[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

Guest C51236

SPOILERS FOR EP 20 & BEYOND (credits zealioner)

The reason why I'm reposting them here is b/c they are on the front page of her blog and she may delete it at anytime so you might not see them there later if you visit her blog. All credits to zealioner.

JUST IN: NEW GISAENG TALES SPOILERS (I’m assuming everyone wants to know. If you don’t, stop reading now.)

* Viewers expressed displeasure about the late story development into Buyonggak, seeing no association to the drama title;

* SBS spokesperson explains, original drama title is 손짓, literally translated as ‘Gestures/Signals’. The gisaeng line was never meant to be the focus, only a supporting plot. Viewers will connect easier to the story if they see it from this POV;

* While interest is on Sa-ran’s life in Buyonggak, viewers’ anxiety remains on the revelation of her birth;

* After the breakup, in addition to Grandma’s death, Da-mo and Sa-ran drift apart;

* Hwa-ja ups the pressure on her after learning about the breakup;

* (Somehow) through Saeng-gang’s recommendation, she enters Buyonggak as a gisaeng-in-training in Episode 20;

* Episode 21 & 22 will have Da-mo seeking her out at Buyonggak for a reconciliation but Sa-ran gives him the cold shoulder because she was deeply hurt.

On a side note, Im Sung-han is usually tight-lipped about spoilers. I happened to read at the board today, that a journalist was voicing her displeasure about how Im has clamped down on spoilers and disallowing actors, especially the new cast, to be interviewed. She had replied with a statement of her own, in which she has her own valid reasons. Anyway, I think all that unhappiness is working.

Wasn't Assorted Gems also previously called 손짓 / Hand Signal as well? After news broke out that Lee Si Young was a cast member, they changed the title. (Lee was also dropped from the cast following the news release). I heard that Im was super upset that Lee had released info about the drama etc.

I understand that Im may not want spoilers leaking out about the drama. But I think it's unreasonable for her to control what the new actors can and cannot do. They should be able to give interviews so that the public knows who they are. Maybe then there will be more interested in the drama and the actors as well. Like I want to know about Sung Hoon (Ah Da Mo), how'd he audition for this role, what made him get into acting, etc. Who knows? maybe the ratings will rise and writer Im wouldn't be under all this pressure.

I'm glad that Sa Ran is not going to be a full gisaeng, but one in training as it seems like the gisaeng story is only part of the story and not the whole. It'll be somewhat easier for Damo's parents to accept her if this story is not prolonged too long and she isn't a gisaeng for too long...

I think dramaok will be very happy with the last part that I put in bold. :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The distorted reflection of Da Mo's face on the knife.

I've been looking for some comments on this...

... but haven't seen any mention of it.

The focus on the distortion was deliberate.

I'm very curious about what the distortion implies.

- Is the implication about Da Mo's lies?

- Is the implication about how Da Mo is viewing himself?

- Is the implication about the society they live in?

And why is the knife used as the reflector:

- The knife has all sorts of symbolisms associated with it...

... many violent and negative.

- The knives are not supposed to be given to couples...

... being associated with the severing of relationships.

Any idea?... :):D

Thank you ahoxan for bringing up this idea about the knife. I noticed that particular scene too and the first thing came up in my mind was "the knife cut/ended this relationship". That knife really has many negative meanings. It can also serve as a mirror (like ahoxan said) for Ah Da Mo to reflect himself. It can symbolize the final cutting action which ended their relationship. And if we think again, this knife lying on a really nice dinning table where you don't usually see in ordinary meals in families. It can represent the difference in classes in the society - the biggest gap between Ah Da Mo and Dan Sa Ran. It's true that this difference parts their love story.

I cannot think about other reasons but everyone is welcomed to talk about his/her thoughts and opinions about this special symbolization.

Guest kawaiiyuki

I was reading the comments about dm holding the knife and was like 'what knife' and then i remembered his last date with SR and then knife he held after she left. it was like he 'stabbed' her in the heart.

I look forward to dm going to after sr. This time he broke his heart so she's not going to forgive him so easily and i look forward to him working on winning her back. I hope the reveal the truth of their break up soon. And i think the only way he has some hope in winning her back is if he tells her way they broke up in the first place. Not saying she'll forgive him that easily but it will help her understand why and not because of what he told her as the initial reason.

Guest TheBunnyDoll

I ADORE this drama! If anyone knows any other drama similar to it, please tell me >.<! I find that I enjoy female leads who are smart and aren't the typical sweet-but-dumb (my whole list of dramas is made of up those ;( sometimes there are exceptions though..) and I really liked how their relationship started early rather than dragging on and having each other despise each other and stuff in the beginning...because, come on, does hating each other have to be the blue print for every drama out there???? x_x I just like it when they get along and are all cute blush.gif I also like the family drama and all the funny random moments between the granny and the grandpa :)

Guest mhugh

I ADORE this drama! If anyone knows any other drama similar to it, please tell me >.<! I find that I enjoy female leads who are smart and aren't the typical sweet-but-dumb (my whole list of dramas is made of up those ;( sometimes there are exceptions though..) and I really liked how their relationship started early rather than dragging on and having each other despise each other and stuff in the beginning...because, come on, does hating each other have to be the blue print for every drama out there???? x_x I just like it when they get along and are all cute blush.gif I also like the family drama and all the funny random moments between the granny and the grandpa :)

I agree with every point you've made, especially the part about why they can't just get along and have feel-good moments all the time, but I guess it wouldn't be called a drama and we wouldn't appreciate the good moments otherwise. I would love to have a writer out there somewhere in the Kdrama world who's not afraid to give us a good drama filled with feel-good moments with very little angst and see if there are any takers. I would stand in line for such drama. But like Sa-ran said, I'm sure I'm dreaming. :)

Guest songssiissii

does anyone know if they're gonna come out with an OST cd??

i really want one of the piano songs from the drama...=(

Guest relly

Hi Everyone,

New Tales of Gisaeng Episode 16 English Soft-Sub Subtitle is out.

dsbanner.jpg

New Tales of Gisaeng 1-16 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/298-new-tales-of-gisaeng-2011-episode-1-16/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Guest Trina987

well after reading about what is going to happen to the storyline.. I would rather see her as a full gisaeng.... I think it will be a better storyline as I wonder what Ah Da Mo will do to win her back.. As for Writer Im, I do not blame her at all. I think that she makes a right choice as she probably do not want any influence of what she wrote and that also she do not want netizens to get the spoilers leaked out... As for the actors/actress, I like that it is new and we do not know anything about them.. I like a mystery once in a while... So, I will still go with the flow with this drama and see what writer Im has store in for us....

Guest mcnat63

Hi, its my first time to post here, just to let you know guys episode 15 & 16 is up on kinchidrama with english sub.

Hi everybody - I think I found another good drama to follow - that one was 50 eps. so this one is another 50 eps - that's okay. I am only up to ep. 10 so I am still catching up on the characters and the plots. Please excuse me if I come back here and ask a lot of silly questions-so bear with me on this one.

There is one question if anyone wants to answer for me - the sister-in-laws/brother-in-laws that keep coming over (other then to check up on their real daughter). Why??? One time SIL came to ask the father for money to buy a building - is this correct? Like I was writing, there are parts that are very confusing.

Anyway, going back to watch ep. 11. :blink:

A knife is certainly to cut something. Perhaps, it is SR & DM's relationship. Or, as she did in "Assorted Gems", Writer Im is building DM's separation from his family, i.e., the cutting of the umbilical cord.

As of now, DM is jobless and totally dependent on his father for everything. Knowing that SR will not be accepted by his parents, perhaps, DM is thinking that the only way he can marry the woman of his choice is to become a self-made man. :unsure:

And, this ties in with her other theme of the individual, and not the parents, determining their marriage partner.

Just like in AG where the male lead character broke up with the female lead character because he didn't want to saddle her with the burden of his mother's illness, Writer Im may have DM breaking up the relationship because he doesn't feel right in asking SR to wait for him. In case, he doesn't succeed on his own.

What I noticed interesting are the female-male relationship styles between each couple.

DM's mother is totally obedient and a servant to DM's father. Even when he says ridiculous things, she never disagrees. There's no overt affection demonstrated between them. There is no share interest between them. He orders, she complies.

SR's step-mother is a total confidence booster for her husband. She uses 'honey' words to make him feel good, so that he never disagrees with her. They're both lovey-dovey to each other.

RR's bio mother leads and directs the father. But, they both act lovey-dovey with each other and have similar interests.

RR's adopted mother tries to communicate with the father. But, she is usually rebuffed. So, she retaliates in subtle ways. They show no overt affection towards each other.

SR is both direct and indirect with DM. Depending on the circumstance, she can be very definitive and speaks her mind. Other times, she is like a teacher/counselor and uses words to advise.

So, is Writer Im trying to teach us how to deal with each other in a couples' relationship?

Guest dramaok

Tale of Gisaeng has been crowned leader in Makjang (trainwreck) drama among all network dramas.

it received 76 points on a 100 point scale. 100 being has makjang as it can be.

it got 5 stars in: birth secret, wacky contrived plot, and substandard dialogue.

it got 4 stars in: explicit showing of affection

but it got no stars in: affair/illicit affair

htm20110318125653c000c0.jpg

it really cracks me up how the reporters love to put Im's dramas down.

from the getgo they were waiting for every opportunity to make fun of it.

Im must have some enemies in the press world. i guess in a way she brought it upon herself too,

but gotta give her nod for her guts to say what she wants.

for complete list of the makjang index: http://isplus.joinsmsn.com/article/794/5213794.html?cloc=

Hi everybody - I think I found another good drama to follow - that one was 50 eps. so this one is another 50 eps - that's okay. I am only up to ep. 10 so I am still catching up on the characters and the plots. Please excuse me if I come back here and ask a lot of silly questions-so bear with me on this one.

There is one question if anyone wants to answer for me - the sister-in-laws/brother-in-laws that keep coming over (other then to check up on their real daughter). Why??? One time SIL came to ask the father for money to buy a building - is this correct? Like I was writing, there are parts that are very confusing.

Anyway, going back to watch ep. 11. :blink:

they just come because it's kind of expected. son and daughter in law paying visit to parents.

but really, it's to flatter them and to remind them they exist, therefore don't forget the $$ for them.

and yes they really want a building. soon you will see her cry buckets of fake tear to get her building.

Guest revengeoftheflowers

I would agree she is a makjang writer, but she blends these "makjang scenes" with everyday normal life and activities, which make these "makjang" scenes more realistic and exciting than other dramas. Also, substandard dialogue? I think not. Her dialogue is one of the many shining points of her writing. I think she appeals to more of a savvy, cultured, and sophisticated viewer, but her plot is over the top and trainwreck-like.

For me, she embodies both of my favorite styles: luxurious & trashy. Hence, she's my favorite drama writer.

Guest kawaiiyuki

Kinda like writer Im writing- it's a mix of things. I love her fantasy sences cause they're the kind that we have but aren't likely to say anything. Makes her characters more real. Like SR's sister dream about using SJ's abs as a washboard. I mean secretly won't the females on here in the forum secretly want to do that do a guy with abs like that? blush.gif I mean i would.

I'm liking the idea that if dm broke up with sr is to be a better man. A man who can stand on his own two feet i won't mind.

Guest kawaiiyuki

@ semifly!

Thanks for the screen caps. I've been kinda avoiding the forum cause of the upcoming angst. I wonder what's going to make dm come to his senses?

Guest kimheami

you know surprisingly more and more drama screenwriters are going for main characters that are not perfect. Especially with the guy character. We got it from Secret Garden with HyunBin's character too. He knows his position and trys to not fall in too deep and is pretty much an a** to the girl to not get too attached but then still ends up falling head over heels. It is truly so much more realistic. I mean it isn't easy to throw away everything that you have grown up with and know for a girl that you just met. Also I know that some people are upset with how writer Im is not giving out spoilers but honestly I think she has the right idea. I know i have stopped watching a drama when i found out ahead of time that something happens in the plot that makes me stop having interest.

Also despite people saying that there is no correlation of buyongak to the storyline if Saran doesn't become a gisaeng is i think isn't really true. The title is NEW tales of gisaeng so i think you can interpret that as saying that all women should have some wisdom in the etiquettes that the gisaeng stand for. Such as Saran being able to captivate Damo and change him. I hope though that she doesn't become a real gisaeng because then it does become unrealistic for her to marry into a family like Damo's.

Archived