[Drama 2013 - 2014] Prime Minister and I 총리와 나

StaRix

Anyway, when everything is said and done, this series will always be one of, if not my most, favorite series of all time.  If nothing else, it showed me, at least in the first 2/3 of its run, all the wonderful possibilities in a rom-com, even with the most unusual and implausible premises.  And it showed me that, with skillful and courageous writing, plus brilliant acting and the right combination of actors, a rom-com can actually be funny and outrageous, yet still be heartwarming, mature and deeply thought-provoking.   I will always think of Kwon Yul and Nam Da Jeong fondly, and they will remain one of my most favorite couples in Kdramaland.     
And if there's one thing that I will take away from the love story of Kwon Yul and Nam Da Jeong, it's that a deep and abiding love can grow between two disparate people under the most unconventional circumstances, if they both give it a chance.  And that loving someone is more than just an emotion but a choice that one makes - in spite of the other's flaws and shortcomings - and continues to make not just once but throughout their lives.  
우리 다시 만날 때까지 (uli dasi mannal ttaekkaji)!  Till we meet again, friends!  :)

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second lead-otp transition question from @stuartjmz has been bugging me since yesterday and I think I finally found one example: So Yi Hyun and Park Kwang Hyun were in lead roles (sort of) in My Shining Girl and later that year they were in secondary roles in Cheongdamdong Alice. I know it's not exactly what hyung-nim meant but it's close enough for me, so I guess we can hope for a Ryu Jin - Chae Jung Ahn reunion as leads :D.

@victorb, I've been reading this thread silently and enjoying it a lot but couldn't resist delurking. :) Bae Soo Bin and Lee So Yeon were second leads in "Let's Get Married" 
http://asianwiki.com/Let%27s_Get_Married

and a few years later they were paired as main leads (although to make things confusing BSB sorta shared the main lead with an actor exactly one year younger called Han Sang Jin) in "Temptation of an Angel"

http://asianwiki.com/Temptation_of_an_Angel

So there's hope yet for Ryu Jin and Chae Jung Ahn :)

cynkdf said:
@victorb, I've been reading this thread silently and enjoying it a lot but couldn't resist delurking. :) Bae Soo Bin and Lee So Yeon were second leads in "Let's Get Married" 
http://asianwiki.com/Let%27s_Get_Married

and a few years later they were paired as main leads (although to make things confusing BSB sorta shared the main lead with an actor exactly one year younger called Han Sang Jin) in "Temptation of an Angel"

http://asianwiki.com/Temptation_of_an_Angel

So there's hope yet for Ryu Jin and Chae Jung Ahn :)

akhenaten said: Anyway, what do PM&I lovers recommend I watch after this? I need to get over the shock. And to think I decided to give PM&I a try coz I was just so disappointed with the awful writing of "When A Man Loves". Would you recommend "Sweet 18"? A friend told me "You're Beautiful" is also good. I'm also curious about "King 2 Hearts". What about the ongoing dramas?

ucriet said: akhenaten said: Anyway, what do PM&I lovers recommend I watch after this? I need to get over the shock. And to think I decided to give PM&I a try coz I was just so disappointed with the awful writing of "When A Man Loves". Would you recommend "Sweet 18"? A friend told me "You're Beautiful" is also good. I'm also curious about "King 2 Hearts". What about the ongoing dramas?

Umm.. At 1st, when I only saw final ep's recaps, I thought this drama has an open ending. However, after watching this final ep with sub, "the open ending which I though" is really a HAPPY ENDING :) . Some reasons :
1. KY said to Na Young : "You can come back to be a mom, but not my wife" ( He no more loves Na Young because he loves DJ so much and because this position is for DJ :) )

2. DJ's dad wrote in his diary saying to DJ:" Although you and KY didn't start with love, but I think it will end with love" -> So, I think it is also an indication of writer :)
3. Before receding, DJ said to KY that if she meets him again, she will hold his hand .
4. The sentences  "Will we start?" in the epilogue , I think "start" word has two meanings . 
- Literally , starting for an interview between a presidential candidate and a reporter.
- Figuratively, starting for a new love.  Plus, the previous sentence of DJ :"I will introduce myself again.. I'm Nam Da Jung", then KW said "I'm Kwon Yool "- (Maybe, Nam Da Jung here is "Nam Da Jung loves Kwon Yool" and Kwon Yool here is "Kwon Yool loves Nam Da Jung" ) Umm.. Don't know how to say clearly, I hope you will understand what I said :D
So, 100% sure this drama has a HAPPY ENDING  :D \m/ :D \m/

Guest ron1105

I re-watched the entire drama again.. .this time.. reading the lines between each conversation... 
I recall somewhere along their conversations on why the story ends at the 1000th day... KY said.. if the writer had no more stories, or something like that.. and DJ said.. it's because the sultan had come to terms with his anger and found peace..  (it need not be recorded...) and the ending shows a beginning... I guess the writer feels... I don't need to write a script for that.. because.. it's already written in their hearts and they will tell the story instead...
Like Øn'Łìfĕ said... it was a happy ending... ( I only came to terms with it... after re-watching the entire drama twice )

;)) ;))

Guest dtownalley

Orion said: ohoheli said: I appears to me that through this kind of ending, they have corrected their past endeavors (having false relationship before falling inlove) into to meeting first, becoming friends before moving on to the next level. And that hand shake in the end was a very powerful representation of having a sincere beginning between the two of them.

Guest blooblahblee

Mondays feel so empty to me now. Geeze, I've only experienced this post-drama sadness like two times or so, and it seems as though Prime Minister and I is refusing to let go of him (totally not the other way around, or anything, psh.) It's still a very special drama to me, only if I forego the last two episodes, of course.
To me, I feel like the ending will never be satisfying to me no matter how many times I rewatch it. Yes, I'm sure there will be one day where I'm going to go, "The ending is bad, but I guess I have to live with it." but that isn't right now, because even though this series ended a week ago, I'm still fuming. It's happy, sure. But in my head it is only considered a happy ending if I forget that the first 14, maybe even 15 episodes did not exist. Like someone mentioned before, I cannot remember who though, 14 and 15 still mixed the melodrama and romcom portions perfectly, albeit 15 a tad less. 16 and 17 did not - the reporter crew was the only sort-of comedic parts of the episodes, if I remember correctly. If this drama was a melodrama from the start, yes, I would consider this ending the happiest it could get. But this is a romcom, and this is not what happy would mean for Da Jung and Yul after everything they had gone through.
While we could focus only on the excellency that was episode 1-13, it will never change the fact that the writers/producter/whatever the heck messed up and gave us a bull ending. I like the idea that @akhenaten proposed about the montage at the end instead being a montage of their relationship after the ~handshake~ from dating to marriage to kids. Even if all the skinship the montage would have had was hand holding, I'd be okay. Though a short montage would still be a little lackluster, at least I would be satisfied that they we were SHOWN that they had a happy ending together, not having the put the pieces together ourselves and assume they do, and be able to put this drama to rest in my heart.
My English teacher once told our class that she shouldn't have to work to read our answers because we were supposed to make everything clear and concise, which was the whole point of our assignments. I believe this applies to PMAI's ending, or even open-endings in general. The viewer should not have to work to complete the ending on their own. They are meant to be shown it and told it. And that's exactly what this drama has failed to do.

blooblahblee said: My English teacher once told our class that she shouldn't have to work to read our answers because we were supposed to make everything clear and concise, which was the whole point of our assignments. I believe this applies to PMAI's ending, or even open-endings in general. The viewer should not have to work to complete the ending on their own. They are meant to be shown it and told it. And that's exactly what this drama has failed to do.

Guest adikkeluangman

It's been almost one week since the drama ended. I avoid to come to this thread or lurking on tumblr, watched the last episode subbed but could not resist reading recaps on other blogs and crying while reading the letter by Lee Bum Soo.
I almost got asthma attack after the drama but lucky my inhaler on standby. Be right back try to backtrack pages. I want to see the post-drama party pictures. 
I'm still watching back episodes aired on KBSWorld with my mom. When Madam Na and the gang wrongly enter the gangster room. OMS thought that they were the girls from the 'shop' to accompany him. If you know what I mean. I don't see it was translated or on recaps. 
I don't think I will watch drama LIVE again. Better stick with any korean drama that air on my TV.

Archived