Park Bo Gum 박보검 ♥ 朴寶劍 ♥ パク・ボゴム | Upcoming Drama 2024: When Life Gives You Tangerines | Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy

autumnight

[Herald Interview] Suzy, Park Bo-gum boast real chemistry in ‘Wonderland’

20240605050532_0.jpg

South Korean heartthrobs Suzy and Park Bo-gum said they were satisfied with their romantic chemistry as portrayed in upcoming AI fantasy romance movie “Wonderland.”

Helmed by Kim Tae-yong of “Late Autumn” (2010), the movie revolves around people reuniting through AI in a simulated virtual world called Wonderland.

Suzy and Park, who have developed special rapport as emcees of the Baeksang Arts Awards for many years, showed their special on-screen chemistry in “Wonderland.” They appear as a young couple struggling to settle into a new life after Tae-ju (Park) suffers brain damage. Suzy, who plays Jung-in, appears bare-faced in most of the scenes, reminiscing about old times.

The movie was completed in 2020, but its release was delayed due to the pandemic.

20240605050533_0.jpg

“I waited so long for this movie to open. The way I participated in this movie was a bit different from my previous works.

I communicated a lot with the director and actors and have special feelings for this movie." the 29-year-old actor told reporters in an interview in Seoul on Tuesday.

“Because the movie involves many flashback scenes that Jung-in wants to relive, and the AI-simulated Tae-ju shows a healthy, fun relationship with Jung-in, Park and I had to show this natural lovey-dovey mood. That was well-delivered on the screen,” she said. “We danced and took many photos together while waiting (on the set for shooting),” she added.

Park said he also put extra effort into making him and Suzy look like a long-term couple on the screen.

“After watching the movie, we told each other that we do look like a sweet couple, complementing each other,” Park told reporters in a separate interview in Seoul on Tuesday.

20240605050534_0.jpg

In “Wonderland,” not everything is rosy for this couple, because at first, Jung-in feels relieved to see a healthy Tae-ju in the AI-simulated virtual world and enjoys talking to him although she knows he’s not real. But she gets confused as the real Tae-ju, who is in coma in the hospital, eventually wakes up and cannot remember many of the things he did with Jung-in together as a couple.

Park said he had to create a story between Jung-in and Tae-ju to immerse himself in acting and portray the stark difference between the real Tae-ju and the AI Tae-ju.

“The setting I thought up for myself was that Jung-in and Tae-ju are both orphans so they have only each other to depend on. So they’re something more than lovers, but at the same time, closer to a family. That way, the audience could understand why these young adults are fond of each other,” Park said.

“Wonderland” is Park’s first work to be released following his discharge from the mandatory military service in 2022. He filmed “Wonderland” right before enlisting in the military.

Park said his 20-month-long experience in the military taught him to take care of himself, while he used to be someone who would put others first before himself.

“I learned that I need to protect myself, my mentality, so that I can embrace others. I also have bold ideas about acting.

There are more genres and more characters I want to venture into, so I can tell a variety of people’s stories through films or dramas,” said the 30-year-old actor.

“Wonderland” hit heaters on Wednesday.

Spoiler

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20240605050526

Digital love and loss: Suzy generates AI version of Park Bo-gum in sci-fi film 'Wonderland'

A still from sci-fi fantasy film ″Wonderland″ [ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS]

A still from sci-fi fantasy film ″Wonderland″ [ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS]

Audiences may leave theaters with a lot of thoughts after watching director Kim Tae-yong's new sci-fi film "Wonderland," which hit local theaters today. As demonstrated in the film, technology may offer humans a more comfortable and restful life, but may also have the tendency to stir up confusion. 

“Wonderland is an ideal but weird world,” actor Park Bo-gum said during an interview with local reporters at a cafe in Jongno District, central Seoul, on Tuesday, a day before the film's premiere. 

In the world of “Wonderland,” people can reconnect with their lost loved ones, or those who are seriously impaired, through AI technology. The film poses a thought-provoking question regarding the intersection of technology, memory and reality, inviting the audience to ponder the issues along with the characters as they experience the technology. The film features a star-studded lineup, including actors Suzy, Park, Tang Wei, Choi Woo-shik and Jung Yu-mi.  

Actor Park Bo-gum [THEBLACKLABEL, ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS]

Actor Park Bo-gum [THEBLACKLABEL, ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS]

Actors Suzy and Park, who play Jung-in and Tae-ju, respectively, spoke with the local press on Tuesday to introduce their new film. They said that the film's thought-provoking technology, though imaginary, was what inspired them to accept their roles.  

“When I first received the script, the idea that a person can meet somebody they dearly miss and want to meet, even if it's through a video call using AI technology, was interesting to me,” Park said.  

“The idea that making data according to human memories was also interesting to me,” Suzy said. On the other hand, however, she said that it scares her to think about an AI version of herself being created, suggesting that such a technological development could be a double-edged sword. 

A still from film ″Wonderland″ [ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS]

“I think that an AI version of Suzy, created from public memories, would be scary because I anticipate it would constantly be smiling,” she said.  

Suzy and Park portray a couple who were once deeply in love before Park's Tae-ju fell into a coma due to an accident. Suzy signs up for the Wonderland service, making an AI version of Tae-ju based solely on her own memories. She sets him up as a kind, perfect and bright astronaut. However, when Tae-ju miraculously wakes up, there's a discrepancy between the real Tae-ju and the AI version of him created by his girlfriend. 

Suzy and Park sing a duet together in outer space in the film, which, according to the actors, was planned a day before the actual scene was shot.  

“The scene was not in the script as far as I can remember,” Suzy said. “A day before the shoot, director Kim came to us, asking if we could sing for the scene.”

Spoiler

Actor Suzy [MANAGEMENT SOOP, ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS]

Actor Suzy [MANAGEMENT SOOP, ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS]

“At the time, I was a bit worried. But thinking that Jung-in and AI Tae-ju couldn't meet each other in reality, the director’s idea of allowing them to meet in such a way felt quite heartbreaking and sad.”

Park showed his affection for the song, titled “Wish,” as he wrote its lyrics. He said he wrote them thinking of the people who use the service, not just Suzy's Jung-in. 

“I made the song's title, too,” Park said. “It comes from the phrase ‘Wonderland is here,’ describing the Wonderland service users who wish to meet the loved ones they miss. But, it also has a different meaning, delivering a message that the moments of being around the people that are currently with you can also be a Wonderland.”

As the technology is introduced through various narratives and cases in the film, the question arises about whether one would sign up for the Wonderland service. Both actors also pondered the question themselves. 

"I believe I would sign up for the service because there may come a time when I have to accept the pain anyway. So, I would leave it to my future self to overcome the pain and I'd register for the service,” Suzy said.  

Park said he initially would have registered for the service if he could, but his mind changed while shooting the film, saying that not registering for the service would be better for his health.

Park recommended that viewers should pay attention to every narrative of each character in the film, which he says will enable them to understand the film more “richly.”

“The film poses a question to the audience about what they would do if they were put into such a situation,” Park said.  

BY KIM JI-YE [kim.jiye@joongang.co.kr]

credit : JoongAngDaily

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2024-06-05/entertainment/movies/Digital-love-and-loss-Suzy-generates-AI-version-of-Park-Bogum-in-scifi-film-Wonderland/2062037

*** Disney+ Korea has unveiled the first teaser for 'My Name Is Gabriel'. Each of the cast members are given a chance to live someone else's life for 72 hours. These stars will be given a new name in a new country during their time on the program, being able to imagine what it might have been like for them to live as ordinary civilians. Park Myung Soo will be sent to Chiang Mai, Thailand; Yeom Hye Ran will start a new life in Chongqing, China; Ji Chang Wook will travel to Guadalajara, Mexico; Park Bo Gum will spend his 72 hours in Dublin, Ireland, and Gabee will try out new things in Mexico City, Mexico. Not only will the stars get a taste of new life in a foreign setting, but they'll also build bonds with strangers like never before through this experience. 'My Name Is Gabriel' will air on Disney+ and JTBC beginning on June 21 at 8:50 PM KST. I hope the program

does well.   :hypehype:

video source : allkpop

Director Kim Tae-yong's new film 'WONDERLAND': AI filling void left by humans

Z4XXESAAEBBMRELSA7USABUBOA.jpg

Director Kim Tae-yong (age 55) made a comeback 13 years after “Late Autumn” with the feature film “WONDERLAND.”

The plot revolves around using AI to resurrect the dead, enabling family members to reunite via video chat.

“WONDERLAND” is a moving family picture that tries to fill the absence left by the deaths of loved ones, even though it is seemingly a sci-fi movie. The movie, which debuted on June 5 and had a star-studded cast that included Park Bo-gum, Suzy, and Tang Wei, topped the box office.

“WONDERLAND” represents a virtual realm where unfulfilled aspirations can be realized. Bai Li (Tang Wei), an AI created to hide her death from her young daughter, becomes an archaeologist exploring deserts in the movie. Jeong-in (Suzy), mourning her comatose boyfriend Tae-ju (Park Bo-gum), transforms AI Tae-ju into an astronaut. Director Kim Tae-yong mentioned, “The story began with curiosity about how far we could accept AI family members or lovers,” adding, “I imagined a future where we might never have to say goodbye to anyone as AI technology advances.”

"WONDERLAND" director Kim Tae-yong/Courtesy of ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS"WONDERLAND" director Kim Tae-yong/Courtesy of ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS

- The movie has different family relationships, like an AI mother for a little girl and a silly AI grandson, which makes me think of your earlier work “Family Ties.”

“Last time the producer read the script, he said it was like an SF version of ‘Family Ties.’ When I filmed ‘Family Ties,’ I used to wonder what the limits of family were. Now, I’m interested in how far our connections can go by adding machines to them.”

- Watching this with family could lead to a lot of interesting discussions. It makes you think about asking for the job. How much does it cost?

“There was a “WONDERLAND White Paper, but it wasn’t shown in the movie. A joining fee of 2 million won (about $1,464) is needed to make your own virtual world. If you choose a plan after that, the monthly fee starts at 50,000 won (about $36.60).”

- The movie mostly leaves out scientific explanations. Some watchers who were hoping for more traditional sci-fi might be let down.

“The neuroscientists and physicists I talked to found it interesting how technology has changed ties between people. Instead of focusing on how scientifically possible something was, I wanted to look into how people feel and think about technology.”

- Why was physics necessary?

“We discussed how AI figures could discover their world isn’t real. A cinematic hypothesis is that in WONDERLAND, AI emotions are translated into physical phenomena. By observing the evolution of AI through emotions such as wrath, loneliness, and the desire for recognition, viewers ca glimpse how people grow.”

SKCVQAV7FJCBBMMYM6RGF2CVOE.jpgStill from "WONDERLAND"/Courtesy of ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS

Director Kim Tae-Yong and his wife Tang Wei whom he met during “Late Autumn,” are reunited in this picture, which is also a family endeavor. The story drew from their experience as a dual-income foreign couple who frequently spoke over video calls. During the press preview, Tang Wei joked that the only change since “Late Autumn” was her weight. She also commended Kim for his unwavering patience, keen observation, and strong convictions, citing these as the reasons she still admires him.

- It has been reported that you and Tang Wei engage in an interminable amount of conversation at home.

“We deliberated on the appropriate level of human-likeness for Tang Wei to portray an AI and the most effective approach to ensuring that WONDERLAND was credible. Although it is difficult to communicate in Korean, Chinese, and English, it also prevents us from making our conversations pretentious with academic jargon.”

- As a wife, what is Tang Wei like?

“She is a diligent and energetic individual who is an actress, wife, and mother. I would characterize her as a friend if I were to select her most notable quality. Despite our age disparity, she treats me as a friend and, occasionally, as an older sibling.”

- Where would you go if you could utilize WONDERLAND?

“I would request that Tang Wei portray me as a film director who is shooting on Mars. I am frequently criticized for the excessive length of time it takes to produce a film. I would prefer to be a prolific director who releases a film on a monthly basis (laughter). It is conceivable that I would compose unconventional family narratives that incorporate both humans and extraterrestrials.

credit : Chosun Ilbo

*** Recently, Park Bogum guested on Jang Doyeon's YouTube talk show. When Jang Doyeon remarked, "I heard that you watch all the ads because you didn't get YouTube Premium? Still?" Here, he said his reason for not getting YouTube Premium in favor of enduring ads. He explained, "When you watch ads, there are some pretty ads that make you go, 'That's a nice ad!' If I like the music from the ad, I would also look it up. I just think it's nice. It serves as a brief pause, akin to a comma, offering you a break time. If you focus on something too hard, you tend to forget to blink. I think the ads serve as an opportunity for you to blink (and rest your eyes)."   :yaaa:

20240607_040135_071_teo%20yt.jpg

source : Gstarlive

*** When Park Bogum sat down for an interview with the press to discuss his new movie "Wonderland,"  he also mentioned that he shares his happiness about Byeon Woo-seok rising to fame after starring in "Lovely Runner" who was his "Record of Youth" co-star. Park Bo Gum invited Byeon Woo-seok along with other cast members to the VIP premiere of "Wonderland" on May 31. He specifically mentioned inviting Byeon Woo-seok to the VIP premiere during the interview. Park Bo Gum said with a smile, "Woo-seok told me he enjoyed 'Wonderland' very much and found it touching. His words made me happy. I had a lot of fun filming with Woo-seok. The story of 'Record of Youth' felt like it was his story, actually, so I felt happy for him. We talked just the other day, and Woo-seok told me to take good care of my health. I’m really glad he's doing so well."   :blush:

201941512_700.webp

source : SBS Star

• Like 1

*** I'm happy that Wonderland"  topped the overall box office upon its release. According to the number of actual visitors at CGV, “Wonderland” is garnering balanced support across all age groups, including those in their 20s (24%), 30s (25%), 40s (25%) and 50s (22%). It maintains the top spot in overall ticket reservations. I hope this will be a box office success. Audiences who watched “Wonderland” on its opening day expressed great satisfaction with the film. The film has received high praise for the performances of its actors, and some viewers are even planning multiple viewings, indicating an explosive response to the film.   :kaching3:

20240606093207175tsjm.jpg

source : https://v.daum.net/v/20240606093206773

• Wiggle 2

*** According to figures released by the Korean Film Council,  "Wonderland" is the leader at the South Korean box office, having topped the competition in all three days of its release. "Wonderland" now has 297,845 overall admissions in its first three days as it heads into its first weekend.   :blush:

credit : William Schwartz

• Like 1

‘Wonderland’ Park Bo-gum talks on-screen chemistry with Bae Suzy

03b21abd-4518-43f5-bce5-a146718617b2.jpg

By Lee Gyu-lee

The sci-fi drama "Wonderland," having been highly anticipated, not only marks the long-awaited return of heartthrob Park Bo-gum to the big screen after his mandatory military service but also showcases the sizzling on-screen chemistry between him and co-star Bae Suzy, which fueled excitement among fans.

90489fd0-120f-4dc2-9979-8a7fdf0910c0.jpg

Led by director Kim Tae-yong, the new drama film, which premiered on June 5, follows people using the AI platform service Wonderland to video chat with a virtually created version of a deceased person. A young flight attendant, Jeong-in (Bae), uses the service to reunite with her long-term boyfriend in a coma, Tae-joo (Park) whereas Chinese single mom Bai Li (Tang Wei) requests it to communicate with her young daughter and elderly mother.

When the film’s promotion kicked off, showing a glimpse of Park and Bae’s onscreen chemistry as a couple created a buzz, even stirring a dating rumor when the two featured in the music show “The Seasons: Artist with ZICO” last month.

“I’m so pleased to see such positive reactions to the chemistry between Suzy and I. I think it’s good because this will help many viewers to watch the film in a more immersive way,” Park said during an interview with The Korea Times at a cafe in Jongno District, Seoul, Wednesday.

"I hope things don't get awkward between us because of the dating rumor. I felt proud that people saw us so favorably.

I kept watching our video from 'The Seasons' ... I thought we really looked good together."

The actor said he was intrigued by the film's concept of recreating a loved one through AI.

"I wish those times will come soon. If we can meet someone we can never meet again, what would it be like? I wondered, if there was such a service, would I use it? Could I use this technology in a healthy way, or would I get completely lost in it? That triggered so many thoughts," he said.

260dcfd1-5961-4e84-b0cd-1c5521cdf068.jpg

He added the two co-stars worked closely to figure out how Jeong-in and Tae-joo's love story could fit into the overall concept.

"Since (the film's) mostly about family, there was nothing I couldn't relate to. Jeong-in and Tae-joo are boyfriend and girlfriend, so when I first read the script, I wondered what kind of relationship they would have to request from the 'Wonderland' service. I was worried if we could deliver the same depth of the relationship as that of a family. The director, Bae and I discussed that both characters lost their parents at an early age and have each other as family," he said, adding he enjoyed creating the couple's story with Bae.

“As I worked with Bae, we had chances to talk to each other a lot, sharing serious and deep conversations. There were some scenes we shot without a script, and both of us had a lot of fun. We spent meaningful time discussing with the director, taking prop photos, and building characters. I strongly hope we can meet again for another great project.”

Spoiler

de1bd611-8188-4725-847b-f905e9571422.jpg

The actor plays a double role as an AI-created version and a real human. When Tae-joo wakes up from the coma, the couple’s relationship hits a rocky road, as Jeong-in struggles to leave behind the optimistic AI-version of her boyfriend and Tae-joo fights to get his life back to normal during the recovery.

“With AI version Tae-joo, I tried to portray an energetic, positive character, created from happy memories from when he was healthy … On the other hand, I remember the director told me that he wants the real-life, sick Tae-joo to appear somewhat strange,” he said.

“So I tried to express perplexing emotions like he’s confused and worried and doesn’t have any idea what’s right … I portrayed Tae-joo after gaining consciousness as confused about his existence although he still loves Jeong-in.”

credit : Korea Times

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/06/689_376231.html

• Like 2