Why is great cooking skills so attractive?

Crunchyrunchy

I been asking around different forums/researching and it seems like cooking is the most attractive talent for a significant other. Even surpassing instrumental skills, athletics, art, and etc.
As someone that can sort of cook, I am not complaining but I want to know what you guys think. Is good cooking skills the most attractive talent or one of the most for your significant other?

I want to make a poll but I don't know how to.

Cooking is definitely a plus, who doesn't like it when their meals are ready and served on the table for them; everyone would like that. I'd say it goes both ways, that guys love girls who can cook and girls also love guys who can cook. My fiance and I each prepare 2 plates for our dinner meals and I find it the most romantic thing ever, cooking together (in fact, that's the only time I actually enjoy cooking). To me, they don't have to have great cooking skills, in fact I prefer so-so cooking skills but volunteers to cook more often is highly preferred :D Knowing how to cook is useful and practical, what good can playing the instrument, art, and athletic skills get you? Sure knowing that is great, but we all have to eat every single day. I always steer-clear from guys who doesn't like to cook (not necessarily doesn't know how) because that just translates to I'll be the one feeding them in the future and that is a big no. I'm personally not big into cooking, but if they're willing to chip-in and do their part I'll gladly do my part as well. Knowing how to cook is good, but as for one of the most attractive skills in my S/O, it's in the top 5, but not the most important factor.

Guest HERMIT

Cooking is a sign of self sufficiency, resourcefulness, and an innate indicator of how capable one can be in providing for a family unit.
If one can at least accomplish some level of competence in this skill, the better their chance at subconsciously attracting a potential mate at that primal level.

Nope, I'm a great cook and it doesn't work. enough said.

^and no, I'm not joking.

sure, my ex loved my cooking, but it was only because she liked me as a person that she wanted to be in a relationship with me, not because of the food. I think I finally have enough dating experience to say this, but there is no magical skill or anything that will get you girls. Physical attractiveness, player flirting skills, and money are the only things that matter. All skills do is put an added plus into the relationship that will make your S/O really happy and want to brag about you, but unless they like you already, then you have no chance.

Guest [ knockOUT ]

Well, everyone does need to eat. And eating well is a plus. It would suck if both people in a relationship didn't know how to cook, imagine what they'd be eating! My boyfriend doesn't know how to cook, but he is really helpful in the kitchen and I'm appreciative of that. I've seen men that don't even offer to help in the kitchen while their girlfriends do all the work, and vice versa. I do think helping out is more important than knowing how to cook, just like what the other poster said. Since I know how to cook, and I enjoy doing it, I really don't mind that my boyfriend doesn't know how. But the most important thing is for him to try, and he does whip up something once in a while or he plates and garnishes the dishes just to show that he's trying.

I don't get the fascination either! I do love to eat but that doesn't mean I'm a whiz in the kitchen, nor do I want that necessarily in my partner. I think it goes back to the old adage The Way Through a Man's Heart is Through his Stomach so this has prompted women to brush up or hone in on their cooking skills in order to impress. OR maybe people find it attractive to see someone slaving in the kitchen 'cause that gives off a homely/domesticated vibe I guess LoL. Still it's not the ONLY thing that's attractive, there's more to a person - surely...  

Ninshark said: Nope, I'm a great cook and it doesn't work. enough said.

^and no, I'm not joking.

sure, my ex loved my cooking, but it was only because she liked me as a person that she wanted to be in a relationship with me, not because of the food. I think I finally have enough dating experience to say this, but there is no magical skill or anything that will get you girls. Physical attractiveness, player flirting skills, and money are the only things that matter. All skills do is put an added plus into the relationship that will make your S/O really happy and want to brag about you, but unless they like you already, then you have no chance.

I don't need my partner to be a master cook but at least he should know how to make something and not expect me to cook for him. I mean, I would love to be able to make something special for him. The thing is that I'm still learning or rather I'm better at baking than I am at cooking. There are other qualities more important in a partner than being a great cook.

Guest shooting_stars

I don't think good cooking skills are necessarily the most attractive skill a partner can have, but it is certainly one of them. I do think being able to cook is more attractive than playing an instrument or being athletic, however.
My partner mostly does all the cooking (not that I can't, but he can definitely whip something up more easily than I can), but I do all the cleaning (and I also love to bake/make desserts), so I think it's a fair trade-off. I usually don't like to help him either because I feel that we both like our space when we're in the kitchen...for me, when I bake (or cook sometimes), I prefer to be left alone with the task, unless I was making some complicated item. I like to watch my partner cook, but I think it has more to do with the fact that he is making something specifically for me or for the both of us to enjoy (I'd argue that I'm usually the more "creative" one, so it's not often that he makes something for me).
But of course, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if my partner couldn't cook.

Guest kpoponenews

Like a majority of people have said, cooking is a plus. No one can probably last on take out, ramen and junk food for so long without going out to a restaurant, and the art of good cooking demonstrated by your significant other shows both personal attention and straight-up awesomeness. -AP

One can think of this as the modern equivalent of being able to go out and run down something for supper. It's easy to go out and grab take out or a microwave meal. But the act (dare I say, art?) of preparing a meal is a sign of a certain level of organisation and self reliance. 
Being able to cook for oneself is not a simple achievement. It's time consuming and early results may not necessarily be perfection but over time it can be improved on with some work. 
Sounds like a relationship doesn't it? 

it really will depend on where you are asking. if you went to a forum based on sports or music, surely you will get a different answer. most people do not have a "hard hobby" such as a specific sport, or instrument for example. most people have soft hobbies that do not require much training to get into, such as watching tv, hanging out, drinking, partying, and EATING. which is open to everyone. you don't need to be over 21 to enjoy food, you don't need to be guilt tripped like if you went to a party and stayed out all night etc.
food is fairly universal, enjoyable, and requires absolutely no skill to enjoy tasting. 

Cooking is like having an Ace in your hand. It doesnt guaranteed you a win, you still have to know how to use it well and when to use it lol. As my old mentor say "Men who cook well can put two things into a woman's body to make them feel good" ;)

personally I am attracted to those that can cook even if they are not physically attracted.1/ I appreciated a helping hand in the kitchen or someone that can rotate to cook.2/ the excitement of being able to challenge each other or just be like "whats ingredient did they use?"

Archived