difference between dating, goingout & boyfriend/girlfriend??

Guest kiss_bunny

Guest kiss_bunny

So apparently, there is a difference between dating, goingout and being boyfriend/girlfriend. I thought going out and boyfriend/girlfriend was the same thing.

If you are dating someone, i thought that just means you are going on a lot of dates but not exclusive or committed in anyway.

so that leaves out "going out". How is that different from dating or boyfriend/girlfriend?

I feel silly cuz now i think of the people i dated and now im kinda rethinking what exactly it was O.O

Guest mysassyboy

So apparently, there is a difference between dating, goingout and being boyfriend/girlfriend. I thought going out and boyfriend/girlfriend was the same thing.

If you are dating someone, i thought that just means you are going on a lot of dates but not exclusive or committed in anyway.

I thought that too and I still do :mellow:

Anyhoo, it's all the same to me

Guest missorrowrei

Uhh I think dating and going out are more similar, in the sense that "going out" can imply group dates as can dating. While when you're boyfriend/girlfriend with someone there's more commitment cause even when you "go out" as boyfriend/girlfriend in group dates people will identify you guys as a couple. And there's more of a relationship? Not sure. xD

Overall I think most people use them interchangeably though. :)

Guest ZeroX3

going out on date, the guy pays for everything that day includes food, movie, or whatever you guys decided to do. Going out, each person pays their own share.

Guest XangelXtranX

1)Typically when you're on a date, it means going to the movies, out to eat or whatever. ( Occur between friends who don't care what other people thinks/ People who are interested in each other/ Acquaintances going on a date because there's no one else to ask )

2)When you say I'm dating _______. In the general public's eyes, you're boyfriend/girlfriend. (Between the two people, who knows)

3)When you say I'm going out with __________. It could be going out to grab grocery, food, WHATEVER, on a more casual term.

4)GOING OUT also means dating, seeing each other like a girlfriend/boyfriend (general public point of view)

In my opinion, I really don't give a _ about trying to decode the meaning of each. If I like the person, who cares if we're at the stage of going out or truly girlfriend and boyfriend.

Everybody has their own definitions of those things. There's no real definite line or answer.

To me, "going out" or "seeing someone" means to just casually go on dates, nothing official, no exclusive title. To "date" or be "dating" someone means to me that you're their bf/gf.

I don't know, whenever someone will ask "will you go out with me?" I always think that they are just literally wanting to take me out for a date or a hangout, no commitments or what not..  

Actually.. ignore me. I'm confusing myself blink.gif

Guest allison1derlnd

Hahaha ya don't worry I didn't know either. Luckily I understood where me, and my now bf, were at in these stage things. To me it doesn't hurt to ask just for clarity. Cause someone's definition might be different from what you think, you know?

I think 'going out' or 'going out on a date' is the same thing. But 'hanging out' would be a different story.

Basically... dating = non-exclusive. boyfriend/girlfriend = exclusive.

But I guess those terms could mean something different for everyone.

Guest superpig

Yeh, I remember talking to my friend about this. It got me really confused. x_x

My friend reckons that going out and dating are the exact same thing whereas I didn't think so. It got me rethinking about all the guys I "hung out" out with one-to-one, all of which I thought were only on a friend bases.

For me...

"Going out" is just 2 friends hanging out, like going to the movies or shopping etc... but have no real intimate relationship with each other besides being just friends.

"Dating" is when 2 people are doing things together, like go to the movies, have dinner, shopping etc... but the relationship of the 2 people can (or is expected to) lead to something more.

Boyfriend / Girlfriend, just says what it is - 2 People in a confirmed intimate relationship.

It seems everyone has a different definition though. =_= The annoying thing is, all guys ask me to "hang out" or "go out". In my friend's context, they asked me on a date - making me rethink about all the conversations I have when I went out with them, which could have ruined these "dates". =_=

Guest kiss_bunny

My friend reckons that going out and dating are the exact same thing whereas I didn't think so. It got me rethinking about all the guys I "hung out" out with one-to-one, all of which I thought were only on a friend bases.

For me...

"Going out" is just 2 friends hanging out, like going to the movies or shopping etc... but have no real intimate relationship with each other besides being just friends.

"Dating" is when 2 people are doing things together, like go to the movies, have dinner, shopping etc... but the relationship of the 2 people can (or is expected to) lead to something more.

Boyfriend / Girlfriend, just says what it is - 2 People in a confirmed intimate relationship.

It seems everyone has a different definition though. =_= The annoying thing is, all guys ask me to "hang out" or "go out". In my friend's context, they asked me on a date - making me rethink about all the conversations I have when I went out with them, which could have ruined these "dates". =_=

omg!!! i know what you mean!!!! my friend says i went on a date with this kid just because the kid liked me and paid for me. but i though a date should be when both people are looking for something to come out of it?? i clearly wasnt

omg!!! i know what you mean!!!! my friend says i went on a date with this kid just because the kid liked me and paid for me. but i though a date should be when both people are looking for something to come out of it?? i clearly wasnt

That was a date. Going out on dates is casual, even between people with no romantic interest with each other (like having lunch "date" with co-workers. It took me a while to get used to this as I'm not thrilled to have the word "date" associated with having lunch with my co-workers but whatever.) Dating someone however is different. When you say you're "going out on dates" with someone, it just means you hang out but when you say you're "dating someone" that means you're committed to the person, boyfriend/girlfriend status.

Guest HERMIT

But what does it mean when this happens?

Me: ...but I thought you loved me...?

Her: Yeah right. But anyway, I'm leaving. I am just going out on a date with my new boyfriend.

Guest HERMIT

That means you're NOT the father.

LOL, wth - I wouldn't be going out with my daughter. Silly.

I would consider having a date with her. But only so long as she understood that I wasn't her boyfriend.

(How's that for throwing a wrench into the thought process of this discussion? :wacko: )

Guest MaknaeLove

For me...

i think the same way as you!

when guys ask if i want to hang out... i dont think of it as asking me out or anything.. i think its just a 'hang out between friends' so i would ask if they want some other people to come too since the more the merrier and they would seem kinda sad ...

i really think guys have to word things better so it's more clear! a hang out = going out as friends!!

i like it when the relationship is really clear..

i want to have a just hanging out period where we're just friends and if we like each other then we'll date...

then after a few dates.. when we know more about each other.. i would love for the guy to ask if i want to be their gf ... and we'll be exclusive..

i dont like it when it's just going out a few times and somehow we're just bf/gf without having the question and everything...

because i feel like it's so confusing.. i start wondering if we're really exclusive.. or still just a mutual liking?

Archived