rodgers and Hammerstein song from Cinderella, think this instead:

Are you the sweet invention of a lover's dream the South Korean government's dream,

Or are you really as beautiful as you seem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDo81tV55qI  Yes, it's THEM again.

anigif.gif

Who knows?  I know.......

• LOL 1

On 12/8/2017 at 4:42 AM, MyStars said:

If you ladies have already read this booklet, then you know what I am talking about.

Ah, @MyStars, you’ve found me out. My gateway drama may’ve been Reply 1994 but my gateway into Hallyu was that booklet, Youna Kim’s Korean Wave which came out before that and other interesting stuff coming out of the World Association for Hallyu Studies (www.iwahs.org). I was essentially looking at soft power, lol. The US started it, but nowhere near as focused and centralized as what the South Koreans have done. Nerd by nature, nerd by profession, I’m afraid.  Super tempted to ditch my area of specialization (economics, governance, urban stuffzzzz...) and research oh, I don’t know...measurements of soft power impact with one particular actor as a case study? :lol:

The thing is, is it “better” to knowingly be suckered in? A bit like *geek alert* choosing to stay in the Matrix because it feels nicer and reality just sucks. Yes, yes it is :lol:

In passing, and just because of the way my brain is wired, I was thinking - Wook has fans literally all over the world, or at least where they have Internet access. This includes the Arab world and Israel. Has no one thought of leveraging on this for the Middle East peace process? If not - I totally volunteer as tribute. 

I think with Ji Chang Wook, they’ve completely perfected the formula. Damn them. 

I’m beyond Rodgers and Hammerstein now, btw, we have to bring out the big guns, to wit - Sondheim:

This is exactly me right now. In fact, I’m worse than the delulu character singing the song (Sally). If anyone knows the story (Follies), at least the object of delulu being sung about (Ben) knew Sally! Argh. When is this going to pass?!

Lastly, because I believe in a gif for a gif 

WookieSexy photo 3110D8C7-25B6-4469-B179-9125A5CB55EC_zpsb50ujgop_1.gif

Sorry for the tininess! LOL

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 3:17 PM, nadster said:

Greetings, everyone!

I'm delurking with several confessions and the hope that I won't be kicked out because of them :D I'm not only new to the utter perfection that is Ji Chang Wook, but I'm new to K-land as a whole. My 'gateway drug' was Reply 1994 when it came out on Netflix (I know, right?) - this despite the fact that I have several younger cousins who caught Hallyu early and practically learned Korean through listening to music and watching movies and dramas. Anyway, I was talking about how awesome Goblin was at work and my colleague tells me, "you have to watch Healer". The rest, as they say, is squee-ness history.

This was however, in September 2017. So I'm ridiculously late to the party, but thankfully it's still going strong, yes?

Actually, the main reason I've been avoiding K-dramas is because I know how addictive they can be and I have a bit of an obsessive personality (haha). I got into Reply 1994  mainly because I love stories that marry slice-of-life with historical contexts and... my Mum (who is not a Hallyu fan by any means) highly recommended it. I'm not exaggerating - my life hasn't been the same ever since. My job and Dramas led me to the OSTs and the music, and now here I am, learning Hangul in 2 hours and trying to learn Korean. :rolleyes:

Despite being late to the party,  I have some things to say about Actor Ji's work. @MyStars (btw, love the Southern (US) flavour of your nickname - my sister lives in Ft Worth :D) - you absolutely hit the nail on the head when you said that some of his early work would have been unwatchable if not for him. Looking at you, Five Fingers - but even then... somewhere in the depths of this Forum is BTS footage of Ji Chang Wook telling Chae Shi Ra to just whale into him for a scene in which she slaps him, leaving a very distinct red welt on his face. They cried, I cried watching, and just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. Talk about being dedicated to his craft - he's like Daniel Day Lewis without the pretentiousness and being annoying to people around him while being 'Method' (before DDL fans come at me - I'm a big fan, but let's be real, ok?).

I'm going to even venture so far as to say that apart from Healer and Empress Ki, I don't know if any of his other dramas - and even Fabricated City - that have  100% been worthy of his talent and skill. Don't get me wrong - I love love love Suspicious Partner (and can't help gushing about it to everyone - more on that later), Smile Donghae was charming and put him on the map and I liked Sons of Sol Pharmacy where you got to see his acting chops, but I wish that some of the writing could have been that much tighter, even with SP, where he had seriously charming chemistry not only with Nam Ji Hyun, but all the other characters (except maybe Nara, poor girl - it's ok, it's hard for a first-time actor to share scenes with someone whose charisma is off the charts like our Actor Ji). But again, there were some niggling issues like the whole thing with 

Reveal hidden contents

his parents' arson case and her father's involvement 

which, I suppose, fits in with that thing in K-dramas where couples have prior history/fate, but still, I think it needlessly messed up an already rich plot. Loved the whole theme of memories being subjective though - very sophisticated, as @MyStars has said. 

WBDS was awesome until extenderitis and the need for the hero to be stuffed into a more conventional romantic pairing set in - so I completely agree 100% with what you said over at Dramabeans, @cherkell!

This need to have the hero fall in love with the more conventional girl also afflicted the K2 - I loved the premise, loved the idea, think Soon Yoon-Ah was a revelation, but the rest of the execution..sigh. There's an article over at Dramabeans giving it an alternative ending where Je Ha ends up with Yoo-jin which ups the quality of the story infinitely. That, and leaving out 90% of the Gregorian chanting. 

I think the DramaKandy podcast said something some time ago relating to SP, that JCW has so much charisma that who ever is paired up with him as to be able to match that, and that really was made obvious in K2. Also the writing - were they trying to echo how Healer falls in love with Young-Shin when he's surveilling her with Je-Ha and Anna? I don't think it worked this time, IMO. I'm in the "ramyeon dance was annoying" camp, LOL. 

Then again, DramaKandy also said that with JCW that you fall in love with how the men he plays fall in love - and this is absolutely true. That scene where he

Reveal hidden contents

confesses to Bong Hee that he likes her but is willing to wait for her - wow. There is this mercurial change in his face from serious to hopeful to just...shining that is just... ok, words fail :D).

So hopefully, more lo-cos for him after military service is over! 

As for Fabricated City - I'm kind of with Gabby on her review over at jichangwookkitchen.com though - some scenes could have been shorter, the writing again could have been tighter, and I wish the villain could have been a biiit more multi-dimensional, but still, great film. I hope that after his army stint, he finally lands a Train to Busan-type vehicle, though! That would be completely worthy of him. 

I read one of those listicles (I know) that went something like 'how not to fall in love with a K actor' and it said something like "don't watch the BTS footage, don't watch his interviews, don't watch his fan meetings, don't watch him sing, etc.". Too bad I read all that after doing all of the above. And now, I have a pretty severe case of Wook-itis. Was it @MyStars who said he's an absolute mensch? The man is the very mensch of mensches. I'm an extremely cynical person so a tiny part of me was wondering if the innate decency, the down-to-earthness, even the endearing 'fault' of having 0 rhythm was an elaborate act? Did someone device an algorithm of qualities that would be attractive to women, even programming 'faults' and spit them out into this perfect being? If there are any True Blood fans out there - did someone come up with a man who looks like a Faerie, has the charisma of Eric Northman and the decency of non-insane Bill Compton and package them into Ji Chang Wook? But no, the man is just so damned real. He is, as you say, sui generis. Sigh. An aside:  is it my bias (pun intended) or does he have great taste? I'm now a Lee Juck fan - don't listen to Love if unprepared to cry,

I now realize that while I may have admired artists for their work in the past, I've never been a real fan of anyone or anything before. If their shows/movies happened to be playing in town and I could get tickets? Sure, I'd go. But my Wook-itis is a different kettle of bungeo-ppang altogether. This is very much only personal to me and I really hope no one takes offense, but I'm still getting used to being so emotionally vested in someone who will, in all likelihood, never know I exist except as one of a legion - deservedly so, btw, and happy to be. But still takes some getting used to. The last time I sent out snail mail (apart from holiday cards) was more than a decade ago but here I am, composing a letter in a foreign language I'm still learning in my head and contemplating sending a letter that will likely not to be read and most certainly never be replied to a man in the Korean Army. LOL. Serious question, though - is this a good idea? I don't want to burden the system and most of all, Ji Chang Wook, with yet something he has to deal with while hello, helping to defend his country from the loony next door.

Btw, can I just say, @cherkell, that you and Gabby over at jichangwookkitchen are my absolute heroes? And I love that your devotion has sort of paid off - my jaws dropped and haven't lifted off the ground when I read about you meeting up with our hero in LA. WOW. I'm in awe, but also - just a tiny bit of envy, because I'm human :lol:

Apologies that this has been so long, but I'm just so full as of squee, especially after yesterday's Instagram update (but why was it taken off though - I really really hope there wasn't any trouble). As they say, "I will work hard, please take care of me"!

P/s: - Am parceling out this Forum bit by bit because - obsessive personality and I unfortunately I have "real life" - but am loving all of the entries I've read so far!

I absolutely loved reading your piece and journey of him. It tempted me to write it too. So while I am starting I don’t know what would be the ending. For me it all started around 9 or 10 years ago. One of my students (teacher I am) recommended me watching korean dramas and I was so hesitated as I only knew Jumung in that time and I was fed up with that ( not because of the drama itself but because it was practically everywhere and I was tired of hearing the name, my mom is still watching it) so I was very reluctant. But still she gave me a few like I am sorry I love you and my name is kim sam song and also Love at harward. I started watching them non stop and before I new I was drown into Kdramas. I kept watching and then came Boys over flowers. I became a fan of Lee min ho (a kind of big one but not a crazy one). Still I kept watching different dramas with different actors till I almost felt I am starting disliking them. I was bored with too much noble idiocy and too much crying heroes ( no offense to any actor I have always believed K actors are great in crying their eyes out but I started to want a more manly one without too much shouting). The dramas started to make me bored and I was kind of letting them go till 2014. I was watching KBS channel ( see what are the chances as I hardly watch TV let alone a Korean channel) I saw a few minutes of the first episode of healer but didn’t really bother to continue. Then I saw in an Iranian Forum regarding Kdramas ( I am Iranian) people talking about a great drama called healer and I was like oh that is the guy. I kept reading the reviews and they were awesome but being me I hate watching the dramas before they get finished so I controlled myself ( just checked the reviews on Soompie and Dramabeans though I hardly check the latter nowadays as I think it used to be better and less judgemental). When it was done I started watching and guess what? It brought back my almost completely lost interest in Kdramas. It was different. The story was nothing new but very nicely put. The couple would be always my fav and while watching them I actually learned a lot. They were so mature and they did’t leave each other for the sake of the other one’s happiness ( very refreshing). The music was great (before watching it heard lots of comparisons with City hunter which again I love but Healer is better like one head and shoulder and I can defend it). The actors were real actors all of them. Nobody let me down. The Ajumma ( freaking awesome) but but but.. Holy Molly I was completely sold by JCW acting. I am not someone to become a fan by face ( it is surely important I mean the actor has to be charismatic enough). He surprised me. He was different from the rest of heroes. I know many may disagree but for me he is the best in his generation. His acting style was different. He didn’t need to talk. He acts with all his body just like the beginning of episode 14 and even the beginning of episode 11 of K2 ( though the writing didn’t let him to show what he is capable of , even with that one scene he proved himself). He shows different range of emotions from anger to happiness to frustration to sadness and many more in his eyes in a blink of an eye. It is like he is wearing a mask. He didn’t need to shout or have big tears but he made me cry with his subtle micro expressions. When I start to become a fan of acting I have to know the actor’s personality too. So I started watching interviews and programs. You know mentioned sth about pretentious, I was suspicious too in that case but damn his eyes give him away. I hope u have watched running man ( It definitely showed me with him what u see is what u get, too pure, a sense of innocence, very charming and childish, he cant lie at all but still can be very manly when he needs to be or when he went to Sketchbook , even the MC was shocked by his honesty and purity). After healer and while he was in China I thought I have forgotten him but alas with K 2 and then Fabricated city ( freaking awesome, He was just amazing, again his eye acting when he has to get rid of his mom bracelet, I am sad he didn’t get any awards), and of course SP ( which showed a completely new side of him as many typecast him as an action hero), I was back on track and how. What I really like about his acting, he is never over the top, he goes with the flow with the rest of the cast, The guy can have chemistry even with a tree ( as I said his style is different from the rest). How could I forget EK ( he outshined everyone, yes I dare to say even the greatest actors there, like the beginning of episode 43). HE really hasn’t gotten his due as an actor. He surely deserves many awards. One more thing, he criticizes himself quite honestly. I remember reading his interviews after K2 ( damn love him in action). I was wondering for an actor like him who is always after something new to show how he chose this drama ( not that it is bad I mean being able to show a greater range as an actor), which I got the answer. He chose it cause the story was quite different at first. He was supposed to die and he loves sad endings. Anna’s character was different too. SO I could see he was a bit disappointed. Song yoona is awesome but her character was written much better compared to others. Oops, I didn’t know I would write this much and I am sure when I post this I would be like oh I forgot to say this. Anyway sorry for the long writing and misspellings cause I am kind of sleepy.

• Like 2