regarding swear filters.... just a suggestion

NAN

I fully understand that we cannot go around the swear filter and will result in warning if we violate the rule. However, I still have seen many people going around the swear filter using misspelled swear words and such. I suggest that maybe Soompi can put up one of those huge pink must-click-and-read-links to the forum rule about the swear filter at the top of the page (I dont think I'm making myself clear enough but I just don't know how to explain it better). Because so many people have avoided the rule and it's really annoying seeing people violating rules without even noticing. Or just write a message at the top of the forum page and emphasize it. Just a suggestion though. :P Edit* MOD CAN CLOSE THIS TOPIC NOW SINCE THE SUGGESTION IS MOST LIKELY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. THANKS. :)

Guest theonecalledy2ckt

I fully understand that we cannot go around the swear filter and will result in warning if we violate the rule.

However, I still have seen many people going around the swear filter using misspelled swear words and such. I suggest that maybe Soompi can put up one of those huge pink must-click-and-read-links to the forum rule about the swear filter at the top of the page (I dont think I'm making myself clear enough but I just don't know how to explain it better). Because so many people have avoided the rule and it's really annoying seeing people violating rules without even noticing.

Or just write a message at the top of the forum page and emphasize it.

Just a suggestion though. :P

if you think about it, it would be extremely hard to do. there are so many variants in how to alter words that the block list would be absurdly large, and even still there would be plenty of things we'd miss. albeit a good idea, it would be extremely hard to implement.

Guest theonecalledy2ckt

also, in the fic section sometimes a swear word or two is necessary for the atmosphere of a piece.

it would be better to warn people if they are being abusive and using swears gratuitously elsewhere in the forum :)

true, but i think a deeper sense of anger can be expressed without swearing in a fic. i haven't sworn yet, and i can express much greater feeling. but then again, most of the works in the fic section are written by kids, so whatever. <_<

Oh, I'm not like saying that Soompi should list all the various ways of misspelling a swear word and filter it.

I'm just suggesting that maybe Soompi could emphasize it a bit more because so many people violates the rule. Like maybe put a sign up for a couple days or a week, and when members log in, they will see it and read it and click on something that goes "I have read the material listed above" and it will go away (one of those signs if i wasn't clear enough).

I am aware that there're exceptions in the fanfic forums (fanfic lover myself actually). :)

true, but i think a deeper sense of anger can be expressed without swearing in a fic. i haven't sworn yet, and i can express much greater feeling. but then again, most of the works in the fic section are written by kids, so whatever. <_<

i agree with you there, but it depends on the type of character what kind of language is being used. but that really not a topic for here heheh

'HIEN - there is a swear filter but its not the same as before eg the replace ment for F*** is now 'i can't read' instead of rainbow

no idea about the other replacements. i tend not to swear even in real life. i use swears in my fics more >_< and even then not very often >_<

Guest minwoo012

its a part of life, not everyone is going to always follow the rules.

So learn to live with it.

unless you've felt offended by someone going around the swear

filters and directly/indirectly using them towards you/someone you know

in anyway or form, in which case you should report them.

but other then that, theres still thousands of members on

soompi, im sure more than 50% of them find ways to go around the filters...

at least we have the filters and have a rule about profanity. there isn't

much we can do about it...especially in a large scale forum like soompi~

its a part of life, not everyone is going to always follow the rules.

So learn to live with it.

Please, I was only suggesting for Soompi to emphasize it a little bit more. Telling me to learn to live with it is quite unneeded here.

Anyway, mod can close this topic now since the suggestion is most likely not going to happen. Thanks. :)

Archived