[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, melissala said:

It's a battle of the 1 stars vs the 10 stars. These are grown folks too, having star battles....:w00t: 

She also knows the audience will come back for Reply 1974 or 2002 to be abused again.  So, in the end she wins anyway.

Really ???? They do that ?? Lol.

See you on the next installment girl. I'Ll be camping here when the time come hahahahaha

@otomame @FayeChang @PiggyKid  I saw a comment on DB for ep 20 regarding the 13 hour baduk game, and when I went back to watch that scene again, I couldn't help but laugh at the genius and dry wit of Shin-Lee team. The whole conversation felt like their own commentary on the main love storyline. 

It took 13 episodes for Taek to finally enter into a relationship with Deoksun, from the end of 6th when he was officially introduced as husband contender until the 19th episode. And at the end of the series, Taek, though tired and worn out, won an insane 13-hour long baduk game. 

Here is their conversation.

Taek (happily): "This is not a dream right."

DS (in a griping manner): "What kind of baduk game takes 13 hours?"

Taek (in agreement): "Yea. I know"

DS: You worked hard.

Taek: Yea. You too. 

4 hours ago, john100 said:

lol really, even if the producers try to focus on the family its not what is the main draw of the series.. offcourse the family is a important factor but even before the first ep aired it was all about who the husband is going to be/the talk and hype already starts before it airs and even after the show aired its the only thing being discussed like right now in this topic?

it is the most important/discussed part of the show.. thats a fact!

its the trademark of the reply series.. i know, you know it, everyone knows it.. imo, we shouldnt be even discussing this

Lol i know we shouldn't be discussing this, but it's just sad for me to see the intend of the writer making this into family drama considered failed. The trademark is always there, and it will be the most discussed topic since it was the mystery that keeps lots of young viewers tuned in. But still, the family part is definitely the most important part, gets the most of the airtime, and that's why the romance didn't get as much development and conflict as 1994 one. The main draw of this drama is the family conflict and the family's youth that has been gone. That's why we don't even touch the husband topic in the first episode, and gets a lot of hidden clues from the starts abt who the husband is. The husband plot wrapped up in 18 and 19, then the last episode focus on the family conflict between bora-sunwoo and their dad, also the youth that has been gone.

29 minutes ago, luluponyazn said:

It took 13 episodes for Taek to finally enter into a relationship with Deoksun, from the end of 6th when he was officially introduced as husband contender until the 19th episode. And at the end of the series, Taek, though tired and worn out, won an insane 13-hour long baduk game. 

Taek (happily): "This is not a dream right."

DS (in a griping manner): "What kind of baduk game takes 13 hours?"

Taek (in agreement): "Yea. I know"

DS: You worked hard.

Taek: Yea. You too. 

I am litterally Laughing out loud right now xD that was sooooo good xD

50 minutes ago, luluponyazn said:

@otomame @FayeChang @PiggyKid  I saw a random comment on DB for ep 20 regarding the 13 hour baduk game, and when I went back to watch that scene again, I couldn't help but laugh at the genius and dry wit of Shin-Lee team. The whole conversation felt like their own commentary on the main love storyline. 

I read that comment too and I love their underhanded humour :lol: Another scene where the writer/director seem to be making a jab at themselves was pointed out by @PBJayism in the DSxTK thread (I hope you don't mind me quoting you here :)).

I've been replaying the final two episodes just because I want to drown in the feels before I do my series rewatch, but I seriously CANNOT get over this scene.

It's pure meta-gold HAHAHA. I honestly imagine the writer just laughing sadistically while she wrote it - it's very tongue-in-cheek and poking fun at the non-believers who weren't able to see the DS-TK relationship blossoming and would therefore be in denial once it happened. I actually think it was written that way in anticipation of the reaction and collective mental breakdown after TK would be revealed as the husband. I also love how it's Cheetah Mum who said that it's a mistake. And the last two lines that them dating is something new and what is the (article) writer going to do PUAHAHAHA. It really felt like Writer Lee was referring to herself and taking responsibility of the bait-and-switch and her decision to have TK as the husband.

Noeul: Taek has a dating scandal! Don't be surprised. *flips open the picture of Taek and Deoksun holding hands* Amazing, right? Shocking, isn't it?

Junghwan's mom: Hey...come on, that's a mistake

Junghwan's dad: You're overreacting

Deoksun's mom: They do hold hands often

Taek's dad: They watch movies together often too

Junghwan's mom: They used to take baths together when they were younger. That's something new, isn't it? What's that writer going to do?

*goat sound*

I love this team and I wish we could have an interview with them in regards to Reply 1988 and its development. But maybe that's the beauty of it...not having the writer/director make any official comments and leaving everything to our own interpretation.

16 hours ago, Niel2804 said:

I LOVE YOU KNETZ

Title : Viewers still struggle to get over the ending of 'Reply 1988'

Article: 'Reply 1988' records highest viewer ratings but ironically the lowest grade by viewers

Source: Ilgan Sports via Naver

1. [+14,344, -1,112] The scriptwriter deserves it. She messed with the viewers too much.

2. [+13,070, -1,125] I agree, the drama may have gotten the highest viewer ratings out of the series but as a viewer, it got the lowest rating from me. I do not understand the ending at all.

3. [+10,065, -783] Even a song that's only a couple minutes long is organized with structure but this drama had none of that, just got lost in the mountains and then cut off

4. [+5,099, -564] Should just extend it to 25-30 episodes and show everything that needs to be shown...

5. [+3,101, -318] It's not that viewers are pissed that Junghwan wasn't the husband, it's that the viewers were never given a proper understanding as to why Taek became the husband. None of the process was shown so of course we'll be pissed. They put everything on the table and then ran away without closing any of the loose ends like, "lol whatever we're just going with Taek xD"

6. [+2,319, -81] Nothing cohesive about the plot, no explanation as to why Duksun became a stewardess, no explanation about her dreams..

-

Source: Nate

1. [+963, -98] The last two episodes could've used some work... The drama failed to come up with a proper explanation as to why Junghwan was not the husband, therefore inciting rage to his supporters. Despite myself being a supporter of Taek, I didn't enjoy the last two episodes at all. There was no reason given as to why Taek was decided as the husband... If only we had more time, like an episode more... I think we wouldn't be this upset and still caught up in the ending of the drama.

2. [+855, -81] Just because we rated the drama a 1 doesn't mean we didn't love it... we're just upset at the ending.

3. [+605, -60] Can we get a wife search next time instead of a husband search

4. [+73, -6] Drama started off being about Duksun and then ended with Bora ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ the true leads ended up being Bora and Kyungpyo ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+69, -10] What I want to know is that they took a week off to better perfect the last two episodes... but the last two episodes were the ones that ruined the drama. What did they take that week off for?

Credit to : http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.co.id/2016/01/viewers-still-struggle-to-get-over.html

Netizenbuzz and kkuljaem are a little bit biased i guessed, considering the opinions are so much different than naver tv cast. And i think article like this released because of two reason:

1. The media plays to attack Reply series

2. The wants of the media to still get more clicks with this topic, therefore get more money and keep the conversation going

That's just my point of view. I can't help analysing it since I was a communication student

5 hours ago, luluponyazn said:

@otomame @FayeChang @PiggyKid  I saw a random comment on DB for ep 20 regarding the 13 hour baduk game, and when I went back to watch that scene again, I couldn't help but laugh at the genius and dry wit of Shin-Lee team. The whole conversation felt like their own commentary on the main love storyline. 

Meta inside another meta: At the carpark, Baduk Director-nim also remarked TK worked hard for 13hrs and at the end he emerged victorious and even better there was a girlfriend waiting for him at the end of the hard day/match.

Brilliant just brilliant. 

20 hours ago, valNK said:

The script a bit fail for me at the end. I'm Sunbora shipper, not on DS-JH or DS-Taek, but the ending for DS is not convincing for me. Mostly I’m disappointed for how they turned DS character to be and how cruel they showed the damaged Ssang Mun Dong T_T

As I see, Reply1988 has 3 main characters: The Sung with Sung sisters - The Kim with JH and - The Choi with SW and Taek. It ran along with 2 parallel lovelines: Teenager triangle love JH-DS-Taek and mature love BR-SW. The plot was arranged in 2-4-4-4-4-2 to present the development of the 2 lovelines.

- 2 first episodes: They showed the characters and told viewers the main theme of the show: family. We can see how they focused on Sung sisters and SW-JH friendship. Like Sung sisters one is nice and one is tough, the boys too, one is cold and one is warm. While the 2 girls were like dog and cat, the 2 boys are really close.

- 4 episodes from 3 to 6: The loveline started as JH -> DS -> SW -> (unknown)

- 4 episodes from 7 to 10: BR and Taek were in. We have a one-side love for SW-> BR and a triangle love which still focused on DS -> JH.

- 4 episodes from 11 to 14: BR and SW started dating and developed their love along with the family stories. Meanwhile, JH stepped back, more moment for DS <-> TK.

- 4 episodes from 15-18: BR-SW involved in trouble between love, future and family. The triangle now focused on JH<->TK love and friendship confliction. 

- 2 last episode: It was about the girls’ decision and the end of all the lovelines. BR decided to catch a chance to comeback, DS told who she really loved.

I think the writer's intend is great, but she got it messed up because:

2-      Taek and BR are at the same position of the plot. They have their secret sadness about mom/dad, and both joined the loveline in ep6, but their influence in the whole story is different because the bond between them and the other characters in 2 lovelines are different. Unlike BR, before ep12, Taek never showed his strong bond to any guy in OT5 like SW_JH. That's why it's hard to connect the two lovelines together after Taek involved in.

3-       So they pushed the bond between SW and Taek by letting Taek discovered SW-BR secret dating and the story between SW's mom and Taek's dad. But it wasn’t much successful since SW almost took care of both things by himself and with his BR. And for Taek... well with his competitions, he's not home much, so we just saw his decision to all the family things, not how he made this decision.

5-      They also forgot DS’s character, her feeling for family and for her own self for nearly 8 episodes. Then they brought her out of the loveline and made her focus on study and dream… but never showed why she finally became an air hostess. And suddenly at the end, they told us DS liked Taek… because he kissed her and she was afraid (???) That’s a biggest hole of the plot and not convincing at all.

Sorry to cut your post.

Just want to cover some of the mess and plotholes you pointed out. It's just my opinion though. I think the progress of the love triangle has been shown in episode 7, with the manitto game, when ds wait taek at baduk club and the beach date. Taek also shown to have a strong bond with OT5 since episode 2, in the childhood flashback,;and in episode 4 when he loses. I think without the birthday party in episode 2 i would forget that taek was part of the team hahaha. They're not suddenly saying DS like Taek because he kisses her and stuff, the feeling are already there ever since he got his crush with JH or SW, seeing how she especially takes care of him. They go somewhere with just the two of them, and even take a bath together as a child  >< agree with everything you said except for this thing :)

52 minutes ago, luluponyazn said:

When the korean reporter and viewers get this, they'll rage even more. Lol. I think they'll hate the writer's gut. Look at the amount of upvote regarding jh's fate. :sweatingbullets: 

13 hours ago, fnkrm said:

Chocolate Scene: Yes, the chocolate was for Sun Woo which Deok Sun placed it in his bag. Of course the adult husband said he didn't received one. It doesn't make sense if Taek is the husband here because he didn't bring a bag to Jung Hwan's house. You can argue that Deok Sun might give Taek a chocolate at another event but then... why is this scene shown? For what purpose? 

the most acceptable explanation is from @packmule3 

here is her explanation :

15. the Chocolate Parody.  Take a look again at Episode 16. Like in the Wedding Parodies, there were two things happening at the same time. On the surface, we see DS and DR talking on the bus about how competitive TK was. But there was actually another story unfolding surreptitiously here.  DR said that TK won because he was competitive; he didn’t like to be number two. But there was another boy in the neighborhood who was also competitive: Jong Bung.

This is the answer to the chocolate mystery. “Kim Jong Bung and Choi Tae. Something famous linked these two.” 

As DR narrated the events of the Galaga video game rivalry to DS, the incidental things that were present during that fateful day months ago were being displayed in front of our eyes. First there was the chocolate that DS was eating. 
Then, the 3 backpacks from the students. 
Then, the hotdog that JB was eating at the arcade. 
Finally, there was the jacket that was worn by TK.

You see what’s going on?  JB and TK are "infamously linked" in time not only because of the game GALAGA but also because of the GHANA chocolate. [Check out the word play there too, lol].  

DS did intend to give the chocolate to TK but the chocolate ended up with JB. 

I bet JB learned to write that love letter to Mi-Ok using her chocolate. JB was getting information from DS anyway about MO's preferences, so why not learn from DS how to write a love letter. lol. Hmmmm....I wonder if DS wrote a line as cheesy as JB's "Vienna is the capital city of Austria, but the capital city of my heart is you."  Or if THIS line was actually hers to begin with and JB merely copied it. Curiouser and curiouser. 

JB’s motive for getting the chocolate was implied but not stated: he lost to TK. 

Check out Episode 17, when all four of the gang were on the bus. JB had handed a chocolate bar to DS to give to MO. None of the boys there even did a double-take at the sight of the chocolate. They’ve never received a chocolate from DS. 

Edited to add: And if you listen to the ending segment of Episode 18, at 1:41: 18: you’ll hear DR recounting a story about JB found something in his pocket. “You know, back then, JB didn’t know it was in his pocket.”  With this scriptwriter, seemingly irrelevant tidbits like this one, may become important to the resolution of the chocolate mystery.

Another fascinating insight from @packmule3  ....Here you go.. ^_^

Questions and Answers.

I ship the script. I think after all the rants, invectives and insults leveled at the scriptwriter and director these past three weeks, it’s time now for calm heads and coherent thoughts. Since the scriptwriter isn’t here to defend herself against attacks, I'll try to help her. After all, I was the first one who grasped her intention well and I understand how it feels to be pilloried for writing outside the mainstream. :lol:

Why do I do this? Because clarifications are necessary. In the future, when people come later to this thread to find out more about the show, I hope they'll realize that the scriptwriter and the director both did a fine job. 

Question 22: But netizens said the writer didn’t have a husband all planned out from the start. Didn’t RJY say on his V-App chat with his fans that none of the actors really knew who the husband was?
Answer: Yes, and according to the Infinite Monkey Theorem, “an infinite number of moneys with an infinite number of typewriters and an infinite amount of time will eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare.”

Seriously now, I’ve a sneaking suspicion that PEOPLE WHO CLAIM that scriptwriter Lee Woo-Jung could churn out TWO scripts every week with full details, story arcs, plot twists, moral story, love story, family story, news reels, baduk information, and character development for 5 main actors plus 6 supporting actors… HAVE NEVER come in contact with a real, breathing, professional writer. 

I’m shaking my head here. I said LWJ is a genius, but I didn’t say she’s a god who can create an entire fictional universe of Reply 1988 every six days. lol.

I have yet to meet ONE writer who isn’t obsessive nor compulsive. All writers I know fact-check a thousand times, even those obscure details which won’t even register as a blip in the readers’ minds. They fret over word choice, symbolism, imagery, and nuance. They want everything precise. They’re paranoid that their story ideas and concepts, i.e., “their intellectual property” will be stolen by other writers. They want full control of their work. They’re borderline neurotic to work with, because they want to produce the very best writing possible. 

LWJ is no different from the writers I socialize with. She won’t leave her script to chance.  She created this from Day 1. And she ensured that TK was going to be the husband despite strong public pressure to have an “alternative husband ending”.  An alternative husband ending wouldn’t work because she would have to overhaul the entire script.   

Second point. It may or may not be true that none of the actors, including RJY, knew who the husband would be. It was his fan-meeting. He deserves all accolades; he worked hard. He was entitled to say whatever he wanted to his fans, within reasons. Don’t they have a special word for this kind meeting? Fan-service?  

However, to IMPLY that the scriptwriter did not have a settled choice of husband because RJY said that none of the actors knew who he was, is presumptuous and speculative. It’s always been the prerogative of the scriptwriter and the director to give as much or less information as they want to their actors so the actors can prepare for their scenes.  It was entirely LOGICAL and PRUDENTIAL for the director and scriptwriter to withhold critical details from RJY if they felt that his facial gestures, body movements, and overall acting performance would give away the conclusion.  As RJY himself said, IT WAS HARDER FOR HIM TO FILM, once he discovered that he wasn’t the chosen husband. The director and scriptwriter might have both anticipated this burden on his acting ability, so they purposely withheld the information from him.

Last point. Allegedly, Hyeri cried a lot during the filming of the proposal scene. This kind of news reminded me of that rumor that circulated here and some sites that the husband had to be, must be, definitely be, 100%  guaranteed to be JH because the Future Husband was wearing a leather bomber jacket, a jacket of the Air Force of the SK. Whatever happened to that piece of misinformation? 

Whether or not Hyeri cried during the filming of Episode 18 is irrelevant to the script. It’s totally reasonable for a young actress in her breakout show to feel heavy emotions at the end of the taping. However, to infer or imply that she resented/questioned the script for its trajectory or the husband choice is again presumptuous, speculative and unsubstantiated.

Noteworthy: Unless the director used a body double, or he was filming out-of-sequence, Hyeri taped hers and TK’s Episode 17 kiss scene BEFORE the Episode 18 episode JH proposal. SHE would have known that JH wasn’t the husband when she kissed TK.   lol. ;)

Question 5: But she treats him like a mother takes care of a helpless son?!! 
Answer: Swoon-worthy actions go both ways. 

Frankly, I was disturbed by the latent sexism when people dismissed DS’ loving care for TK as nothing more than motherly.  I sensed a double standard going on there.  

People see JH waiting for DS with an umbrella at 1AM, and they collectively sigh, “Howwww romantic!” They see SW scrambling around the neighborhood to meet Bora at odd hours of the night, and they nod their heads saying “Yes, that’s true love, making time to meet her.” They see TK’s dad playing paper dolls with Jinjjo while sporting pigtails in his hair, and they scream, “SW’s umma! Marry him quickly!” They see TK carrying DS in a BRIDAL carry (side-eyeing people who called it princess carry) and they post a gazillion times about it.

Seriously, ladies: please don’t give our women-kind short shrift here. As a feminist, it annoys me that viewers see DS’ affections as "motherly". They see that DS --

- lugged excess luggage to China to prepare for TK’s comfort, 
- risked incurring the wrath of her sister [lol] by bringing the electric blanket they shared to China 
- COLOR-coordinated TK’s own clothes to wear, [when she didn’t even bother to choose the color of JH’s pink shirt],
- berated management for a better room for TK [note: while she remained in her freezing room], 
- stood out in the cold for an hour for his fusion Asian cuisine, 
- pestered the concierge for unburnt eggs for TS [when there was a perfectly buffet breakfast available], 
- waited for more than 10 hours for TK’s game to finish while sitting on an uncomfortable chair, 

yet they scoff at HER time, energy, and effort as nothing but maternal instincts.

Spoiler

reply%201988%20maternal_zpsts1lawei.jpg%

lol. What more did she have to do to prove that she liked this guy IN SECRET for a long time? 

If we can deemed those small, occasional, solicitous gestures of the guys as swoon-worthy and romantic, then we should apply the same standards when a girl does swoon-worthy and romantic gestures for a guy. 

And take note: the scriptwriter herself hinted that DS’ feelings weren't motherly at all.  Why do you think she included this tidbit info that DS borrowed TK’s pink sweater? ☺
She did that to emphasize that DS did NOT feel at all parental towards TK. Girlfriends borrow their boyfriends jackets, hoodies, sweatshirts, etc. all the time. I should know, because I raised two sons. Their college sweatshirts and sports jerseys will disappear because their GFs borrow them…only to reappear after the break-up. lol.

Worries about her appearance + Borrows his sweater = feeling maternal?
Spoiler

reply%201988%20maternal2_zps4ncrmaxo.jpg

Google this “girlfriends wearing boyfriends clothes” and see how many articles pop-up. Then for comparison, google this “moms wearing sons clothes”.  lol.  

@shooastrid,  JH uses a linear storyline so his story is easy to track; his development follows a forward progression, just like Chinese checkers game. However most viewers won’t be able to see the development in Taec’s narrative because the scriptwriter cleverly employed the endgame strategy of real-life baduk genius Lee ChangHo. Isn’t LCH known for his simple but subtle moves? LCH gains spaces on the board slowly but steadily until he has covered the most ground. 

This strategy is mirrored by Taec. He won over DS by slowing and steadily acquiring all the “spaces” of her heart. Since his every move was a commitment (beginning with that phone call on the First Snowfall in 1988), he took his sweet time to establish his presence in her life. I’ll write more about baduk later.  

And oh I almost forgot: TK's slow and steady, too...like that turtle ornament he gave to DS.

2 hours ago, trvasohy said:

Lol i know we shouldn't be discussing this, but it's just sad for me to see the intend of the writer making this into family drama considered failed. The trademark is always there, and it will be the most discussed topic since it was the mystery that keeps lots of young viewers tuned in. But still, the family part is definitely the most important part, gets the most of the airtime, and that's why the romance didn't get as much development and conflict as 1994 one. The main draw of this drama is the family conflict and the family's youth that has been gone. That's why we don't even touch the husband topic in the first episode, and gets a lot of hidden clues from the starts abt who the husband is. The husband plot wrapped up in 18 and 19, then the last episode focus on the family conflict between bora-sunwoo and their dad, also the youth that has been gone.

oh i didnt mean the family part of the drama failed.. the family part was the best thing about the show..(it saved the show for me) its just the romance part is where it went wrong..

so wrong that fans are absolutly trashing the show.. she really screwed it up, to get reactions the show is getting..

such a shame

42 minutes ago, deeand said:

Edited to add: And if you listen to the ending segment of Episode 18, at 1:41: 18: you’ll hear DR recounting a story about JB found something in his pocket. “You know, back then, JB didn’t know it was in his pocket.”  With this scriptwriter, seemingly irrelevant tidbits like this one, may become important to the resolution of the chocolate mystery.

Actually, that was an error in the subs. DR talked about when he didn't realize there was a cube in JB's pocket. 

The cube he is referring to is the Rubiks cube in JB's pocket in the tutoring scene in Episode 4. 

If you rewatch that scene, there's something protruding out of his pants, giving the illusion that he is having an... erection. 

Netizens noted this as well back then, and DR is bringing this up again that he too thought there was something going on in JB's pants, when in fact it was the cube. This is a scene of DR's sex joke with his buddies. 

There were some good points that were made on this forum. But there were definitely many stretches that were also shared making connections for things that are not there. Just making that correction. 

8 hours ago, luluponyazn said:

So I read something on the AM88 Baidu bar, and it gave me goosebumps from how meticulously this drama was laid out from the beginning, so I went back and traced some of the baduk analogies throughout the series.

I'm sure most of you have read about the 4'33" by John Cage and clock imagery that's threaded throughout the series as foreshadowing for Taek, but there is also another running thread of baduk analogies. 

In the promotional poster, JH is wearing black, while Taek is wearing white, representing the 2 sides of Baduk.

The black player always makes the first move, and thus, JH is the first contender that was introduced to us. 

Since the black player has the advantage of making the first move, during early decades, black players statistically win most games, and it was later international convention during the 70's/80's for the black player to compensate 5.5 komi (points) to the white player to offset that advantage. 

Taek was formally introduced as husband contender in the 6th episode, which kind of means that he had the disadvantage of losing 5.5 komi (5.5 episodes) compared to the black player, JH.

I went back and checked, and this imagery was repeated multiple times during critical junctions in the love triangle storyline. 

In episode 9, when we first got a different glimpse of DS while she was in China with Taek and introduced to the couple pictures. Take was wearing a white shirt, while JH was a black shirt.

In another critical moment for the love triangle during ep 18 at the Lee Jung Hwan concert. JH was wearing a black shirt, while Taek was wearing a white shirt. 

Since JH never gave Taek those 5.5 komi back to offset his beginner's advantage, the poster argued that Taek was so strong as the husband contender that he didn't need to have those 5.5 komi (5.5 episodes) given back to him to eventually secure his victory in the husband (baduk) race. 

This was further corroborated in the 6th episode, when his teacher noted that while Taek traditionally do better as the white player, he was playing black during the game in the 6th episode, but he still won. So even while Taek had all the disadvantages, whether it was in his professional game or his romantic game, he was still the eventual victor. 

Also from ep 15, when DS's crush on JH officially ended, there was an interesting conversation between Taek and his opponent. Note here, Taek was playing black (his disadvantaged color), while the other player was playing white. 

The timing of this conversation marked the turning point in the love line, when JH officially lost his beginner's advantage to Taek due to previous choices he'd made, and also timed well with how DS's behavior towards Taek began to have more marked changes. 

Add to the fact that Taek was based on the real life baduk legend, Lee Chang-Ho, who was known for his simple playing style without much flashiness but wins by his steadiness and meticulous calculations. Thus, his games often appear simple and tepid during the beginning, and his eventual victory only becomes apparent towards the end, which echoes with Taek's rising strength as the husband contender with each subsequent episode. 

Here are some information on Lee Chang-Ho from Wiki for those unfamiliar with baduk. 

Anyways, just mind blown. :dizzy:

wow,,, indeed mind blowing. I think the writer is indeed a genius writer. I think she should write a good mystery thriller drama or movie anything it is I will root on her next project.

13 minutes ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

Actually, that was an error in the subs. DR talked about when he didn't realize there was a cube in JB's pocket. 

The cube he is referring to is the Rubiks cube in JB's pocket in the tutoring scene in Episode 4. 

If you rewatch that scene, there's something protruding out of his pants, giving the illusion that he is having an... erection. 

Netizens noted this as well back then, and DR is bringing this up again that he too thought there was something going on in JB's pants, when in fact it was the cube. This is a scene of DR's sex joke with his buddies. 

There were some good points that were made on this forum. But there were definitely many stretches that were also shared making connections for things that are not there. Just making that correction. 

wow... thank you for your correction :lol: I'll check out later,

After the ending, I am like, wow, I've been fooled for the last three months. I was totally convinced that JH is the husband that I passed so many hints. I think they are all false, they are all distractions just to make us believe that the husband is Taek while the the true husband is JH. But at the end it turned out that the husband is Taek, Taek is the real husband while we were fooled that JH is the one. Daebak! I think the scriptwriter did a really good job, overall the drama was really good. From my point of view, the fact that Taek is the husband was decided from the beginning. When I watch ep 19, all of the Taek DS moments flashback and I am like, S*** this is real. 

The secret Santa game, they said if a couple is the Santa of each other then they will be husband and wife right, they are SW-BR and DS-Taek

The pink gloves, DS chose Taek's one over JH

Before they went to Beijing for the first time, Taek's father said they can live very well together

DS told Taek to marry her in the future....

When I was watching, I'm just like... phew... you're just trying to deceive me, it's JH, it's JH the husband.

Taek is the only one that DS likes without knowing whether he likes her or not. Or to be exact, she thinks he knows nothing about love or he likes another girl, since he said he is going to confess and it's not her who receive the confession. She loves him secretly for so many years. I know that either Taek or JH is the husband it's still be heartbreaking for me to watch the other. But it's DS heart after all, whatever makes her happy makes me happy. I was so frustrated to see JH hesitate to confess. I wish I could have seen more of JH, his life, his love, his family... Geez, this man, he gives up his first love for his friend, his youth for the nation, his career choice for his brother.... 

I love all three Reply Series. They are all watch-worthy to me, they all are well-executed and bring happiness and joy to us. Thank you the team and the Soompi fellows to share your thoughts and emotions here.

Come to think of it, all the parent's wishes and dreams from EP17 is granted.

- JH's Mom wishes JB to enter college. Then he does. :lol:

- JH's Mom is worrying about JH's stoic and brusque personality. Then on EP18 and EP19 they showed us JH's romantic personality, both toward his first love and his family. :blush:

- DR's dad wishes for his son to get a grip. Then DR shows he can open a new location for their restaurant and finds success. B)

- Taek's dad wishes his son to stop sleeping pills and not to keep his emotion inside. Then by dating DS, all of his dad's worries is solved. :heart:

- Sunwoo's mom wishes his son to be more open and flexible. Then she's surprised when his son suddenly mature and wishes to get married even with the disadvantage from the law side. ;)

- DS's mom wishes her daughter to succeed. And as tough as it is, she succeed in becoming a stewardess. :D

8 minutes ago, greentea3berry said:

The secret Santa game, they said if a couple is the Santa of each other then they will be husband and wife right, they are SW-BR and DS-Taek

The pink gloves, DS chose Taek's one over JH

Before they went to Beijing for the first time, Taek's father said they can live very well together

DS told Taek to marry her in the future....

When I was watching, I'm just like... phew... you're just trying to deceive me, it's JH, it's JH the husband.

LOL the writer such a troll.. 

9 minutes ago, greentea3berry said:

Taek is the only one that DS likes without knowing whether he likes her or not. Or to be exact, she thinks he knows nothing about love or he likes another girl, since he said he is going to confess and it's not her who receive the confession. She loves him secretly for so many years. I know that either Taek or JH is the husband it's still be heartbreaking for me to watch the other. But it's DS heart after all, whatever makes her happy makes me happy. I was so frustrated to see JH hesitate to confess. I wish I could have seen more of JH, his life, his love, his family... Geez, this man, he gives up his first love for his friend, his youth for the nation, his career choice for his brother.... 

totally agree...

salut for junghwan... 

41 minutes ago, greentea3berry said:

Just a quick note. For the manitto, our love triangle... had a manitto triangle as well. Taek had Deok Sun, yes....  but Deok Sun had Jung Hwan, and Jung Hwan had Taek. 

That glove/mittens thing, though.... :) 

Ahhh... I'm re-watching this drama over again... and I love everyone all the more <3

On January 20, 2016 at 3:52 AM, melissala said:

Well, I hope netizens keep bitching and complaining and maybe we'll get a short drama picking up after Bora's wedding.  I don't mind. 

And I think the 1 star rating is pretty petty and mean spirited though.  I saw on Daum that fans were fighting back trying to raise it up though. 

I hope not.

I don't think you should reward bad behavior.

The writer told the story she wanted to tell. If they don't like it she shouldn't legitimize their caterwauling by pandering to their specific vision.

Let them soothe themselves with fanfic.

I can't image how PBG might feel with segments of the fandom throwing tantrums like spoilt willful children.

THis next comment isn't nice.

Spoiler

I'm beginning to think the ungrateful, entitled, belligerent fans are too stupid to appreciate the drama the writer wrote.

It's like some one screaming that there is no 'tea" while there is a 'latte' at their elbow. I get it. I don't drink coffee. But I know that coffee is great with some people.  Instead of kicking up a fuss, I'd go to a tea shop and get my damn tea, or hang out with friends and be quiet while they drink their latte.

THE JH-DS fannuts (ungrateful, entitled, belligerent fans) are just being nasty and vindictive.

If you don't make a move for the girl you don't get the girl because telepathy IS NOT THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE, unless you ar reading fantasy or science fiction. No action gets no reaction. That's how life works.  Maybe the fannuts are mad because they never DO anything towards love themselves and want someone to confirm their delusion that they will get their beloved despite their ineffectual inertia. 

Next ReplyXXXX the writer should make sure no one finds love. That they all die young separately, alone, lonely in different parts of the globe and before they separate they should have an epic falling out that they never reconcile before, during, or after their deaths.

And I watch it and laugh, and laugh, and laugh until I'm in danger of dying from shortness of breath.

Damn ingratitude!

Archived