[Drama 2012/13] The King's Dream 대왕의 꿈

WingLiner

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mannschaft & O, I am so behind.. I am a little busy too & taking this drama so slow.. :)

In Gyebaek, it was the wife who begged him to kill her & the kids because she knew there was no way Baekje could win the war.. But seeing what kind of person Yushin here & Gyebaek & him had been a drinking buddy for sometime.. couldn't Gyebaek see that if ever Baekje lost in the war.. Yushin would never dare touch his family? Probably he would even have protected them.. Well, he was probably thinking of the Tang army..

I also didn't like it that Silla used/sacrificed their talented young warriors to boost the moral of the soldiers while everyone was just watching & waiting.. surely there was a better way than that.. considering that Yushin was a great general.. Anyhow, at least through it Yushin was able to save his son..

I am glad that there were no more so annoying characters like Bidam, the evil Queen, etc. in the latest episodes.. but Yushin & Chunchu always in conflict with each other was bothering me..

It's one sad thing for Korea.. people shared the same blood & for thousands of years Kings & Generals had been wanting & fighting for complete oneness of the whole peninsula yet up to this time unification seems hard to achieve.. I don't know if it's because of obstinacy, pride or patriotism.. :-?

Since Chunchu will be dead by the time Silla will start war with Koguryeo.. and Yushin's & Beopmin's views/opinion on things seemed to always agree with each other.. then Yushin will probably be at peace & will have a smooth journey when he leads his army to fight Koguryeo.. Yushin was known to be a great General.. one of the things I was expecting to see here was his great war plans & strategies.. but so far, I haven't seen them yet.. 8-|

Japanese drama Yoshitsune is a good one too. I am happy you have seen Atsuhime. She & Queen Seondeok became my favorite asian female historical figures.. Thanks to the well written & well acted dramas depicting about their lives.. :):)>-

Guest hapha8714

are they not going to release a full OST?
i like the ending, but i don't understand bcause it's not subbed yet

@mannschaft, the first korean drama that I watched centred mostly on Yeon Gaesomun.  In fact, I think I have seen 2 or 3 dramas.  His character is portrayed very differently in the dramas. In one, he was a cruel tryant who murdered the royal family and put a puppet on the throne.   Another portrayed him to be a general whose coup d'etat was for self-perservation.  If he did not kill the King and ministers, he would have been murdered by them.  What is without doubt is that he was a great military strategist and Goguryeo could fight off the Tang-Silla army while he was alive.  Which means that Silla will lose a lot of soliders in this war.  It is a good thing that Yusin and Beopmin have their wings clipped by Chunchu!

@nikachan2008, I agree that it is painful to watch the growing conflict between Yusin and Chunchu.   Beopmin's brother told Chunchu that Yusin had been loyal to him for "70 years".  Is he really now 70 in the drama?  Seems kinda old to be going to war. 

Wish both of you a great week ahead :)

Hi @O, hi @Nikachan. Wish you guys have a great week too.
I haven't watched drama Yeon Gaesomun SBS 06 yet, I just hear people talking about it as its Koguryeo depiction wasn't very correct, it was too much boasting. Anyway, I have to say, hadn't been for YGSM, the 3 kingdoms would have been conquered by Tang. Someone might think he did a very cruel, tyrant dictator, but all his doings wanted good for his country.
Koguryeo was said to be the strongest out of the 3 kingdoms from the time it had been founded by Jumong (King Dongmyeong.)
Kim Yushin was born in 595 and passed away in 673 - 5 years after the unification and he was 78 years old, it's very amazing at that time. You said Beopmin's brother, he is Inmun. Upon seeing the drama, Chunchu met Yushin around 15 so Yushin must be loyal to Chunchu around 50 years, not 70. Chunchu was only 60s when he died, Yushin was 66 at the time so 70 years was impossible. :))
The fact is Chunchu and Yushin never conflicted and made up in real life, they had supported each other all the way.
Tang - Koguryeo War.
(It also mentions the battle of Ansi fortress, both portrayed in drama Yeon Gaesomun and Dae Jo Young.)
n March of 645, Li Shimin invaded Goguryeo with 100,000 Chinese soldiers. 40,000 crossed the sea with 500 ships. Li Shimin himself led 60,000 through land. 50,000 Gokturks and Khitans came to Tang's aid, so Tang had total of 150,000 soldiers. On April, Li Shiji attacked Goguryeo's Shin Fortress. Zhang Jian led the Gokturks and Khitans to attack Guhn Ahn Fortress. However, they failed to conquer these fortresses and conquered Gaemo Fortress instead. 10,000 Goguryean soldieres were captured and 100,000 sacks of grains were taken from Gaemo.
Zhang Liang's 43,000 navy that crossed the sea surrounded Bisa Fortress on April. Goguryeans eventually ran out of food and Bisa was conquered on May. Li Shiji, Li Shimin, Gokturks, and Khitans then conquered Yodong(Liadong) Fortress in just 12 days. Baek Ahm Fortress surrendered few days after. Li Shimin then went on to Anshi Fortress with his 50,000, Li Shiji's 10,000 and 100,000 Gokturks and Khitans. 
YGSM gave 150,000 troops to Go Yeonsu and Go Hyejin to prevent Tang from attacking Anshi. When Li Shimin heard that Go Yeonsu was not a good military officer, Li Shimin was sure of his victory. He expected Go Yeonsu to trust the number of Goguryeo soldiers and attack without thinking a lot. 
Just as Li Shimin had expected, Go Yeonsu was planning to directly attack Tang's frontline without any special tactics. A skilled general named Go Jeong Ui thought they should form a defensive line and engage in attrition warfare. Go Jeong Ui thought they should wait until Tang army gets worn out and cut off the Chinese supply lines. However, Go Yeonsu didn't listen to GJU. He thought it was important to suppress the enemy morale by showing the might of his army. Li Shimin sent 1,000 Gokturks to lure Goguryean army. Go Yeonsu easily defeated them, became very confident, and decided to engage in wide-open warfare. 
This was a very dangerous thought. Goguryeo was used to fighting on mountains and defending from fortress, so they had more chance to lose in a wide-open warfare. The Tang Chinese, on the other hand, had all the equipment required for a wide-open warfare. In addition, every Chinese soldiers were fully trained while most of Goguryeo soldiers weren't except for Go Yeonsu's personal army. Li Shimin knew all about this and engaged in a psychological warfare.
Li Shimin sent a messenger to Go Yeonsu saying that he did not come to Goguryeo to conquer Goguryeo and that he just wanted to teach the manners of a vassal state. If Goguryeo shows the manner of a vassal state to him, his army would immediately return to China after giving back all the territories he took over so far in this war. Go Yeonsu assumed that Li Shimin had no intention to fight after hearing the message and let his guard down. Li Shimin used the opportunity to ambush Go Yeonsu with his 26,000 troops led by Xui Rengui.
Goguryeo suffered a huge loss as a result of the ambush. 30,000 soldiers died, Go Yeonsu and Go Hyejin surrendered to Li Shimin along with their 36,000 soldiers, and the rest of Goguryean troops retreated to Shin Fortress and Guhn Ahn Fotress. 
Anshi Fotress was completely isolated after this loss and Li Shimin used his entire army to attack Anshi from this point on. Anshi had 30,000 soldiers and 70,000 civilians at the time. Yang Manchun was determined to use even the 70,000 civilians to fight the Tang army. 
On the first day of attack, Li Shiji retreated after endless arrows flying from Anshi. On the next day, Li Shiji yelled at Anshi : "I will bury every men in Anshi on the day I conquer Anshi!"
Go Yeonsu suggested attacking Ogol Fortress by saying that the governor of Ogol was old and stupid. Yeonsu knew this would lessen Tang's attack on Anshi and open Tang's back to the 100,000 Goguryeo troops from Shin and Guhn Ahn Fortress. Li Shimin and Li Shiji almost accepted Yeonsu's suggestion, but declined after Zhangsun Wuji insisted that attacking Ogol would open Tang's back to other Goguryean troops. 
Li Shimin attacked Anshi countless times afterwards, which all ended up in failure. Soldiers were quickly killed on the moment they climbed up the wall with ropes and ladders. When stones destroyed parts of the walls, the Goguryeans quickly built a wooden wall in place. 
Li Shimin even built a mud castle that was higher than Anshi Fortress in order to get in the fortress, but this also ended up in failure. When an avalanche occurred, parts of Anshi Fortress were destroyed. Yang Manchun turned this emergency as an opportunity and sent his troops to conquer Tang's Mud Castle. Tang used 500,000 men to build the mud castle in just 60 days only to give it away to Goguryeo as its new defensive line. 
Tang lost a lot of its supplies and armies during its attempts to conquer Anshi and many of the troops also froze and starved to death when the winter came in October. Tang had no choice but to retreat. When Li Shimin began retreating, Yang Manchun stood on the top of Anshi Fortress alone and waved his hand at Li Shimin. Li Shimin, amazed by Yang's intelligence and bravery, sent Yang 100 pieces of silk as gift before retreating.
The name of Anshi's Lord/Governor actually is actually unknown, however, Song Joon Gil and Park Jiwon of Joseon dynasty claim that the name of this brave man was Yang Manchun. Goryeo/Koryo dynasty's Yi Sek and Yi Gok claim that Li Shimin got shot in his eye during this battle. 
Anshi Fortress was finally conquered by Tang on July of 671. It is unknown whether Yang Manchun died during this time or before. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fdfd Sadfs

class="title" style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 20px; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); margin: 0px; height: 40px; overflow: hidden; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Watch [ENG] The Great King’s Dream Ep 66http://www.kshow.tv/drama/eng-the-great-kings-dream-ep-66/

Hi @mannschaft and @Nikachan, the show is over :(    And sadly, ended with the writer rewriting history (I really hate when that happens). 

Hope you're both enjoying your summer vacation.  Cheers

Thank you, @O. I wish you have a great summer time too. ;)
Yes, this show could have been great but due to the scripts and directors were not good as doing historicals so we couldn't enjoy the show and its quality isn't high as expected.
If you would like to watch pure / roughly historical ones, you should take a look for these dramas below, but I think it's might be impossible to watch them for now. Since historicals about the 3 Kingdoms had been existed long time ago and they must be called oldies when being made in the 80s and 90s. Especially "The Tales of the Three Kingdoms" group, made by MBC in 1980s; and "Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms" composed and broadcasted by KBS in 1992-1993. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been here for a while because of much work recently. The subbing status of this drama is completed now with all 70 episodes with subtitles added.http://www.gooddrama.net/korean-drama/the-great-kings-dream
@Daduxing: Honestly speaking, upon historical view, this drama wasn't accurate as there was 80% of made-up stories, the 20% left was almost correct about battles in the unification project of Silla. 

• 1 month later...

Hi @mannschaft!  I couldn't remember my password after the lovely long summer vacation ... it just came to me!  So how have you been?  Hope you had a blast this summer too!

Are you watching the 'blade & petal' (think that's the title).  It's a bit draggy.  The only thing that excites me is hearing familiar historical names/places :))

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @O. My summer is great too, addicted in watersports and enjoy the sun for a whole month after exams. But still I have some works to do as translating subtitles for Kdramas (it's such a boring pause and type procedure.) #:-S
I entered university on September 4th, studying in Faculty of English and Faculty of Oriental Languages and Cultures (I choose Korean Study) and school time officially starts on October 7th, so I'll have some time off :D
I havent watched Swords (Blade) and Petals yet, since I don't like its genre and storyline. Like you, one thing gets me to pay attention to is the familiar historical names and places. It'd already ended but still be a hot discussion topic here :D

Guest Fdfd Sadfs

class="entry-title post-title" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 2.625em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1em; border: 0px; margin: 0.5em 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; word-wrap: break-word; color: rgb(85, 85, 85); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"download [ALBUM] Jong Hyun – Great King’s Dream Part.3 OSThttp://www.kpopspy.com/album/album-jong-hyun-great-kings-dream-part-3-ost/

• 4 months later...
Guest twinkletwinklefan

OMG, I can't wait till this drama come out in Chinese. I'm so desperate to see it, I probably just see it in Korean without understand a word, LOL!

I love actor Kim Yoo Suk who play Kim Yushin in here. This drama is like his first "lead" role, usually he just have supporting roles in his previous dramas.

Anyone in here know anything about actor Kim Yoo Suk? He is not famous, so little news of him.
OMG, I'm so excited for this drama, probably can't sleep, LOL!

Archived