[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

The Sun and the Moon Instant Ratings Hit Highest 31.5 when Jung Il Woo Debuts

When the actor Jung Il Woo was making his debut in MBC TV drama The Moon that Embraces the Sun, the live ratings broke 31.5%.

On the episode 6 of The Moon that Embraces the Sun broadcast on January 19th, 2012, the adult actors officially debuted. Jung Il Woo (Prince Yang Myung) who appeared at the second half pushed the live ratings to 31.5% (AGB Nielson), breaking the drama own highest ratings record.

Jung Il Woo said during the his first filming for the drama that he hopes to echo well the acting of Lee Min Ho who plays the role of Prince Yang Myung at young age. As wished, he portrayed fully the role of complex man who is a contented romantic prince and possesses innocent love inside the heart. The flexible acting is critically acclaimed.

Viewers said, “Prince Yang Myung of Jung Il Woo does not have too strange feeling when comparing with small Prince Yang Myung, he portrays the role very well, looking forward to future episode,” “The grow up of Prince Yang Myung is very good, sadness hidden inside the eyes, just like assimilating small Yang Myung into him.”

via Nate

credit: asian-drama

LOL, Korean netizens are the scariest. I'm not even surprised. They always have something to complain about, right? 

aisling I could not agree with you more. It is too early to judge anything. I think the adults are all well cast. Of course in my eyes Kim Soo Hyun and Jung II Woo can do no wrong ever. I really really don't care what the Korean netizens think anyhow.dry.gif

even from the bts of Soo Hyun in the MBC section interview before i could already see Jin Goo's hwon in him. the way he speaks, his tone and expression just resemble Jin Goo. i think Soo Hyun must have studied how Jin Goo acts to make the transition smooth and believable. his voice is deeper here than what i've heard of him before and his tone is definitely of Jin Goo. he has definitely done a good job in portraying a grown up and changed Hwon while still give the feeling that he's indeed is Hwon that we've known.

the next successful transition for me is Kim Min Seo in portraying Bok Young. she's the one in SKKS right. the way she speaks here is different than in SKKS and resembles young Bok Young. so i think she also studied how Kim So Hyun (young Bok Young) acts.

Il woo's Yang Myung is quite different with Lee Min Hoo in that the way he talks and his expression are different. Princess Min Hwa also feels different. she doesnt look as bright, shining and royalty compared to young Minhwa.  adult woon gives off the same vibe from young woon. maybe because young woon never speaks and interact that much, so thats an advantage to the adult actor.  adult yeom is the most different of all. 

all the adult actors have done a good job in acting, its just with the transition either it works or not. with more episodes, the transition may not matter anymore once people start to connect with them and feel for the characters. 

i'm glad the rating just keep rising, hope it will continue for the adult portion as well. 

really cant wait for Ep7!  

aisling I could not agree with you more. It is too early to judge anything. I think the adults are all well cast. Of course in my eyes Kim Soo Hyun and Jung II Woo can do no wrong ever. I really really don't care what the Korean netizens think anyhow.*quoted image*

Wow, two of us can high 5 as we think alike :) You have Soo Hyun as your avatar, I have Il Woo as mine, but we like them both! :D

I was ready for this show the second I read Soo Hyun was being cast :D Then when I heard Il Woo joined I was squealing with excitement! Those two in one shot =  I'm afraid my heart will have a hard time to handle it, haha :D

To me, they can do no wrong either :D But we're probably too biased :D

i've been reading on here how the drama is based on a book. Can anyone tell me what book this is and if its translated into an english version. I would love to read it.

Thanks

you can read here

electricground

by the way,it is not fair to judge the adult cast compared to young actor because they just appeared in one episode only :huh:

Okay, I was so busy translating for Soompi, I haven't had the time to throughly read the novel. But I will tell you one thing. It's LONG.

I heard the new prints have been reformatted so it is a easier read but the old print has a lot of great scenes but drags it out. So, if you still want, I can post spoiler on what happens in the book here, but I don't think I can do detailed translations. If I do chap, by chap, you will get a whole lot of nothingness.

ANYWAYS regarding the amnesia issue.

In the book, Yeon Woo/Wol does regain her memory rather quickly. Apparently it is one year after her supposed 'death' but she keeps it to herself because she feels indebted to the Shamen who saved her life. She also knows that there were people in the palace out to kill her, she she never returns to her family... yet.

Thank you so much for the spoiler.

also, From various discussions on the book in this forum, I am curious about a thing. Hope you can clarify. When King Hwon falls ill and a shaman is called for taking his bad/evil things (for a month-she is made to sleep aside the king), he actually does not know that it is wol becoz he is made to go to sleep after drinking the tea prepared for him. On last day on woon's advice, he does not drink that tea, and remain awake and somehow identifies Wol and retains her in his palace. Does that mean she remains a concubine forever??? Does he recognize her as his first love??? Is it the end of the story?

Thank you for your reply in advance

hope blue from electricground will upload the next chapter,please....really curiously.....:tears:

anyone in this thread come from korea? please tell us about the novel...is the novel best seller right now???

also, From various discussions on the book in this forum, I am curious about a thing. Hope you can clarify. When King Hwon falls ill and a shaman is called for taking his bad/evil things (for a month-she is made to sleep aside the king), he actually does not know that it is wol becoz he is made to go to sleep after drinking the tea prepared for him. On last day on woon's advice, he does not drink that tea, and remain awake and somehow identifies Wol and retains her in his palace. Does that mean she remains a concubine forever??? Does he recognize her as his first love??? Is it the end of the story?

I believe it is already translated by Dramaok.

BK committed suicide because of shame/guilt caused by the wrongdoings of her father who put an act in order to overthrown Hwon. It is a way to pay Hwon back. Through BK's death, YW has been able to return to her rightful place and marries Hwon.

Guest perfect

Woon never really tells the king outright not to drink the tea, but the king is very sharp in finding underlying meaning so he fakes drinking the tea. (He drinks it but then he pretends to cough and spits it out.) He does not recognize Wol as his first love, but as the woman who has been haunting his dreams the past month. He retains her in the palace because he claims not to be well and so she needs to stay close to continue to take the evilness away. Palace laws does not allow for a shamen to become the king's woman in any sort of fashion. Although shamens are mystical in their power, they are considered lower than dirt. It is a while before he finally recognizes her. That is the LOOOOONNNNGGG bunch of nothingness I was talking about. Woon figures out who she is first, but of course. He does not say anything till the King finds out. Woon really doesn't talk much in the book. I expect him to be some kind of (handsome) backdrop in the story as well...

Is that going to happen in the drama?? I love this plot! Even though HGI only appeared for 2 secs in ep 6 but I "connected" her with YW in an instant. She gave out the same auora as how KYJ potrayed YW. Hwon will surely recognise that auora as well if he saw her...

On re-watch with chinese subs, I'm pleased with all the adult actors even the one who played Yeom, but I still have a hard time accepting JIW as YM. His expressions is slightly different from the young YM, I hope he plays it down a little cos YM may be outspoken but subtle in playing out his emotions. I hope to "connect" with him in the next episode.

For me, I felt like JIW did a really good job in the transition. As some have said, none of the character are really the same anymore. First, they have grown up - teens to 20s is a big jump (esp back then...) and second, at least 3 of them are very very affected by the "death" of YW. I expected JIW to be really playboy-ish, happy on the outside, very sad on the inside. Hwon - I expected to be very cold, keep a dark side in order to gain the power that he needs to battle his "enemies" or "relative-amies" in government. I think he definitely needs to do that to stay one step ahead of them. Besides, I know that his heart will completely melt once he meet YW (wol). :) but I'm not korean and I don't know the language so those korean netizens may be on to something that I don't know or can't tell in their speech and such. So in that sense, I felt that JIW was MY and KSH was Hwon. :)

As for the ladies - I was surprised that the actress who plays BK look so much older (not just in comparison to KSH, but just in general). I think she looks much older than even HGI. Anyhow - whatever - look and age doesn't make or break anything here. MW - the actress seems a bit inexperienced so I guess she has to settle into her role. I thought she was ok, esp since she's not really the main character anyways. 

Looking forward to more of the plot! 

Guest monkeyober1

Perfect, I have a question for you if you wouldn't mind answering.

From one of your spoilers earlier it sounds as if Wol actually lost her memories in the book and gained them back before meeting the king again. Is this true? If so, maybe they're trying to do the same thing with the drama and just surprise us all that, oh hey, she actually knew all along about who she was and the king, etc.

Woon never really tells the king outright not to drink the tea, but the king is very sharp in finding underlying meaning so he fakes drinking the tea. (He drinks it but then he pretends to cough and spits it out.) He does not recognize Wol as his first love, but as the woman who has been haunting his dreams the past month. He retains her in the palace because he claims not to be well and so she needs to stay close to continue to take the evilness away. Palace laws does not allow for a shamen to become the king's woman in any sort of fashion. Although shamens are mystical in their power, they are considered lower than dirt. It is a while before he finally recognizes her. That is the LOOOOONNNNGGG bunch of nothingness I was talking about. Woon figures out who she is first, but of course. He does not say anything till the King finds out. Woon really doesn't talk much in the book. I expect him to be some kind of (handsome) backdrop in the story as well...

Thank you so much explaining the shaman portion and also the spoilers.

i am curious as to how will HGI and KSY will portray these characters. I am already happy with KSY. HOpe HGI will also do well. MES fighting!!!!!!

JIW's character seem to be the same as his previous CHA CHI SOO - CAREFREE, PLAYFUL ONE. Am i the only one to see his character like that????

Guest perfect

Perfect, I have a question for you if you wouldn't mind answering.

From one of your spoilers earlier it sounds as if Wol actually lost her memories in the book and gained them back before meeting the king again. Is this true? If so, maybe they're trying to do the same thing with the drama and just surprise us all that, oh hey, she actually knew all along about who she was and the king, etc.

From what I can understand, (I may have to go back and reread those chapters to give you a more descriptive answer) Wol does loses her memory. But around a year after, she sees a young girl go through a ritual to become a shamen. Something she has never done before. That is where she realizes she is not really a shamen. And somehow he finds out about her past but keeps quiet. They don't really mention HOW she found out in detail, just that even though she knew everything she chose to stay by the Shamen's side. I don't know if the drama will follow this plot, but they should. It really portrays how loyal and kind she is. She knew the Shamen was the person who initially made her sick but she forgave her because she understood that the Shamen was only following orders.

I was searching for the E-BOOK of The Moon That Embraces the Sun and came up on a audio book version. It's in Korean though.

I haven't read the actual book in Korean so i don't know if it's the 2 books combined and if it follows the actual books.

Here is the DL link just incase someone wants to listen to it.

http://www.mediafire...yqj3s7647ohnich

Guest aznpolar

i am in love with this drama, especially the young actors.

at first i was like "mehhhh" and thought i'd get tired of them but they proved me wrong! their acting really tugged at my heart T_T

anyway; for some reason the jeom on han ga in's nose is bothering me........................only because the child actress didn't have one so i just thought it was weird. lol!

Guest perfect

One more thing.

About Yang Myung Goon's (older version) portrayal.

Yang Myung Goon is purposefully acting childish and immature. It is a way to keep his 'supporters' from plotting against his brother (the king) and try to put him up the throne.

One more thing.

About Yang Myung Goon's (older version) portrayal.

Yang Myung Goon is purposefully acting childish and immature. It is a way to keep his 'supporters' from plotting against his brother (the king) and try to put him up the throne.

Thank You, perfect. That is my impression also because all the while Yang Myung still love his brother . He just can hardly see him because he totally reminds him of Yeon Woo. It 's a weakness of Yang Myung, so glad to see he got one and not being the perfect martyr in the story.

Besides he can't easily go back to the palace as the supporters and the imaginary Yeon Woo wish (except for the Yoon clan) to do so. He also knew that in order to protect his brother's throne he needs to maintain that border line .

Re: other adult casts vs young casts

The PD might intentionally transitioned Hwon immediately because the weight of episode 5 must fill in the half of episode 6 that is why we have Kim Soo Hyun's appearance covered almost a quarter of the story, and the rest with minimal exposure. I will be dissatisfied if I see all of them having equal division of appearances as if there's no more episodes to come . :lol:

MInhwa is still there. Bo Kyung is still the evil beeyatch here..only more refined . Yeom "aged" and the youth flower boy is undeniably not there however the appeal of a witty /scholar , i can still sense it. Woon , obviously the same physique ( I was LOL actually while comparing the young and old together. so cute).

Han Ga In as Wol. literally took my breath away with the 5 -sec-curtain scene. Can't wait for next week!!!

@aisling

OMO THOSE PHOTOS!!! :wub: