[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

@SMP567

The indicated Poongsan Hong clan (풍산 홍씨 豊山洪氏), she will marry Hong Joo Won as he is from that clan

I am afraid Kang In Woo is not a historical character

Princess Jeongmyeong will gain her popularity (aged 35 in 1637 - historical records) among the Joseon population during 2nd Manchu Invasion (Dec 1636 - Jan 1637) in her benevolence & heroic act, (also adds fuel to fire to Injo hatred for her)

You can read in this paragraph

"정명공주는 1637년 병자호란 때(35세) 강화도로 피난 와 고려산 적석사에 피신해 있었다는 기록이 ‘강화사’에 있습니다. 피난 당시 갑곶나루로 건너려할 때 미리 공주의 금은보화를 실은 배가 기다리고 있자 “재화들을 다 내리고 백성들을 먼저 배에 태우라!”고 명하자 이를 본 사람들이 “과연 정명공주로다. 공주의 마음씀이 저러하니 그 아래 후손들이 반드시 번창할 것이다”고 말했다고 합니다."

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gerrytan8063

Yeah, I kind of figured In Woo is not the real person in the history.  They just created this romantic character to make a love triangle a typical K-drama can't go without!  Too bad the guy is so sweet though. Hope they don't kill him off at the end.

"Princess Jeongmyeong will gain her popularity (aged 35 in 1637 - historical records) among the Joseon population during 2nd Manchu Invasion (Dec 1636 - Jan 1637) in her benevolence & heroic act, (also adds fuel to fire to Injo hatred for her)"

Now that's interesting. I really love to see how the princess becomes a heroine and hopefully her activities in the drama will be real cases as recorded in the history.

Thanks again for the translation. 

This is a drama and many of it's characters such as In Woo are fictitious but they are what makes the drama a fun story. It is the creative weaving of known historical facts and fictional storyline which gives the plot its color. Many thanks to the members of this forum this drama for me has become entertaining and educational.

Guest MaknaeC

@zenya22

Yes that is correct son of concubines can't hold official rank.

Jeongjo continue with his grandfather Yeongjo's brainchild Tangpyeong policy (蕩平, 탕평) where political faction are given equal review, it is who is the best man capable for the job, Jeongjo continue by open the recruitment policy to those who were barred because of their social status

@gerrytan8063, thank you and I am liking Jeongjo already. good policy above.

​Yes, I also admire Jeongjo for his dream and policy that focus on a better society, his dream about fulfilling justice in society. He's a king that wanted to narrowing gap between rich and poor, noble and common people, etc. Jeongjo was open-minded and has some brilliant ideas for Joseon, that's why he's considered as one of the most visionary rulers of Joseon.

As far as I know, historian believe Jeongjo's strong leadership also influenced by his childhood story when he witnessed the conflict between his father, Crown Prince Sado and his grandfather, King Yeongjo, which eventually ends with Sado's death (starve to death inside a rice chest due to his own father, Yeongjo's order). 

@zenya22

Yes that is correct son of concubines can't hold official rank.

Jeongjo continue with his grandfather Yeongjo's brainchild Tangpyeong policy (蕩平, 탕평) where political faction are given equal review, it is who is the best man capable for the job, Jeongjo continue by open the recruitment policy to those who were barred because of their social status

@gerrytan8063, thank you and I am liking Jeongjo already. good policy above.

​Yes, I also admire Jeongjo for his dream and policy that focus on a better society, his dream about fulfilling justice in society. He's a king that wanted to narrowing gap between rich and poor, noble and common people, etc. Jeongjo was open-minded and has some brilliant ideas for Joseon, that's why he's considered as one of the most visionary rulers of Joseon.

As far as I know, historian believe Jeongjo's strong leadership also influenced by his childhood story when he witnessed the conflict between his father, Crown Prince Sado and his grandfather, King Yeongjo, which eventually ends with Sado's death (starve to death inside a rice chest due to his own father, Yeongjo's order). 

@MaknaeC, thank you for the information. I just watched a movie "The Fatal Encounter" which is about this king Jeongjo in Dramafever starring Hyun Bin. He is another actor who acts the king so well and so sexy. It is a good movie especially for the Hyun Bin fans.

@SMP567

Kang In Woo is the character from the "liberties of dramatic licence"

One needs to be careful in depicted historical figure as "villain", if they still have modern day descendant, you might liable to get sue for alleged historical inaccuracies.

For the example of descendants of Naval Commander Bae Seol sue the producers & scriptwriters of the movie Myeongnyang -  The Admiral, Roaring Current for historical inaccuracies depicting their ancestor in the movie

Separating historical film's fact from fiction

In the film, Naval commander Bae Seol (1551-1599), who became scared of the Japanese navy, tries to murder Yi Sun Sin, who was pushing for a battle against the Japanese instead of retreating and joining the army in the rear. But Bae Seol gets killed while running away. Did this really happen?

It is a fact that Bae Seol (1551-1599) ran away, but it is not a fact that he attempted to kill Yi Sun Sin. Bae Seol suffered from seasickness, was scared of water & wanted to avoid ocean battles. He ran away all the time when under Won Gyun’s command.

Bae Seol also took a passive attitude while serving Yi Sun Sin, & he finally ran away just before the battle. Differently from in the film, he was caught & killed while hiding in his hometown.

The scene where Bae Seol tries to murder Yi Sun Sin is not based on reality. Yi Sun Sin was able to win the Battle of Myeongnyang with a few ships because Bae Seol came back with 12 vessels after running away, which is very ironic.

The descendant debates that Bae Seol ran away after landing on a land with the permission of Admiral Yi to cure his illness (seasick), around 15 days before the Battle of Myeongnyang in 1597, according to the admiral’s “War Diary” & the "Records of King Seonjo." He was captured and beheaded by General Gwon-yul in Gumi, his hometown in 1599. In 1605, Bae Seol recovered his fame as a deserving retainer for his contribution during the Japanese invasion in 1592 (Imjin War).

Bae Seol’s modern descendants are numbered around 100,000. Some 70 households still live in the clan village in Seongju County, Gyeongsangbuk-do.

@SMP567

Kang In Woo is the character from the "liberties of dramatic license"

One needs to be careful in depicted historical figure as "villain", if they still have modern day descendant, you might liable to get sue for alleged historical inaccuracies.

@gerrytan8063, Thank you for the information and your consideration for telling us.

Should not MBC and the writers of the drama know about this? The viewers and followers of the drama go with what they are given. It is good that we have knowledgeable viewers like you who can give us information and we are grateful. But as the producer of the drama quoted in the article of the Korean Times, this is a "faction" (his word), a combination of fiction and historical facts. So they already know and letting the viewers know that what they can expect. There is a good discussion started and moving along pertaining to the characters of the drama. Some of them are factual and some fictitious.

With all due respect, you have mentioned a couple of times that Kang In Woo is a fictional character and we know that, so I am asking what is it about Kang In Woo a fictitious character and the discussion about Kang In Woo that seems to be a  liability concern?  Or is there any concern about any other villainous character in the drama being depicted wrongly by the writers of the drama? So should not the writers of the drama be informed?

Thank you so much @gerrytan8063 and @zenya22 for sharing your opinions on a sensitive issue.

Soompi is mainly a forum for entertainment. I think any opinions or discussion here can be self-clarified as for entertaining purposes. I do learn from both your debates and look forward to hearing more...

BTW, Bae Seol lawsuit is an interesting case study. Writers and producers of sageuk can benefit from it. The point here as Gerry mentioned is what criteria are used to determine Facts & Fictions.

"Bae Seol’s modern descendants are numbered around 100,000. Some 70 households still live in the clan village in Seongju County, Gyeongsangbuk-do."   

With those many descendants, it's bound to have someone who wants to stand up and make sure that the public info about their ancestor is correct. It is a controversial topic depending on who looks at it.

Thank you so much @gerrytan8063 and @zenya22 for sharing your opinions on a sensitive issue.Soompi is mainly a forum for entertainment. I think any opinions or discussion here can be self-clarified as for entertaining purposes. I do learn from both your debates and look forward to hearing more..

.BTW, Bae Seol lawsuit is an interesting case study. Writers and producers of sageuk can benefit from it. The point here as Gerry mentioned is what criteria are used to determine Facts & Fictions.
"Bae Seol’s modern descendants are numbered around 100,000. Some 70 households still live in the clan village in Seongju County, Gyeongsangbuk-do."   

@SMP567, thank you very much for your input regarding this matter. As viewers and participants of a forum we are not privy to info regarding the criteria for determining what is concern for liability or not and we don't know whose descendants are still alive and how many. That is good information to know.

My question though was why is the matter of In Woo who is a fictitious character a concern because @gerrytan8063 mentioned it twice and the 2nd time together with the "Baesol Case" example. I am just curious.

As you mentioned this is a forum for entertainment and we love to discuss about our and others interpretation of the characters and events in the drama. What is so entertaining about a forum is reading others interpretations or arguments regarding their biases, the characters or the events of the drama. I learn so much about the characters or events from these discussions, sometimes about something I have not intuited myself but others have.

The writers of the drama have been thorough in introducing and building the characters of the drama and their relationships, being that it is 50 episodes. So the excitement and anticipation for the grown up characters (factual or fictitious), their re-introduction and what they will do is hot. We want to see and talk about the princess as the princess, how she will relate to the king and her mother, the budding romances, rivalries and all the fiery events a drama could offer. So my concern is not to dampen the enthusiastic spirit of the discussions. So, may I request that if it is necessary to give information such as "In Woo not a factual person but a fictitious one" be given under SPOILERS if the other members of the forum agree. @SMP567, thank you again.

Kang In-woo (Han Joo-wan)

Turns into an evil ‘Kingmaker’ after being abandoned by love

The heir of a family whose riches exceed those of the royal family. In-woo has no interest in politics, and gave up being a civil officer early on. He wakes up late every day and loiters around, often appearing at shooting ranges and gibangs (courtesan’s house) of the capital. In-woo is flirtatious, and treats all women he comes across with affection. It seems as if he is wasting his life, but no one could have known that In-woo, who was, just a few years earlier, a renowned scholar, could undergo such big changes.

Kor-Chi: Hwajung forum (Baidu)

@SMP567,  I knew it would be him to turn evil after the princess denies him yet again and set out to put his own king with the help of his fathers money on the throne.. They need a puppet King how else will father continue to make his money.. 

Archived