[Drama 2012/13] The King's Dream 대왕의 꿈

WingLiner

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, @mannschaft for the information.  It's very interesting.  I love reading/watching historical noves/dramas but they are a lot of work.  Cos' I constantly have to check and see if the portrayal is accurate because I don't want to remember 'false' data :)  But I love a good spin too :)  In this drama they credited the shooting of the kite to the sky to Chunchu when it was actually Yushin's clever idea. 

It's sad to see the rift between Chunchu and Yushin.  But I would agree with Yushin. The path Chunchu is taking seems to be making Sila a vessel of Tang, as well as going back on his/Sila's word to Gogurygeo.  Alcheon's stand is more understandable.  But I agree with Yushin.  But in this drama, I guess in the end, Yushin will think that Chunchu has the right idea all along. 

O

said:

Thank you, @mannschaft for the information.  It's very interesting.  I love reading/watching historical noves/dramas but they are a lot of work.  Cos' I constantly have to check and see if the portrayal is accurate because I don't want to remember 'false' data :)  But I love a good spin too :)  In this drama they credited the shooting of the kite to the sky to Chunchu when it was actually Yushin's clever idea. 

It's sad to see the rift between Chunchu and Yushin.  But I would agree with Yushin. The path Chunchu is taking seems to be making Sila a vessel of Tang, as well as going back on his/Sila's word to Gogurygeo.  Alcheon's stand is more understandable.  But I agree with Yushin.  But in this drama, I guess in the end, Yushin will think that Chunchu has the right idea all along. 

@O: Episode 58, after a day and night battle with Silla, Baekje's forces begin to exhaust and surrounded in a small battleground. After having a few words with Gyebaek, Yushin leaves him and his remain combatants to be killed by arrows shot from Silla's soldiers.
Gyebaek was banished for a while before Hwangsanbul battles broke out, because king Uija didn't like him. When Silla defeated every Baekje army on the way and Hwangsanbul was the last one left before they reached Sabi (Baekje's capital), the king finally called him back. 
Gyebaek had already knew Baekje stood no chance against the Silla-Tang alliance. He also knew his family would be enslaved by the Sillans, so he killed them afterwards (it was also said he did that to heighten his troops' morale of patriotism). This occurence and his bravery spirits fighting to the last seemed to be the only things he was known for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hwangsanbeol

The writer made Yushin and Gyebaek became friends (episode 51) and then killing each other in battles (few episodes later); another thing was about Baekje prince  Buyeo Tae killed innocent Baekje citizens (the writer wanted to make Baekje looked like bad guys); neither of them was actual history. I wonder why he still insists adding incorrect events on some characters and makes them look weird and running around. By the way, luckily that he also includes history in several parts.

Thank you @mannschaft for the interesting tidbits.  Gyebaek was also an interesting character.  I'll be going to the library tomorrow and will look for a good book on the 3 Kingdoms.  Would like to read up on King Uija as well.  As a Crown Prince, he was a wise and compasionate man.  But as a King, he is more interested in his own pleasures and being surrounded with yes-men.

Episode 58 will be a sad one.  I am not looking forward to seeing the death of this honourable man.   I think Yushin will mourn Gyebaek's death more than Baekje would. 

Here is the information about the biggest temple Hwangnyongsa, which QSD had it built and finished but this event led to the rebellion of Bidam. Unluckily, the temple was destroyed during Mongol Invasion in the time of Koryo era.
The site of Hwangnyongsa Temple is located in front of the Bunhwangsa Temple in Guhang-dong, Gyeongju. During the Silla Era, the Hwangnyongsa Temple was the nation’s largest temple and housed the bulk of the country’s major Buddhist treasures. 
Construction of the temple began in 553 on a field near the royal compound of Banwolseong (Half Moon Fortress) under the commission of King Jinheung. The king originally planned to build a palace, but decided to build a temple instead, after receiving reports that a yellow dragon had been spotted on the building site. The temple was thus named Hwangnyongsa (Temple of Yellow Dragon) and was completed in 569, seventeen years after construction began. The temple murals feature an old pine tree drawn by Artist Solgeo. During the Silla Era, the temple was the center of state-sanctioned Buddhism. 
Later, when monk Ja-jang was studying in Tang, he came across a god as he was passing by the Taihe Pond. The god said to him, “the yellow dragon, which is my eldest son, is guarding Hwangnyongsa Temple upon orders of Brahma, the Creator. If you build a nine-story pagoda upon your return to Silla, the neighboring states will surrender and pay tribute, and the royal cause will be stronger. Once the construction of the pagoda is complete, prepare a memorial service for the local gods and pardon any of the country's criminals. If you follow all I have told you, no other state will dare invade Silla.” 
After this encounter, Jajang returned to Silla and convinced Queen Seondeok to build the nine-story pagoda. Master architect Abiji of the neighboring state Baekje designed the pagoda and the project was built by Yongchun and his 200 men using wood and stone. The night before the columns were to be erected, Architect Abiji of Baekje dreamed of the fall of Baekje and refused to complete the project. With a peal of thunder, an old monk and a man of great strength suddenly appeared from the temple's main hall, erected the columns, and magically disappeared. Abiji was so shocked at the sight that he accepted his country’s future demise as the fate of the gods and once again restarted work on the temple. (Samguk Yusa, the Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms) 
In the twenty-three years following the completion of the pagoda, Silla completed the unification of Three Kingdoms; later, numerous scholars pointed to the pagoda as a contributing factor in the unification. Of the three treasures of Silla (the Jangyukjonsang statue, the nine-story pagoda of Hwangnyongsa Temple, and the Heavenly Belt of King Jinpyeong) two were located at the Hwangnyongsa Temple. The largest bell of Silla was also in Hwangnyongsa, but was taken away during the Mongol invasion. The highest monks of Silla preached at the temple, and many kings came to listen to the Buddhist teachings. 
During excavation work in July 1969, the massive foundation stones of the sermon hall, auditorium, and pagoda were found. Eight years of archaeological excavations and studies revealed the unique layout of the temple grounds, which consisted of one pagoda and three halls; also found were 40,000 or so ancient artifacts. Though foundation stones and other structures from the bottom of the temple were identified through excavation, there are no historical clues about the temple’s upper design, making the restoration of the temple in its entirety practically impossible. The size of the temple, based on archeological findings, was about 70 acres, roughly 8 times that of the Bulguksa Temple. 
(source: visitkorea) 

@O: About Korean 3 Kingdoms you should take a look at Samguk Sagi and Samguk Yusa. Korean history or their books aren't very popular in my country so it's difficult to look for them around here. I just do some searching and collect information from the internet. :)

King Uija of Baekje surrenders to king Muyeol and Silla-Tang's alliance.
2013050211033809101.jpg201305030027720.jpg2013050317303111141.jpg

This drama will stop at episode 70 on June 9th due to low ratings. They have to cut off 10 episodes since the drama was supposed to have 80. This means it won't include king Shinmun and it might not even cover king Munmu's reign, I guess it might end after Silla finished the unification of 3 kingdoms.
Accident rushes sageuk The King’s Dream to end early.
Finally, KBS has decided to pull the plug on its much-beleaguered weekend drama King’s Dream, which has had more than its fair share of misfortune, from accidents to more accidents to lots more accidents. It’s almost a relief to hear that they’ll be cutting out five weeks earlier than planned, ending with 70 episodes rather than the planned 80.
On the other hand, if you were going to cut the show down, couldn’t you maybe have done so earlier, when it really needed to be put out of its misery? For a long while I’d wondered why they decided to forge ahead instead of conceding that maybe all those accidents and hurt cast members meant they should call it a day.
King’s Dream has held steady in second place in the ratings, which frankly seems like a feat given that it took five weeks off the air in the middle when both lead actors were out with serious injuries. Earlier in its run it managed to stay ahead of dramas like Alice in Cheongdam-dong and Incarnation of Money, and is currently still ahead of the new Birth Secret while majkang hit Hundred Year Inheritance charges ahead in first place. Still, it hasn’t managed to rise past low-teens numbers, and ratings are cited as one of the reasons for the cut-down order. Another reason is the five weeks spent off the air.
An exec with KBS stated that the cut-down won’t affect the story flow, since they have been considering reducing the count for a while; the show will air Episode 60 tomorrow, which gives it more than a month to adjust to the new timetable.
King’s Dream will wrap on June 9, which is its original finale date.
Source: dramabeans.

They made the worst historical drama ever, some of the stories about two Kims and rest of characters turned twist and they've cast wrong people for the roles. This drama was destine to failed from beginning. I've stopped watching the drama after they've changed the Queen Seondeok to another actress.

Hi mannschaft, thanks for letting me know the titles - I've made an online reservation at the library and will pick them up this weekend.  Great!

It's a pity the drama has to be shortened.  I noticed that historical dramas are not so popular.  I must be old-fashioned cos' I enjoy these dramas best! haha.

Hi O, it’s good to hear you’re going to get the history books, good job!

I don’t really think that real historical (sageuk) are about unpopular or dropped, they may regain their impression as soon as a great historical drama or one with good spins comes up and win over the presently same-same fusion sageuks filled with twisted romance and merely for entertaining.

By the way, (it’s a bit off topic), do you like Japanese historicals too?  - I've watched only two dramas, I can say those two are not only traditional but also very amazing. :)

mannschaft said:

Hi O, it’s good to hear you’re going to get the history books, good job!

I don’t really think that real historical (sageuk) are about unpopular or dropped, they may regain their impression as soon as a great historical drama or one with good spins comes up and win over the presently same-same fusion sageuks filled with twisted romance and merely for entertaining.

By the way, (it’s a bit off topic), do you like Japanese historicals too?  - I've watched only two dramas, I can say those two are not only traditional but also very amazing. :)

mannschaft said:!

Archived