[Drama 2014] Fated To Love You, 운명처럼 널 사랑해

Go Seung Ji

Let's just all be thankful for FTLY, for JH and JNR, and support and wish them well. They are just moving forward. Besides, there is no one like Gun and Miyoung and the FTLY team, so I do believe FTLY will remain in their hearts for a very long time.

@psycheros‌ @onlykhj‌ Grandma faked illness and sent them to their first prenatal class session, where we are granted their first VERY conscious physical interaction and one of the most funniest scenes in Kdrama history (to me at least). XD I think Grandma is the only character that was constantly for Gun and Miyoung, from the moment she knew about the pregnancy, she wanted their marriage... whether an act of responsibility or desperation, she liked Miyoung from the very first meeting because she was the mother of her great grandchild (and almost instantly becomes to like her for her). I don't think Gun would've come to ask for marriage so soon if it wasn't for Grandma (he was still struggling with his relationship with Sera, convincing himself in front of Miyoung that Sera was the only woman he loved and that it would remain that way). Grandma encouraged their feelings and their physical closeness all throughout their marriage. When she objected to them marrying and living together again, she even hinted a solution for them to run away together, lol.

@Kdrama-lover‌ I didn't notice the ramyun at first. "Why is there a rubberband..?... OMG!!!" =)) ♡♡ I love the card. The workmanship, the words.. I just love it all for the thought, time, and care behind it. Thank you and @itzibitzispider‌ for making it happen. I hope my card for my Secret Snail will bring her as much happiness as Kdrama-lover's did for me. :)

//Edit. @heppy I am the most scaredy cat in the world when it comes to little hairy, creepy, crawly things. In the case of snails, they are slimy. But no more, they are just CUTE! FTLY saving the snail kingdom, @rienn! ^^

P.S. @cloe, I sent you a message and wrote on your board a few days ago. Please check.

Oh well,

I was kinda shocked by the news that Jan Nara signed up for another drama already. The Snail Couple is so fresh in my mind just as my love for them. 

Jang Nara has not been around the Korean showbiz for a long time. Since her comeback was such a success with JH and "Fated to Love You", it would befitting for her to take up another opportunity when appropriate to further her presence in Korea. I don't blame her because majority of actor/actresses would do the same. They have a short limelight span where they can acquire the best work at their peak. Having said that, it still feels very empty since we will have to wish her the best as she moves on.

On second thought, JH has done the same thing. While starring in FTLY, he was also filming a movie. Right after the drama, he gets busy with other works, granted not as involved as a drama. JH may take it easy because he has a family. Interestingly, he also said he has no problem shedding his characters from one project to the next in short period of time. Likewise, Jang Nara is doing the same thing.

Well,...sad, but life goes on.

I don't want to have high hopes to see them at year-end-award neither. Partly because most actors/actresses tend not to attend unless they can help it. 

FTLY team, JJangs team, please prove me wrong at year-end!!!

:(

(

:(

(

Well movie came before for Jang Hyuk haha. He was casted long time before and was filming it and FTLY offered a role to him. Supposedly he could finish the movie before starting FTLY but movie filming got delayed and he ended up filming two at the same time.

But that doesnt take away any of your point. Actors can't be expected to hold on to their characters and JH did also mention he snaps out of his character, otherwise he can't move onto next characters.

but then it is also more than natural for fans to feel sad IMO haha..because, as much as actors are expected to control their characters and be able to snap out and snap in, fans are expected to be immersed in the characters and feel as if the characters are real, and they are the best. They try to make fans feel that way, and if u do end up feeling like that u are called diehard fan :P so it is super natural for fans to not feel like moving on, feel not ready to see JNR as someone other than KMY, etc....it wouldnt make sense to blame the actress (not that anyone did it here) but I guess it is natural to feel somewhat not ready for the situation.

well im gonna go back to watching my lovely snails

@songielove:  ooh, that's a good one!  
The only characters I don't see participating in bringing them together is Dr. Octopus and KMY's sisters.  Even the gangster guy brought them together by finding the tree.  
Thanks for engaging my brain today @psycheros! :-bd

Guest Kdrama-lover

@songielove‌ , it's a pleasure for me you'd appreciate that card especially made with you in mind.. ;)

I have a PM for you.. :x

Guest Kdrama-lover

@songielove:  ooh, that's a good one!  

The only characters I don't see participating in bringing them together is Dr. Octopus and KMY's sisters.  Even the gangster guy brought them together by finding the tree.  

Thanks for engaging my brain today @psycheros!

:-bd

@only1khj‌ , could we credit Dr. Octopus for introducing KMY as LG's personal secretary so that she could stay close to the amnesia stricken LG? ;)

Guest esmeemily

I think every fandom of any drama would react the same like some of us or worse if they were in this situation. lucky FTLY have cool-headed fans who are able to take this easy.. if this case happened to Heirs or Man from Stars, i'm sure SBS building was only a name now. well good luck for Jang Nara new drama.. i support her but of course FTLY & snail couple are my bias.

Guest SandiRa

psycheros said: Piggybacking on the comment by @donotaskshewillsayno, Gun might have steered the company to become more family-oriented in the last 3 years: the ad model changes from a hot young girl to a dad and baby. And with the use of Mi Young's ad campaign, there is less use of sex to sell Jang In products.

@kdrama-lover: sounds good to me... now if we could just s-t-r-e-t-c-h something for those sisters we would have everybody covered.  In the TW-version the sister that ended up with Anson helped the OTP get together through the ceramics class.  

Guest Kdrama-lover

@kdrama-lover: sounds good to me... now if we could just s-t-r-e-t-c-h something for those sisters we would have everybody covered.  In the TW-version the sister that ended up with Anson helped the OTP get together through the ceramics class.  

OK, what about the later-not-so rooting for LG unni Mi Ja.. I think if I would consider her as the initiator of their surprise visit to the Lee Manor and cruising at the river a point for her then, she can be credited for giving the chance for MY to air out her desperation on LG's selling off Yeoul Island. And with her giving birth to Dae Chul, LG had the opportunity to experience carrying a new born baby and appreciate mother's sacrifice, therefore appreciating his Snail a lot more afterwards.;)

OK, what about the later-not-so rooting for LG unni Mi Ja.. I think if I would consider her as the initiator of their surprise visit to the Lee Manor and cruising at the river a point for her then, she can be credited for giving the chance for MY to air out her desperation on LG's selling off Yeoul Island. And with her giving birth to Dae Chul, LG had the opportunity to experience carrying a new born baby and appreciate mother's sacrifice, therefore appreciating his Snail a lot more afterwards.;)

I'm going to say that Miyoung's oldest sister is dating Sec. Tak-- that alone means she has always rooted for Snail Couple. She openly chooses Gun over Daniel too. Yeah, that about rounds out every person in the drama helping out Snail Couple. :P

I think everyone here's thinking JNR took on the role because she wanted to further her career after the "success" of FTLY. (Success is in quotes because for all my love for FTLY, I don't think it was an overwhelming success in Korea. It was good and got positive reviews and that was it.) Her role as Mi-young was well-liked, but it's not typical of her to take up a new role so quickly. It's not a move to cement her position further in the industry because she had been on hiatus for a period of time when she was much more active in China. BFB was the drama that served as a stepping stone for her comeback and it did well that's why she had dramas offers coming in quite regularly. 

In the case of Mr. Back, people who follow casting news may be aware that it started a really long time ago when FTLY was filming already. The offer for the male lead went out to people like Ji Chang-wook, Yeon Woo-jin, Kim Nam-gil and so on. The fact that JCW declined the offer made it difficult because he's, relatively, a small name in the industry. And that's why KNG denied immediately that he was going to take up the role. Shin Mina's name was in the mix for the female lead but she rejected the offer quite promptly. And since the drama was scheduled in November after My Spring Days, MBC needed to find someone to headline it fast. And it was a brilliant move on their part that they managed to secure Shin Ha-kyun at the last minute. I would call it a miracle actually, that someone like SHK was willing to take it up. I'm guessing they either offered to pay him a lot or someone managed to persuade him somehow by pulling out all sorts of cards haha :))

JNR had no plans for any other projects right after FTLY. She didn't even mention her Chinese drama (that she's filming right now) and at that time I don't think that she expected herself (not in a million years) to be the female lead of Mr. Back. Honestly speaking, she probably wouldn't have accepted the offer at all if she was "properly" asked, because it's way too quick, almost right after FTLY ended. However, MBC couldn't find someone to star in the show. And they weren't going to air nothing. There were rumours surfacing before this, that she was going to do a special series (a really short one) for MBC. At that point in time I think she accepted to star in the special production which was a stop gap so they can air that first and get more time to prepare for Mr. Back. Somehow, one way or another, they decided oh why not just offer the role to her. It's a role that she's familiar with and she can do well in. JNR and MBC go a long way back because she got really popular off their sitcom Nonstop 2 - @spideysteve elaborated on this - and I think she took it up as a favour. And of course, also partly because SHK is a great actor. So it's not anything like she needed to increase her media exposure or stuff.

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought I should clear up the misunderstandings here.

No one does a drama out of favor. There is too much to invest in, it takes time and energy and it remains on your filmography forever. If an actor or actress decides to do a drama, no matter where the initiative came from, eventually it is because he or she WANTED to do it. Especially if it is a favor of a TV station.....MBC is not a personal entity, and MBC ten yrs ago is not the same with MBC right now. It would make more sense to do something because a director or a producer you owe something ask something, but I don't think the same applies to a TV station.

Actually JNRs korean fans have been discussing about how excited and passionate she looks about acting these days. Even before Mr.Back casting news was out they were talking about how they feel like she will start working more in shorter terms (although no one expected this short). She repeatedly mentioned about hoe happy she is to be able to act, and how eager she is to act more. Fans speculated that maybe FTLY filming site was sooo good an experience lol. But more importantly, JNR mentioned to her fans that she will "shortly come back with something interesting"...she said that literally right after FTLY was done. I think JNRs decision was a well informed decision on her will. Of course it would have been better for her as well if they were a little more apart, but things don't always come in perfect timing, and she weighed everything and decided it'd be better to take it than not take it.

@anopinion i also dont think FTLY was an overwhelming success, but it def can be called success without quotation mark :P ratings this year was generally low, and especially in MBC, I think FTLY was the only weekday drama that had two digit ratings in the second half of the drama so far (excluding Empress Ki cuz that belonged to 2013 in terms of award ceremony, so I guess its more classified as 2013 drama). And FTLY was 1st place for the latter half of the drama in Seoul ratings, which is what matters for commercial success.

So while it was not an overwhelming daebak, FTLY still did get both good reviews AND commercial success. At least thats what the cast and crew is saying, what interviewers are saying, and what MBC is saying-i think they would know the best:P so lets proudly call our drama a success haha

Sigh...when I watched episode 11 and 12 (for the HS/SS), I asked myself how did we all got through that week?? They are both heart wrenchingly so difficult to watch. I think if not for ep 12 airport ending, we all would need to visit our own Dr Octopus to treat depression...   =))   Btw, I have friends who just started watching FTLY and they wished they had watched it while it was airing. FTLY had tough contenders while it was airing and had it aired after IOIL and JG were done airing, I think this drama would hit a much higher number. Right now, the K-drama world feels like a dry spell. None is exciting enough for me to watch or make me feel excited while waiting for it to air. Blah.     :-<
Btw, for those that understand Korean language, I wonder if it's a lot harder (emotionally) to watch the drama since you can understand the dialogues much better than non Korean speakers. 

Guest lovelyjen

I don't know about you, but since my favorite type of drama is the melo, it was easier for me to watch those episodes. In fact I have watched episode 12 many times.

Guest psycheros

The gangster searching for the tree - the Snail couple were reunited at this point no? Or did you mean it brings them closer together? With all these people working to reunite them, how could Mi Young and Gun not reconcile? Maybe if you take away Mama Yong and the other baddies who only want to wrest control of the company away and not intentionally break them up, the real "villain" in this story for the Snail couple is Gun and his own noble idiocy.

I only used "piggyback" because I didn't want to hassle with quoting your post and editing it. But guess it is appropriate huh?

Love that someone brought up the airport scene. Besides the hot makeovers and the fact that it brings Act 1 to a close, setting the stage for Mi Young and Gun to meet again, it also shows how hyper-aware of her he is. I mentioned earlier how he responds instinctively to her. This is the first scene it happens, I think. The show does have the typical "unknowingly walking past each other" slow mo shot and it would have been enough, but it takes it one step further by making Gun turn around.

It's amazing because

(A) It's a busy airport

(B) He could be thinking of other things or looking elsewhere (we don't know for sure because of the shades)

© It's a super brief moment

(D) She's changed her appearance drastically even though he has been keeping up with her

(E) Her face is also hidden behind the sunglasses

Despite all these, he still senses her somehow and looks back!

Which brings me to the building in France he wanted to leave her. I might be over-thinking a coincidence but it's such a huge country, why would he choose a random building out of nowhere? My guess is he couldn't really keep himself away from her in the 3 years and travelled as close to "the source" as possible. Not that I'm advocating stalker Gun, but that's how deeply he longed for her.

Ah, interesting. I like to stay away from Melo dramas but not Melo movies. Waiting each week can be really painful since they tend to drain so much energy from me. I tend to wallow in misery like the characters. Till today I haven't watch a couple of Melo dramas that are really good. I think my last one was TWTWB. I like the balance in FTLY. 

We're on the same page @sooyoungdaebak‌ . Melo drama is not my cup of tea either. Until now I have difficulties to watch the middle of ep 10 to ep 17. For me, watching drama is to release stress and for entertainment. So watching melo dramas just make me more depressed. LOL. Maybe i'm just a sensitive person. My friend said since i cannot stand melo genre that means I like to run from reality. LOL.

I'm a mix of the three of you. Haha. I like melo... but only if it's done well. I will cry buckets and buckets of tears, but I will thoroughly enjoy doing it. LOL. If it's not done well, I will hate it. Here, FTLY did the most excellent job of every emotion and sub genre, so it totally rocked for me. I'm a really sensitive and emotional person, but I still really enjoy a good melo.

Just to remind those who haven’t purchased yet, and might want to purchase…

Today is the last day you can pre-order FTLY Director’s Cut DVD! It ends at October 12th 24:00 KST.

You can purchase it from..

Innolife:
(with script) http://shop.innolife.com/item.php?grp=1&cid=76&iid=190708
(without script) http://shop.innolife.com/item.php?grp=1&cid=76&iid=190717

YesAsia:
(with script)  http://www.yesasia.com/global/fated-to-love-you-dvd-script-book-directors-cut-english-subtitled/1036808327-0-0-0-en/info.html
(without script)  http://www.yesasia.com/global/fated-to-love-you-dvd-directors-cut-english-subtitled-mbc-tv-drama/1036808381-0-0-0-en/info.html

After the pre-order period, you still might be able to purchase the DVD, but price will be higher and you won’t get pre-order bonuses, such as script or photo-book. So don’t miss this chance, if you loved Fated to Love You!