Mean cold guy falls HARD for main girl

More dramas where the main lead is an A**, but gets his from the girl
My favorite kind of dramas are the ones that feature a cold/mean/jerky main guy who ends up really loving the main girl and not knowing how to handle/channel his feelings. Love watching these jerky heroes who never really cared about anyone come apart/lose control because of the heroine and are now at a loss -sort of getting their comeuppance. It's also best when the girl doesn't really care a wuff about him (he falls first) and we see him continuously screw up -albeit he's still mean, but just with new alien feelings. This premise makes for great tension/emotional outbursts btw leads! Here are some examples:

All about Eve

Secret Garden (this drama got me into this craze again -loved HB's obsession for HJW and watching him flounder because of his personality)

What Happened in Bali (JIS's not really cold, but he never really loved anyone before and was pretty mean/jerky to HJW in the beginning, so his crazy/explosive love for her later really tugged at my heartstrings)

Brilliant Legacy

Honorable mentions (kind of fits but not as much as the ones above): My Girl (sort of fits except the heroine sort of liked the hero early on so he didn't have trouble in that department)

You're Beautiful (Loved the hero, but wished the heroine didn't worship him so much and I hated how jerky he got towards the end)

Anymore Kdramas with this kind of premise? Esp. with main leads who went from a meanie to loving the girl desperately like the top 4 I listed. Thanks and looking forward to reading replies!

Oh yeah, another great example is "Be Strong Geum-soon:" Loved how the main guy was nasty and arrogant to the main girl, but later fell so hard for her and she was totally oblivious for the longest time. I really liked how the main girl concentrated all her energy towards her job/son instead of on snagging a guy so the cocky dude really had to work hard to win her affections. Their chemistry was hot and it was so entertaining watching their interactions -LOVED this couple! I only wished there were more scenes btw the 2 leads as this was a daily drama and the pacing tended to be slower (plus too many side character scenes), but it also gave their relationship more time to unravel. Anymore Kdramas like this?!!

Guest starrysmile

The latest drama "Lie to Me" has that premise too. It has kang ji hwan and yoon eun hye.

Thanks everyone for the recs!!! I want to see City Hall but I heard the main guy just sort of disregarded the fact that he had a fiancee when he went after the girl -I mean, the fact that he was already in a relationship wasn't really addressed in the drama when the two leads went together. I kind of prefer the lead guy to break up first before "officially" going with the main girl -more respectful to her. Anyway, was he more into her or was she just as eager -kinda prefer the girl to be less impressed with the guy like in all the dramas I listed above. I also really want to see "Lie to Me," but want to wait for it to finish airing first. Keep them coming please!!!

Watched "Bright Girl's Success" a loong time ago and found it a bit too goofy/comedic for my liking -prefer more serious toned dramas. I also didn't like how pathetic the main guy got at one point in the series. Usually I don't like watching dramas that feature the main guy going bankrupt -loses focus on the "romance" aspect and I just don't enjoy watching that kind of drama period.

Is "Country Princess" good? I've never watched it. I'm considering watching "Secret" with HJW playing an evil girl because I heard it's really good with the kind of premise I love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest lumina_louella

boys over flowers!

when Gu Jun Pyo falls for Geum Jan Di

and

You're Beautiful

when cold hearted Hwang Taek Hyung falls for Go Mi Nam...

Guest vivaciousvixen

A Millionaire's First Love. Hyun Bin's character was a total jackass at first, but he turned into a softie after falling for Lee Yeon Hee's character. :wub:

Guest mariannerebucan

Secret Garden tops my list. Kim Joo Won who claims to be the Society's Leader, is falling for a stuntwoman. An arrogant and mean guy falls for a woman who is not ideally his type.

You're Beautiful, the Ole Mean Hwang Tae Kyung falls for Go Mi Nam.

I think those 2 were the best examples

Two works featuring Goo Hye Sun:

Boys Over Flowers where one of the biggest and most arrogant a-holes of all time ('Gu Jun Pyo') is brought to his knees by indomitable 'Geum Jandi.' :P

And Pure In Heart (The best of Hye Sun's work, so far... ;) ), where "The Iceman" (like eveyone else in that particular drama ^_^ ) has his frozen heart melted by the sweetest angel who was ever sent to earth, 'Yang Gukwha'... :wub: :wub: :wub::rolleyes:

Guest graceyoon

this is an oldie but a goodie... came out around the same time as All About Eve.. not sure if you will be able to find it online but it's one of my fave dramas!

Delicious Proposal (맛있는 청혼)

It stars So Ji Sub & Son Ye Jin.. SJS plays the mean cold son since he was raised that way by his father who is a rich and famous cook.. he falls for SYJ, the daughter of his father's rival back in the day who is now poor and runs a modest chinese restaurant...

Guest karenes

Playful Kiss is another drama that is like that ^^

It had kim hyun joong in it, ahah. i'm sure most of you watched it.

Guest ms.foreigner

Pretty much all drama's are like that :/ well majority are.

The only one that I've seen where the male leads are nice is Dream High.

Honeslty, I'd like to see more dramas where the nice guy gets the girl instead of the jerk.

But here are some dramas-

Full House

Goong

And 'Heart Strings' which is currently airing.

Archived