[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

I think that would be a little disturbing if that was in fact the case. Da M and Sa Ran's fantasies are tolerable since it's meant to represent a sense of longing/some need to fulfill something the other is apparently missing but honestly I think most people would agree that if your mother/step-mother fantasized about their children making out/having intercourse most would say that person is just plain sick in the head.

I still find it a bit creepy that Sa Ran's step-mother is stooping to such levels as to watch her step-daughter like this. I really wish they'd abandon such elements in drama. I know it's only right/normal for a parent to wish their children have a better life/easier life than they had but to force/manipulate them into such a life is just silly it normally leads to a miserable life full of hatred for their partner if not adultery.

^What makes it worse is that it's pretty clear Ji Hwa Ja isn't doing this out of any kind of love for her step-daughter; she's just interested in using Sa Ran as a way to bring their family up in the world. She's been trying to push Gong Joo to marry a rich man too, for the same reasons (e.g. insisting she go horse-riding to meet rich boys), but she's even more obvious with Sa Ran. Remember when Ji Hwa Ja realized how much the gisaeng at Buyonggak could be earning and instantly thought of Sa Ran. The only thing that stopped her from going any further with the idea was Sa Ran's dad's disapproval.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if that fantasy of Sa Ran/Da Mo in a hotel bedroom would be hers; she'd be over the moon if Sa Ran's hooked Da Mo, and I don't think she cares what method Sa Ran uses. It's interesting that the voiceover in the preview during that scene is of the P.I. reporting to someone (presumably Ji Hwa Ja) that Sa Ran and Da Mo are clearly dating and getting married is only a matter of time.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahoxan ... thanks for the e-subs!!! :wub:

thanks for this summary as i wait for my esp 10 dl~! this writer did OH heaven right> the cheesy and romance between the leads has the same feel ..SR is really so beautiful

there will be alot of heartache waiting..at how the story going to go

making of

source sbs

My link

shirleyyyy .... you're watching this too? w00t.gif i just started this a few days ago. watched all 10 episodes in 2 days. vicx.gif and of course now i regreted starting on this because now i have  to join the waiting game for 2 episodes per week. :ph34r: LOL at the cheesy and romance part. :lol:

Writer Im always does write the wackiest & cutest old characters in  her drama. I like the grandparents. They are just hilarious and just oh  so cute together. Her male lead is always some rich chaebol son though.  I don't remember any of her male lead being poor. There's always a cute  dog or two thrown in and they are never just there as decorations and get mentioned/shown a lot in her storyplot. .Birth  secrets or illegitimate child is always a must. and she always have very unique and interesting character names to boot.

Saran's birth parents had similar roles of having love child and not getting together  in writer Im's previous drama with Lee Da Hae as the illegitimate daughter if my memory serves me right ... the mudang drama. Baby was left on some doorsteps as well. :ph34r:

Guest kawaiiyuki

I love Rara's grandparents. I love how grandfather changed for the better thanks to the old age. :P

I love the fact that even after rr's father told them about the child at the doorstep being his they wanted to find it. It shows that they're the type to ignore their mistakes and infact going to fix it by trying to find the child.

Man, if SR is RR's dad child is she first going to throw and fit and then act all subborn and deny it. When Sr and DM finally admit to 'falling in love with each other' is rr going to be pissed. I can see her ploting to break them up.

Guest kawaiiyuki

ah i can't wait for this weekend. :D

Anyway does anyone find it strange that sr's step mom seems to only want her own daughter to hook a rich guy-out loud. From her motives we know that she wants Sr to do the same thing hance, the stalking but she got really made when 'gloomy boy' went with her daughter the stables.Then goes and hits her and threaten her about bringing gloomly boy next time to the stables. At the same time she just stalks SR and SD.

Why is she only voicing her opinon with biological daugter and not sr? Is she scared of upsetting Sr who doesn't seem to really care what she thinks.

Step-mom is the total opposite of the usual step mothers who favor their own kid over the step-child. she favoras sr over her own. :phew::blink::unsure:

Guest dramaok

in ep. 9, Damo and Saran are at the hair salon with Damo getting a haircut and he mouths something to her and she mouths back and they laugh. anyone catch what they were mouthing? i can't really figure it out.

The ending theme is sung by Kim Shin Ah, which I hope they release soon. Kim sang for the drama God of Study also. But there are so many version of the ending theme though, like every other 2 episodes, its a different singer with different beat. Anyways, I rip the song from the video. Enjoy.

Link: Megaupload

thx!

Guest kawaiiyuki

Sa Ran's prospect for "landing" a rich guy is far greater than Hwa Ja's daughter. She's well educated, is very attractive, and is apparently friends with all the right people. If Hwa Ja ever wanted to live above her current station/status, she knows that only Sa Ran can make that happen.

What gets me about Hwa Ja and "Mr. Gloomy" is that she was encouraging Gong Joo to be a friend to him (granted this was after his grandmother passed away), they even wanted to take him in for a time but it seems as soon as Gong Joo insisted on the friend he needed Hwa Ja became the typical cautious/complaining/scheming [KDrama] Korean mother and thus the vicious cycle of who Gong Joo should associate with/marry came full circle.

Totally see 'mr. gloomy' becoming hwa ja's future Son in Law (was going to type SIL but thoug some people might take it as sister in law. :P ) so far the set up has been gong joo and mr gloomy. they even said they intend to marry but only the two of them know about that little detail.

love the characters at the giaseng house, especially the two guy working there. (Sorry i really need to get those names. so i can start using them here-anyway you know the one that sings and the other guy that fixes stuff and said to be a peeping tom) Love the fact that they're fighting over head giaseng- making coffee and resetting people's cell phone alarms :P too bad she has her heart set on rr's dad who happens to still be in love with head chef.

Oh yeah so i was rewatching the episodes and what i really don't get was why in episode one we had to flashback to gong joo chasing after 'peeping tom' (or was he sleep walking? think they mention him having to sleep walk so something)does that scene mean anything?

I'm sooo in love with this kdrama!

Actually, this is first time, when they showed us in youth kdrama that premarried sex is existing in Korea xD (ep. 5).

I like the pace of kdrama, yes it's a bit slow, but I wanted to watch what I am watching now long time ago: couple in love usually talks, going on a dates, fights and etc. Usually there is no so much time and love relationtips are very hectic in kdramas. But relationships here just right.

And I like actors and actresses. I don't think that main lead are dead xD. He just keep all inside. It's funny but he very lively when he talks with himself and in quarells with his father xD. And when he talks to his mother and gradmom xD. He is natural and bcs it's his debut I forgave him. He is good for newbey.

So I'm addicted. And really don't know why this kdrama not so popular...

And sorry for my English, I'm russian xD>.

Guest omfgnicole

I'm interested in starting on this drama. Hmm.. I don't want to spoil myself so I'm avoiding reading posts, but I'm wondering how all you guys like it. lol

Not familiar with any of the actors/actresses and I've never watched a 50ep drama before. I think I'll watch a couple ep and see how I like it so I can join in on the discussion!

and I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this.. sorry in advance!

in ep. 9, Damo and Saran are at the hair salon with Damo getting a haircut and he mouths something to her and she mouths back and they laugh. anyone catch what they were mouthing? i can't really figure it out.

thx!

dramaok, Da-mo asks Sa-ran if she would like to go and see a movie. At first she didn't get it, so he slows it down for her, and she mouths back, "(A) movie?" to which he nods yes.

thx!

dramaok, Da-mo asks Sa-ran if she would like to go and see a movie. At first she didn't get it, so he slows it down for her, and she mouths back, "(A) movie?" to which he nods yes.

WOW!... I actually figured out something dramaok didn't see already. :):D:o LOL

... if only from the context. :)

If not from context... I might have imagined:

DM: You see yourself as a "fox"?

SR: A Fox?

DM: ... nods yes ...

LOL...

Guest kawaiiyuki

WOW!... I actually figured out something dramaok didn't see already. :):D:o LOL

... if only from the context. :)

If not from context... I might have imagined:

DM: You see yourself as a "fox"?

SR: A Fox?

DM: ... nods yes ...

LOL...

DM in 'daydream' mode, maybe? But if SR did think he said fox shouldn't she say at the theater "What are we doing here? I thought you asked me if i was fox?" HAHA :P

Guest dramaok

duh. that was obvious huh? thx michael i'm kinda slow. good to have you and anthony in here giving us the male point of view on things. this is the first time in a Im drama where the male lead is not so idealized and i'm very confused about Damo. sometimes I think he's such a sweetie-in-training but other times i think he's just a big oh richard simmons that needs a big o spanking. and then saran too. sometimes she's goofy and cute but sometimes she can come off as quite 2-faced.

anyways i'm confused but i do like the drama. the awkward acting is fine now. i'm warmed up to all the characters. i even love mr. ginger the old fart and ms. noh who doesn't give a crap about anything except her crush on bacon oppa from assorted gem. ^^

The individual MU links for the softsubs...

SSSNTOTG.E09.X264.720p-HANrel.ViKi.98%.srt

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NJ8KLP2Y

Thanks very much for the subs!

Just wondering though, at 57secs into episode 9, after Da-Mo asks Sa Ran whether she likes BBQ, there is <--- Empty ---> in the subs. Is that the 2% that's not yet complete or is that supposed to mean something?

Keep up the good work, I'm really enjoying this series despite having never seen a k-drama with more than 24 episodes b4. There's just something about the story and the characters that's really drawn me in. I guess it also helps that the two leading ladies are absolutely beautiful :D

Guest kawaiiyuki

Thanks very much for the subs!

Just wondering though, at 57secs into episode 9, after Da-Mo asks Sa Ran whether she likes BBQ, there is <--- Empty ---> in the subs. Is that the 2% that's not yet complete or is that supposed to mean something?

Keep up the good work, I'm really enjoying this series despite having never seen a k-drama with more than 24 episodes b4. There's just something about the story and the characters that's really drawn me in. I guess it also helps that the two leading ladies are absolutely beautiful :D

When there is a <--empty---> it means they haven't translated it. They left it there to let themself know what is felt. there is only a few %% left for episode 9 and 10 and what's left doesn't seem too important, judging from how the actors are acting. I mean you can always put in your own dialog. :P

@ DramaokI know what you mean about DM and SR they are so confusing to watch sometimes because their characters don't seem to be set. They act one way one minute and then another way five minutes later. Hopefully we'll know their true intent soon. But i like that just like SR and DM who doesn't really understand each other but will later on, and we just happen to be taging along!!! :P

Currently SR's step mom is starting to annoy me and RR's mom and aunty (biological mom) is really driving me crazy. I can see them totally be the annoying oposing characters as the drama continues. The ones where you just want them to geet hit by a car. Currently can't stand RR's biological throwing a fit about RR's mom wanting her to stop trying to set rr up with blind dates. RR's mom also get 'stone face' when rr biological wants to show some interest in rr's life.

Loved how rr's dad turned his phone off with his dinner with head giaseng. Guess he knows his wife might try to call again. (Sorry currently still watching episode 6. darn school assignments. :P )

Can't wait for this weekend!!

Guest dramaok

he asks her if she likes lamb (yang) bbq.

she says why?

he says he thought of the saying, quality (jil) over quantity (yang).

yang is homophone for lamb or quantity (amount)

it was still kinda random. i guess damo needed to show saran he knows a thing or two.

like he's smart too. lol. show off.

hi all

DM & SR makes a very handsome couple.

I don't wish for SR to work at the Gisaeng House, not even as a dance instructor, cause that will surely complicate matters, making it harder for both the Ah & Geum family to accept her. I hope the storyline won't take that turn.

My immediate concern is Andre, pray no harm come to him during his stay with SR...

Thanks Michael for the recap, if not for you, non-korean viewers like me would have missed out on the logic behind the id "samu-nim" :)

could you also kindly translate the caller id which DM assign to his dad? (see ep9 @ 14:58). It'll be interesting to know what wacky vision DM has conjure up for his dad... :rolleyes:

Hope more will tune in to watch this captivating drama.

Guest kawaiiyuki

@dotoh

I for one am hoping SR end ups working at the giaseng house. I think that's the only way the writer can tie the storylines better. SR and everyone around her need to be able to interact with the other characters and that's the only way i see how.

Might be some objection from dm's parents when they find out SR works at the giaseng house if dm and sr want to get married but more fun for us viewer. We like objecting parents in dramas right? Besides dm's grandmother like SR, right? we know that she secretly has all this power in the family therefore if she agrees to dm and sr's marriage i'm sure there would be no problem, right?

Anyone noticed rr seem to missing from the last two episodes. (not that i mind cause then we get more sr and dm screen time) She hasn't appear much. I wonder what's in store for her.

Guest kawaiigarden

Oh My God, I'm so addicted to this drama.

Thank you so much for the OST's Link and thank you to the subbers who are doing an amazing job.

I really love Ah Da Mo and Da Sa Ran and the way they act around each other.

It breaks my heart to see how the grandfather is broken hearted about his lost grand daughter.

I think that I'll cry a lot in this drama. Da Sa Ran plays the proud girl who doesn't show her true feeling, and Ah Da Mo is a spoiled child who doesn't know how to express his feeling in the right way.

Such a great drama.

Archived