[Variety] The Romantic (더 로맨틱)

Guest didilovebi

@jina_bing_bang I agree with you but it was also like that in the original one some people got more focus than others. I am also hoping for midnight sessions.

The text preview for episode 8 and it seems like season 2 with the idols will be quite soon after.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kgjm4o

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest little girl1430292144

This is a pic of Choi Jonghun (FT Island) when he's in Jeju for The Romantic & Idol season 2.They were recorded in late October.Someone says this season will be more romantic than the season 1 

rr1dte.png

WHAT ????? 2nd season 1st date will be start on ep 8 after final selection?waaah..that's so CRUEL !!!! I want 1st season more !! esp BTS !!!!!!  <http://enewsworld.mnet.com/enews/contents.asp?idx=25070 

Wooot?!!2nd season 1st date will be start on ep 8 after final selection?waaah..that's cruel!I want 1st season moaar >,<

— 나나 (@Naraejoha) December 28, 2012 " style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153); text-decoration: initial; font-size: 12.222222328186035px; display: inline-block; margin-right: 2px; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.981481552124023px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"> :(:(:((  :-w :-w :-w  X(  X(  X(

I'm gonna miss The Romantic & Idol season 1 (esp HyeJeong&Jun. K) . I didn't want to watch season 2 ....
tumblr_mdw457ksmf1rcxgbuo1_500.jpg?w=652

:(:(  :-S   8->  :x

@missauditor I love when saw HyeJeong still wearing the necklace  :x  :x  ;;) . She's also wear it during her date in day-3.If you noticed the BTS clip of Jihyun & Hyungshik necklace story, you can see Hyejeong wearing Jun.K jacket while they were packing up their stuff. In interviews Hyejeong said Jun.K brought communication to her level (Jun.K is 5 years older) to make her feel comfortable. By episode 6 Hyejeong is already speaking to him in banmal (I think). To be honest, the skinship is considered fanservice, but Jun.K did grew closer to Hyejeong, judging from the airport fancam. Not tp say whether they will date or not, but I think we can agree that Jun.K is a trusted oppa to Hyejeong.

Guest lentong

class="blog_h2 entry-title"The Romantic & Season 2 members meet for the first time

527.jpgThe members of tvN’s The Romantic & Idol Season 2 were recently released.

On the first episode of the show, which will air on December 30, the members of the season one make final decisions, and the members of the season two meet for the first time. In some still photos from the episode, released by tvN, G.NA and Jong Hoon look nervous yet happy.

The members of the season 2 are G.NA, Jewelry’s Yewon, Spika’s Yang Ji Won, Two X’s Eunyoung, Jong Hoon, BTOB’s Min Hyuk, ZE:A’s Kevin, and VIXX’s N.

They will also go to the Jeju Island for four days.

little girl said: @missauditor I love when saw HyeJeong still wearing the necklace  :x  :x  ;;) . She's also wear it during her date in day-3.If you noticed the BTS clip of Jihyun & Hyungshik necklace story, you can see Hyejeong wearing Jun.K jacket while they were packing up their stuff. In interviews Hyejeong said Jun.K brought communication to her level (Jun.K is 5 years older) to make her feel comfortable. By episode 6 Hyejeong is already speaking to him in banmal (I think). To be honest, the skinship is considered fanservice, but Jun.K did grew closer to Hyejeong, judging from the airport fancam. Not tp say whether they will date or not, but I think we can agree that Jun.K is a trusted oppa to Hyejeong.

@jina_bing_bang I agree with you, also I think it is slightly disapointing that you are not able to to get to know the others properly.

Thank you for the news @lentong, So first meeting with Jonghun and G.NA? I am surprised that the next season will start straight after, I am looking forward to it though. Too bad that they are still only staying for four days was hoping for a slighty longer stay.

Guest lentong

im was hoping they producer alternate the season with idol and just normal people but i guest not :(
yeeahh, only 4 night bummer, just hope they dont drag it so much as this season.. but im looking foward seeing N and Eunyoung, both the leader and both of them meet alot cuz they both rookie, i saw them in a radio show,, and i see some chemistry.. lol ,,, just dont mind me (me and my ship-ing obsess.. )

missauditor said: i think a few mblaq fans here? blame @inxomnia for entertaining me about seungho, i went to watch mblaq's hello baby again when seungho not only manly but fatherly. lol.
in mblaq's hello baby, mir said their daughter lauren is his ideal type. i think jei does resemble lauren. haha.  mguemon said: temperateclimate said:

@ryeesa Yeah, Eun Ji and Yoon Jung attended the same university, but were in different majors.

Back to The Romantic & Idol. I was browsing around and came across this amusing analysis by a creative netizen who drew parallels between all the tangled relationships/lovelines to different Asian drama genres. 

Credits to shinegao2004 @  baidu theromanticidol

Mir + Jei - A Taiwanese idol drama

Jun. K + Hye Jeong - A conventional Korean drama

Hyung Sik + Ji Hyun - A refreshing and subtle Japanese dorama

JB + Seung Ah - A typical mainland Chinese drama

@inxomina during the seatbelt scene,Jun. K looks like want to kiss HyeJeong right?LOL.I think he whispering her something.And,if u notice when Jun. K ask HyeJeong about how can she contact him after this,he looks like holding her hands.

I felt really bad towards Seung Ah because she is need to pick one among the guys. meanwhile, she no hope with Jun.K nor Hyung Sik, and also JB didn't even care about her feeling [-( . 'well there is Mir who's left but obviously into someone else. Mir ruined her femaleness and make her childish. but at least, Mir feel sorry and guilty esp. when Mir knows that JB and Seung Ah didn't doing the back hug mission'- someone said that. that's why I know why Seung Ah choose Mir over JB. bcause if she still choose JB, her pride will more hurt  =(( 
and I've reading somewhere saying that Jihyun seems didn't really likes Hyungsik, 'for example on the boat he involuntary catched her arm but she slightly hit him means "pull of your arm" and when he wanted to give his jacket she pushed him'. I really disagree this though! bcause, all I see.. Ji Hyun is shy and hate doing skinship. I can seeing when the interview about her dating with Jun.K, saying that Jun.K is really easy doing skinship. that's why she choose Hyungsik instead. Hyungsik seems really careful when he was about touching Ji Hyun. but when Ji Hyun starting hold his hand first, she is slowly doing skinship towards Hyungsik. I should prepare because someday the articel will saying that one of my ideal type was taken ;))
Jun. K and Hyejeong looks cute together. Hyejeong is type a girl who hates a guy who talked much. I feel Hyejeong is a bit annoyed by Jun.K lately but still, they are match, even with that gaps of ages. :-bd
I don't really mind Mir and Jei couple, bcause I didn't like Jei at first place (sorry if I'm a bit bold). I know that Mir the clown of the show. but still, when he kept talking his ideal type is a pretty girl it's a bit annoying. and when Mir choosing a hoodie and he is imagine that Seung Ah's belonging he ask if someone want to swap with him :-W  and Jei.. she totally player lol. I just didn't like a kind girl. yes, it's her first realty show, but still... don't playing with guy heart  [-X
edit : I'm absolutely waiting for season 2 airing. well... i wanted to seeing my biases together (JH and G.Na)

Guest temperateclimate

@raasyndrome I agree with your thoughts on Ji Hyun and the way she interacts with Hyung Sik. She's more of the composed and reserved type of girl. Sometimes that may be interpreted as being a bit cold and standoffish. She has definitely warmed up a lot to Hyung Sik considering she stated right from the beginning that she's averse to meeting with younger boys. During their first meeting, when she was sitting on the park bench on Hyung Sik, she mentioned that she doesn't understand why some couples exhibit too much PDA. She doesn't hate skinship per se, but she doesn't like skinship that is done easily and frequently. I actually like the little gestures between them like Ji Hyun initiating high-fives with Hyung Sik and petting his head and Hyung Sik patting Ji Hyun's arm/back from time to time and touching her hair. The adorable and shy looks that they give each other are lovely as well. I think that Ji Hyun and Hyung Sik are relatively shy and quiet so simple and subtle is the right way to go for them.

@mguemon and @missauditor

Credits to shinegao2004 @ baidu theromanticidol

Mir + Jei - A Taiwanese idol drama

One guy is the ex-boyfriend that she once loved, Jun.K,

The second guy is the pure-hearted boy by her side who has a crush on her, JB,

The third guy is the 4D, off-the-wall youth who suddenly barged into her life, Mir,

During an event, Jei meets JB who innocently falls for her and reunites with Jun.K in a push-pull struggle. Suspicion, hurt, regret, dissatisfaction ... these factors cloud their thoughts of love ... As Jei is mired in the confusion of her relationships, fate brings her to another turn in the journey of life. An odd boy Mir walks into her sight. She is curious about this boy. He tells her, " Noona your expressions are strange when you see me." He also says, " Noona my heart flutters when I see you." He even says, "To me, noona is the best type of wild ginseng." Curiosity makes her want to know and understand him more. He is the type of person who has never appeared in her life thus far. The 4D boy Mir states, "Noona is the most special person." His thoughtfulness, his humor, his refreshingness gradually warms her heart. Feelings increase bit by bit in their hearts.

* Taiwanese idol dramas are famous for their love triangles/rectangles with the main female lead, who is typically cute, pretty, sweet, etc. having several pursuers. She then finds love in the most unexpected ways amidst various hijinks. Opposites attract ... Drama genre = fluffy, light fare with laughter amidst the tears. Almost always guaranteed a happy ending.

Jun. K + Hye Jeong - A conventional Korean drama

Hye Jeong, a girl who loves her childhood friend Mir, meets Jun.K, an attractive and successful man who bears scars in his heart, due to a chance encounter. As the two spend more time together and grow closer, he recovers from the pain caused by his previous relationship and she finally lets go of her feelings for Mir. Both of them rid themselves of past emotional baggage and come together. "Do you like me?" "Yes." Their futures belong to each other ... They leave precious memories next to the sparkling blue sea ... he serenades her on the piano with a song that is exclusively theirs ...

* A common trope seen in Korean conventional dramas - a cheerful, lively, naive young girl meets an older Prince Charming and heals his previous emotional wounds. With her, he discovers the joy of love again. He treats her with the utmost attention and care as befitting a princess. She finds a mature man who appreciates her for being the optimistic and wholesome girl that she is.

Hyung Sik + Ji Hyun - A refreshing and subtle Japanese dorama

She's the cool older woman who dislikes younger guys.  He's the cute and determined younger guy.

The first time he meets this charming lady is at a dinner party. (His first impression of her - This noona sure loves her alcohol.) The second time he meets her is during a trip. He discovers that beneath her usually collected and reserved appearance she's got a funny and quirky side as well. Thus, this younger guy has her firmly imprinted in his mind. And they meet again  ... it happens that they share the same favorite song ... As they encounter each other time after time, their hearts become entangled together. The sunset bears witness to their hugging shadows amongst the grassy fields.

*Japanese doramas excel at the slice-of-life genre. When there are lovelines, they tend to be rather low-key and subtle. No overdramatic twists and turns and unnecessary melodrama.

JB + Seung Ah - A typical mainland Chinese drama

Pure-hearted youth JB is close with Seung Ah, a noona who helped him a lot when he was younger. JB meets Jei at a school activity and is captivated by her. Amidst Seung Ah's protests, he pursues Jei actively. However, he is just a pawn for Jei to use in her quest to irk her first love Jun.K. When JB learns the truth he is deeply hurt ... At this time ..  Seung Ah, the noona who has always been by his side and protected him, confesses her love for him to JB ... But JB has already arrived at a crossroad ... Should he continue doggedly loving that captivating girl or should he turn back and give his attention to that noona? He's at that uneasy age of 20, he can't let go of his obsessive affections for Jei and he can't guarantee Seung Ah's happiness ... All three of them stand at a crossroads  ... drifting apart gradually ... Perhaps at the next turn in the road ... they'll meet someone who can give each of them happiness ...

* Convoluted relationships, good amounts of melodrama are staples in typical modern mainland Chinese dramas. Expect to be treated to an emotional rollercoaster.

@temperateclimate Thank you for the breakdown of the different relationships on the show and how they relate to the different dramas they were associated to. The story line twists that matched what happened on the show was a nice touch.LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also totally agree with your description of Jihyun and Hyungsik relationship. They are both shy and reserved and thus wouldn't be overtly showy of their affections. I wonder why people find them boring, to me anyway the couples who are more subtle and slow on the skinship are interesting to watch b/c you can clearly see when their emotions and feeling start to change and thus get more comfortable with each other. But I believe one of the main problem for this couple is that Jihyun was almost always aware of the camera.
I don't have a problem with the other types of couples, I love them all. What can turn me off to a couple is a lack of genuineness of one or both of the participants and that is what I am afraid can happen with R&I with the influx of Idols on the show.  I hope this doesn't happen and that the PD chooses or casts the right type of Idols. That is why like @jina_bing_bang I was hoping they will continue with the Romantic. But I also understand them, Idols bring ratings and a bigger audience since with the idols the international fandom will be interested and watching their show.
@LolaPong I saw that video. I actually downloaded his version and the ZE:A's version. And to me it is clear as day that he is singing with someone special in his mind. Is it Jihyun?  Only he knows but here goes hoping.

Guest temperateclimate

@mguemon Hehe ... I'm only responsible for the messy translations and the comments about the various drama genres after the asterisks. All accolades go to the very creative baidu netizen who wrote the whole piece. The baidu netizens are quite the creative, dedicated, and resourceful bunch in general. They come up with a lot of lovely fan-art and fan-fiction as well as lengthy analyses and discussions. They even managed to unearth spoiler pics from the last day of filming, including one of Ji Hyun and Hyung Sik after(?) the final selection. Can't help but be impressed by their super sleuthing skills!

@temperateclimate Still, Thank you for taking the time to research and translate all that info for us here at soompi it is greatly appreciated by the likes of us who have no chance of understanding and getting all the different nuances since we are not immersed in the culture and understand the language.We are trying our best here with the analysis but I am sure there is no comparison :D

Archived