New Features, Updates, Greetings and Salutations

soomp

Dear Soompi Friends and Family,
As always, it's been a while - hope everyone is doing well :D
I know our transition to this new forum software has been a bumpy one, but we're hoping we're almost there with ironing out all the kinks.
I wanted to give you guys an update on where we are, what we have left to do, and some of our upcoming plans.
We'll be upgrading the forum software soon (today, tomorrow?), which will include a couple of new features that we hope you like.
One that we are looking forward to is that you'll be able to see who gave you the reactions to your post ("awesome", "lol", etc), so you can see who likes your stuff, and maybe even make some new friends. On the flip side, you'll also be able to see who's flagged a post - hopefully this will prevent people from flagging perfectly good posts simply because they don't agree with them and use it only for legitimate reasons :P
20120720-tatxdkpxhjs43p4xqhttjiinp5.jpg
The other thing you'll notice is that you'll see all these new and useful "flyouts" where you can see your new notifications, messages, bookmarks, and settings without leaving the page you're on.
20120720-mqdg6i66rajqcsm479fucfbutk.jpg
I know the posting interface is still pretty buggy (a thousand apologies) - here are things at the top of the list:

• full-screen post/edit
  • show who's post you're quoting on the post screen
  • allow you to add links to images (a workaround is to add a space after the image, and include it when you select the image - this will allow you to add a link normally)
  • allow tags, for those who post a lot of images at a time
  • be able to wrap an image or video in spoiler tags
Hopefully this covers most of the remaining issues. Please let me know if I missed anything major (you can add @soomp to any post, and it will send me a notification). Speaking of "mentions" (@username), we will be requiring members who have usernames with spaces or special characters to change them in the near future, both for the sake of mentions, and to keep things tidy on our end.
One of our mods, endeavor., created this very useful "How To" guide for your reading pleasure.
We will be releasing some new (and very cute) badges that reward your activity in specific forums. Here are just a few:20120720-jf6cqy4dq1fiimdpn6xne4sgen.jpg
We launched this new design recently to accommodate members who didn't like the sea of white, though in making some people happy, others are sad. We'll keep tinkering with it to make it modern, yet easy on the eyes, especially for you Soompiers who like to browse in the dark.
The new design made a lot of people's avatars very fuzzzzzzzy - the quickest solution is to re-upload your existing avatar (you can grab the big version from your profile page), or upload a new one. It's because we increased the size of the avatar by popular demand, but the size of the actual image is still the original tiny version.
Bored much?? Never be bored again - check out the "Best Of..." page linked at the top of the forum. Here you can see what's popular on the forum right now, and discover all sorts of new content. There's also a leaderboard of who's writing the best posts these days - maybe you're one of them!
Phew, that was a lot of stuff. If you have any specific issues, you are always welcome to write us at support@soompi.com, and we'll do our best to help you.
In keeping with tradition, I shall sign off with a picture of my kids -
389274_10150839373415469_1189980302_n.jp
Carry on,-soomp

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest weetziebat

OMG, your little girl's bottom two teeth. SOO CUTEEE >_<!!

Anyways, I was wondering how to add friends with the new forum layout. Thanks for addressing this issue. I'm also looking forward to the feature that makes the names of people who like posts public~~

But if the names of flaggers are made public, won't that deter some people from flagging posts, even if it's for perfectly legitimate reasons? People who make posts that deserve to be flagged are usually angry, bitter, and illogical people. Personally, I wouldn't want to get on their bad side... Any who, I guess it doesn't matter. I've never read a flag-worthy post on Soompi~~

Guest thespringmaid

First off, OH EM GEE YOUR KIDS ARE TOO CUTE! <3 Second, thank you for all the efforts you've done for this forums. :) I've been with Soompi since like what...9 years ago? Haha. I used to read Shinhwa fics in the old website - strained my eyes like hell but who cares..it's Shinhwa!

Haha yay! I can finally see who rated me as awesome; I've been wanting to thank them! :) Can't wait for those badges too - they're cute!

Thanks again for the efforts! :)

I am enjoying the new Soompi format albeit with some glitches which hopefully will get sorted out soon. One thing I miss is the 'preview option' which had come up during the first makeover. Can't u re-introduce it, please? Thanks Admin.

Guest Tarits

Soompi is really wonderful. I like the new layout.  I delight in posting, in reading the news and I delight in the fact that Ihru Soompi,  have met and gained new friends  from all parts of the world! . Furthermore, I love it that I can spazz and just write what is in my heart for my favorite actor and get to know what the other actors are doing or what other fans are saying as well. I get to read fans reactions too to some dramas that I follow.

Indeed, to be at soompi is to be informed and be informed with a happy heart!

More power to Soompi.  BTWay, your kids are so cute!

Anyways, I was wondering how to add friends with the new forum layout. Thanks for addressing this issue. I'm also looking forward to the feature that makes the names of people who like posts public~~

But if the names of flaggers are made public, won't that deter some people from flagging posts, even if it's for perfectly legitimate reasons? People who make posts that deserve to be flagged are usually angry, bitter, and illogical people. Personally, I wouldn't want to get on their bad side... Any who, I guess it doesn't matter. I've never read a flag-worthy post on Soompi~~

We don't actually have a way of adding friends right now, those you can stalk follow people's posts by bookmarking them, or chatting them up on their "wall" or private messages. We're also eventually going to have it so you get notified when someone quotes you as well, so that will be another way to find people who share your line of thinking.
As for making flaggers public, I would be dishonest if I said I wasn't wary of it as well, but that's the way Vanilla built it, so we'll go in hoping for the best. If it turns into a big problem, then I will have to ask very nicely if they can modify it for us, but I'm hoping that it will be used and received fairly. Flagging should be reserved for blatant spamming or abusive (maliciously attacking someone personally, posting sexually explicit content, etc) posts, so posters who get flagged will likely get warned or even banned, depending on the nature of the post.

One thing I miss is the 'preview option' which had come up during the first makeover. Can't u re-introduce it, please? Thanks Admin.

Ah yes, I did forget about this missing feature. In theory, what you see in your edit screen should be what gets posted. It will help a lot once we get the full-screen edit box, since then you'll see most of what you posted (except for things like spoilers, embedded videos, etc). I think this one might be a while, because we may have to end up overhauling the entire WYSIWYG system, as it wasn't meant to accommodate things like bbcode, so we keep running into complications. *_* But I will add it to my master list.
Thanks for all the nice feedback - it's been challenging, but we'll get there guys!
-s

I really hope that with showing who has flagged you will stop the abuse of it but on the flip side, I also fill that it may cause tension with some members as well.
In my opinion, I think it would be better to reset all the spam/abuse that has been flagged on members and then let the new feature take in.
With past post, I have a feeling that members will send PM's to those that flagged them and a fight/argument may occur cause they do not see eye to eye.

I know I won't see eye to eye with the people that have flagged me, but I am just curious to know why.
I really hope that this new feature won't cause issues.

But I am excited for the other new features.
:)

Guest angel2nyt

are those your kids already?!?! they have gotten so big now!
congratulations on the new and improved site. It's so much pleasing to the eyes and it looks so much neater.

hi as a new member, i'm so overwhelmed at seeing the changes that's 

been happening each time i check out the site. i love the neat look. 

having frequently visited soompi for the past weeks, i saw the changes

appearing one by one. i was happy when you put the posts in boxes,

then you added our profile pictures. i was surprised one day to notice the

notification sign.

i vaguely remember the old look, just the stripes on the

top page comes to my mind. but it was the new look that turned me from 

a mere reader to a member i've been so wanting to be. it was the catchy

phrase, "howdy stranger" that made me decide i no longer want to be one.

i'm so happy to join you guys.

by the way, the kids are adorable.

soomp, would it be too much if i were to ask for a back to top page

button or link? thank you.

Guest green.teax

Not sure if this has already been addressed yet but the width of the posts is really narrow. 
P.S Your kids are adorable :)

Guest KittyBeatdown

@Soomp while I was commenting on an article it deleted what I said when I hit Post and gave me the option of "Save Draft, Preview, Post"

I know it's a bug, but maybe you guys don't know about it :)

Archived