[Drama 2015] Hwajung 화정

ChelseaS

[화정실록] '부대시참'? '능지처참'? 가장 끔찍한 형벌은 무엇이었을까 이미지-1

@MadraRua

Wow!!  Thanks so much for the research.  I bet nobody dares to challenge this and might just change their mind of doing bad for fear of the punishment.  What a genius invention of such simple but painful technique of torture!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MadraRua ouch!! that looks so painful, I was kicked on my shin once and I was crying rolling on the floor my brother got in a lot of trouble.  So that is why they scream. Humans can invent so many ways of hurting each other, if only they could put all that genius to make the world a better place... Thanks for your response.

@SMP567

"At the end of Ep 14, the way Hwa yi eats the sweet wrapping it with the white piece of paper and the way she serves tea to the king, isn't that a bit too feminine?....Her manner is not that of slave growing up in Japan.  It is well-refined and elegant.....Gwanghae is watching so intensely.....Why is the king mad?   

This is because Hwa Yi knows the etiquette of Royal Darye (다례, 茶禮) which is practice only in the Royal Family & some in Yanban class as tea is not drank further that those classes

Tea is drank with an accompanied of sweets & dessert

@gerrytan8063

​Thank you for your comments and the info on Korean tea ceremony, Darye. I've never heard about it and gone to check more on Wiki. Turn out, it is very interesting, different from Chinese and Japanese ones. :)
And yes, I was wondering whether Hwa yi remembers that she is disguised as a man. Therefore, in front of the king, she shouldn't have let her palace etiquette show up, right?
This is the 2nd time in front of Gwanghae that she gives out clues leading toward her identity. The 1st was when she met the king the first time she came to the weapon bureau. She stared at him fiercely unusual for a commoner to do so.  The king was already suspicious of her.
This time Gwanghae realizes this Hwa yi guy knows highclass Day-Tea etiquette. He is probably so frustrated with curiosity as to who this slave from Japan is...

I was also checking out her etiquette of course GW had to notice it..  He saw her eye contact with him when they meet again it was nothing friendly about them and she certainly wasn't bowing her head to him..      

​@valsava

She sure sends out lots of obvious messages to challenge the king.
It'll be OK if she wants him to recognize her, that she is not dead and has returned home.
But if she does not want him to find out she is still alive ( for the revenge purpose ), what she has been doing so far is really not smart. Gwanghae already feels something from looking at her. Just like you said, does she even think about it?  Or she is just plain mad with revenge.

Another thing.  What does she expect to happen when the king actually finds out she is his supposed-to-be-dead sister?  Is he going to be happy? Or is he going to have her exiled?  It doesn't look like she is prepared for that.

What a cliffhanger!!!!!!!!! Is she going to reveal her identity now??? Does she even have a plan??????

Also, please enlighten me, someone here mentioned that In Woo didn't love the princess, that it was all interest on his part....?? Where did you get this from? On last week's episode he clearly said he had to swallow his tears and show strength when he found out that the princess had died, because she loved her but also cared for his friend JW... I didn't see any evilness on his words, he seemed pretty genuine to me... am I missing something? I watch the series on Dramafever since they seem to be the fastest subbing, however I do know their subs are not really the best, since they skip a lot of dialogue and just summarize the main ideas onto English... does this have anything to do with me not getting this information about In Woo? Or is it just mere speculation from the forum poster?

And one more question... about Heo Gyun, was he around before, like on the first episodes? I remember when at the northern border, the King went to get him since he was working as his spy in Ming to get that gunpowder book... and it seems he's been working for the King as his most trustworthy undercover spy... But I honestly don't remember him around during the first episodes...Episode 14 Yi Chum mentions that "he raised him"... was Heo Gyun under Yi Chum before? And is he a double agent???? Why does he seem to be on the "dark side" now? Please clarify this to me...

Thanks!!!

@stclaus
Until this episode, I thought this man, Heo Gyun, was the king's loyal servant. He worked for the king as the spy in Ming and discovered the 300 yrs old manual for the sulfur method.... He is also a good senior friend of In Woo.

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 14 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

The king sent Heo Gyun to arrest Do Ha at Kang Joo Sun's house. Why did Heo Gyun stab Do Ha? The king surely wanted to arrest Do Ha alive as a witness against Kang Joo Sun's crime of blowing up the weapon bureau with poison.
Something is fishy about this guy, Heo Gyun...

Splendid Politics Hwajung episode episode 14 review recap Cha Seung Won Gwanghae Yi ICheom Jung Woong In Lee Yeon Hee Jungmyung Hawi Seo Kang Joon Hong Joo Won Kang In Woo Han Joo Wan Kim Gae Shi Kim Yeo Jin Yi Ja kyung Gong Myeong Kang Joo Sun Jo Sung Ha Hawgidogam Queen Inmok Shin Eun Jung Heo Gyun Ahn Nae Sang Choi Moo Sun

Do Ya, the guy who got stabbed is probably someone from Kang Joo Sun's family.  If Do Ya is alive, Kang Joo Sun will be convicted. Now that Do Ya dies from that stab, there won't be any witness.  

This is a sign of trouble for Gwanghae. The king doesn't know that the man ( Heo Gyun) working as a spy for him has other motive against him. This Heo Gyun lied to the king that Do Ya stabbed himself. He also told the king earlier that Hwa yi was a spy from Japan.

Guest teredenz

about In Woo's feelings for the princess, maybe he felt rejected when the princess ask HJW  to marry her and save her brother but doesn't mean his going to be a bad guy 11094050_1015544775132123_38587547100531

11214129_1015544875132113_49652544054168

11350507_1015544915132109_88623271108469

Just saw episodes 13 and 14..can't wait for next week..

I have a feeling the former queen might bump into the princess on her way out of GW's room..

If she doesnt recognize her there, I have a feeling we might have to wait a few more episodes for everyone to know Hwa Yi's real identity.

Ugh cant wait!

I have a feeling the former queen might bump into the princess on her way out of GW's room..

If she doesnt recognize her there, I have a feeling we might have to wait a few more episodes for everyone to know Hwa Yi's real identity.

Ugh cant wait!

@mangekyux.  I just hope GW hit woman don;t recognize who she is and send his hitman after her.. But I do think the court lady will figure out who she is..

GW knows she and he have some kind similarities and something connecting them   

@mangekyux.  I just hope GW hit woman don;t recognize who she is and send his hitman after her.. But I do think the court lady will figure out who she is..

GW knows she and he have some kind similarities and something connecting them   

​Yeah I think so too...although if that happens I think the court lady will somehow meet her downfall soon..same for Lee Yi Cheom..

For the sake of the princess I hope they go down but I really enjoy those two's performance so far in this drama.

Guest purpledrama

Woww this week episodes had everything loved it... i waited to watched both episodes before commenting and woww the thread is growing fast :) 

Thank you everyone with the updates and the recaps.. is nice at least to have some of the episodes before are subs....

Woww episode 13 was nice poor jo woon he must have suffered but he was not going to betray hwayi and what he believes and he is correct man loved that woww now we can really what is politics everyone is showing their true self to obtain what they want..

In episode 14 i thought the princess was going to reveal her true identity. .. but no woww she and in woo did a great job saving jo woon reveling the true... and the end the king so close to find out about the princess he knows hwayi is hiding something :( next week episodes will be great... sorry i wanted to post ill try to finish to read all comments :) 

For those who wish to know about the Korean Tea Ceremony/Ritual (Darye, 다례, 茶禮)

The Darye event that I participate was held last year ( May 2014) in Jagyeongjeon Hall in Gyeongbokgung Palace..Participation Fee is Free but you need to paid for the admission to Gyeongbokgung Palace W3,000, you can email manpss@chf.or.kr for a reservation. The tea ritual event is held on weekends, there are also special foreigner only programs too....

Ugh cant wait!

Hi! It's not possible because princess mother lives in other place, not in main palace.

Guest Tae_Sasha

hey friends! :) i am planning to watch this show although i dnt like historical stories much but i do like some historical shows like The moon embraces the sun , arang and magistrate , night watchmen. So  is it worth watching? 

article.jpg

@gerrytan8063

Thank you for the info and VDO of Darye. Wow! You have actually experienced the tea ceremony in the palace. How wonderful!  The ceremony has a calm and meditating effect.

By the way, I've noticed the way she holds the sweet in the paper with both hands (2nd picture from top).  And in the drama, the way she eats covering her mouth. I feel that is very feminine. Just wondering, in Darye, if a guy holds a sweet like that too?  From my experience, guys pick up a cookie and eat it with just 1 hand. They don't usually cover up their mouths.

For the princess, this is probably something hard to disguise. She behaves the only way she grew up with and knows of, the feminine etiquette of the royalty.  (Although she pours the tea the male way, I think, with just one hand. Gai si always uses 2 hands, one to hold the pot, another to firm the lid.)

Gwanghae is very smart. Something simple like this is the easiest way to check the class of the person who claims that the king has known him / her from a long time ago. 

Embedded image permalink

@SMP567

I am actually a coffee drinker, similar the Japanese's Chado or Chinese Gongfu Tea, too many steps just to brew tea

I will run to Starbucks in to buy a W4,100 Grande Americano (& I can't even request for a 4 shot Americano, a Grande you only get 2 shots), although Korea is the 6th priciest in the 20 OECD country, compare to a Grande Americano in Narita Airport is just W3,000

Archived