[Drama 2014] Cunning Single Lady 앙큼한 돌싱녀

SongMira

It's good move for Secretary Gil to work for CEO Cha... 
Embedded image permalink
He must be thinking those days when he needed to carry those brief cases...
Embedded image permalink

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mojobobo

Nice thoughts.  I agree, he's naive in more ways than one.  It's hard to totally dislike him because he just doesn't know, but he has unrealistic views on marriage (that the person should be loyal no matter what) and was kind of oblivious to everything going on in his life.    He thought he was doing a wonderful thing for her, that she would be grateful,  when in reality it's not what she wanted.   You can't help but root for them to work it out because with a little planning things could have been much better for them.  Like after he decided to focus on his company, he could have taken some of the burden of the household duties from Ae Ra as well.  But considering his lack of cooking skills it seems like she was working and doing everything else she was doing before.  On a side note, if she was dong everything alone I can totally get behind her denying him dinner tbh...  Or just planning for a year saving money could have benefited them greatly.  
That AR didn't want alimony and didn't want him to sell his office when he offered and paid off his debts makes me thinks she did want him to have a clean slate and a place to continue his work.  I do think she did believe in him and did trust him to succeed eventually (okay, maybe not the extent he did tho) , but it just ended up being too much for her to deal with.  

CJW did sell off his office back then when they got divorced. Even with not much left, he still wanted to offer alimony to NAR, NAR refused to accept since it would not be big amount. That is want I get from their conversation and hope I get it right.

kenixoon said: CJW did sell off his office back then when they got divorced. Even with not much left, he still wanted to offer alimony to NAR, NAR refused to accept since it would not be big amount. That is want I get from their conversation and hope I get it right.

When I read the synopsis of the drama, I thought NAR was going to be vicious gold digger. But 4 episodes after, I have yet to see this. I guess she got CJW's interest because of what her mother said about marrying someone who she can have a bright future with. Looking at the way her father is, I could understand why her mother said this. I think her mother was very much in love with the father, despite the father milking her mother dry. I got this impression after her fight with her brother, where she said she does not like the men in her family. Also, in an episode, we saw the father buying an expensive suit, despite not being able to afford it. At the end, the mother was not able to do anything, and ended up still serving the father.

I could be wrong, but from the subs, what I gather is that she wants a comfortable life with him. But I felt that she was perfectly OK with him being a civil servant, which means he's going to have a steady salary, and they could live comfortably, as opposed to what her mother experienced where the mother was the one taking care of the family.

I have the same questions as the posts above. What did CJW think of all the debts incurred? What did he think NAR was doing while he was doing his 'research'? In the four years time, she could have used her beauty to marry a rich guy. But she did not. She paid the debts without even uttering a word to CJW. Even now, she hasn't said it. She could have, but she hasn't. And I wonder why? This could probably clear up a lot of misunderstandings. But then again, we won't have too much drama. :D
kenixoon said: CJW did sell off his office back then when they got divorced. Even with not much left, he still wanted to offer alimony to NAR, NAR refused to accept since it would not be big amount. That is want I get from their conversation and hope I get it right.

Long posts are nice!  This is one romcom that gets a lot of people talking.
I know some people have issue with her mother pointing him out to her, but I have no issue with it.  It's what mother's do, setting up their daughters.  She didn't push or anything else.  She mentioned him in passing and AR seemed to instantly think he was cute (when he was asleep).  Yeah, she didn't notice him to start with but if she didn't like him and/or he was some disgusting person she wasn't attracted to (like that old man) she wouldn't have gotten together with him.  Some times you don't notice someone right under your nose until it's pointed out to you.   Love doesn't always start at first glance.  It did for him, but it just because it didn't for her doesn't mean her feelings are any less valid. 
I don't know what he thinks she did during their marriage.  He doesn't think she contributed anything to his success, or her only contribution is inspiring him to succeed because of what she said to him,  so it seems like he doesn't think she did much. 

@star+roll, Yes. In more ways than one I think Jung Woo's emotional maturity and EQ is still needs much development. I won't fault him for expecting his spouse to be loyal no matter what but his greatest failure was failing to communicate with Ae Ra and find out how they can both come to a middle ground in terms of expectations. 
It's like eating carrots makes me feel immensely happy and so I want to give you the best carrots in the world because I love you but you are allergic to carrots and yet I still force you to take it. 
And I agree, they should have talked it over and Ae Ra should have been given some time to adjust to the idea and then they can save up enough capital before taking the plunge. I hope to see more scenes showing them both at work with their own difficulties. 

@mojobobo

Yep.  This is one ex-couple I can get behind (even with my slight noona romance shipping) because neither are bad people and their problems could be easily solved now once they've grown as people.  With some maturity,  communication and honesty they could work out fine. 
Great analogy.  That's exactly it.   It's all about what he wanted to do for her, not what she actually wanted.  It was very nice of him to want to do, but still... He loved her a lot, but he failed to understand her.  She also didn't understand why he had to do it either and how much it meant to him to make it happen. When she was talking with her frenemy about how long it takes to save up for a house (something like 12 years?) she was fine with it because he'd have a steady salary unless the country went broke.   He wanted to do it now.  She was fine with waiting.  They should have talked and maybe split the difference. :))

The preview looks fun.  Lots of childishness going on and nerdy CJW.
She gives him flowers (hey we shirtless Joo Sang Wook, way to go Ae Ra) that he's allergic to?  Don't let the useless brother and the BFF get together please. 
I can't view the link given, but this one worked for me. 
http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/back/preview/index.html

Archived