[Drama 2011] A Thousand Days' Promise 천일의 약속

serenasf95

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saladyum

I found a lovely article on Kim Hae Sook, the actress playing Ji Hyung's mother.

Basically she lets us know what she thinks about her character, and shows respect for the script-writer, who she calls "Teacher." She also talks about a poetic aura that is Thousand Days' Promise.

Her thoughts on "love" is interesting.

here it is: the article

I also found another article, but this one makes me confused. Never occured to me Kim Rae-won's acting was criticized.

I think he's doing well. Am I too biased? To me, he and Soo Ae have good chemistry. Not the sizzling type, but the quiet and mellow type between people who have known each other long and comfortably enough.

This article ends with something that doesn't sound too promising, "the crews are cracking their brains to see how to mold the actor into a charming man with innocent and pure love.” Is Ji-hyung's love supposed to be pure? and innocent? Is the translation correct? Or is it true that Korean audience are criticizing Kim Rae-won, putting pressure on him?

here's the puzzling article

thanks for the wonderful screencaps and news articles about the drama! :)

haven't visited here for a while and i need to catch up on the last few episodes! kyahhh..been quite busy:(

yay! the ratings are getting better! let's go for no.1!! any news yet about the possible extension of ATDP??

please keep on keeping he goodies flowing! :) grateful to those who always find time to share their thoughts, screencaps, translations and recaps:D

I'm very busy right now, so I haven't had time to look in here all week. So just a few random remarks before I have to get my head down into other things again

[...]

But I still don't know why Seoyeon calling Jihyung to rescue her instead of her brother Moon Kwon or Jaemin?

She tries to read the names on her phonebook list, but she can't make sense of them. Just as she has a moment earlier correctly read the exit marker as being to 풍납동 and is able to tell JH that "풍납동 (Pungnap-dong) is what is says" on the sign, but the name means nothing to her. So she punches in, digit by digit, the only number she can just about force out of her memory, which is JH's. (We see now why so much ado was made in the first episode about the memorability of phone numbers, his in particualar). When JH arrives, she tells him "In my speed-dial list, I know I've got Jae Min and Moon Gwon's numbers, but for a moment I couldn't think what they meant. I'm sorry. I'd forgotten everything. All I could remember was your number."

She was headed North towards central Seoul on Expressway 100, but she'd passed the exit for Highway 3 that would have taken her off the expressway towards the north-west, straight under the Olympic Expressway, then across the Han River and home. It's notable that, just as when she lost her way on the road in the first ep, she senses something is wrong when the route she's currently on swings in a totally wrong direction: here, bending sharply eastwards towards the West Hanam interchange, so the lights of the downtown Seoul tower blocks would suddenly no longer be ahead and to her left, but increasingly far behind in her rearview mirror. That's the kind of marker by which we all subconsciously navigate the road network of cities we know well by night, but suddenly for her, all her subliminal internal GPS signals is alarm that something's very wrong, not guidance on how to put it right. It all emphasizes that she is not totally out of it, but has just enough awareness to know she's somehow gone very wrong, and a panic-inducing inability to connect that intuition with any practical steps to remedy it.

"A Moment to Remember" VS "A Thousand Days' Promise"

Thanks for posting that, but I'd say the article makes a pretty shallow comparison of AMTR and TDP (though it reads a bit better in the Korean original). Above all, the account of AMTR is so woolly that I wonder whether whoever wrote that piece ever saw the movie.

One crucial difference is that in AMTR the couple were married before she is diagnosed, leading to a wholly different set of psychological and moral issues (not to mention a significantly different plot-arch, nothing to do with the genre difference).

Not that her symptoms weren't visible from the start via the apparently purloined bottle of Coke, and they are there in the magnificent central transition scene to the accompaniment of Nessun Dorma on the soundtrack, with her descent of the ceremonial staircase in her wedding dress merging into the scene with the forgotten pan on the stove, ingeniously using slow-motion to keep the pace of the panic action at the stove aligned with the stately pace of the bridal ceremonial steps. Another key difference overlooked here is that the wife, on learning of her illness, takes the same line as her father does. "It runs in our family," her father tells her husband in the aftermath of the disastrous dinner party, "we'll take her back now". Damaged goods in the Korean marriage market, in other words, with the vendor family accepting liability and responsibility towards the customer husband. The husband can, and does, refuse to see it that way and won't sign the divorce papers his wife insists that her father has drawn up before leaving him, but that's the limit of what he can do in the face of her determination to disappear back into her family's domain before passing into obliviousness, underlining the gulf between the this conception of marriage (which we see time and again in Kdramas) and the notion that "a man shall leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife, and they shall become one flesh" (where Jesus is of course quoting the Book of Genesis).

Then there's the husband's mother. She's nothing like JH's wondrous mama, but she is remarkably like what we've seen of SY's mother (except that the latter isn't in jail when we first encounter her on screen, though her leaving her children to starve was a criminal act, just as the gruff but kind-hearted grandfather who raised him has a few similarities with SY's aunt). Again, a main thrust of the movie is the way the wife compels her husband to do what the script presents as his undoubted filial duty to his wholly neglectful and hostile mother, at the cost of ruining the newly-weds' plans to build and inhabit the house he has designed for them. Of course, this sacrifice on her son's part has a redemptive effect on the mother and restores the family bond, but the supposedly infectious nature of virtue is yet another maxim of Kdrama and mainstream Kmovie orthodoxy not to be questioned except by the fringe "Westernized" avant garde, and it belongs in a more clear-cut and idealized dimension than this drama has, so far at any rate, been inhabiting.

[...]

One thing I cannot understand is why Mung Hee and her mon got so mad in front of Jihyung, a guest, like that? They show no manners and prove they are of lowly class. Wonder if Jaemin feels embarrass of his family behavior?

[...]

Well, Auntie has been bowled over by the shock, not only of the marriage news, but by the bridegroom-to-be showing up unheralded, and so she's all the more outraged at the vileness of her daughter's behaviour (I guess you need to have that scene properly subbed to grasp how despicably and persistently mean-minded the young woman's words are: and unlike her mother, her reaction is pre-meditated, She's plainly been rehearsing this venom all the way from the store and has come home expressly to deliver it) And the presence of a guest, and a guest, moreover, who's to marry the woman whom everyone else in the family apart from MH herself regards as her younger sister, makes MH's offence much more serious than her mother's reaction to it. To make things worse, far from seeing the error of her ways on reflection, she's obviously been complaining to her husband, because he comes home (though not without stoking up on soju-fuelled Dutch courage first) to upbraid his mother-in-law for daring to hit his wife. That's his prerogative as a husband, he claims, though he's brusquely told that a mother's right to pelt her offspring of any age outranks that of a mere spouse, who isn't really "family" after all. (There's a reminder here, which wouldn't be lost on Korean viewers, that he is in what many feel to be the humiliating position of living with his wife's family, not his parents). And then he gets a pelting in his turn from his wife for daring to talk back to her father, reinforcing the reminder his mother-in-law's just given him of where he is in the household pecking, or rather thumping, order

[...]

I also found another article, but this one makes me confused. Never occured to me Kim Rae-won's acting was criticized.

[...]

One of several irritating things about that blog is that the author, who plainly has considerable problems writing English at the level some of the topics require, hardly ever links to or otherwise references the Korean originals. This is bad manners, to put it mildly. It's also frustrating because it's apparent that the translations are inadequate simply from the rampant Koreanisms. But without proper references there's no way of getting at the originals to see what was actually said.

In the case of that article about Kim Hae Suk, the core material (i.e. what was said in the interview) is apparently lifted from some source that isn't even credited in outline. At least in the second piece you mention, we are told it comes "via" Joong-ang Ilbon. Now that paper, whatever one thinks of its political line, has highly-skilled translators both for the material in its English edition and in its daily bi-lingual op-ed column, which I recommend to all intermediate or advanced learners who want a daily dose of authentic Korean with an excellent translation right alongside it. So it's sad to see such hamfisted, as well as inadequately referenced and credited, translation of what is claimed to be that newspaper's content. The paper has only a relatively small portion of its mainstream Korean content on open Internet access, and its search engine doesn't turn up anything like the item here quoted. Which suggests that the Korean original was in either the print and/or subscribers-only portion, or it wasn't really from that source at all.

I did, however, turn up a somewhat more sensible appraisal there of KRW's performance in this drama, based on an interview with him. I really don't have time to translate it myself right now, but for anyone who reads Korean, or anyone else who may be prepared to do the translation, here's the link

http://joongang.joinsmsn.com/article/543/6730543.html

Finally, for now, SY must have picked up on the excessive teeth-cleaning, because she's now keeping a tally in her office toothbrush case. In case anyone's wondering why the slip of paper in there bears the Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja for "correct /just/ righteous" [正, read as 정 in Korean] the explanation has only marginally to do with the core meanings of that character. Writing this character, stroke by stroke, is the way people in all cultures that use Chinese characters (and some that used to, but don't any longer, such as in Vietnam) count things by fives. The character is one of the very first ones children learn, partly because it inculcates some key principles of stroke order, top to bottom, left to right etc) and it happens to have 5 simple straight-line strokes. You tally things by writing the character stroke by stroke, adding one stroke for each item you count off until the character is complete, whereopon you start writing the character again for the next item. Then you count the characters, multiply by five, and add in the strokes present in the uncompleted last character, if there is one, to get you r total. That's what SY has done, the single horizonal line to the right of the 正 is where she's started the next tally-character, so the total count is 5+1 = 6. You can see this happening on a larger scale in the scene in Autumn in my Heart ep 2, where the Class President is being elected. As the teacher calls out the name on each voting slip, the girls acting as tellers add one more stroke to the 正 characters under the names of the candidates on the blackboard. It's the exact equivalent of the way we tally using "farmyard gates" in the West, lining up four vertical strokes, then crossing them through with a single horizontal stroke to mark a count of 5 before starting over with the next "gate".

1000 Days’ Promise in Turning Point – Heading to Sad Ending?

How is the ending of SBS TV’s A Thousand Days’ Promise which has broadcast half of its episodes is going to develop, has attracting the attention and discussion of viewers.

With the 12th episode broadcast on November 22th, 2011, the 20-episode TV series A Thousand Days’ Promise has broadcast 60% of its content.

In the episode 12, Ji Hyung (played by Kim Rae Won) who decided to marry with Seo Yeon (played by Soo Ae), is carrying fruits and snacks to pay a visit to the home of Seo Yeon despite family objection. The aunt develops mixed feelings after seeing that Seo Yeon is going to marry, and gets to meet Ji Hyung, causing her to shed tears of joy. Aunt said with tears, “Grow up so difficult, finally meets with suitable people, you must live properly, my kid,” showing her dear love for Seo Yeon, which also revealed the complex feelings of Seo Yeon who lost her father and abandoned by her mother.

promise-sad-ending.jpg

Ji Hyung officially requests, “I will take good care of Seo Yeon, please pass Seo Yeon to me.” The aunt agrees to the marriage holding back tears. Seo Yeon who eventually regains sense of happiness in the despair of life said to Ji Hyung, “I want to say before I forget, I love you, sorry, thank you.”

On the other hand, Hyang Ki knew from Ji Hyung’s mother that news that Ji Hyung is going to marry, dropping the tears of shock and sadness.

At the end of the episode, the amnesia symptom of Seo Yeon is getting worse, she who just started to have hope is forced to stand on the edge of hopelessness.

The script of the drama is currently wrote till episode 16, subsequent script will center around Ji Hyung, describing the the past love and non-betrayal of Ji Hyung to Seo Yeon. And whether the drama series A Thousand Days’ Promise which ends on episode 20 can bring a satisfactory ending to viewers with a reasonable development, is worth the wait to see what’s happening.

AsianDrama

SBS '천일의 약속' 수애 임신으로 극적 반전?

20111126ba017.jpg

SBS ‘천일의 약속’이 수애의 임신으로 극적인 반전을 맞을까?

‘천일의 약속’에서 알츠하이머에 걸린 서연(수애)과 지형(김래원)의 결혼이 임박한 가운데 수애의 임신설이 제기되고 있다. 다음주 방송될 13회 예고편에서 서연과 지형의 결혼소식을 향기(정유미)의 집안에서도 알게 돼 두 사람의 결혼이 급물살을 타게 됐다.

이 가운데 인터넷 등에서 수애의 임신설이 제기되고 있다. ‘천일의 약속’은 당초 드라마 기획때부터 불치병에 걸린 여주인공이 낳은 아이를 남자 주인공이 키운다는 순애보를 그린 것으로 알려졌다. 이에 네티즌들은 제작진이 극중 향기(정유미)가 파혼후 헛구역질하는 장면으로 임신의혹을 샀지만 수애의 임신은 ‘낚시성’이 되지 않을 것으로 전망했다. 아울러 비련의 여주인공 수애가 임신해서 약물복용을 포기하면 병의 진행속도가 빨라져 병의 치료와 아이를 놓고 남녀 주인공간의 강력한 갈등요소가 될 수 있다.

‘천일의 약속’은 첫회부터 서연과 지형의 베드신이 여러 차례 등장한 데 이어 5. 6회에서 서연이 만두에 집착하는 모습이 방송됐다. 지난 8일 방송 말미에 나온 9회 예고에서 서연의 임신을 암시하는 내용으로 ‘수애 임신설’이 떠올랐다. 그러나 14일 방송에서 서연이 지형 어머니(김해숙)로부터 임신의혹을 받자 알츠하이머 환자라고 고백했지만 임신여부는 확인되지 않았다. 총 20회 가운데 18회까지 대본이 나온 가운데 다음 주 방송에서 서연과 지형의 결혼과 신혼여행 장면이 방송된다.

Nate News

Can Someone Translate ????, i use google translate but its a mess...

frm google translate :

Soo Ae have bought the traditionaI suspicion of pregnancy 'naksiseong' This was not expected. In addition, the heroine of tragic love Lee Byung Hun to abandon the drug when pregnant and a faster disease progression rates and treatment of disease, place your child a strong conflict between male and female protagonists could be a factor.

'천일의 약속' 김래원 수애, 결혼식서 키스 '애틋'

20111125_1322201761_18630700_1.jpg

[TV리포트 권혁기 기자] SBS 월화드라마 '천일의 약속'(김수현 극본, 정을영 연출) 김래원과 수애가 애틋한 결혼식 키스로 사랑을 재확인했다.

오 는 28일 방송되는 '천일의 약속' 13회에서는 지형(김래원)과 서연(수애)의 결혼식 장면이 전파를 탄다. 지형과 서연은 오랫동안 연인이었지만 집안 사정 때문에 헤어질 위기에 처했고 더구나 지형은 향기(정유미)와의 정략결혼까지 앞둔 상황이었다. 그러다 최근 지형은 알츠하이머에 걸린 서연을 잊지 못한채 향기와 파혼했고 서연 역시 우여곡절 끝에 그와의 결혼식을 결심했던 것.

촬 영은 지난 6일 롯데호텔 서울 사파이어볼룸 웨딩홀에서 진행됐다. 김래원은 나비넥타이와 함께 헤어에도 한껏 신경을 쓰면서 새신랑을 방불케 했고 '드레수애'란 애칭을 가진 수애는 이번 결혼식 촬영을 위해 쇄골이 돋보이는 웨딩드레스를 입고 나타나 식장에 모인 제작진과 출연진, 그리고 호텔관계자의 눈길을 사로잡았다.

촬 영을 준비하는 동안 김래원은 옷과 결혼서약서 등을 꼼꼼히 챙기며 여유로운 모습을 보이는가 하면 손가락을 깨물며 생각하는 모습에 이어 팔짱을 낀 채 웃어보이기도 했다. 그러다 대본을 보고 자신의 대사를 체크하는 프로다운 모습도 잊지 않았다.

그러다 정을영 감독의 큐사인이 떨어지자 알렉스의 사회에 맞춰 발걸음을 옮기던 김래원과 수애는 서약서를 읊고는 쑥쓰러워하다 이내 애뜻한 결혼키스까지 나눴다.

조연출 이우람 PD는 "그동안 극에서 중요한 긴장감을 불러일으킨 지형과 서연이 결혼식을 올렸다"며 "앞으로 둘을 둘러싼 또 다른 에피소드가 더욱 궁금증을 자아낼 것"이라고 귀띔했다.

지형과 서연의 애틋한 키스장면은 오는 28일 오후 10시 방송된다.

사진='천일의 약속' 김래원과 수애(SBS 제공)

NateNews

~ More Wedding Pics ~

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Finally they get married yay sooooooooooooooooooo happy  :wub:

ohhh myyy god!!!!!!!

So Ae looks stunning in her wedding gown! She's a very beautiful bride :)) and KRW looks so handsome too. Such a good looking couple:wub:

But after this happiness comes the sad parts now.. SY gradually forgetting everything :tears: How i wish they'll have a baby first before SY's alzeihmer's worsens, you know so that JH has someone to remind him of SY in the future..

Oh 71e, so nice the wedding photos....is it gonna be next week? Rae Won is all hair up, looking really like a groom there and Soo Ae just look beautiful... she's a bit shy there in one of the photo.... Is this the first time seeing Soo Ae in a wedding dress of her dramas? Jihyung is smiling from ear to ear there. Pity for HyangGi there!

---

I'm sorry about my post earlier about the hardsub, I actually gave up the thought of uploading because 1. I don't know how to upload. 2. I've got mega account but it takes nearly 4 hours to upload one... So forget about it. Now I can really truly appreciate those angel uploaders out there! And Million Million Thanks to them!

I guess it won't be long before one of those bloggers who attempt to sort-of translate "news" from Korean sites tackles this latest stuff, but in the meantime you aren't really missing anything.

The first piece in particular is groundless tittle tattle from the Net. It kicks off by claiming that the original story concept of the drama was about a man who devotes himself to raising the child of a terminally-ill woman. Well maybe that was the original concept, but so what? Then it rehashes what we know already about the two already deflated pregnancy false alarms in the plot (HG, then SY) and the fact, obvious from other sources, that in next week's episode SY and JH will marry, before saying that "some netizens" are "speculating" that the next plot development will be that SY gets pregnant, unleashing a conflict between the couple as to whether she should stop taking her medication, and thus hasten her decline, for the unborn baby's sake. Well, I expect"some netizens" are also speculating that Elvis may turn up at the wedding and give a rendering of Jailhouse Rock that has all the guests jiving themselves silly, but that doesn't make it particularly likely to happen. Unless the writer of New Tales Of Gisaeng has taken over the script, that is.

The second piece doesn't really contain anything that isn't plain from the photos, and concludes with the promise that "The tender [= 애틋한] kiss scene between SY and JH will be broadcast this coming 28th of the month at 10 pm."

But before that, and in case we're worried (or in the case of some of the ladies in his thread, hopeful) that the kiss will take up all two hours of airtime, we are told that the drama's assistant PD has "hinted" that while so far the wedding has been a source of "significant tensions", things will now emerge that will give rise to considerable "curiosity" about what the next episodes will bring.

Well now, who'd have thought that? Makes this sound like a drama, or something.

Wallpaper Wedding Pics

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding1.jpg

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding2.jpg

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding3.jpg

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding4.jpg

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding5.jpg

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding6.jpg

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding7.jpg

promise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding8.jpgpromise-sooae-kimraewon-wedding9.jpg

Kim Rae Won and Soo Ae Sad Yet Beautiful Wedding Kiss

timthumbphphg.jpg

Kim Rae Won and Soo Ae is staging a sad yet beautiful kiss in the episode 15 of A Thousand Days’ Promise broadcast on November 28th, 2011.

The day’s episode is broadcasting the wedding ceremony of male and female leads. During the period, Park Ji Hyung (played by Kim Rae Won) was giving up his original engagement with fiancée for true love, and despite the objection from his father and mother and pressure from surrounding, he is persistent in guarding own love. The wedding scene has been cheered by viewers.

The wedding scene was shot on November 6th in Seoul’s Lotte Hotel wedding hall. On that day, the posture of groom Kim Rae Won who was wearing standard full dress attire, and th beautiful and charming bride Soo Aee who was wearing wedding gown, was really catching everyone eyes.

When preparing for filming, Kim Rae Won carefully laid the clothing and wedding vows. And he also did not forget to check that he does not forget the dialog lines.

Assistant director cum producer Lee Woo Ram said, “The critical tension previously evoked the wedding of Ji Hung and Seo Yeon.” He hinted, “The incident that is surrounding another episode will be even more intriguing.”

CR : AsianDrama

@baduy thank you for all the clarifications.  To have some sanity in the sea of insanity, what a relief!  Especially for those of us who don't understand Korean.  Thanks again.

For what (little) it's worth -- it actually reveals much less than the teasers at the tail of the last episode -- here's my translation of the text preview for ep 13 that SBS put on the official site earlier today. I suppose I'd better bestow spoiler tags on it, all the same.

After hastening to set the earliest possible date for the wedding ceremony, SY and JH spend a happy time living together.

Meanwhwile, HG, having heard the news about the wedding, contacts JH to say she'd like to meet with him just one more time. JH's mother tells her husband and then HG's parents that the wedding is taking place.

‘Thousand Days’ Promise’ angelic Soo Ae in a wedding dress

soo_ae_wedding_dress_drama.jpg

The scene of the beautiful wedding of Soo Ae and Kim Rae Won on ‘Thousand Days’ Promise’ has been revealed.

SBS has revealed the still shots from the wedding of Ji Hyung (played by Kim Rae Won) and Seo Yeon (played by Soo Ae) which took place at Lotte Hotel on November 25th. The wedding will air on the 13th episode on November 28th. The touching and happy scene of the wedding is really drawing a lot of attention.

In the pictures, Kim Rae Won and Soo Ae truly made a perfect couple. Kim Rae Won transformed into the groom with a stylish tuxedo and the slicked hairstyle. Soo Ae showed off her goddess-like appearance emphasized with the beautiful dress. The dress accentuated the fine lines of Soo Ae’s shoulders adding to the pure beauty of Soo Ae.

Lee Woo Ram PD of ‘Thousand Days’ Promise’ stated, “The staff as well as the insiders of the hotel could not tear their eyes away from beautiful Soo Ae. There are many things to follow the wedding so please keep you interests up for the episode”.

Lotte Hotel’s public relations team leader Park Min Hyuk stated, “We are satisfied that the wedding scene of Kim Rae Won and Soo Ae was completed beautifully. We expect to have a lot of Hallyu fans visit the hotel thanks to ‘Thousand Days’ Promise’.

The heart-wrenching kiss between Ji Hyung and Seo Yeon who are finally able to get married will air as a part of the 13th episode on November 28th.

CR : KpopFever

I thought they are going to have a simple family home wedding where the groom and bride make bows to the elders, etc... But we are going to get an actual wedding reception and get to see Soo Ae in a wedding dress ... that's a bonus!

Soo Ae's dress looks too simple, no beads, no crystals.... yet the ruffles on top makes it looks very nice.

Why a white wedding dress? Isn't white stand for purity? They're not pure are they? :D

Like ilovemyselfmore, if they're going to have a child and Jihyung is devoted to raising the child by himself, then maybe that's pure and innocent love that's what his character is supposed to be? (can it be realistic?) If that's the case then she's better hurry up or she won't be able to take care of the baby.

Anticipation to HyangGi's parents reactions and Will Jihyung's parents be at the wedding or just Seoyeon's family?

Already Monday is coming again..... Too fast and won't be long we all say goodbyes....

Archived