JJS_8439.jpg

JJS_8440.jpg

참 분위기 있는 컷입니다.

오른쪽 상단에 순간 달인줄 알았어요 ^^;;

JJS_8443.jpg

그녀의 아련한 눈길과 함께!

다음에 올릴 컷에는 송창의가 가득가득 나옵니다~!

CR : STARAZZi

Who is the best looking bride in 2011 kdramas? - Soo Ae!

Who is the best crying male actor in 2011 kdramas? - Rae Won!

If I were Seoyeon and the baby is health, yeah I will definitely have it....She has to leave her love behind for those who loves her right? ... "Let's forget me not"!

Rewatch the scene in the yard in ep 1 where JY walks in (noticeably carrying an expensive-looking up-market store-bought present for his hostess, not a batch of Granny's Home-Made Kimchi, as befits the son of a rich family visiting a family of much humbler status) while SY is bawling out her brother and trying to incinerate the manwha he's been reading instead of doing his schoolwork. That look SY and JH interchange is the 'coup de foudre' moment all Kdramas have to have, even ones as consistently original as this. She's had dibs on him since that day he came to dinner at the invitation of his school classmate JM. And that may even be the "day" he refers to in the very first dialogue, rather than the more obvious reference to their re-encounter years later in the art gallery, which led to their to their physical liaison. It's also what SY is referring to when she says she's had a crush on him since her teenage years.

Baduy, how can he's been thinking of her since the first incident and still sleeping with HyangGi when she visit him in the US? Nah, doesn't make sense!... It makes more sense if he prefer to the incident of re-encounter since then he stopped sleeping with HyangGi.

11월의 '천일의 약속' 촬영 현장!(6)

스타라찌 / 2011-12-01 10:28:19

IMG_1804.jpg

15회 방영분의 촬영 컷입니다~!

얼른 얼른 따라잡아야겠어요! *^^*

IMG_1815.jpg

베이지 패딩을 입은 수애.

손에는 목욕 가방을 들고 터덜터덜 걸어갑니다

IMG_1836.jpg

오른쪽 뒤에 김래원이 보이시나요?

IMG_1838.jpg

수애가 걱정이 되는지 목욕탕까지 따라왔습니다.

IMG_1858.jpg

분위기가 심상찮은 것이...혹...또 증상이 나타난 것은 아닐까요.

IMG_1867.jpg

먼 발치에서 지켜보는 김래원.

IMG_1871.jpg

그가 고생이 많습니다.

IMG_1875.jpg

이상우에게서 근심을 바통터치 받더니,

이제 그의 얼굴에 수심이 가득합니다.

IMG_1883.jpg

감시 모드 발동

IMG_1891.jpg

진단 받은지 얼마 안됐는데도, 일거수가 불안한 가운데..

앞으로 이야기가 어떻게 전개 될까요!?

IMG_1897.jpg

음..뒤에 행인들이 좁은 골목임에도 상당히 많네요!

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

물가에 어린자식 내놓은 마냥 우울한 낯빛.

JJS_8456.jpg

정을영 감독과 의견을 나누는 수애.

JJS_8458.jpg

JJS_8459.jpg

JJS_8460.jpg

JJS_8464.jpg

JJS_8465.jpg

마트에서 장 보는 장면 촬영 중인가봐요!

JJS_8467.jpg

하얀 김래원.

JJS_8469.jpg

하얀 수애.

JJS_8474.jpg

사진이 잘 찍힌 걸까요.

둘 다 깨끗한 피부, 멋진 옷걸이 입니다.

JJS_8479.jpg

JJS_8480.jpg

JJS_8482.jpg

우유를 만지작 만지작

JJS_8485.jpg

카메라를 보며 환하게 웃는 걸 보니

연기 도중인 것 같아요~!

JJS_8489.jpg

( '-')

JJS_8502.jpg

간단한 차림새인것 같지만, 코디와 스태프들의

무던한 노력이 들어갑니다!

JJS_8512.jpg

JJS_8518.jpg

JJS_8519.jpg

JJS_8520.jpg

구매할 것을 적어왔나 봅니다.

12월 5일 월요일 방송 컷의 첫파트입니다!

두번째 파트에는 송창의가 등장합니다 *^^*

Hi everyone... sorry for be missing for a long time... guests for the holiday just left...

Thank you everyone for amazing photos.. can't have enough of them.. The most beautiful couple...!

71e - loving your new avatar...!

I need to catch up on the thread and the drama... which has now been released into a book

A Thousand Days’ Promise Drama Novel Released

If you’re a fan of SBS’s Monday and Tuesday TV series A Thousand Days’ Promise, and you know how to read Korean language, the drama novel of A Thousand Days’ Promise has been published.

The A Thousand Days’ Promise drama novel that was written by the screenplay writer Kim Soo Hyun (김수현) is split into 2 part. The first part of the novel contains contains from episode 1 to 10 of the TV series, and has been released on November 8th, 2011. The second part of the drama novel which contains content from episode 11 to 20 is scheduled to release on a later date to match the ending of the drama.

Publisher said, “The original script wrote by author Kim Su Hyun was also published. The colloquial lines which are like musical melody, everybody can see the exclusive script of Kim Soo Hyun without modification, and can feel that delicate which can’t be appreciated through the acting. There will be greater happiness through comparing drama and the script.”

A Thousand Days’ Promise drama novel part 1 has the listed price of KRW $13,500 (about USD 11.72). With discount you can get it from as low as KRW $10,692 (about USD $9.28)

a-thousand-days-promise-drama-novel-cover.jpg

A Thousand Days’ Promise OST Album Released

The full album of SBS TV’s Monday and Tuesday drama series A Thousand Days’ Promise has been released officially on November 29th, 2011. The complete album of the OST for A Thousand Days’ Promise contains 15 tracks, as listed below.

A Thousand Days’ Promise OST Track List

1. It Hurts Here (여기가 아파 – Ver.1) – Baek Ji Young (백지영)

2. Like Words Said for the First Time (처음 하는 말처럼) – Shin Seung Hun (신승훈)

3. One Time Love (한번의 사랑) – Sung Si Kyung (성시경)

4. One Person (한사람) – 8Eight (에이트)

5. Don’t Love Me (사랑하지마) – Park Ji Hee (박지희)

6. It Hurts Here (여기가 아파 – Ver.2) – Baek Ji Young (백지영)

7. Pain (Main Title)

8. Blessing

9. Sky Garden (하늘 정원)

10. Lonely Time (고독의 시간)

11. Despair

12. Pain

13. Doubt (의심)

14. Disease

15. Smile Again

a-thousand-days-promise-ost.jpg

The OST is now available at major brick and mortar and online music stores.

Source: Korean Drama

Hi everyone....

Gorgeous recent photos, TRAN.. Thank you.. :D

Below are some OST VIDEOS on YouTube... And with English subs..! :)

1. Video by Dramacrazed22.. OST

Song: Like words being said for the first time

Singer: Shin Seung Hoon

A Thousand Days Promise OST: Like words being said for the first time

2. Video by Xanddie2 OST

A Thousand Days' Promise korean drama

Artist: Sung Si Kyung

Song: One Love(한번의 사랑)

A Thousand Days Promise OST: One Love

11월의 '천일의 약속' 촬영 현장!(7)

스타라찌 / 2011-12-01 12:21:03

JJS_8534_1.jpg

드디어 송창의가 출연했습니다~!

인생은 아름다워 때 맺은 인연일까요?

천일의 약속에서는 박영규-이미숙의 아들로 나옵니다.

JJS_8554.jpg

젖소 옷을 입은 정유미♡

JJS_8555.jpg

베이비 펌을 한 송창의

뭔가 굉장히 귀엽습니다.

JJS_8570.jpg

여동생에게 무심한 오빠로 잠깐 언급 된 적이 있었는데요..

과연?

JJS_8572.jpg

백 아이보리 코트가 무척 잘 어울립니다.

송창의의 이미지가 깨끗해서일거에요!

JJS_8578.jpg

JJS_8579.jpg

식사 장면이 모니터에는 저렇게 비춰집니다~!

JJS_8593.jpg

JJS_8595.jpg

근엄한 박영규!

JJS_8599.jpg

JJS_8603.jpg

잘못 입으면 정말 미스가 되는 새파란 니트티인데...

역시 패션의 완성은 얼굴인가 봅니다.

JJS_8618.jpg

JJS_8626.jpg

JJS_8627.jpg

엄마와 춤을

JJS_8635.jpg

JJS_8638.jpg

JJS_8646.jpg

이미숙이 너무 넒고 세련되게 나와서..ㅎㅎ

연상 연하 커플로 봐줄수도 있지 않을까요!

JJS_8654.jpg

이제 박영규도 자주 등장하니, 임채무 씨도 많이 등장 해주었으면 좋겠습니다.

JJS_8670.jpg

아휴 곱고 이뻐라.

JJS_8677.jpg

JJS_8680.jpg

집에서 이런 춤도 추는 군요!

보통 집에서는 경사스러운 날 개다리 춤이나 추는 줄 알았는데...

JJS_8688.jpg

JJS_8701.jpg

JJS_8718.jpg

군살 하나 없는 이미숙의 몸매가 마냥 부럽습니다...

JJS_8728.jpg

JJS_8735.jpg

JJS_8748.jpg

소외된 것 같아서 삐진 것 같은 표정이죠? ^^;;

JJS_8757.jpg

박영규를 찾아보세요!

JJS_8766.jpg

14화에 나왔던 첫 장면입니다 ^^ㅎㅎ

이제 12월이에요!

절반 이상 달려온 천일의 약속도 이번달에 종영이랍니다~!

그때까지 스틸 컷 사진은 계속 됩니다 쭈~~~욱!

Ep 15 text preview is now on SBS site

Despite repeated attempts, JH is unable to dissuade SY from keeping the baby, and they start to faithfully attend ante-natal classes like any other couple.

Both JH and HG gradually restore good relationships with their families.

HG's older brother, back home after a long absence, asks HG to invest in a Broadway production he's planning, leading HG to take a trip to the States to visit with a friend who lives there.

What I like to see Seoyeon do in these few last episode is to show JiHyung how much she loves him. Make him feel these are the best time of his life and forever remember it and never never forget!

Who else find this conversation funny? Seoyeon is very honest isn't she? This writer is different...

jhsye13.jpg

Who else find this conversation funny?

In the original Korean, it's a truly wonderful touch of the lighter tones this astonishing writer can mix in from her enormous palette of hues and moods. But those English subs kill most of the tone.

My version of the three lines there would be

Don't you dare fart!

I don't want to be gassed.

My biological weapons pack quite a punch, don't they?

That brings home to me that it won't be long before fansubbed videoclips of the wedding vows start to appear, and since the people who make such clips seem often to work from c-subs, I want to get in a pre-emptive strike here. The vows the couple make in unison, rather than exchange, are as simple and eloquent as can be imagined.

"I JH / I SY/ vow, in the presence of all those gathered here, to live our whole lives together, for better, for worse, as husband and wife.

That's it. (The "I love you. Thank you for accepting me" is just a chaser.)

But I just took a look at what the c-subs make of that, and oh boy, they've piled on a whole package of trimmings taken from apparently similar scenes in other dramas. Not only does the simple brevity get lost, but there's one expression in particular that is completely out of place here, and it would be a disaster if it leaked into English subs. The c-subs include a pledge to live together 白头偕老, literally "till our hair turns white." That's actually just an idiom here, equivalent of "till death us do part", but it's completely out of place, because it's very obvious that SY and JH have weeded out any explicit references to old age, longevity, or death when deciding what their marriage promise should be. The author has plainly given an enormous amount of thought to all her characters' exact choice of words, here and everywhere else, and it falls to subbers to take similar care themselves, otherwise they present viewers with a version of the dialogue which is distorted or impoverished, and sometimes both.

No drama has touched my heart this deeply.  I don't know whether it is because of the fact I usually watch comedies, or because of its specialness.

But ADP is amazing,  Currently I am at episode 12, and when SY told MoonKwon that she is going to get married, and the smile on her face and the fact that MoonKwon got really happy for the happiness of his sister, truly touched me.  It was amazing how good the actors portrayed that scene and it made it heartbreaking to see this short happy moment in SY life.  I am very grateful for being able to watch this scene, it showed me true love.(I also really liked the scene where SY's cousing and JH hug each other)

Thank You everyone for sharing those great pictures, I am trying not to get any spoilers, but I can't resist.

Look like on Monday Seoyeon's mood swing gonna goes bananas on Moon Kwon and JiHyung. She's a handful to handle... JiHyung is slowly feeling his hell?

Baduy, Thanks for your clarification there, that makes more sense and your translation always brings more elegant to writer's words ...

Partly because the majority of the subs currently available have been rushed out and are somewhat superficial and in places inaccurate, people insist on seeing this drama as having its dark side only in the shadow cast by knowledge of the inevitable outcome of the disease. So they're interpreting the most recent episodes in particular along the lines of "make happy memories while we can" sort of stuff that we've seen so many times before in Kdramas.

But that level of meaning is obvious from a mere outline of the plot, and it doesn't take account of SY's insistence, in episode after episode, that she hates typical TV drama plots and despises the idea of "living out" a plot of that kind. But it's the sort of plot SY despises that is being seen by viewers who either don't follow the Korean at all and so can't pick up on the many layers here, or who do understand Korean but are consuming this drama in fast-food mode, heedless of its rich textures and depths which need to be taken in and savored slowly.

To try to give some indication of what I mean, here are my translations of two crucial voiceovers by SY which have so far not fared too well so far at the hands of most translators. The first is in ep 13 at 00:56:53, when on the night before the wedding, SY can't sleep and gets up to sit alone in the darkened living room, thinking

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players," somebody once said. I'm now an Alzheimer's sufferer. And because he feels sorry for me, a man is going to marry me. Thanks to that man, it's my role to be happy. And, for brief moments, I take a grip on myself and act out my happy character part. But all the time... I'm thinking to myself... "What a dreadful thing I'm inflicting on this man."

This is all of a piece with a similarly dark-toned inner monologue the next day in ep 14 at 00:09:22. SY has just assured JY with a broad and apparently heartfelt smile that the only reason she's a bit down is that she's been stressed out by the wedding preparations. But then, while JY's eyes are on the road, but the camera is on her suddenly, but secretly, desolate face, we hear her voice saying

That's not the reason. A while back now, I was suddenly overcome by such violent rage that I wanted to go slam my head against something till I died. Why me? Why was it me who got embroiled in this? Sure, it could have happened to anyone. But why did that 'anyone' have to me me? And where's the sense in what I'm doing right now? This man and I, what are we doing here together?

JH sees SY as a woman with a dreadful destiny whom he hopes to be able, albeit briefly, to make happy. And that's all a lot of viewers are seeing too. But it's not what the writer is portraying or Soo Ae is embodying so compellingly. "Act out my happy character part" ... "Where's the sense in what I'm doing right now?" Much of the real bite in this drama comes from this strand, in which SY stands to one side of her "happy moments" self, watching her own "performance" in that melodramatic role and feeling deeply uneasy about it, partly because it involves deceiving the man who is prepared to give up so much for her sake.

Deceiving him, because she has to let him think she is as thoroughly happy as he wants her to be, and as happy as she'd like to be herself, if only she honestly could. She has to let him keep thinking he can do for her something she knows deep down he simply can't do, because no-one can. JH doesn't even come near to seeing this, and SY is determined that he never will. After all he's done and still has to do for her sake, how could she let him see that, deep down, it's all no good to her? No good, because what's been inflicted on her is too irredeemably evil to be overlaid by anything anyone could do for or with her.

But there is one character within the drama who does seem to see, or at least glimpse, this: JM. One of the most complex scenes in the drama so far is the one in the cafe where SY and JH sit side by side opposite JM, and she tells her cousin she's given in to that "devil at her ear" and decided to accept JY's proposal. She goes all girly-gooey, and JH takes that at face value. But JM, like his father, sees a whole lot but says very little unless he has to, He knows SY better than anyone else, certainly better than JH does, and he can see that this "simple happiness" isn't the whole story. That's why he flashed back to that cafe scene on the eve of the wedding and joined his mother over the soju bottle, though he couldn't share his real misgivings with her. Partly because he respects SY's wish, which he's also just recalled, that his mother shouldn't learn of SY's illness until she herself is out of the shadow of a possible recurrence of her cancer. If JM could be party to those somber musings of SY immediately before and after her wedding, JM would understand them where no-one else within the drama could.

Let me give one close-up example of the sort of thing I'm unhappy about in some of the subs, in case anyone suspects I'm being randomly pernickety. In the subs on kimchee drama for ep 13, (which I now see were "borrowed" from DramaFever) if you look at the part with that first voiceover I just translated and try to find an equivalent of ny "Thanks to that man, it's my role to be happy", you won't find it. The Korean is translated there as "Because of that man, I am happy." A serious mistranslation, and all the more unfortunate because no-one who doesn't hear and understand the actual Korean will be be aware of it. What she says is 그 남자 때문에 나는 행복해 한다 The presence of that 한다 at the end there, completely ignored by the subbers, converts what would otherwise indeed mean just "I am happy" into the more problematic "I /have to be / am expected to be / am required to be / happy." Two meanings a galaxy apart. In keeping with the context of the surrounding sentences, with their "play-acting" motif, I have opted to make that into "it's my role to be happy" which some translators would find is too free, but that's always a difficult judgement call. [i would want to argue in defense of my specific choice there that I am also trying to do justice to the distinctive, but elusive contribution the so-called "topic particle" on 나는 makes towards that meaning of her having "her part" to play. But whole volumes have been written on that particle and its many-facetted uses, so I won't start down that trail here.] The essential thing is that any translation must convey, one way or another, that she most certainly IS NOT saying she IS happy, period.

And my broader point is that this scriptwriter ponders every single word she chooses, down to the finest points of speech level and grammatical nuance. Any translator who wants to show proper respect for her achievement and make at least some of it truly perceptible to non-Korean speakers has to try to do the same. There's no way that can be done with the sort of instant turnaround translation too many impatient fans have come to demand.

Partly because the majority of the subs currently available have been rushed out and are somewhat superficial and in places  inaccurate, people insist on seeing this drama as having its dark side only in the shadow cast by knowledge of the inevitable outcome of the disease. So they're interpreting the most recent episodes in particular along the lines of  "make happy memories while we can" sort of stuff that we've seen so many times before in Kdramas.

But that level of meaning is obvious from a mere outline of the plot, and it doesn't take account of SY's insistence, in episode after episode, that she hates typical TV drama plots and despises the idea of "living out" a plot of that kind. But it's the sort of plot SY despises that is being seen by viewers who either don't follow the Korean at all and so can't pick up on the many layers here, or who do understand Korean but are consuming this drama in fast-food mode, heedless of its rich textures and depths which need to be taken in and savored slowly.

To try to give some indication of what I mean, here are my translations of two crucial voiceovers by SY which have so far not fared too well so far at the hands of most translators. The first is in ep 13 at 00:56:53, when on the night before the wedding, SY can't sleep and gets up to sit alone in the darkened living room, thinking

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players," somebody once said. I'm now an Alzheimer's sufferer. And because he feels sorry for me, a man is going to marry me. Thanks to that man, it's my role to be happy. And, for brief moments, I take a grip on myself and act out my happy character part. But all the time...  I'm thinking to myself... "What a dreadful thing I'm inflicting on this man."

This is all of a piece with a similarly dark-toned inner monologue the next day in ep 14 at 00:09:22. SY has just assured JY with a broad and apparently heartfelt smile that the only reason she's a bit down is that she's been stressed out by the wedding preparations. But then, while JY's eyes are on the road, but the camera is on her suddenly, but secretly, desolate face, we hear her voice saying

That's not the reason. A while back now, I was suddenly overcome by such violent rage that I wanted to go slam my head against something till I died. Why me? Why was it me who got embroiled in this?  Sure, it could have happened to anyone. But why did that 'anyone' have to me me? And where's the sense in what I'm doing right now? This man and I, what are we doing here together?

JH sees SY as a woman with a dreadful destiny whom he hopes to be able, albeit briefly, to make happy. And that's all a lot of viewers are seeing too. But it's not what the writer is portraying or Soo Ae is embodying so compellingly.  "Act out my happy character part" ... "Where's the sense in what I'm doing right now?" Much of the real bite in this drama comes from this strand, in which SY stands to one side of her "happy moments" self, watching her own "performance" in that melodramatic role and feeling deeply uneasy about it, partly because it involves deceiving the man who is prepared to give up so much for her sake.

Deceiving him, because she has to let him think she is as thoroughly happy as he wants her to be, and as happy as she'd like to be herself, if only she honestly could.  She has to let him keep thinking he can do for her something she knows deep down he simply can't do, because no-one can. JH doesn't even come near to seeing this, and SY is determined that he never will. After all he's done and still has to do for her sake, how could she let him see that, deep down, it's all no good to her? No good, because what's been inflicted on her is too irredeemably evil to be overlaid by anything anyone could do for or with her.

But there is one character within the drama who does seem to see, or at least glimpse, this: JM. One of the most complex scenes in the drama so far is the one in the cafe where SY and JH sit side by side opposite JM, and she tells her cousin she's given in to that "devil at her ear" and decided to accept JY's proposal. She goes all girly-gooey, and JH takes that at face value. But JM, like his father, sees a whole lot but says very little unless he has to, He knows SY better than anyone else, certainly better than JH does, and he can see that this "simple happiness" isn't the whole story. That's why he flashed back to that cafe scene on the eve of the wedding and joined his mother over the soju bottle, though he couldn't share his real misgivings with her. Partly because he respects SY's wish, which he's also just recalled, that his mother shouldn't learn of SY's illness until she herself is out of the shadow of a possible recurrence of her cancer. If JM could be party to those somber musings of SY immediately before and after her wedding, JM would understand them where no-one else within the drama could.

Let me give one close-up example of the sort of thing I'm unhappy about in some of the subs, in case anyone suspects I'm being randomly pernickety.  In the subs on kimchee drama for ep 13, (which I now see were "borrowed" from DramaFever) if you look at the part with that first voiceover I just translated and try to find an equivalent of  ny "Thanks to that man, it's my role to be happy", you won't find it. The Korean is translated there as "Because of that man, I am happy." A serious mistranslation, and all the more unfortunate because no-one who doesn't hear and understand the actual Korean will be be aware of it. What she says is 그 남자 때문에 나는 행복해 한다  The presence of that 한다 at the end there, completely ignored by the subbers, converts what would otherwise indeed mean just "I am happy" into the more problematic "I /have to be / am expected to be  / am required to be / happy." Two meanings a galaxy apart. In keeping with the context of the surrounding sentences, with their "play-acting" motif, I have opted to make that into "it's my role to be happy" which some translators would find is too free, but that's always a difficult judgement call. [i would want to argue in defense of my specific choice there that I am also trying to do justice to the distinctive, but elusive contribution the so-called "topic particle" on 나는 makes towards that meaning of her having "her part" to play. But whole volumes have been written on that particle and its many-facetted uses, so I won't start down that trail here.] The essential thing is that any translation must convey, one way or another, that she most certainly IS NOT saying she IS happy, period.

And my broader point is that this scriptwriter ponders every single word she chooses, down to the finest points of speech level and grammatical nuance. Any translator who wants to show proper respect for her achievement and make at least some of it truly perceptible to non-Korean speakers has to try to do the same. There's no way that can be done with the sort of instant turnaround translation too many impatient fans have come to demand.

It's interesting to me that the two scenes you speak of, are the ones that stood out to me.  I do not understand Korean, yet I definitely picked up on that nuance,even with the flawed translations.  Thanks for clarifying these points though for those of us who appreciate an accurate rendering of dialogue.  It makes me grateful for contributors like you.  thank you!

Archived