[Drama 2013] Jang Ok Jung 장옥정, 사랑에 살다

jerebtang

@smvd: I like your first post here a lot :) mostly about the relationship of LS/JOJ - Be it their childhood meetings or their adulthood interactions it's always about mutual attraction first. There is the ever palable emotional tension mixed with physical and sexual attraction and I'm glad the writer nor PD aren't afraid to show all those aspects of their connection. It's building up to be a very realistically developed relationship, the stars and the moon didn't align because of their fated romance, their connection won't be based on some predestined mythological crap that the writer would remind us every episode with the subtlety of a boomerang so we didn't forget they were REALLY meant to be.

About MTETS: I was never addicted to it - the writing and directing were below average and the cinematography lacked spark. However, the instrumental OST was brilliant and the child actors acted lights out plus KMS rocked as the queen and KSH shined as the king even though i'd rate his performance below YAI's because LS is the more complex and difficult character of the two by far and those agonized cries of YW's name almost every episodes seriously rattled my nerves.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About IH, I feel quiet bad for her too. She's been shown to be caring and kind, not any sort of evil that could be a threat. I think she's simply being used by her father who raised her to be a queen, she's growing up solely for that reason. I hope the writer will give her a motivation, a goal, it doesn't have to be love at any cost. Idk if she'll fall for LS, not because I'm rooting for the OTP, but I think it's just cliché, I want her character to be more than a mere rival in love. I'm all for the OTP and I really don't want to hate her character later lol
I think queen IK will die early, then minister Min would intervene, I'm sure he'll find a way to cover his wife's death to make IH queen. Since she's the only candidate left after all, everyone else withdrew. Maybe it's the reason she'll be dethroned later on who knows. LS would take advantage of that to make JOJ queen. But still a loooooong way before we get to that. Now I'm waiting to see JOJ and LS' reaction when learning about each other's identity. Him being crown prince/future king, her being a maiden in the palace (i suppose she'll be in next eps)

I have a question - I don't know Korean well enough to differentiate between modern speak and sageuk speak apart from the easy stuff. I heard that KTH speech still has a modern twinge to it? Can anyone elaborate? Is it distracting enough to "annoy" a viewer that understands? Just curious.

@briseis I don't want to talk about other drama here but well a little won't hurt right. I couldn't finish MTETS, it started good and refreshing but soon when I realize where it's going. I stopped and thought for a minute I realize why I felt completely unrelated to it. It was first love, it was destined, it was fate, it was everything but I couldn't help but wonder if any of them deserve it. It didn't help when the female lead didn't do anything through-out that made me root for her. The idea of love conquers all is a fairy tale to me, especially at that period of time, it may appeal at first because who doesn't like a happy ending ill fated romance that involves a king, but meanwhile if the pair themselves didn't fight hard for it, me viewer wouldn't buy their love in the end.
I was initially afraid before watching the childhood part of JOJ, but then they do it so right i can't thank the writer enough. When both our leads didn't let that short romance influence their life but let it fade with time, because it's what happens in life (you don't mourn over a lost first love for yearsss and blame the world for your unfortunate sort).  Here I can't blame either of them because they showed us how their worlds are so different, one that has so many responsibilities on his shoulder, other struggles to live as a lowly status. It foreshadowed what will happen when they meet again as adults. The sparkle is still there, the person they're attracted to is not the younger self but the actual person in front of them, there I found myself rooting for them to get another go at it.

Guest sasgrace

And Gosh is Yoo Ah In handsome here ! :o the scene when Inkyeong and he first meet, look at these eyes, these lips, this face... I couldn't stop grinning and I reacted same like IK. I replayed several times. Yoo Ah In shines here mainly because of this presence of his. KTH is not bad at all so far here. The actor of Yang hun is so charismatic and I understand why he is seeking revenge against minister Mean pups Min. I love JOJ character she reminds me a bit Ruoxi :) and prince DP reminds me 13th prince in BBJX a little. Last but not the least YAI and KTH chemistry is so working now ! :D

Guest katkat88

I for one hesitated to watch this because I didn't like Kim Tae Hee's acting in all her dramas and I only like Yoo Ah In in Sunkyungkwan.  And also with their 6 years age gap in addition to Yoo Ah In's baby face, I didn't think they' would have chemistry aside from the fact that I really hate Jang Ok Jung/Jang Hee Bin's character.  But then, I read how a certain blogger praises this drama so much insisting that it's better than the other drama made me curious about this drama. so I decided to try watching the first episode today. The first episode was so good that I watched the next three episodes in one sitting. I liked the main characters' love story and Kim Tae Hee and Yoo Ah In have chemistry. I was also not annoyed on Kim Tae hee's acting for the first time and I even feel that her acting is okay.  And about Yoo Ah In, I didn't know that even with a different type of hair, he still has an appeal and everytime he smiles and looks at Kim Tae Hee, I'm grinning from ear to ear.  I thought after That winter, the wind blows, no other dramas would interest me, I'm glad I discovered this drama and how I wish I can watch the next episode right now.

Guest livon123

@RanP I agree, I hope all the girls they will have a motivation or goal for what they are doing, not simply because they are used as a pawn by their father, being threaten, etc. I think all the characters in here are definitely complex it is nice for a change. I think you can find similarities in any drama, since they have a basic OTP and secondary characters to support it. Love, Revenge, Power is also center..
LOL, I am very open mind in terms of watching series - real life another story, anyway... I like to pair a lot of pairings, and when I think of a pairing I just write what I noticed about that pairing. So you guys will see me talk a lot like LS&JOJ, LS&IH, LS&SB, or JOJ&DP, JOJ&CS, etc. etc. haha, I like to appreciate the moments within the couple or individual characters. 
I kind of already seeing LS using his wife as a weapon to make all the girls hurt. He definitely different than JJH's portrayal in Dong Yi - in there JJH and all the girls get a long, that is my feeling. In here LS is more centered around being a king, loving JOJ. 
It is kind of funny because reading the history LS was king at 14 and IK was 10, lol the LS and IK, all the characters in here can pass for early twenties and later, so don't really match up (but I am guessing the story will go on for another twenty plus years, so for the majority of the drama the characters age will match).
--to be honest though, if I have to put myself in one of the consorts haha I think SookBin probably the character I prefer. IH is the road I like (work hard for love, and when you receive it that is the sweetest), OJ gets the real love, but ending not so great, SookBin road to get LS's heart is probably less hard compare to IH, not sure if she will receive love in here, definitely not as much as OJ -OTP always most love right, nonetheless SB still get to be with LS (King Sukjong) for the longest time. BUT i think on average all the girls were with the king over a decade. 
IK married LS (1671-80) total 9 years (apparently they have 2 princesses)IH married LS (1681-1701: 1681-1688 - 7 years, 1694-1701 - 7 years) 17 to 20 years. (sad :C no issue)JOJ married LS (1686-1701) 15 years (married doesn't mean they met that time haha, they can date) - rumor 2, for sure 1 prince4th queen IW (probably not shown) married LS (1702-1720) 18 years (no issue)SB married LS (1693-1718) 25 years rumor 3, for sure 2 princes

A warm welcome to our new addicts!Helloooo!! :-h
@ilwoo_aein thanks for the stills!looks like they are from upcoming episodes?Doesn't look like the one from episode 1.
@katkat88 Hey there!I really do find KTH 's beauty spellbinding in this drama,& JOJ is actually written historically to be the most beautiful wife of King SJ.Put aside her looks I think she's a great addition in this mix of acclaimed actors like YAI and Sung Dong Il,she's not flawless but she comes across so humble on the screen I actually like it.
@tessieroo thanks for the link!So glad you're hooked 
Oh so they are going to show the adult role of the girl who set up the fire,it seems that there are so much going on with Jae Hee not having made an appearance.@appl4 I think DP and Jae Hee's characters will share similar screen time.Come to think about it I think most of the secondary and lead characters have their own share of it.Hehe with Jae Hee do we get to see our mighty prince/future King brew with jealousy?
I'm curious how OJ's uncle will have her tempt SJ,seeing how she's going to maid...Ah writers are so crafty!

For those who want more insight on the characters..JANG OK JUNG OFFICIAL CHARACTERS DESCRIPTION BY KOALA .Ah I do hope for some inaccuracy,poor heart can't take it.

Even though a lot of people constantly criticize on KTH 's acting, I never felt she is that bad. She just got this mystery aura. The haters just want to bash on her since she constantly praised by her undeniable beauty and brain in Korea . I started to know KTH in My Princess and I have no problem with her acting.In JOJ, I swear she looks damn pretty.

I read somewhere that JOJ is similar to Dong Yi for the majority? Also, I am also seeing that JOJ dies in the end from an anime? I am a little confused. Can someone please elaborate or correct these rumors?  I am distraught by the fact that people are already judging this drama even though only 4 episodes are out!

I'm here to see how JOJ and LS fight for their love and hopefully they do. I believe that in modern times and in Joseon times human nature is the same and love takes nurturing. I know how the Dong Yi story line with King Sukjong can go - I saw it and I pretty much have it all memorized having seen DY at least 6 times all the way through, probably much more than that. So I'm looking for a new take, something to capture my heart. Marriage, be it a royal marriage - a legit one (Queen) or legit but not really (Consort) or a commoners one, they all require work. I guess I am most interested in how LS (King SK) and OJ (JHB) will make it work for them (at least for the duration that she's still alive). LS has proven to be quite shrewd and calculating to combat those greedy frienemies in govt. But there must be an even softer side to him... and I hoping that we can see this eventually. I see that he finds OJ interesting, fun and different... but I don't really get the feeling that he loves her yet (on top of knowing that he can't). He definitely has a longing for a real connection and not just a marriage out of convenience. Maybe it will be an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" a la Dong Yi and Yi San. Whatever it is, I hope that it keeps me rooting for them to the very end. Can we even call them the OTP. I don't know if my heart can take what really happened in history as the ending. Not Sookbin over Hee Bin. I will have to have many tissues prepared. YAI and KTH have really sold me their characters' love story already so it will be hard to let go.
hehe.,.. eventually I will not post as much I promise! Real life and sickness this week has me popping in and out of the thread at really random times.

currently watching ep 4 with sub - at work (errr, sorry boss) .. many interesting things i discovered.. but this one..

JOJep4.jpg

such conviction but it sounds ominous. i already feel so sad for both of them ..

some people complained JOJ's characters (the royal family) are so touchy feel-ly.. hurmmm... this is not a straighfwd sageuk after all..

as someone pointed out, i find it amusing as well that nobody's seemed shocked about a female in man's clothing here.. (i'm looking at you SKKS) hehhh..

oh, didn't KTH graduated frm Seoul-dae in Fashion Design?

Archived