[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alexus

I hope Rara has a happy ending. She's actually quite innocent and adorable sometimes. As for Saran, I think the reason why she might have to enter the Gisaenge might have something to do with her family right now. Maybe they need a huge amount of money or something. I just don't see her break-up with Damo as a big enough catalyst to push her to enter the Gisaenge.

I agree with you. If that was the only reason, I would not be impressed with the drama. I think it might be a small part of the reason but there has to be a life altering situation for her to enter.

Could one of the reason be that she finds out that her father is not her biological dad? That would be a major shocker. She then would lose all faith in men, plus her family for lying to her. She would feel completely alone and losing all faith in the world around her. She has been living a lie. She would feel the world had abandoned her at birth. She would want to hide away from the world and create her own world within the walls of the Gisaeng house just like her mother did. Hence history repeating it self again. SR would be a Gisaeng and not the kitchen staff being sheltered just like her mother was. It would also give the two woman (SR and biological mother) the chance to create a bond prior to finding out their maternal relationship. This way it will really heighten the joy of their reunion when they finally find the truth. Just my opinion. I could be totally barking up the wrong tree though.

Guest revengeoftheflowers

Hahahaha, I love how everyone here is SO CONFUSED! I don't know if this is the best writing from ISH, but it sure has people talking and speculating! All this guessing is fun.

Guest dramaok

the scene where Saran was in a taxi after leaving the restaurant, was she trying to delete Damo's phone number in her cell phone but decided against it?

she did delete it.

before:

"samonim" is under "S [사]" category. below "R [라]" for rara, and above "A [아]" for Ah-mi.

e16110313hdtvxvidbarosa.jpg

after:

no more "S" category. straight from R to A [라 to 아].

Everyone seem to be shocked at the break-up.

I'm surprised too!

... mostly because it seems to be a departure from writer Im's previous MO.

I don't have any real insight from a male perspective.

This post is almost pure speculation about writer Im's intentions.

The basis for the speculations are mostly hints from the characters' intentions.

The hints were from mood music and cinematographic techniques used... not the actors' performances.

While in Hong Kong...

... Da Mo found out something about his family and his place in it.

I think he overheard something between grandmother and great-aunt.

I think it's something he can't protect Sa Ran from...

I think it's also the reason why grandmother became pro-active in getting him married.

I think it's something only grandmother's generation knew about...

So Da Mo's parents probably have no idea that a secret even exists...

Very wild speculation that it's Da Mo's father's birth secret...

I think Da Mo went to Japan because he needed to ponder over the matter away from his family.

I think Da Mo was mourning the passing of his innocent youth...

I think Da Mo was mourning the passing of his relationship with Sa Ran...

I think Da Mo was envisioning Sa Ran's emotional intimacy he desires, not physical intimacy.

I think Da Mo lied to Sa Ran about his reasons... to protect her...

Thanks Ahoxan! That seems to make sense cause, the way he abruptly decided to end the relationship and his reasoning behind it just did not add up to me :huh: And I think Sa-ran gave up too easily on their relationship -_- I mean couldn't she read his body language (poor dude couldn't even look her in the eye, something out of character for him). What guy with that much pride as he claims in his explanation for the break up (thanks dramaok and Q_Park for the translation) would be willing to get down on his knees and apologize like he almost did in Ep 5!! :blink: I'm just saying :phew:

Guest kawaiiyuki

Well in kdrama land it is often that the guy / girl pushes the person away by saying hurtful things. In order to protect them from whatever he/she does not want the boyfriend/girlfriend to know. In this case dm said cause sr won't give him the physically contact he wanted. But we all know he ended up not caring about that really enjoyed being with sr. I think what is getting us all confused is the fact that we don't know why dm wants to end the relationship. I also agreewith people who think that it has something to do with his trip to Hong Kong. And it took place right after his game of catch with her. Something must have happened between the game of catch and eatting sharkfin cause dm was all moody and even wanted to kiss her. (maybe he wanted at least one kiss before they broke up)

Dm's grandmother also was in deep thought in one scene so it looks like she was hoping to put sr and dm together. She also knows something but now that she's gone it looks like we won't know and dm isn't likely going to tell.

Also think that the death of rr's grandparents means that they're going to take their theory of sr being their missing granddaughter with them.

Also think that with dm breaking up with sr and when the dance troop does not except her she will take the job at the giaseng house. There is nothing stopping her now. She doesn't have to worry about what dm's parents might think and to mend her heart she might decide that leaving her home would get her to forget about dm.

Would cute dr go after sr? I don't think so because after finding out sr isn't from a rich family he 'disappear' so he does really have any interest in her or he just knows his mother would not approve therefore thought it was best not to waste their time. I think he's going to fall for rr and be a love interest for her.

Is rr going to try to snatch dm from sr out of spite? I don't think she likes him anymore but just doesn't like the fact that sr and dm were dating. She is the 'ideal' g/f and has a better family b/g therefore she thought that dm would like her. (She liked him and found him attractive in the begining) so i can see her trying to break the couple up. Don't think she'll have any problems with breaking them up since dm ended their relationship but i have a feeling we'll be going back to old 'playboy' dm. Or we might get zombie dm-dm without a heart who is just going through the motions of work and life wakeup go to work and then go to bed. And since he doesn't care about what happens to himself if his father wants him to date/get engaged or married to rr (since dad likes her) he'll do it because as long sr is safe from whatever secret he hidding he doesn't care who the other woman is.

hi all

on SaRan

Gosh, she's a motherless child in Paradise Ranch but she sure has alot of them in this drama.

SaRan is a sincere and quiet girl, lonesome since her mum passed away 5 years ago. She keeps her feelings to herself. She's not close to her dad, much less the step-mum and step-sister. Her materialistic step-mum doesn't care much for her (eg. GJ's good at swimming & is taking horse-riding lessons, but not her). She has a bunch of rich friends with whom she's not comfortable with, but still hangs out with because of her dance lessons. Especially the self-centered Geum RaRa who is very jealous of her beauty and who keeps on insulting her intentionally, be it in her face or behind her back fury.gif So why/how should she own up that she is seeing Damo? Bragging is not her style. Furthermore what's there to brag about a 'contractual' relationship with an understanding that marriage is the last thing on their mind?

on Damo

He is feeling insecure.

He cut short his HK trip because he misses Saran, he kept calling her but her handphone was off, (will you off your handphone to read a book if you misses someone and hopes to hear from him?). The minute she returned his call, he expressed he misses her.

Due to other committments, she's unable to spend as much time with him as he would like to. This happened thrice, first time due to his grandma, 2nd due to her dance practice and 3rd time due to RaRa's grandparent.

At the theatre, he intentionally arrange to sit between the grandma and her so that he can hold her hand but she kept pushing it away. She admits to missing him yet she's not willing to make arrangement to spend more time with him.

He took her for a sharkfin dinner upon noticing her interest in HK cuisine, promising to buy her the pricey dinner again on her birthday, but her reply was - 'Will we still be seeing each other then?'

By the way, in homes of the better-offs, birdnest are kept in pitcher in the fridge like lemonades, served daily on the beliefs to achieve a translucent complexion. And despite all the uproar about ruthless killing of shark for their fins, it still top the list on Chef's Recomm in many restaurants that serve it. The loose fins are even served in dumplings as tim-sum.

In today's affluent society, these cuisines are no longer rarities, and consumers are no fools - else how to account for the survival of so many chinese medical halls?

Back on Damo - Mentally, he didn't believe in love, he couldn't understand why/how it can deduce one into a bundle of nerves, but there's no denying that he's haunted by her 'small face'.

Physically, his urge to 'possess' her is getting out of control. He need to put distance between them in order for him to think clearly.

He concludes that SaRan's feelings for him is not as strong as his for her, he detest the idea of been held at her mercy. All along he visualised a family where the wife (like his mum) loves the husband selflessly and how he, as the husband, will return that love by showing appreciation, unlike his dad who is cold and unfeeling, but here he sees himself falling deeper for SaRan and he's afraid that the role will be reverse and that he will become the 'weakling', sucumbing to SaRan's wimp and fancy. Hence his first instinct is to break up and run away.

On the Gisaengs - whether sex is involve or not, they exist for ONE purpose - and that is for the pleasures of the male species. Hence, the bad reputation.

SaRan turned down the invitation (in the 1st ep) for fears of 'giving wrong impression' to others

SaRan's parents are ashamed to let the girls know that the mum is working at the Gisaeng, even though she's just working there as a kitchen helper.

RaRa's mum wants to sell the place away to avoid any association with it.

The fact that SaRan's mum works there is the last straw for Damo's parents.

Therefore it's a BIG NO NO for SaRan to take this path, but if that is inevitable, then I'll like to see how Writer Im plots to clear the threshold of this taboo.

As for DM doing a 180 degree on SR, I wonder if there are complications in their family business.  And, the only solution is for DM to have wealthy in-laws that can help salvage their family business.  :unsure:

Aww, it's too bad that the story is killing off the grandparents. The grandparents are the anchors of this drama.  They make the drama so much more interesting because they are the counter-foils to the parents.  Beside the fact that all the grandparents' acting is so good and solid.  :(

Guest dramaok

it occurred to me this morning that it could be possible that Geum Kang San could be Sohn Ja's father.

in yesterday's episode there was a scene where he was just thinking at night looking rather troubled.

it reminded me about the previous time he was about to call a PI service to look for a woman.

i wonder if they are related and if that's related to Sohn Ja.

i hope Saran doesn't get in Damo's car next week. from the preview he goes and asks her to get in saying he wanted to talk to her, but he really needs to suffer a little for toying around with Saran's dignity, the only thing she has to fend for.

e16110313hdtvxvidbarosa.jpge16110313hdtvxvidbarosa.jpg

"get in. i have something to tell you"

and it looks like Hyo Ri is gonna tell Ra Ra about the birth secret afterall. with Grandpa Geum gone she got no one to buy her a building so she wants Ra Ra to buy it or something?

e16110313hdtvxvidbarosa.jpge16110313hdtvxvidbarosa.jpg

"this could traumatize you but the one who gave birth to you is not your mom"

i dun know why but rara's birth mom kind of reminds me of gyun miri although the latter is prettier of course.

interesting. at first i thought that kang san knew about his brother's woman hence he was trying to track that woman down. but then it never came up again so i totally forgot about him looking for someone. lol.

i'm going to miss grandpa geum. :(

Guest revengeoftheflowers

AHHHH!!! That totally makes sense with Sohn Jah, which would make him Ra Ra's brother and Sa Ran's cousin...! Or ew....if Damo ends up being the mystery son, I'm throwing my hands up on this drama.

The only reason I can see this happening is because Sohn Jah and Sa Ran have very similar personalities, and Ra Ra seemed to take an immediate liking to Sohn Jah, which Koreans believe you are drawn to your blood.

Guest Trina987

After watching both episodes fully sub.... hrmm... okay, I seriously doubt that the uncle is thinking about SJ.... I think it is about RR due to that it is his daughter... I think after he thinking about it as show on episode 16... He will make a decision to tell her the truth about her paternity... I think he will tell his wife and they both tell RR about as the preview show it.... I am not sure about the RR grandmother died too but it seem to be RR grandfather... It is shame and pity as I like all the grandparents.. They are really great and love their conversations and really great acting too.. I do hope RR's grandmother will not be kill off yet....... As for SR, well I still think that I do not like her as she is still telling LIES... The break up is sad but heck... she is the one always being secretive and telling LIES to everyone... Also, she telling the truth is after she LIES.... :blink: So, I do not feel bad that they break up... As for Ah Da Mo, i think that he break up as he want a sexual relationship with SR but she does not put out... Why can not he just enjoy what they have now... Also, that does not make sense why she is dreaming about her marriage to Ah Da Mo when they do not even kiss yet... Oh wait, that is just happen like in AG.... However, at least in AG they are being truthful to each other of all the couples except the spoiled brats which I soo do not like in AG... Now, back to Ah Da Mo's grandmother that is really sad that she pass away.. But, it is unfortunate if she found out the truth about SR.. I think she will definitely disapprove of SR... Well, I do wonder when will RR turn really evil to SR.. I hope we will soon see SR become gisaeng soon as we are almost halfway into the dramas..... Please please writer Im... Please tried to pick up the pace so we will SR becoem a gisaeng and hopefully she change her attitudes.....

it occurred to me this morning that it could be possible that Geum Kang San could be Sohn Ja's father.

in yesterday's episode there was a scene where he was just thinking at night looking rather troubled.

it reminded me about the previous time he was about to call a PI service to look for a woman.

i wonder if they are related and if that's related to Sohn Ja.

*quoted image*

It never occurred to me before, but this makes sense.

It would totally fit writer Im's style of tying all the initial characters in some relationship.

It'd be a fun development if writer Im decides to expand on it.

Geum Kang San having a secret second phone suggested it was intended to be a big plot-line.

... I kept expecting something from it, but expectations fizzled after so long.

Geum Kang San's late night reflections raised questions for me too.

... I was wondering if it was because of his father's health.

... I was wondering if it was related to that secret phone & search.

Son Ja & Sa Ran being cousins would be fun.

Gong Joo's fantasy/dream of using Son Ja's washboard abs as her personal washboard is fun. :):D

It'd be totally like writer Im to include this multiple plot-lines of multiple in-law complications. LOL

Han Hye Rin was so cute this week.

Ra Ra was bratty and insufferable.

I still see two different views for the actress and for the character she plays. :):D

Da Mo's father, chairman Ah...

Does not seem to be someone who keeps his vows.

It seems like he'll either disregard his vow to the heavens...

... or try to be a stickler for the "conditions" he set on his vows. :):D

The best at evoking my emotions are Geum Eo San and Han Soon Duk.

... probably because Han Jin Hee and Kim Hye Sun are my favorite performers in this drama.

I'm looking forward to the portion of the drama where Eo San & Soon Duk closely interact with Sa Ran.

Kim Hye Sun is so great at portraying maternal love.

Her movements are also fluid and graceful.

I regret that her role is lame... so I can't even hope of seeing her dancing. :| :tears: boo hoo hoo...

i hope Saran doesn't get in Damo's car next week. from the preview he goes and asks her to get in saying he wanted to talk to her, but he really needs to suffer a little for toying around with Saran's dignity, the only thing she has to fend for.

*quoted image**quoted image*

"get in. i have something to tell you"

My suspicion: FANTASY SEQUENCE

and it looks like Hyo Ri is gonna tell Ra Ra about the birth secret afterall. with Grandpa Geum gone she got no one to buy her a building so she wants Ra Ra to buy it or something?

*quoted image**quoted image*

"this could traumatize you but the one who gave birth to you is not your mom"

My suspicion: FANTASY SEQUENCE

Guest Trina987

:lol: Why is there is a negative about my comments... I just do not like SR to lies to everybody... As I mention, before, that is one of my pet peeve.... Da Mo parent now know the truth... If Ah Da Mo's grandmother it will be a different story.. However, we now do not know as she died in her sleep... therefore, I am looking forward to next episode as some secrets will be reveal... -_-

:lol: Why is there is a negative about my comments... I just do not like SR to lies to everybody... As I mention, before, that is one of my pet peeve.... Da Mo parent now know the truth... If Ah Da Mo's grandmother it will be a different story.. However, we now do not know as she died in her sleep... therefore, I am looking forward to next episode as some secrets will be reveal... -_-

Dongsaeng,

My guess is that the "-" marks were for disagreements.

I don't think disagreements should merit the "-" marks.

SOOMPI etiquette:

"-": for rule breaking only!

Rule breaking:

- terse short comments

- adds

- objectionable material

For disagreements, options are...

- reply with alternative viewpoints

- ignore

For factual error, options are...

- reply with corrections

- ignore

Unfortunately...

... SOOMPI doesn't have a standard marker merely for stating disagreements. :(

Guest kawaiiyuki

In the preview when DM asks SR to get in the car i don't think (if it's not a fantasy scene) he's going to toy with her head. He already did that when he break up with her saying cause she wouldn't sleep with him. But it could be about his grandmother or just thanking her for showing up. He broke up with her for a reason and i don't think hurting her even more would have any effect cause she understood what he meant.

It also could be a fantasy scene cause he's already told her all he wants. The likelyhood of him tell her the truth behind their breakup i fear won't be till we're likke in episode 30 or so.

Guest alexus

Yes, though you try to feel okay about it, it can get very hurtful when you do see those negative votes. I remember being on a thread and there were ridiculous amount of negative votes on a posting by a close friend but only a couple of comments to really explain the reason behind it. I agree with ahoxan. IT is insensitive to just put a negative vote just because one disagrees. If you put a negative vote then you should have the courtesy to explain the reason behind it. The click of the mouse is too easy when the poster's feelings may be hurt no matter how strong of a person they maybe. On the whole I hope we are on this thread to share ideas and thoughts about the drama we are enjoying together. If you don't like a comment just move on as long as it doesn't break the soompi eiquette as ahoxan has mentioned. This thread seems so mature and knowlegable with lots of thought provoking posts to ponder on. Hope my judgement was right. My apologies in advance if I am offending anyone. I guess I should be prepared myself for the worst as well? :sweatingbullets:

Guest dramaok

anyone know what else has lots of collagen? everyone obessed with them in the drama and i think i should eat more stuff w/ collagen too but the ones they mention in the drama (pork rinds, shark fin, swallow nest, chicken wing) are stuff i don't eat since im' vegetarian.

also, the grandma met with a mr. hwang for some 침향 (aloeswood). anyone know what that is for? i find it weird that she cancelled her grandson's b-day dinner and appt w saran over some wood.

---

yeah Han Hye Rin was excellent with her drunk commotion. she was actually amusing and charming. and i enjoyed her scene with sohn ja and gongjoo. she calls gongjoo "gangster kiddo" lol. Ra Ra does have some character flaws (thoughtless, self-centered, immature and judgmental, etc), but I like her personality for the most part (not the violent part). I think she is quite the tomboy actually who can get over things with a jug of beer or a round of punches. i prefer this kind of friends who don't hold grudges too long. hopefully her character stays consistent.

Ah Soo Ra is really befitting of his nickname. the count (baron) in the comic series. he really has dual personalities, one very feminine and one very manly, not in a good way.

Yes, though you try to feel okay about it, it can get very hurtful when you do see those negative votes. I remember being on a thread and there were ridiculous amount of negative votes on a posting by a close friend but only a couple of comments to really explain the reason behind it. I agree with ahoxan. IT is insensitive to just put a negative vote just because one disagrees. If you put a negative vote then you should have the courtesy to explain the reason behind it. The click of the mouse is too easy when the poster's feelings may be hurt no matter how strong of a person they maybe. On the whole I hope we are on this thread to share ideas and thoughts about the drama we are enjoying together. If you don't like a comment just move on as long as it doesn't break the soompi eiquette as ahoxan has mentioned. This thread seems so mature and knowlegable with lots of thought provoking posts to ponder on. Hope my judgement was right. My apologies in advance if I am offending anyone. I guess I should be prepared myself for the worst as well? :sweatingbullets:

heehee i don't usually pay attention to the reputation marks (it's soooo highschool, yo!) but you are right so i quoted you and gave you a + :w00t:

i hope ppl don't hide behind the negative marks and actually post instead to contribute in a positive way.

DRAMA ADDICTS UNITE!

-----------

20110315130015854608857.jpg

was anyone offended by the scene above ^

i kinda thought it was really random and childish, but funny too.

but apparently some viewers were disgusted and said it was close to sexual harrassment.

source

Guest dramaok

ack i can't add these to my previous post. the soompi bug is chopping my post. but here are recent photos of Han Hye Rin. doesn't she remind you of Song Hye Gyo a little?

20110314011861.jpg

20110314011860.jpg

20110314011862.jpg

for the magazine 쎄씨 CeCi (March 2011 edition)

Archived