Park Seo Joon 박서준 ~❤❤️ [Drama 2023: “Gyeongseong Creature”] || [Movies 2023: “Dream”, “Concrete Utopia”] [Upcoming Movie 2024:“The Marvels”]

serenilmauve

*** On August 11th (local time), “The Marvels” director conducted an interview with Total Film Magazine. She shared that women from all walks of life could relate to it. And she mentioned that the story is completely different from that of existing Marvel films. The upcoming movie is really wacky and silly.   :heart2:

marvel-111-081223.webp

marvel-1111-081223.webp

source : https://www.insight.co.kr/news/447032

• Like 1

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2023.08.11 ~ 2023.08.13

credit : https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do

photo1700845.jpg

Films Release date Week-end Total
1 "Concrete Utopia" (콘크리트 유토피아) 2023/08/09 1 129 649 1 546 191
2 "Smugglers" (밀수) 2023/07/26 425 405 4 355 425
3 "Elemental"   192 834 6 645 577
4 "Ransomed" (비공식작전) 2023/08/02 125 410 981 454
5 "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One"   61 258 3 962 952
6 "The Moon" (더 문) 2023/08/02 50 582 483 829
7 "Detective Conan The Movie: Black Iron Submarine" (名探偵コナン 黒鉄の魚影)   26 357 730 865
8 "Octonauts: Above and Beyond – Season 2"   23 841 39 651
9 "Barbie"   18 523 555 766
10 "Running Man: Revengers" (런닝맨: 리벤져스) 2023/08/10 18 247 25 532
  • Like 1

'Concrete Utopia' tops box office in first weekend

SEOUL, Aug. 14 (Yonhap) -- The Korean disaster thriller film "Concrete Utopia" drew over 1 million moviegoers over the weekend, topping the local box office in the first week of its release, data showed Monday.

The film attracted 1.12 million moviegoers from Friday to Sunday, accounting for 53.4 percent of total ticket sales, according to the data from the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

The movie has posted a cumulative 1.54 million viewers since it arrived in local theaters on Aug. 9.

Starring Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young, the disaster thriller follows the residents of the only apartment building that survived a catastrophic quake in Seoul as they fight for their lives.

A scene from the Korean disaster film "Concrete Utopia" is seen in this photo provided by Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A scene from the Korean disaster film "Concrete Utopia" is seen in this photo provided by Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Director Ryoo Seung-wan's crime action thriller "Smugglers," which stayed atop the box office for the previous two weeks, slipped to second place with 425,000 admissions over the weekend.

"Smugglers" has garnered 4.35 million admissions since its release on July 26, having passed its break-even point of 4 million.

Pixar Animation Studios' "Elemental" took third place with 192,000 viewers over the cited period. It has attracted 6.64 million viewers since its release on June 14.

"Ransomed," a Korean action film based on the true story of a hostage crisis in Lebanon, ranked No. 4, followed by "The Moon," a Korean space survival drama.

ejkim@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20230814002200315?section=culture/movies

• Like 1

‘Smugglers,’ ‘Concrete Utopia’ score at box office while 'The Moon' is a bust

Homegrown blockbuster films are vying for viewers this summer, with their distributors hoping to see consecutive releases bring back moviegoers.

But moviegoers’ taste for “something new” over impressive visuals and star-studded casting have determined the fate of major film releases.

20230815000178_0.jpg

Following the success of “Smugglers” is director Um Tae-hwa’s “Concrete Utopia,” a dystopian thriller which tells a story of the residents of Hwanggung Apartment No. 103, the only building left standing after a devastating earthquake in Seoul.

On the first opening weekend, “Concrete Utopia” attracted 1.12 million moviegoers as of Sunday and looks set to break even, as the film, which has a similar budget to "The Smugglers," nears 4 million moviegoers.

"Concrete Utopia" is based on a webtoon, which is a risk, since a lot of webtoon-inspired films have flopped here. The predictable, melodramatic conclusions of disaster flicks may also work against "Concrete Utopia," but the unprecedented setting of the film seems ot be a draw.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit ; Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230815000161

• Like 1

*** The movie drew over 2 million admissions in its first week of release. The film attracted over 1 million moviegoers in just four days since it arrived in local theaters.   :ohboy2:

'Concrete Utopia' attracts 2 million moviegoers to date

Main poster for ″Concrete Utopia″ [LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT]

“Concrete Utopia,” which was released Aug. 9, has already attracted a total of 2 million moviegoers as of Tuesday, distributor Lotte Entertainment said the same day.

“Concrete Utopia” beat fellow summer Korean blockbuster “Smugglers” to top ticket sales at theaters, raking in a sales share of 53.4 percent over the weekend. This means that one out of two people who visited the cinema bought a ticket for the film.

“Smugglers” had kept its top place at the box office for two consecutive weeks since its release, surpassing its breakeven point and recording 4.35 million ticket sales before giving up the top spot to “Concrete Utopia.”

“Concrete Utopia” is about the residents of a fictional Imperial Palace Apartment, the only building which was not destroyed by a disastrous earthquake that devastated most of Seoul. Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-jun and Park Bo-young star in the film.

“Concrete Utopia” and “Smugglers” are one of four domestically produced films expected to revive the stagnant film industry this summer, along with “The Moon” and “Ransomed.” Out of the four, “The Moon” and “Ransomed” has not gathered even a million moviegoers to date, and are unlikely to pass their breakeven points.

However, Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer,” opening in theaters on Tuesday, is likely to change the box office race soon.

BY LIM JEONG-WON [lim.jeongwon@joongang.co.kr]

credit : JoongAngDaily
  • Like 1

*** The stars and director of "Concrete Utopia"  have received official invites to the 48th Toronto International Film Festival, scheduled to take place from September 7th to 17th and they are attending. They will have the opportunity to interact with their global fans during the stage greeting and the red carpet events at the upcoming festival. Notably, Lee Byung Hun and Park Seo Joon will engage in meaningful interactions with their fans through TIFF’s 2023 In Conversation With series at TIFF Bell Lightbox on September 10th.    :heart1:

F3E9MNdaIAAhZeH-1536x1097.jpeg

Source: Lotte Entertainment

• Like 1

*** On August 14th, Park Seo Joon uploaded on his IG account several photos with the caption “Road to Concrete Utopia”. -  One of the pictures show him standing with one hand holding onto the wall, wearing a black suit, he puts the other hand on his waist and looks somewhere to make a cool pose. He has this flawless side profile with distinctive features, such as sharp jawline and nose bridge. There's also one photo where he sits on the stage of a theater and smiles brightly. He is in a casual look with jeans with dotted patterns. Next, Park Seo Joon is seen smiling happily when holding a bouquet of flowers and a placard over his head. He also revealed his serious appearance when leaning towards the screen to monitor the shoot. Next, where he looks exhausted in the selfie he took when wearing a head lantern. Lastly, his lovely side suddenly appears in the picture taken behind his back. The cute frog bag on his back captured my attention. Hahaha -    :happydance:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv6ctKwySKb/?img_index=10

park-seo-joon-1-1408233.jpeg

park-seo-joon-1-1408231.jpeg

park-seo-joon-1-1408232.jpeg

• Like 1

*** The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors! The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from July 10 to August 10.   :Megathanks:

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Jung Hae In
  2. Jo In Sung
  3. Son Suk Ku
  4. Ha Jung Woo
  5. Lee Byung Hun
  6. Ma Dong Seok
  7. Park Bo Young
  8. Go Min Si
  9. Kim Hye Soo
  10. Kim Tae Ri
  11. Go Won Hee
  12. Yum Jung Ah
  13. Park Seo Joon
  14. Gong Yoo
  15. Jeon Hye Jin
  16. Lee Joon Hyuk
  17. Go Yoon Jung
  18. Kang Ki Young
  19. Lee Jung Jae
  20. Cha Seung Won
  21. Kim Sun Young
  22. Lee Jong Suk
  23. Han Hyo Joo
  24. Hyun Bin
  25. Park Sung Woong
  26. Lee Je Hoon
  27. Ahn Sung Ki
  28. Seo In Guk
  29. Jung Woo
  30. Song Joong Ki

restmb_allidxmake.php?pp=002&idx=3&simg=

restmb_allidxmake.php?pp=002&idx=3&simg=

source : http://www.beyondpost.co.kr/view.php?ud=202308100828411793499def050a_30

• Like 1

*** "Concrete Utopia" finally hit the silver screen on August 9 despite being delayed for almost two years. , The movie is receiving a positive responses from the audience. Park Seo Joon participated in an interview, and discussed some stories of his journey working on the big project. He plays as a minor character. But despite him portraying a supporting role, he is said to be the one who suffered the most in filming the movie. Park Seo Joon mentioned that he ran around the most and did the most action in the movie. He was the one who suffered the most physically. But, Park Seo Joon is satisfied with the drama. He shared that Min Sung's emotional line was important in the flow of the play that's why he made an effort to express these parts in detail. It was a challenge for him to choose how much he should show certain emotions.   :heart2:

park-seo-joon.jpg?w=820

concrete-utopia.jpg?w=820

source : https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=015&aid=0004880121

• Like 1

“Concrete Utopia” Gets Unanimously Selected As Korean Submission For 96th Academy Awards

“Concrete Utopia” Gets Unanimously Selected As Korean Submission For 96th Academy Awards

“Concrete Utopia” will be competing in the International Feature Film category at the 96th Academy Awards!

On August 17, the Korean Film Council announced that “Concrete Utopia” had been selected as the Korean film to be submitted in the International Feature Film category for the 96th Academy Awards.

Regarding the selection criteria, the judges stated, “We wanted to select a film that feels Korean but is also geared towards the global standard, that strikes a good balance between artistic and mainstream, and that can appeal to the Academy Awards, which is often perceived as conservative.”

Only one film per country can be submitted in the Academy’s International Feature Film category each year. This year, “Concrete Utopia” and “Cobweb” competed as finalists for South Korea’s submission.

Explaining why “Concrete Utopia” was selected, the judges commented, “In Korea, an apartment building symbolizes class and wealth. After only the low-income housing complex Hwang Goong Apartments was left standing [in ‘Concrete Utopia’], the various desires of the characters struggling for survival were well-portrayed. It is an original story well-led by Lee Byung Hun.”

They added, “At a time when global recession and natural disasters are hitting every corner of the globe, ‘Concrete Utopia’ features not heroes, but ordinary people trying to survive. It touches on the themes of class found in the award-winning film ‘Parasite.'”

“Concrete Utopia” is a disaster thriller about the aftermath of a devastating earthquake. The movie follows the story that begins when the survivors gather at Hwang Goong Apartments, the only building left standing in an earthquake-ravaged Seoul.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1607698wpp/concrete-utopia-gets-unanimously-selected-as-korean-submission-for-96th-academy-awards

• Love 1

*** In a recent interview with Korean media, Park Seojoon candidly discussed his desire for a change in genre. He remarked, "Having greeted the audience through rom-com so often, I’ve found myself wanting to explore different types of works as well, so that's why I think I haven't done any (rom-com) in a while. While every rom-com is different, I want to have a genre shift (in projects that I do) and I don’t want to lose the fun in being able to do that." Sigh...... but, I love him in a rom-com genre. Yes, he has been venturing into diverse genres lately and it's good for his career. But, I hope he won't depart from his signature romantic comedies. It will be a letdown for me if this will happen. I'm a devoted fan of rom-com genres especially his rom-com dramas. 'What's Wrong with Secretary Kim' was his last rom-com he has done. It's also good that he has a stronger desire to try other things. 'Concrete Utopia' and the Netflix series 'Gyeongseong Creature' are both of different genres. I'm curious what will come next, but I am sure he will keep choosing exciting things. Although, I hope a good rom-com may come his way so, I still can see him with this kind of genre in the future.   :kisslevel:

20230817_065204_902_ome-1.jpeg

• Like 1

Park Seo Joon Talks About Stepping Away from Rom-Coms for Fresh Endeavors

bae9eeab-6a9e-4f10-bdf1-c5ef6ce76c97.jpg

202308170937215419242_20230817094708_01_

Park Seo Joon has revealed why he’s taking a break from rom-coms.

Park Seo Joon, who rose to stardom as the “king of rom-coms” through dramas like She Was Pretty, Fight for My Way, and What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim, has recently been exploring various genres beyond romantic comedies. This shift has left his fans with a tinge of disappointment.

In a recent interview with HeraldPOP, Park Seo Joon opened up about his desire for a genre shift.

Park said, “Having greeted the audience through rom-coms so often, I’ve found myself wanting to explore different types of works as well. While every rom-com is different, I want to offer a change in genre. And I don’t want to lose that excitement.”

He continued, “I started this challenge after finishing What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim. Since then, I seem to have chosen not to go with rom-coms. This is a mindset I’d like to continue with.” Stressing his point, he added, “Of course, I like rom-coms. It’s not like I won’t ever do it, but I have a stronger desire to try other things.”

However, Park left the door open for future rom-com projects, saying, “With films like Concrete Utopia and the Netflix series Gyeongseong Creature, which are both of different genres, I don’t know what will come next, but I think I’ll keep choosing exciting things. Though I say this, if I come across a good rom-com, I might still do it.”

Meanwhile, Park Seo Joon has recently returned to the big screen with Concrete Utopia. This disaster film depicts the story of survivors gathering in the sole remaining apartment building after an earthquake has reduced Seoul to ruins.

Also, his new Netflix series Gyeongseong Creature with Han So Hee is slated for release later this year.

source : https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=112&aid=0003648159

• Like 2

'Concrete Utopia' selected as S. Korea's Oscar entry

SEOUL, Aug. 18 (Yonhap) -- Korean disaster thriller "Concrete Utopia" will represent South Korea at next year's Academy Awards, its distributor said Friday.

The Korean Film Council (KOFIC) has chosen the film as the country's entry for the best international feature film category of the 96th Academy Awards, according to Lotte Entertainment.

Directed by Eom Tae-hwa, the apocalyptic movie follows the residents of the only apartment building that survived a catastrophic earthquake in Seoul as they fight for their lives. It stars Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young.

The council said the film was chosen as South Korea's entry for the Oscars as it expertly explores the topic of class conflict, the main theme of Bong Joon-ho's film "Parasite," which won best picture, best director, best original screenplay and the best international feature film at the 92nd Academy Awards in 2020.

"The film features ordinary people struggling to survive in apartments, the most representative Korean symbol of wealth," the review committee said.

"Concrete Utopia" has drawn over 2.2 million admissions since its release on Aug. 9.

The Oscar's non-English movie section requires each country to submit a single film as their official representative.

The 96th Academy Awards are slated for March next year.

The poster of "Concrete Utopia" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor, Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The poster of "Concrete Utopia" is seen in this photo provided by its distributor, Lotte Entertainment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

ejkim@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20230818001100315?section=culture/movies

• Like 1

[Box office] Movies in theaters this week

20230810000774_0.jpg

“Concrete Utopia”

(South Korea)

Opened Aug. 9

Thriller/Disaster

Directed by Um Tae-hwa

Residents of Hwanggung Apartment building No. 103, the only building that has survived a destructive earthquake, initially see their building as a “utopia,” but it soon devolves into a nightmare.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230817000755

• Like 1

*** “The Marvels” director Nia DaCosta and production team shared stories about Park Seo Joon’s character in the movie from Total Film magazine recently. The director said that “Park Seo Joon’s character is important to the movie. She said, "Park Seo Joon’s character is really awesome, and it’s really fun when you realize his relationship to Captain Marvel (Brie Larson). He’s a definite ally to Captain Marvel. Someone from her past that is meaningful as a friend to her, and so he and his people are important to Captain Marvel.“ The movie “The Marvels” is scheduled to be released on November 10th. Park Seo Joon is known to play the role of Prince Yan, Captain Marvel’s husband, in “The Marvels”.   :kitty:

park-seo-joon-marvel-1-081923.png

park-seo-joon-marvel-11-081923.png

source : https://v.daum.net/v/20230819001247017

• Like 1

*** On August 20th, Park Bo Young released a photo taken with Park Seo Joon through Instagram story with the caption “Minseong and Myeonghwa during stage greeting“.  In the photo, they are looking at the camera and making humorous expressions. The chemistry between the two, who put their heads together and make cute expressions looked hilarious. In particular, Park Bo Young wrote “Naughty” next to Park Seo Joon, suggesting that they have close friendship.   :heart3:

park-bo-young-park-seo-joon-1-2103231-42

• Like 2

11 Great K-Dramas To Binge Watch With Your Friends

K-dramas have been a treasure trove when it comes to celebrating the many shades of friendship in all its glory. There’s the good, the bad, the ugly, the heartwarming to the heartbreaking, and sometimes funny and bittersweet. Friends are life, and no one said it better than these dramas. And somewhere along the way, you end up befriending these characters as well. Here are 11 K-dramas you can revisit with your tribe.

Fight My Way

Fight-my-way-2-.jpg

Dong Man (Park Seo Joon) is a taekwondo and martial arts expert. But after losing a competitive fight, Dong Man has lost his self confidence and puts his dreams on the back burner. His best friend Choi Ae Ra (Kim Ji Won), an aspiring news anchor, is not too keen on him being back in the fighting arena. But Dong Man needs to win that one bout, despite a health issue, to get his confidence and self-esteem back as an athlete. In the meantime, as Ae Ra auditions for one gig after the other, her best friend Seol Hee (Song Ha Yoon), who works at a home shopping network, lacks confidence in herself and her relationship. She is involved with Joo Man (Ahn Jae Hong), but they hide their relationship at work, especially since Joo Man is a senior and also comes from a different social strata. Can they overcome the social hierarchy and class divides which tend to suffocate their relationship?

“Fight My Way” struck a chord for its realism. A story of ordinary people and the burning desire to make it big against all odds, the drama resonated with viewers. The four friends have their own issues, but their bond is so strong that they know they aren’t alone. Park Seo Joon is adorable as the unassuming Dong Man, and Kim Ji Won as the opinionated Ae Ra is a multi-dimensional character who stood out for being most expressive.

Start watching “Fight My Way”:

Watch Now

Hwarang

hwarang-.jpeg

Hwarang, also known as the Flower Knights, were an elite group of young men from high ranking families who were well versed in philosophy, religion, and arts. They were also martial arts experts in the Silla kingdom. The legend of the Hwarang grew over the years and was romanticized in popular culture. “Hwarang” revisits the legacy of these charming flower boys and is a coming-of-age drama about a group of young soldiers who band together to form a new “Silla” on the way of discovering love, friendship, and their own selves. The show is best remembered for its star-studded cast including Park Seo Joon as the brave and free-spirited Moo Young and Park Hyung Sik as the crown prince Sam Maek Jong. Moo Young and Sam Maek Jong are both smitten by Kim Ah Ro (Go Ara), a girl of aristocratic birth. There’s also the flirty yet chivalrous Kim Soo Ho (SHINee’s Minho), the happy-go-lucky Suk Han Sung (BTS’s V) as well as Park Ban Ryu (Do Ji Han) and Kim Yoo Weol (Jo Yoon Woo), each with their own agenda. The show also marks the origins of how the Wooga Squad, the famous friend group, came into being.

From boys to men, the Hwarang embark on a journey of self discovery as they fight off political intrigues, overcome their fears, and discover love. But it is the brotherhood amongst the boys which emerges as the star of the show.

Start watching “Hwarang”:

Watch Now

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 1

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2023.08.18 ~ 2023.08.20

credit : https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do

Films Release date Week-end Total
1 "Oppenheimer"   773 080 1 591 845
2 "Concrete Utopia" (콘크리트 유토피아) 2023/08/09 480 587 2 790 855
3 "Honey Sweet" (달짝지근해: 7510) 2023/08/15 245 150 457 054
4 "Smugglers" (밀수) 2023/07/26 144 469 4 776 802