[Drama 2013] Goddess of Marriage 결혼의 여신

Guest jobogae

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SexyDolceVita

@SexyDolceVita

Seriously? Korean viewers don't buy her character? I don't buy why they don't buy. I totally empathize with her predicament. And her being a flawed character makes it all the more realistic!

I think TW has always tried to make his move on her, which made her uncomfortable. And as to why she decided to accept his proposal, I believe the family and friends pressure on her to accept plays a big role. 

I believe in the Chinese culture influenced society, there're still many people who get married because 1) their family says it's time to do so 2) age, not because of love.

Yeah it is true korean audiences dont like jh...and the whole love triangle set up.

I read several interviews done with kim ji hoon, most of them asked kjh why tw is still so crazy about jh when it is obvious she already said she doesnt love him. These questions reflected the perspectives of korean audiences towards this drama.

But i also read that when fireworks 2000 was broadcasted, lee young ae's character, ji hyun, was disliked by korean audiences too. Cha in pyo gained a lot of sympathy votes from both koreans and overseas audiences, esp. Taiwan, where the drama was a massive hit in their local tv ratings.

Since ji hye and ji hyun are both flawed characters, and you just cant win at all with flawed characters, it is quite expected that korean audiences cannot accept them.

However, i like flawed characters like ji hye and hye jung, and even tae wook... they are not perfect like some korean drama characters are...i wont mention which ones but there are SO many!

they do the things we wld do, they make mistakes, they have different sides...they break down, they fall, they pick themselves up, they try to keep walking...they change directions when their paths lead to nowhere...or they may just jump off the cliffs....

Sometimes, i do feel korean audiences are quite hard to please...maybe because there are SO many dramas broadcasted daily, weekly...that korean audiences are such professional drama watchers that their standards are like 10,000 feet above normal airspace of airplanes.

South Korea is indeed the top Asian country that prolifically produces above average quality TV dramas...sorry...China dramas may be an abundant lot but quality wise...ahem.

Taiwanese dramas are getting worse now as their talents are moving up north to China to earn Yuan dollars instead of New Taiwan notes.

Hong Kong is duopolised by TVB and ATV, which really bore its citizens so much that most HK audiences are now habitual Korean drama watchers.

The other Asian countries do not have such a prolific, vibrant and professional tv drama industry too, so they import korean dramas to fill in time slots on local tv channels.

So i guess standards of audiences differ across countries and cultures. A korean drama may not be popular back home with good ratings but it may be widely popular overseas... maybe GoM is one of these cases, or so i wish...

SexyDolceVita said:

kooriyuki

wrote:

»

@SexyDolceVita

Seriously? Korean viewers don't buy her character? I don't buy why they don't buy. I totally empathize with her predicament. And her being a flawed character makes it all the more realistic!

I think TW has always tried to make his move on her, which made her uncomfortable. And as to why she decided to accept his proposal, I believe the family and friends pressure on her to accept plays a big role. 

I believe in the Chinese culture influenced society, there're still many people who get married because 1) their family says it's time to do so 2) age, not because of love.

Guest SexyDolceVita

SexyDolceVita said:

kooriyuki wrote: »

@SexyDolceVita

Yeah it is true korean audiences dont like jh...and the whole love triangle set up.

I read several interviews done with kim ji hoon, most of them asked kjh why tw is still so crazy about jh when it is obvious she already said she doesnt love him. These questions reflected the perspectives of korean audiences towards this drama.

But i also read that when fireworks 2000 was broadcasted, lee young ae's character, ji hyun, was disliked by korean audiences too. Cha in pyo gained a lot of sympathy votes from both koreans and overseas audiences, esp. Taiwan, where the drama was a massive hit in their local tv ratings.

Since ji hye and ji hyun are both flawed characters, and you just cant win at all with flawed characters, it is quite expected that korean audiences cannot accept them.

However, i like flawed characters like ji hye and hye jung, and even tae wook... they are not perfect like some korean drama characters are...i wont mention which ones but there are SO many!

they do the things we wld do, they make mistakes, they have different sides...they break down, they fall, they pick themselves up, they try to keep walking...they change directions when their paths lead to nowhere...or they may just jump off the cliffs....

Sometimes, i do feel korean audiences are quite hard to please...maybe because there are SO many dramas broadcasted daily, weekly...that korean audiences are such professional drama watchers that their standards are like 10,000 feet above normal airspace of airplanes.

South Korea is indeed the top Asian country that prolifically produces above average quality TV dramas...sorry...China dramas may be an abundant lot but quality wise...ahem.

Taiwanese dramas are getting worse now as their talents are moving up north to China to earn Yuan dollars instead of New Taiwan notes.

Hong Kong is duopolised by TVB and ATV, which really bore its citizens so much that most HK audiences are now habitual Korean drama watchers.

The other Asian countries do not have such a prolific, vibrant and professional tv drama industry too, so they import korean dramas to fill in time slots on local tv channels.

So i guess standards of audiences differ across countries and cultures. A korean drama may not be popular back home with good ratings but it may be widely popular overseas... maybe GoM is one of these cases, or so i wish...

But I read from some other blogs, actually from koalasplayground and dramabeans, foreign viewers don't like GOM either. Which I seriously cannot get. Perhaps because it reflects real life more realistically people don't like? I totally dig GOM, and it's not because I

Wait a min...arent the bloggers from these websites koreans by descent too?

But it is also true to a certain extent, some foreign audiences dislike GoM too. Main reason is draggy, uninteresting, unexciting storylines. Most just want to go straight to the end and see jh and hw get together...hahaha. Some find it torturing, yup the china audiences literally labelled this drama as torturing even though most still continue to watch it for the sake of lee sang woo or lee tae ran as these two are widely popular in china.

Im in the foreign category and i like this drama because it is realistically different from the rest of the korean dramas, which keep playing the birth secret card. Cannot stand it. It is either chaebol prince paired with poor girl, love story with cancer elements, birth secrets, male revenge, orphan as hero or protagonist, or two foes fall in love eventually....etc.

SexyDolceVita said: Wait a min...arent the bloggers from these websites koreans by descent too?

But it is also true to a certain extent, some foreign audiences dislike GoM too. Main reason is draggy, uninteresting, unexciting storylines. Most just want to go straight to the end and see jh and hw get together...hahaha. Some find it torturing, yup the china audiences literally labelled this drama as torturing even though most still continue to watch it for the sake of lee sang woo or lee tae ran as these two are widely popular in china.

Im in the foreign category and i like this drama because it is realistically different from the rest of the korean dramas, which keep playing the birth secret card. Cannot stand it. It is either chaebol prince paired with poor girl, love story with cancer elements, birth secrets, male revenge, orphan as hero or protagonist, or two foes fall in love eventually....etc.

Guest raminrooz

There is something dark about JH,,, remember after JH told HW about her marriage in ep 5, HW didn't contact her for awhile,,,,then TW offered JH not to get married!,,,that was the golden opportunity for JH to break herself free,,but instead, she held on to TW because she thought she has lost HW and didn't want to lose TW too!! and called TW for the first time when TW didn't call her for a week,,,,saying she's leaving for her hometown,,,,when HW showed up again, she started pushing away TW again! This shows JH's greediness overcomes her love...JH is not just our perfect heroine in this drama...:) 

Guest SexyDolceVita

There is something dark about JH' date=',, remember after JH told HW about her marriage in ep 5, HW didn't contact her for awhile,,,,then TW offered JH not to get married!,,,that was the golden opportunity for JH to break herself free,,but instead, she held on to TW because she thought she has lost HW and didn't want to lose TW too!! and called TW for the first time when TW didn't call her for a week,,,,saying she's leaving for her hometown,,,,when HW showed up again, she started pushing away TW again! This shows JH's greediness overcomes her love...JH is not just our perfect heroine in this drama...:) [/quote']

I talked about that in one of my much earlier posts...

I also cldnt understand why she cldnt just say yes let's cancel the wedding.

Then when i rewatched the prior episode, i finally got it.

after hw got a shock of his life and left jh after she confessed she already had a fiance, jh thought hw was pissed at her and cannot accept her anymore.

When she returned home, and moped in her room...she overheard js' in laws praising jh as a fillial daughter for marrying a chaebol prince...her father wld be so proud of jh. She was influenced by what people think about her...she didnt want to disappoint anyone too.

Plus, during the so called cancel the wedding conversation with tw later, jh knew tw never really meant to cancel their wedding, he was just throwing harsh words at jh for avoiding contact with him, he was just throwing a fit. If it was so easy to cancel the wedding with tw, jh wld have successfully done that right after her jeju trip but rem how tw forced his way back into jh's life and pacified her about the one million us dollars?

So, i guess it is better to marry yourself off when you think the one you love has stop accepting you...

Better than disappointing your loved ones.

I wld have made the same decision as jh too, truthfully.

Btw, i dont think jh was greedy at all...she was just trying not to worsen her own situation and remain status quo since she thought the reason to cancel the wedding was not valid anymore since hw might not really love her after he heard about her existing engagement...

And just to clarify...jh was never meant to be the perfect heroine at all in this drama. It has been established from the start that like tw and hj, jh is a flawed character, she was never meant to be perfect! I think we ought to understand that in the first place! No one is immaculately perfect! We all have weaknesses and faults alongside our virtues! That is what we call a human being...the human condition.

I know it was hard for JH when she was confused about what to do after she got back from Jeju, but I have a question, if HW instead of telling JH to go through the marriage had told her to break up with TW that he would stay with her... Do you think she would have thought about her dad and sister opinion? Because I think they wouldn't agree with her, because in their eyes TW was a perfect guy. I am not sure about the answer, sometimes I think she wouldn't break up with TW, and HW knew that, so he tried to make her life easier. But on the other side, she was always confused in what to do, sometimes she wanted to continue with TW, sometimes she wanted to break up with him, so I don't know if she would have stayed with HW after all.

Thaila said: joojanah said: I completely agree with @kooriyuki and @ninaanin, this has been TW's big problem from the start: he's very self-centered and only cares about his feelings. It was very obvious in the way he talked her into marry him. "It doesn't matter if you don't love me, my love is enough" could sound sweet or whatever but it actually means he doesn't care if she doesn't love him, he wants them to get married for his happiness. 

Guest SexyDolceVita

Thaila said:

joojanah said:

I completely agree with @kooriyuki and @ninaanin, this has been TW's big problem from the start: he's very self-centered and only cares about his feelings. It was very obvious in the way he talked her into marry him. "It doesn't matter if you don't love me, my love is enough" could sound sweet or whatever but it actually means he doesn't care if she doesn't love him, he wants them to get married for his happiness. 

Dont kill me hahahhahabut dont you think JH is also somewhat self-centered? 

I dont blame TW or JH, I blame both. He is not doing enough? She isnt either. She should have the balls to come to him and tell him whatever she is feeling. Ask for divorce (not now), but she had a year to do that. A couple of weeks ago someone came in the forum and said that she felt sorry for TW because the only thing JH knew what to do was to say how the marriage was horrible. I completely disagreed with him, because in the end who was suffering with the evil mother in law was JH, who was suffering because of HJ was JH, who had to quit the job was JH... However right now, I dont blame TW anymore as I used to, as I said I still think it is his fault, but he is not alone.He never tried to understand her? She never tried to understand him. Nobody forced her into this marriage, I understand that it is hard to break up when everything is settle but again he was in love, she wasnt. when he told her that his love would be enough, I think he thought that with time she would fall for him. I blame him for many many things, but I cant blame him only when this marriage is about to fall apart.

Hahaha don't worry I won't :P I'm not a scary person

I think she was a friggin pushover and dumb to marry him but I didn't think she was self-centered because after all she got married in the end not to upset her family, and to keep the promise she made to him. She also tries really hard to comply with his family's whims, and she puts up with them because of TW. I wanted to pull my hair during the episodes in which she was 'deciding' whether to marry him or not, I was like guuuurl why are you marrying him if you're so miserable around him! Now the best for them is to just divorce, it's obvious to all of us that they can't make each other happy and like you said they just don't understand each other.

kooriyuki said:

@Thaila @SexyDolceVita

My two cents about why JH went ahead with the marriage, I think it's not easy to confess that she 1) does not love TW, 2) loves someone she knew only for three days instead, 3) loves him enough to have a one night stand and even considered eloping. I think we have to keep in mind that her older sister got pregnant first before getting married, which should be something shameful enough for their Dad. And we know JH is a sensitive person, so obviously she wouldn't want to disappoint her father, seeing how pleased he is with TW as son-in-law. Of course she doesn't have to go into great details confessing to her Dad that she loves someone else, but it is not something easy to tell the elders. 

Even though JH admitted that she is self-centered, at least she tried to adapt to that crazy family. I loved how at the episode of the time jump JH's makeup was pale like ghost. It totally shows how much stress she endured in the past year. Compare to TW, nothing has changed for him in married life, except that he now has to share his bed.

I'd like to think that TW is actually more in love with his ego that her, given that he said before to her before their marriage that if she doesn't marry him, he'll be looked down by his family and treated like a dog. Does that sound like someone who sincerely loves the fiancee? I do understand where he is coming from, since he had a tough childhood as well, strict regiment and I believe he received no love and warmth from his parents. He wants to prove that he is capable and successful to his family, but sadly his way of doing things is not very agreeable. It is one seriously f-ed up family here. 

I also agree with this... I know I was very annoyed at JH for going through with the marriage but I understand why she did it, and I was annoyed with the people surrounding her too for 'pushing' her into it. I like that this it not something ignored by the writer... when JH said that she shouldn't have let family and other people pressure her into it. After all, a year later they'd all be over it, but by getting married she still has to carry that burden.

Thaila said:

I think the night stand with HW is not the reason why she should have broken up with TW, if I am not wrong she said in one of the ep that she never loved TW, so she shouldnt have let the marriage go that far before she even met HW.

I also dont think TW loves JH, I actually hope he doesn't, I think his family never really showed love for him, so he doesnt know what that is, when he met JH he prob fell for her kindness and kind of misunderstood his feelings. 

Yeah, even if she didn't elope with HW she was already unhappy. I wished she'd called off the marriage for herself and maybe meet HW a year later or something.

Hahaha...then this drama wld end in two episodes...hahaha...

Actually, it wld be more interesting if we get to see how tw fights with his family for jh's freedom.

If we see tw putting in effort to be more attentive towards jh and finally moves out of cold castle with jh for a simpler life in their own apartment, that wld be great no?

And if sk has done so much for hw during his corruption crisis related to tj, hw wld feel indebted to sk too.

If tw displays a backbone against his family when tj's corruption cases surface, i think jh will look at him in a different light.

By abandoning his family and inheritance for jh, tw wld have shown how deep his love is for jh.

If tw slowly tries to read jh's writings and understand her better, he wld slowly win jh's heart.

Then when tw is being disowned by his chaebol family, jh wld definitely stay by his side because tw has sacrificed so much for her.

In that case, this drama wld be so interesting no?

At the end, we wld be wondering if jh will still leave tw and go back to hw, should hw calls off his engagement with sk.

Tw has changed into a real man with a conscience...

If he decides to let jh go because he thinks she still loves hw, and in the end, jh chooses to return to tw because she has come to appreciate him as her husband, this drama wld be quite appealing... in that universe, maybe it will end with tw and jh carving a new life for themselves in new york.

And hw and jh will remain true friends with a platonic relationship.

Im not dissing true love here but for once i wld like to see two parties working hard at their marriage and that growth and change are indeed possible.

Now this drama i wld like to watch...

SexyDolceVita said: Hahaha...then this drama wld end in two episodes...hahaha...

Actually, it wld be more interesting if we get to see how tw fights with his family for jh's freedom.

If we see tw putting in effort to be more attentive towards jh and finally moves out of cold castle with jh for a simpler life in their own apartment, that wld be great no?

And if sk has done so much for hw during his corruption crisis related to tj, hw wld feel indebted to sk too.

If tw displays a backbone against his family when tj's corruption cases surface, i think jh will look at him in a different light.

By abandoning his family and inheritance for jh, tw wld have shown how deep his love is for jh.
If tw slowly tries to read jh's writings and understand her better, he wld slowly win jh's heart.

Then when tw is being disowned by his chaebol family, jh wld definitely stay by his side because tw has sacrificed so much for her.

In that case, this drama wld be so interesting no?

At the end, we wld be wondering if jh will still leave tw and go back to hw, should hw calls off his engagement with sk.

Tw has changed into a real man with a conscience...

If he decides to let jh go because he thinks she still loves hw, and in the end, jh chooses to return to tw because she has come to appreciate him as her husband, this drama wld be quite appealing... in that universe, maybe it will end with tw and jh carving a new life for themselves in new york.

And hw and jh will remain true friends with a platonic relationship.

Im not dissing true love here but for once i wld like to see two parties working hard at their marriage and that growth and change are indeed possible.

Now this drama i wld like to watch...

I do that too, a lot when I like a character 
But you guys always try to understand JH, that she isn't a perfect character, that the writer wanted to show a real person with real behavior (i like this about her too) But when it comes to TW he has to be perfect, he has to understand her, he has to do this and that. hahahahhahahahha X_X

Guest SexyDolceVita

But you guys always try to understand JH, that she isn't a perfect character, that the writer wanted to show a real person with real behavior (i like this about her too)

But when it comes to TW he has to be perfect, he has to understand her, he has to do this and that. hahahahhahahahha

X_X

You know why tw has to do all that more than jh?

Because she doesnt really love tw as of now...

tw loves her more than she does him if there are some feelings in their relationship.

Tw has to try three times harder to prove to jh he is worthy of her love...

It may sound unfair but hey tw chooses this difficult path, no?

SexyDolceVita said:

Thaila

wrote:

»

But you guys always try to understand JH, that she isn't a perfect character, that the writer wanted to show a real person with real behavior (i like this about her too)

But when it comes to TW he has to be perfect, he has to understand her, he has to do this and that. hahahahhahahahha

X_X

SexyDolceVita said:

Thaila

wrote:

»

X_X

Archived