[Drama 2013] Her Legend / Her Myth 그녀의 신화

StaRix

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The text preview for today went a bit too far when it said that JS Aunt became DY's housekeeper. Looks like that's going to happen tomorrow, but she hasn't got that job as of today.

What happened was that Evil Aunt came on a buttering-up visit do DY's Seoul house and DY apologized to her for not being able to offer her much in the way of hospitality since her trusty housekeeper from the beach villa hadn't wanted to leave her family to come and work for them in Seoul and she was currently trying without much success to find a suitable replacement.

At that point Evil Aunt has one of her instant nasty brainwaves, and she suggests herself for the job, pointing out that she knows all about how to look after her supposed niece in a way no stranger could. DY is taken aback by the proposal, and answers very non-committally.

Later that evening, she tells her husband, who is just as doubtful as she is about the idea. (We should perhaps remember that DY has no memories of what Evil Aunt was like when they met, and massively disliked, each other, in JS's childhood days. But her husband of course has such memories, and he remarked on the apparent huge change in the Aunt's character when they met again and found it hard to credit.) They decide, however, to put the matter to KH. If it's really what she would like, then they'll agree.

But so far, DY hasn't told KH about this possibility. She was on the verge of broaching it today after KH pulled another clever stunt by recalling what JS once told her about "her Ajumma's" marvellous pasta when DY serves up pasta as the first meal she's cooked for her in the Seoul house. KH seizes on the opportunity to "remember" her first taste of DY's spaghetti,  even though DY has lost all recollection of it. But DY catches herself at the last moment and postpones asking the question about the housekeeper appointment.

I wouldn't be surprised to find tomorrow that Evil Aunt tips KH off and ask her to suggest herself to DY that her "aunt" would make a perfect housekeeper. Even though KH hates the sight of her parents, she's badly in need of a gatekeeper to make sure JS doesn't get inside the house, as well as an on-the-spot ally and potential spy from whom she has nothing to hide.

Guest prosperity

nikkij said: I am waiting for subs but can someone tell me why she got fired.  I am really pissed at the notion that yet another bad thing is happening to JS.  How did Milano get her bag design?

Actually, it's even more devious than has so far been explained.

Yoo Ara, confronted privately by Min Ki, admits to him that the design wasn't hers and stands to be dismissed from the company as a result, although JS, once satisfied that Ara has admitted her guilt to Min Ki and won't do it again, begs JH to use his influence to stop Ara being fired. (The fact that the girl she went out of her way to save responded by stabbing her in the back is why JS gives her that parting look: maybe that will start to teach JS about the folly of thinking everyone is as nice as she is.)

However, the matter is too serious to be passed over that way, and a formal inquiry has to be held. But when asked in the meeting whether she stole JS's design, Ara unexpectedly holds to her original story that JS must have stolen the design, but admits that she in turn passed off as her own a design for one of next season's Red Milan products which was passed to her by a contact in the New York office. At which, KH hands out copies of the fax that has just arrived from Red Milan confirming that the design originated with them, though of course that's not true since we heard KH arranging with her crony at Red Milan to concoct the fax.

So the inquiry apparently brings two quite separate copying offenses to light, albeit both concerning the same design.  The finding is that Yoo Ara passed off one of Red Milan's designs as her own, and JS then allegedly, not realizing that the design was supposedly already stolen, copied it from Yoo Ara and tried to claim the credit for it and get Yoo Ara dismissed in the hope of taking her place in the team.

The end effect is that Yoo Ara stays on under a confidential disciplinary warning, and JS has to go, despite the attempts of JH to appeal to his grandfather on JS's behalf (his grandfather furiously dismisses his arguments, implying that his grandson's obvious soft spot for JS is still further evidence that his judgement can't be trusted where women are concerned) and despite also MK's appeal to Choi Soo Ho, saying that, whatever the origins of the design Yoo Ara submitted, he is absolutely certain that the design in JS's notebook was all her own work. Soo Ho concedes that MK may be right, but argues that JS's fate is secondary to preserving the reputation of the company (and as usual in Kdramas, he backs that up by saying that this isn't about profits for the owners, it's about ensuring the livelihoods of thousands of employees). So JS will be dismissed for attempting company-internal plagiarism of a Shinwha designer's work (a matter that, if it arouses any public interest at all, will merely show the high standards of integrity Shinwha enforces) but what Yoo Ara did will be passed over in silence, since bringing that to light would cast a serious slur on the company's behaviour via a vis other companies  (and KH undertakes to use her standing with Red Milan to get them to relinquish any claims to the design, since Shinwha is already committed within industry circules to making it their lead design of the season. Since it was never Red Milan's design in the first place, and since no-one at Red Milan even knows about the design or the fax apart from the crony who agreed to send it, it's very easy for KH to deliver on that apparently major promise, while at the same time ostensibly performing yet another "service" for Shinwha for which grandfather will be grateful.

The three co-workers who talk about what's happened after JS has departed with the manager to finalize her dismissal at the HR office while Ara keeps uncomfortably silent are saying that they don't believe she would steal a design from another team member, and they can't see how she, with no insider contacts to the other big industry players, could have any access to Red Milan's next season's designs, so she can't really have stolen it independently from there, either The older female is in the course of saying that since the finest designers succeed precisely because of their sensitive antennae for forthcoming trends, it's not inconceivable that two such designers can arrive independently at very similar designs, but she's cut short by the returning manager who declares that the whole topic is now closed and mustn't be raised again.

Though apparently leading to nothing in the Luna team, that line of defense is exactly the one we see JH arriving at himself. He, too, is as unable to believe in JS's guilt as he is to contest the apparently incontrovertible evidence that the design really does belong to Red Milan. But he recalls how, years ago, JS dumbfounded him by proving that,  thanks to the sort of fashion antennae her erstwhile co-worker talks about, she had indeed come up totally independently with the same design as one just about to be released by a major fashion house, and he gives her the photo she once pasted to the display window and which he has kept ever since, as a sign of how, and why, he believes in her innocence.

He says there's "something else" he's come to give her, too, but as he reaches into his pocket for the phone she gave back to him, another text from MK comes in and he decides not to hand the phone over to her just yet or to let on  that it was indeed the phone he was planning to give her back. "Your folks are waiting for you, so go inside now. I'll give it you next time."  And he goes to deal first with the sender of that text...

Oh, one more thing....  JS's nickname for JH does indeed come to light in this episode. When she arrives back drunk with her friend at the house, she says very loudly, "Gosh I must really be wasted. I thought I just saw Cucumber Prince standing right there".  If the subber sticks with "Jerk Face" this line is going to be a bit of a problem...

The uncle got enough sobering-up soup down the gullet of JS's friend to get the story of what happened from her while JS was dealing with JH. We see no more of what happened at the house after thatin today's episode, because we follow JH downtown to meet MK waiting by JS's normal sales spot.

So the uncle witll be coming to the company tomorrow to find Soo Ho (not because he knows SH is JS's father, but because he's a big shot in the company that fired JS whom he knows from his childhood.)  What, if anything, that will do for JS isn't clear (we see that she doesn't get her job back, but somehow or other she seems to get a sales assistant job in store that's upmarket enough to be patronized by DY, suggesting someone put a word in for her, though she may not know that). But it's plain that it reveals to SH that he has a daughter and that his daughter's mother died in poverty and isolation after he abandoned her for richer pickings. Whether or not he'll tell anyone else, including JS's uncle, about that is a different matter.  His graveside (or cliff-top) manner seems to involve apologetically addressing the departed and saying, in effect  "Sorry I'm going to do some dirty deals you wouldn't approve of, but hey, you're dead, and I'm not..."

I don't think JS will go looking for justice over the dismissal. She's not one to ever look back. Indeed, she didn't raise any sort of protest in the first place, aside from privately challenging the perpetrator. It was MK, tipped of by the witnessing co-worker  who pressed on with the matter without consulting JS about her wishes, forced a confession from Yoo Ara then pushed for the inquiry, believing it would vindicate JS and at the same time bring her designing talent to the attention of top management.

But something just struck me. In the teaser for this week's episodes, we saw snatches of a scene in KH's office where JS was desperately pleading with KH to "help her".  But in what appears, from the costumes and the setting, to be the corresponding scene in the actual episode, the encounter was played very differently. Far from throwing herself on KH's mercy, JS tells her outright that she now sees that she's had it in for her from the very start, though she can't for the life of her think why. It could be that a certain amount of un-doormatting of JS's character has taken place in the script conferences, which I think we all agree was somewhat overdue.

As I've said several times before, the uncle certainly doesn't know that SH is JS's father. It's unthinkable that he'd have let his sister's child suffer so long and so much at his wife's hands if he'd known there was someone else who would be more likely to take better care of her.  I'd be very surprised if he even knows who JS's father is after tomorrow's episode either. It's likely he goes to see SH purely and simply to tell him about an injustice done to his niece. And not because he's any inkling that SH is JS's father, but simply because he hopes that the man who was brought up alongside him will heed his pleas on behalf of an orphan who's been evilly treated by the company where SH is CEO.

Ep 9 clips:
I love this clip, I love that JH confesses to MK first, but NOT in a dominating way, like " she mine, you can't have her." No wonder he looks so giddy and happy in the episode 10 preview.:x

So cute and adorable, he paid for all her "cafe freebie cards."  :\"> like @baduy mentioned.

credit: JTBC drama youtube page

MK

I think after speaking with KH will not want to tell JS that KH is living with DY because he will believe that she would be hurt that DY adopted another child. I do not think he will be an wiser about the deception and KH will not tell him.   He needs to find out about their relationship in order to at least be on the right track of the truth.   JS will not talk to him about her relationship with KH because of the lie KH told her and we all know why KH will not speak.

Wow, I love that this thread is getting more people who like this drama and post all different opinions, viewpoints, interpretations  of the plot and characters. :DIn today's episode, I also really like the part where JH is frustrated, and he is solving his mathproblems while laying on the couch, and he drops his notebook, full of math problems,but you also see that he doodles JS's name many times in the pages of the notebook. So cute andadorable :\"> I can't find that clip on youtube, but if you watch the raw, it starts at the 7 min. mark.

Archived