Korean film 'In the Realm of Ripley' to compete in Venice's immersive section

"In the Realm of Ripley" by Korean director Chae Soo-eung, also known as Chuck Chae, has been selected to compete in the immersive section of this year's Venice Film Festival.

The film is one of 64 projects from 25 countries to be featured in the Venice Immersive Section at the 81st edition of the renowned festival, scheduled for Aug. 28 to Sept. 7, according to the organizer's official website Friday.

Starring Jang Hyuk, Moon Joo-yeon and Song Jae-hee, the interactive film is set in 2080, when memory storage technology is commonplace. It follows a detective who enters the brain of a brain-dead boy, the sole witness to a murder.

"Audiences will discover that media is not simply a vessel for storytelling, but an essential part of the experience, uncovering deeper truths hidden within it," production company Aria Studio quoted the director as saying.

The Immersive section, established in 2017, showcases outstanding "immersive arts and media," encompassing various forms of creative expression in virtual, mixed and extended reality.

This is not Chae's first success in Venice. In 2018, his short animated film "Buddy VR" won the Best Virtual Reality Experience award at the festival's 75th edition. (Yonhap)

Source: https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/07/398_378956.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

"In the Realm of Ripley" by Korean director Chae Soo-eung, also known as Chuck Chae, has been selected to compete in the immersive section of this year's Venice Film Festival.

The film is one of 64 projects from 25 countries to be featured in the Venice Immersive Section at the 81st edition of the renowned festival, scheduled for Aug. 28 to Sept. 7, according to the organizer's official website Friday.

Starring Jang Hyuk, Moon Joo-yeon and Song Jae-hee, the interactive film is set in 2080, when memory storage technology is commonplace. It follows a detective who enters the brain of a brain-dead boy, the sole witness to a murder.

"Audiences will discover that media is not simply a vessel for storytelling, but an essential part of the experience, uncovering deeper truths hidden within it," production company Aria Studio quoted the director as saying.

The Immersive section, established in 2017, showcases outstanding "immersive arts and media," encompassing various forms of creative expression in virtual, mixed and extended reality.

This is not Chae's first success in Venice. In 2018, his short animated film "Buddy VR" won the Best Virtual Reality Experience award at the festival's 75th edition. (Yonhap)

Source:https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/07/398_378956.html

The premise sounds cool, but it also reminds of a JLo movie, The Cell , and I really hope it's nothing like that. From what I understood it was really bad... I do wonder about the immersive part- does that mean that the audience will be able to influence the detective's decisions? Like a computer game?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I guess he is the detective, hope we will get official poster and more stills nearer the premiere date. Will he travel to Venice ? 

I think he's the detective from the stills. I'm not sure if he will go. Maybe if the film wins the award? 

43 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

The premise sounds cool, but it also reminds of a JLo movie, The Cell , and I really hope it's nothing like that. From what I understood it was really bad... I do wonder about the immersive part- does that mean that the audience will be able to influence the detective's decisions? Like a computer game?

From the article, 

'Apartment: Ripley's World', starring Jang Hyuk, Moon Joo-yeon, Song Jae-hee, Yoyo, and Jo Yoon-seo, is a new type of AI interactive film where the audience's choices affect the development of the story, offering a new cinematic experience where they directly communicate with the actors and participate in the story. Director Chae Soo-eung, who was in charge of directing, said, "This film invites the audience to a new realm where they can create their own experiences, and discovers that media is not simply a vessel for stories, but an essential part of the experience itself, and allows them to discover a deeper truth hidden within it," adding to the anticipation for the film.

Source:https://m.entertain.naver.com/article/311/0001750757

It sounds like a new type of film which I have not experienced before. I'm super curious how will it be possible for audience  to communicate with actors and participate in the story? And will they release a movie trailer soon?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Synopsis from the website:

The film <Apartment: Talented by Ripley> An interactive thriller exploring the chaos of memory on the border between truth and lies.

Is the story you bring with you when you escape this apartment really true?

In 2080, the memory preservation system 'Mind Upload' has become commercialized due to the development of brainwave and quantum technology.

Si-hyuk, a 10-year-old boy, is reconstructed as a character named 'Ripley' in the virtual world of the CSAL (Computer Simulated After-Life) Laboratory.

As the sole witness to an unsolved murder case that occurred in the 2010s, he holds the key to the case.

But the only way to hear his story of becoming a vegetative person is to access his brain.

'Ripley's' head is filled with clues left behind by the apartment where he lived with his mother at the time and the neighbors.

In order to find all the answers to the case, you must directly access the boy's brain and investigate the apartment residents in his last memory at the time to track down the killer.

As you apply for SCAL's research and delve into Ripley's memories to find the truth, you finally encounter the culprit that all the clues point to... 

• Like 2

OK the official English title is "In the Realm of Ripley", 50 minutes duration

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2024/07/398_378956.html

• Like 3

How very intriguing. The film is defo giving dystopian vibes. His coat has the type of styling that I would typically associate with Red Army esque or any other military police in a totalitarian regime. 

And yay! He's finally coming to our screens and getting a screening at Venice to boot. Now that's a comeback

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

How very intriguing. The film is defo giving dystopian vibes. His coat has the type of styling that I would typically associate with Red Army esque or any other military police in a totalitarian regime. 

And yay! He's finally coming to our screens and getting a screening at Venice to boot. Now that's a comeback

Another plus is that the genre is sci-fi not action (I presume!). I like that he's branching out into new genres. Can't wait to see how this turns out

• Awesome 1

13 hours ago, Prettysup said:

So I guess the Vanity Fair Italia interview, is related to this Venice film festival ?

Maybe. Hope she will interview him again about this film.  Saw your IG post that the film is really short , only 30 min. Think it is the first of such VR korean films to be released? I hope he can still display his acting prowess, even with the limited movie running time.

• Like 2