[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

To celebrate the thread's 500th page...

음성듣기

maxresdefault-650(7).jpg
Park Bo-gum in "Sunkist Cocktail" commercial

TV drama "Reply 1988," which ended Saturday with a huge nationwide following, not only brought popularity to its cast but also proved its cash power in terms of commercials.

TV commercials slotted alongside the hit drama on cable network tvN cost close to 12.5 million won ($10,000), according to Joy New 24. The price is the most expensive for commercials on Korean television, which air before MBC's variety show "Infinite Challenge" every Saturday evening.

Commercials for cable network programs have lower price rates than those on broadcast channels MBC, KBS and SBS. But "Reply 1988" became so popular that its commercials became as expensive as the prime shows on the broadcast networks.

maxresdefault-(4)-650(0).jpg
Lee Dong-hwi in LG Uplus IoT commercial

Since last November when the first episode aired, the drama has raked in more than 17 billion won ($14 million) in commercials.

The drama also topped video-on-demand (VOD) rankings on CJ E&M, recording more than 5 billion won ($4.1 million) in sales.

With its original sound track album -- containing songs that topped online music charts for weeks -- on sale now, the drama is looking to bring in more than 22 billion won ($18.1 million) overall, a record for a cable network program.

style_568dcfb11d645-650.jpg
Ryu Jun-yeol in Bean Paul commercial

The drama's cast have become Triple-A advertising models. Lee Hyeri, who played the lead female character "Seong Deok-seon," has earned almost 6 billion won ($4.9 million) modeling for more than 20 advertisements.

Ryu Jun-yeol, Park Bo-gum and Lee Dong-hwi, who portrayed high school student Seong's friends, have all joined the "hot model" list. Together they have signed up for almost 70 advertisements.

x

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know for some netizen (including me!) the ending was so .... meh~

it's not about the final husband! but we didnt get the proper ending for our beloved ssangmundong family!!

i do feel disappointed for the husband 'thing' but my love for Ssangmundong family r bigger!!

i love their family story so much (they always got me teary in each eps), i love every each charcter played so well by the actors & actresses (standing applause!!), i love the OST (it became my daily playlist for this 2,5 months) i love kdrama but i never fell this hard in the past!

so i can this so loud REPLY 1988 ARE THE BEST KDRAMA EVER!!

also bcs of R88 i met RYU JUNYEOL! he's such a gems <3 <3 <3

for all #teamtaek congratulatiooon you got the girl!

for all #teamjunghwan congratulatiooon we got gazillion netizen loveee!!

ps: for all of you who still sad or didnt want to watch the last eps! be strong!! watch the final and move on!! its just a bad ending not a bad drama :) you also must watch Ryu Junyeol V-app today, and heard what he said about Reply 1988! that's a magical healing :'''')

I was rewatching 19 and I thought we could share some funny scenes from the last two episodes.  I busted a gut in my rematch when cheetah was telling the ajumas about menopause and she she reaches for a sweet potato and dyas"which one is a good one?"  a little suggestive wasn't it?

9 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

Did you know there is a new wedding picture floating around the internet? Hahahhaha

How can block this picture from my mind. Whoever photoshopped it, made theit heads look weird somehow for the body.....:blink:

Somehow .. I hate how some people called Jung Hwan as 'second male lead'.

The more I think about it, it's all about Jung Hwan for me. This drama focus wasn't about love only, I know. It's about family and friendship as well. But when it comes to LOVE part, I think it's about Jung Hwan's story and his first love. Not DS's husband hunting.

Gezz, talk about tvN Reply series is so exciting and never seem enough.

MY BITTERSWEET GOODBYE TO R88

R88 ended...

JH is not the husband...

I was so hurt about it :tears:

During ep19 I was in denial, after ep19 there was the anger, waiting for ep20 I was still hoping - that 1% possibility that JH was the husband was my heart bargaining with my mind – then ep20 aired and I was depressed...

this morning after RJY Vapp I finally can accept the ending... I'm still not liking it but I accept it.

RJY talked about a lot of things and he really is a cute and funny boy ( the way he ranked the episodes and put episode 10 on low due to Taek's confession is too cute) and I was so touched that he was so emotional while talking about his mom in R88 and about the love of his fans, but what really made me accept R88 ending are his words about the husband... I'll copy some parts:

• RJY sincerely thought he was going to be the husband. Again no one told him this but that's what he thought and believed would happen. He said he doesn't know why he wasn't the husband neither LOL. He and PBG never talked about the husband game but him being it was what he thought/believed.

• He said that Junghwan wasn't a part of Deok Sun and Teak's love story. That Junghwan told his own love (and never meant to be) story.

• He was informed he would not be the husband during ep 18 filming. A bit of time before the confession filming he was informed of this and he was genuinely surprised that he wasn't going to be the husband. He said episode 18 confession was his favorite scene and that he put a lot in it to try and convey how much Junghwan really loved Deok Sun.

• He said the atmosphere during that filming was gloomy and down. Hyeri cried a lot during the filming of the confession and that they had to stop shooting to calm her down and then continue filming (obviously because she wasn't supposed to cry during it LOL)

• He and Hyeri had wondered and discussed when their first kiss would be

• He thought Deok Sun and Junghwan's first kiss would be in episode 5, but we got the umbrella scene.

So that's it, what the husband hunt was for 2 of the 3 people of the triangle...

RJY and Hyeri were sure about JH being the husband too, they talked about their kiss scenes more than once ( it's a pity for Hyeri that she didn't get a change to kiss RJY's lips) and they were both extremely sad when the writer told them who the husband was during the filming of ep18... that's all I need to be happy again with most of R88.

It' s good to know that what I saw it's what the actors ( RJY, Hyeri, the actor that played NE and even little JJ) were feeling and living and that I – and it seems more than half R88 viewers - was not completely blind during the last months.

I don't know why the writer decided that JH was not the husband, but based on what I saw and what the actors lived ( poor Hyeri crying so much that they needed to stop filming) I know in my heart and in my mind that the husband from ep1 to ep18 is JH (the JH played by RJY and the adult husband played by KJH) and I know in my mind that the husband from ep19 and 20 is Taek and I accept it: Taek can have 2 episodes and the husband trophy, JH has R88 first lead love story and that's more than enough...

and I'll just remember JH as the most beautiful character in R88: the bus scenes ( every single one of them), the umbrella scene, the pink shirt scene, the alley scene, the confession, all the scenes when JH smirked at DS when she was not watching... these are scenes that no theory or insightful analysis can erase.

I'm only sorry that the writer decided to be disloyal to her words with the ending because I really liked what she wrote in R97

Yoon-jae: “A person’s heart can’t be turned on and off like a switch. Once it’s turned on… it won’t turn off. I like Shi-won. I sincerely want to marry her

Maybe the writer forgot about it when she decided that JH's heart can be turned on and off at the end of ep18 or maybe she didn't care much about all the beautiful moments between JH and DS  that I just remembered or about more than half  R88 viewers or maybe she wanted DS to like everyone that likes her and forgot about the time DR to her to like someone not just because he likes her or maybe she just wanted to show what a great person JH was in 18 episodes and then she forgot about him while writing the last episodes, so she just let RJY do a cameo in ep19 and ep20 - this seems so much a last minute decision... I really don't know, but what I know is that the ending is rushed:

• JH is a major character and he only had a few minutes screentime in the end, we still don't know what happened in his life after ep 18: is he married? Is he happy? Is he still a pilot? We'll never know

• DR was forgotten too, someone said that maybe he has a gf but I don't know, we didn't see much of him too

• DS/Taek love story was left to the viewers imagination: what happened after they lied to all their family about their date? How did they tell their family that they were going to marry? What about the double-in-law problem? Do they have kids? Is DS still working in the future? What about Taek? Of course he is still famous, but is he still playing baduk or did he quit?

• Why did all the families left their neighbor? Did the families stay in touch after the moving?

Since this R88 end it's so different from R97 and R94 - where everyone had a conclusion - the only thing that seems credible to me is that the writer didn't know what to do with the ending and just put together a story at the last minute, the only great end in ep20 is SW and BR wedding - they were a couple meant to be since the start - and JB and DS's friend love story

Anyway like I said I'm still not liking it but I accept R88 end for what it is: a rushed, messy and incomplete ending.

P.S. Thanks to all the JH shipper that were there for me during these difficult last days... I love you all and I want to share one more time a group hug with you... hoping to see you all soon chingus for now I'll say:

goodbye Kim family ( the best family ever)

goodbye ssangmundong

and welcome RJY.

I personally do not understand why JH not ending up with DS is so tragic.

First, Taek is very introverted. It was unlikely for Taek to marry someone in his own (the real model for Taek married a reporter who wanted to marry him for his money and fame), and many women felt they had to protect Taek, something like a motherly feeling.

Second, JB is now a famous guy. He is also good at making money, and he also married a rich girl. Since JH was more able than JB, it is unlikely that JH would be doing badly. The worst he would be is an airline pilot which is not too bad of a position, although more likely he would probably be helping his brother's enterprise.

JH would probably have married someone whose social background would be commensurate with JB's advanced position, and the producers decided it would be better to not make it specific to cloud out the memory of JH to the viewers.

due to work I had to watch both of last 2 episode on 16 Jan 2016 and what a beautiful date was that I will happily remember it !

because simply I am so much into Taek character and him being coupled with DS :wub: 

I am really so happy with the ending , true loved if there were more scenes of the couple but it's ok to be ended this way than other way around :P ! ( no hate please :lol:

this show is just made amazingly ! hat off to the producing team again ,, because though it was the same game but done completely in a different way! 

I liked the best that I have seen in DS the young of many girls where first you do not realize the attraction of others and then be affected by what the people could say, but then eventually your heart will give you the most sincere guidance ! 

About Taek Character, PBG did an excellent job specially in portraying this one after his role in I remember you! 

As a K-drama fan for 7 years, I used to love winter dramas the most as winter my favorite season , so this one was my warmest gift for 2015-16 winter :wub: 

Also, despite in my opinion 2015 was not that great in term of K-drama productions like 2014 , but it was started in a very special way with me fangirling over pinocchio and Healer to end with this warmth of Reply 1988 !

2049732386 49530e7c IMG 5215 (1)

giff cto

1 hour ago, emy_rose said:

MY BITTERSWEET GOODBYE TO R88

R88 ended...

JH is not the husband...

I was so hurt about it :tears:

During ep19 I was in denial, after ep19 there was the anger, waiting for ep20 I was still hoping - that 1% possibility that JH was the husband was my heart bargaining with my mind – then ep20 aired and I was depressed...

this morning after RJY Vapp I finally can accept the ending... I'm still not liking it but I accept it.

RJY talked about a lot of things and he really is a cute and funny boy ( the way he ranked the episodes and put episode 10 on low due to Taek's confession is too cute) and I was so touched that he was so emotional while talking about his mom in R88 and about the love of his fans, but what really made me accept R88 ending are his words about the husband... I'll copy some parts of MrsSoJiSub's list:

• RJY sincerely thought he was going to be the husband. Again no one told him this but that's what he thought and believed would happen. He said he doesn't know why he wasn't the husband neither LOL. He and PBG never talked about the husband game but him being it was what he thought/believed.

• He said that Junghwan wasn't a part of Deok Sun and Teak's love story. That Junghwan told his own love (and never meant to be) story.

• He was informed he would not be the husband during ep 18 filming. A bit of time before the confession filming he was informed of this and he was genuinely surprised that he wasn't going to be the husband. He said episode 18 confession was his favorite scene and that he put a lot in it to try and convey how much Junghwan really loved Deok Sun.

• He said the atmosphere during that filming was gloomy and down. Hyeri cried a lot during the filming of the confession and that they had to stop shooting to calm her down and then continue filming (obviously because she wasn't supposed to cry during it LOL) I wonder if sweet puppy PBG was there? Man he would cry so bad...

• He and Hyeri had wondered and discussed when their first kiss would be

• He thought Deok Sun and Junghwan's first kiss would be in episode 5, but we got the umbrella scene

So that's is, what the husband hunt was for 2 of the 3 people of the triangle...

RJY and Hyeri were sure about JH being the husband too, they talked about their kiss scenes more than once ( it's a pity for Hyeri that she didn't get a change to kiss RJY's lips) and they were both extremely sad when the writer told them who the husband was during the filming of ep18... that's all I need to be happy again with most of R88.

It' s good to know that what I saw it's what the actors ( RJY, Hyeri, the actor that played NE and even little JJ) were feeling and living and that I – and it seems more than half R88 viewers - was not completely blind during the last months.

I don't know why the writer decided that JH was not the husband, but based on what I saw and what the actors lived ( poor Hyeri crying so much that they needed to stop filming) I know in my heart and in my mind that the husband from ep1 to ep18 is JH (the JH played by RJY and the adult husband played by KJH) and I know in my mind that the husband from ep19 and 20 is Taek and I accept it: Taek can have 2 episodes and the husband trophy, JH has R88 first lead love story and that's more than enough...

and I'll just remember JH as the most beautiful character in R88: the bus scenes ( every single one of them), the umbrella scene, the pink shirt scene, the alley scene, the confession, all the scenes when JH smirked at DS when she was not watching... these are scenes that no theory or insightful analysis can erase.

I'm only sorry that the writer decided to be disloyal to her words with the ending because I really liked what she wrote in R97

Maybe the writer forgot about it when she decided that JH's heart can be turned on and off at the end of ep18 or maybe she didn't care much about all the beautiful moments between JH and DS  that I just remembered or about more than half  R88 viewers or maybe she just wanted to show what a great person JH was in 18 episodes and that forget about him while writing the last episodes, so she just let RJY do a cameo in ep19 and ep20 - this seems so much a last minute decision... I really don't know, but what I know is that the ending is rushed:

• JH is a major character and he only had a few minutes screentime in the end, we still don't know what happened in his life after ep 18: is he married? Is he happy? Is he still a pilot? We'll never know

• DR was forgotten too, someone said that maybe he has a gf but I don't know, we didn't see much of him too

• DS/Taek love story was left to the viewers imagination: what happened after they lied to all their family about their date? How did they tell their family that they were going to marry? What about the double-in-law problem? Do they have kids? Is DS still working in the future? What about Taek? Of course he is still famous, but is he still playing baduk or did he quit?

• Why did all the families left their neighbor? Did the families stay in touch after the moving?

Since this R88 end it's so different from R97 and R94 - where everyone had a conclusion - the only thing that seems credible to me is that the writer didn't know what to do with the ending and just put together a story at the last minute, the only great end in ep20 is SW and BR wedding - they were a couple meant to be since the start - and JB and DS's friend love story

Anyway like I said I'm still not liking it but I accept R88 end for what it is: a rushed, messy and incomplete ending.

P.S. Thanks to all the JH shipper that were there for me during these difficult last days... I love you all and I want to share one more time a group hug with you... hoping to see you all soon chingus for now I'll say goodbye Kim family ( the best family ever), goodbye ssangmundong and welcome RJY.

Oh why your post always have big impact for me. Cuz now im crying like a river. I dont hate the writter choice to make taek as husband. But for me JH will always be the best husband for DS.

Oh i dont know how long i can cure this broken heart...

I've heard of another version for the finale lately. Anyway the drama actually ended, but the feeling of incompletion, emptiness and rushness i've been experiencing for the last 24 hours after watching ep 20 makes me share it with you. It was a spoiler elsewhere after ep 19 aired (and was deleted right then). And this is how the story goes:

Spoiler

1) Based on a true story: a young pilot whose surname is Kim died in an air crash while trying to fly the craft away from a building. He was under 30 then, had a brother with heart issues (just like JB) and their parents were preparing for 30-year anniversary. So (according to this source) originally Kim Jung Hwan was destinied to die. The kiss scene at the airport with DS, the parents' wedding, the flashback when he secretly cared for his first love, etc are imaginations and recalls at his last minute.

2) About how Taek finds out DS's secret about her first love with SW, it was revealed by JH when Taek came to see him at the camp. Acc to the spoiler, T came and spent a night there with JH, they talked about DS, her feelings for SW at first, when T started his feelings for DS (then comes the flashback of childhood as seen in ep 20). JH gave Taek the ring, telling him to care for DS and give it to DS on behalf of him (that's why someone here and there sees something inside DS's pink sweater - in the scene she greeted Taek at the gate and they hugged - it's supposed to be the ring, she wears it with her necklace). The ring wasn't left unanswered as we have been wondering all the time!

3) A week later (after Taek's visit), Hwan came home. SW and BR dating was unveiled. The parents protested while the children supported them. Taek and DS went out for movie, holding hands and kissed (DS kissed T to the cheek and he smiled :))). DS came in and see Hwan, he intended to say something to her but hesitated, instead told her that he wished her happiness; she wished him the same,

4) The night Hwan came back to the camp, mother Mi Ran suddenly felt uneasy and anxious. She cried right after the moment he's gone (like how we saw in ep 20).Father Kim comforted her and the old couple talked about JB-JH childhood.

5) The accident happened. JH died in the crash. Mother Mi Ran fainted, JB had a heart attack, Taek cancelled a baduk competition, DS came back from Japan. The block suddenly became dreary. The mothers cried, hugging eachother. The fathers sadly sat together, drank wine and sighed. Mother Mi Ran didn't cry, staring at the sky. The children looked older. Taek hugged DS when she was crying, BR leaned on SW's shoulder, both crying. DR was the host of the funeral, did not cry, looked like a really grown-up man. JB made a lot of blue paper planes with his and his brother's face on their wings. Mi Ok was beside him then. DR silently stood before Hwan's photograph, cried and shouted at him, remembering every moment between them since they were kids then went to school etc.

The narration goes: "The ones we love will not be with us forever. Someday they will surely leave us. Through loss we grow up" (or something like that).

After the funeral, the block was still flooded with sadness. Mother Mi Ran was ill, sleepless and talked less. She often dreamed of JH coming back at night, woke up and went to the living room to wait for him(as a scene in ep 20). Father Kim woke up with her and they sat there for a very long time.

7) DS worn the ring with her necklace as a memory to the past. (Taek gave it to her after the funeral).

8) SW and BR decided to get married. While BR's mother seemed unapproved, mother Mi Ran told her: "Let the children do whatever makes them happy, we can't be with them for the whole lifetime." Then the wedding took place without JH's attendence (of course!). DR, as the host, introduced a blank chair beside Taek as JH's seat, and in every wedding then, they will leave him a chair so that he can share the happiness with them. The father-daughter issues solved, everyone (and the blank chair) took a photo together.

9) After a match in China, Taek came home and the doves (Taek-Sun) met at the gate (as in ep 20). Taek told DS that he was introduced to a very beautiful girl that day, but he was busy looking after his cat which is cruel and jealousy but very pretty, that's why he couldn't go out with that girl. DS pinched him, telling him that he recently has become more soapy. He said "I am normally a man. Do you want to be Mrs Choi soon by provoking me like this?" (haha cheesy). Then he said with seriousness that it's time they changed their relationship status.

10) T & DS came to visit JH's grave, brought him white daisy and informed him of their wedding in Jan. They also told him about their family moving out due to the clearance plan, SW became a baby sitter :))), JB and MO on honeymoon, DR is dating and opened more restaurants. They recalled it when they announced the wedding to their parents, DS's appa and omma were overjoyed, repeatedly asked them if Taekie had been forced and terrorized to get married with DS (sheep sound and DS stupid face). The friends didn't surprise at all. DR said: "You two always hold hands and hug in the front gate, we're not blind not knowing anything." :))

11) The families really moved out. Mother Mi Ran stood in Hwan's room, father Kim led her out. Ssangmundong was abandoned, Taek's room door's open and we see again the gang watched a movie together - as the last scenes on ep 20 last night.

According to the source, too, when asked to change the script (that's why we had ep 17 delayed), the writer didn't want to change the ending, thus she just cut the scenes related to the accident. This means, she just didn't mention the accident, yet whether it happened or not remains unanswered.

It's really a complete and fully answered ending to me. Though it's sad, but such is life.

A small detail i've been wondering since the very first episodes: the Kim family suddenly won the lottery and their life changed - but they didn't have to exchange anything for it. To my opinion, there's no such thing like a grant from God. It's always trade-off. To escape from poverty, the Kims should have exchanged something as trade-off - and the bigger the prize is, the more precious thing they will have to pay - in this case (well i'd rather not say - it's so painful).

1 minute ago, kaqueski said:

@123konica I cant imagine What would be the reactions if it happen... Now im convinced the writer is a masochist/saddist lolol. 

@kaqueski: i think it's gonna be fine, coz JH won't become so blurred as we see it the last 2 episodes. Sacrifying, especially for the homeland is the peak symbol of youth, isn't it? As far as I know, the husband was meant to be Taek from beginning to end, but the way character Jung Hwan was built (so charming, so emotional and detailed) is the way the writer describes youth: brilliant, passionate yet sadly beatiful. I love the ost "Youthhood" coz I feel the same way about youth - bitter and sweet, sad and delightful at the same time. If JH did sacrify, everyone will remember him as a symbol of youth. The way he appeared in the last 2 episodes just showed us a silent, pitiful young boy with his unfinished first love which no one knows whether he's got over it :D. Everyone loves Jung Pal (and I do too), I do ask for his ending in this show, whatever ending though :((.

@123konica I am sorry I really had to ask where did you find this piece of info? I feel like someone is trying to sabotage the script/the writer/and the drama with these kind of news.This seems utterly ridiculous.I do not find any coherency in those passages.The writer who has calculatively and with care written the story for 16 episodes,won't go makjang route all of a sudden,.

Archived