Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Secret Garden"

2013/11/16 | 845 views | Permalink | 8 Comments

Share on reddit8Repost This

Secret Garden - Ra-im and Joo-won

When Kim Joo-won wore his Italian hand-made sequined tracksuit, it became an instant hit and buyer favorite. When the cappuccino kiss took place, selcas with foam mustaches flooded the internet."Secret Garden" is undoubtedly one of the most popular romantic Korean dramas of the last few years and the way in which it cemented itself into pop culture and skyrocketed the careers of many in its cast make it a milestone for the industry.

The premise of "Secret Garden" is quite a cliche, at parts, but also quite refreshing for its time. Gil Ra-im is a poor, but capable stunt woman who dreams of having an international career. Kim Joo-won is an arrogant rich man who is trying to run his business and function despite his crippling phobia of riding in elevators. Through a misunderstanding and finding their work lives meeting up, they form an attraction-hate relationship. During one of their meetings, they find themselves lost in the woods and arrive at a small tavern. It is here where things take a turn for the fantasy genre, as they wake up the next day having swapped bodies, complicating their relationship. But the mysterious tavern owner who gave them the potion that caused the switch seems to know something about the people they targeted and their fate.

Secret Garden - Ra-im and Joo-won switchedSecret Garden - Oska, Jong-soo, Ra-im and Joo-won

What the series attempts to do and accomplishes with its plot is to combine a romantic comedy with melodrama, into something which is not quite as heavy as melodramas go, but also not as pure a romantic comedy as most other works. The result is that things like evil mothers in law, excessive crying, sappy dialogues and such are present, but the light romantic feel of the work is also there throughout. The fantasy element and body switch do bring some hilarity into the situation, but the potential for the characters to better understand each other through that switch was left largely unrealized. However, the switch does play a central part to the story's mystery, so it does not feel like a gimmick and it has a point for happening and an ultimate reason behind it.

The characters of "Secret Garden" are all given a lot of detail and personality and even though they are often limited by being stereotypes, they are generally more appealing versions of them. Ha Ji-won's Gil Ra-im does get a bit too butch and tomboyish and while the contrast with her more girly side is nice, it can also feel unrealistic at times. Hyeon Bin's work is a step up for the actor, and even if Joo-won spends the first half being a very unchallenging character, he eventually breaks free from his type in interesting ways.

Secret Garden - Sun and OskaSecret Garden - Yoon Seul

The second male and female leads, played by Yoon Sang-hyeon and Kim Sa-rang also have their own place and story in the series and they are generally active participants in the main story as well. The supporting characters all have loud and distinctive personalities and their actors bring some extra flavor into them. Given that homosexuality is a topic still much avoided by entertainment, Lee Jong-suk's presence as Sun is also a tiny step forward which will hopefully play its part in encouraging the industry to represent that community more in the future.

One thing which does stand out is also the overall production quality of the drama. Everything looks impressive, the filming takes place in many beautiful locations, the sets and buildings used look expensive, the clothes, sequined and not, look well-made. The music also features songs which, at the time, became fan favorites. While Korean drama is not usually impressive in terms of presentation, this is a case people will remember for it.

"Secret Garden" is by no means perfect, but its polished presentation, coherent plot, popular cast and chemistry between the leads formed a winning combination that offers audiences a lot of the things they like wrapped in a fine package which manages to be more exciting and entertaining than a lot of other efforts. Its cliches, while sometimes tiring, are used in smart and engaging ways and the end result is a drama which is entertaining and feels just a bit more special and refreshing than a lot of its kind.

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

He really enlightened me about homosexuality... Look at him with other guys Priceless...

leianji said:

if he wanted to change his image really bad ... well i think he did succeed!!  because ... darn it!! much as i love the really aegyo, cute sukkie ... i am loving ... and i mean loving THIS sukkie much more .... it is just asking to be taken seriously!! hahaha!  what do you think that fave lady of sukkie will think now, rania?? hahahaha!
well ... i don't like cigarettes ... but i am realistic enough to know that most men do smoke sometime in their lives ... others smoke a lot!  so seeing sukkie with a cigarette is really not surprising ... in fact ... it carries his message of change ... and being honest!!  i think he is hitting it right in front of us ... that yes he does smoke ... so don't go searching for any pic anymore because here i am showing it to you now!  that part is truly sukkie ... honest and soul baring!!  and i like!! hahahaha!
and oh!!  i eat my cake that way too ... is it destiny ... hahahaha!
dramafan 100 : i ... we ... don't mind how many times you post here because ... i, for one, loves to read your random thoughts posts!!  they are honest ... and funny!!  thanks for sharing it always!
shin.u : i see you've change your avatar too!! hahahaha!!  and i like it  ... rania's naked sukkie  is truly inviting ... your smoking sukkie is asking for a spank!! hahahaha!  

can't resist to post!! hahaha!
shin.u : yes!! i agree ... first with your comment on his cigarette and LIPS!! hahahaha!  and second ... i think that he is really preparing us for HBY ... all this preparation however is making me greedy for more!! hahahaha!!  i am getting pretty excited over here now!!
rania : hey girl ... are you still stucked at gazing at sukkie's naked pics?! hahahaha!  
i noticed in the gif that you posted of the behind the scene at apan awards of bo young and sukkie that it looked like she was angry at sukkie ... am i correct?  looked like she was glaring at him ... and he was like trying to appease her ... whhhhhhhyyyyy?  do tell do tell ... if you get any news on that!  

jong suk fighting!!

leianji

said: okay ... i can't seem to hold my heart  ... am i asleep still ... or wide awake ... cause i'm not sure what i am looking at right now ... is there truly anything that sukkie can NOT do?!  God help me!! hahahahaha!

rania

: you naughty naughty girl!!  i thought you love horses!! hahahaaha!!  was i so surprise to see a new avatar!! hahahaha!!  well ... a nekked sukkie will make anyone change his/her likes!!  

:))  loving the new avatar girl!!  and mind you ... i think that naked sukkie was inviting ME to join him in bed ... he winked at me! hahahahaha!
hahahaha!!  i am not asking if you have two eyes!! hello ... is the naked picture of sukkie clouding your eyes now?? hahahaha!! i was asking if you have trouble winking too girl!! hahahaha!
geek photoshoot looks sultry ... but w mag is totally sizzling hot and manly man!! I LIKE IT SUKKIE ... CAN WE HAVE MORE OF THIS!! hahahaha!  i have dl all pics ... and i can't seem to choose which i want on my desktop now!! hahaha!
if he wanted to change his image really bad ... well i think he did succeed!!  because ... darn it!! much as i love the really aegyo, cute sukkie ... i am loving ... and i mean loving THIS sukkie much more .... it is just asking to be taken seriously!! hahaha!  what do you think that fave lady of sukkie will think now, rania?? hahahaha!
well ... i don't like cigarettes ... but i am realistic enough to know that most men do smoke sometime in their lives ... others smoke a lot!  so seeing sukkie with a cigarette is really not surprising ... in fact ... it carries his message of change ... and being honest!!  i think he is hitting it right in front of us ... that yes he does smoke ... so don't go searching for any pic anymore because here i am showing it to you now!  that part is truly sukkie ... honest and soul baring!!  and i like!! hahahaha!

and oh!!  i eat my cake that way too ... is it destiny ... hahahaha!

jong suk fighting!!

leianji said: can't resist to post!! hahaha!
shin.u : yes!! i agree ... first with your comment on his cigarette and LIPS!! hahahaha!  and second ... i think that he is really preparing us for HBY ... all this preparation however is making me greedy for more!! hahahaha!!  i am getting pretty excited over here now!!
rania : hey girl ... are you still stucked at gazing at sukkie's naked pics?! hahahaha!  
i noticed in the gif that you posted of the behind the scene at apan awards of bo young and sukkie that it looked like she was angry at sukkie ... am i correct?  looked like she was glaring at him ... and he was like trying to appease her ... whhhhhhhyyyyy?  do tell do tell ... if you get any news on that!  

jong suk fighting!!

logo-akp-icon.png

Lee Jong Suk goes shirtless and shows his charisma for 'Geek' and 'W Korea'

November 20, 2013 @ 4:29 am
lee-jong-suk_1384924791_af_org.jpg

Lee Jong Suk gave fans a 'no breathing' attack with his sexy and chic pictorials for 'Geek' and 'W Korea'!

While he normally shows off his boyish good looks, Lee Jong Suk went for a more mature look in the pictorials and even treated fans to some shirtless action.

SEE ALSO: Lee Jong Suk, Seo In Guk, and Yuri's 'No Breathing' to be released all over Asia!

He shared during his interview, "When there is nothing in my schedule, I mostly pass the time watching drama replays at home to take a break... I like days that are quiet and spent alone."

Lee Jong Suk also said, "I thought I should definitely rest after finishing the movie 'Blood Boiling Youth' because I was busy all throughout 2013, but as the filming for the movie is wrapping up, I most often ponder, 'What kind of production should I do next?'," hinting that he may be just as busy in the upcoming year of 2014 as he was this year.

Check out his pictures below!

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/11/lee-jong-suk-goes-shirtless-and-shows-his-charisma-for-geek-and-w-korea#axzz2kyn9zoey

ystarnewsystarnews 

Lee Jong Suk will become the face of Standard Chartered Bank’s ‘Good Library Project

id="watch-headline-title" class="yt" style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-weight: normal; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap; word-wrap: normal; text-overflow: ellipsis; font-family: arial, sans-serif; "이종석, 시각장애인 위해 '목소리 재능 기부'

tsn_top_title_bi.gif

[HD] 이종석, '건강한 남자' 화보 사진 공개  

톱스타뉴스=장재연기자]  배우 이종석이 패션 매거진 '더블유 코리아'와 촬영한 화보가 공개됐다. 

이종석은 이번 화보 촬영을 통해서 기존의 귀여운 이미지를 벗고 25살 청년 이종석의 자연스런 모습과 진정한 남자 배우로 한 단계 성장한 모습을 보여주었다. 

1384939536-29.jpg
 이종석 / 더블유 코리아btn_zoom.gif
 'HD PHOTO 보기'를 클릭하면 국내 최대 사이즈인 가로 1,200픽셀의 HD 사진을 볼 수 있습니다.
 'HD PHOTO'는 회원 로그인이 필요합니다.
 If you click the button 'HD PHOTO', then you can see HD Photo. But it requires log-in.

1384939545-40.jpg
 If you click the button 'HD PHOTO', then you can see HD Photo. But it requires log-in.

1384939554-2.jpg

1384939562-56.jpg

화보 촬영과 함께 진행된 인터뷰에서 이종석은 올 한 해에 대해 "단기간에 여러 편을 몰아서 하고 나니 몇 년의 경험치를 응축해서 쌓은 기분이 든다. 몸이 힘들긴 하지만 나쁜 것 같지는 않다"고 바쁘게 보낸 한 해에 대한 소회를 밝혔다. 

또한 20대 중반에 교복을 입고 나오는 역할을 자주 맡는 것에 대해 "사실 '학교 2013'을 막 끝냈을 때 교복을 그만 입어야겠다는 생각을 하긴 했지만 '너의 목소리가 들려'의 캐릭터가 너무 마음에 들었기 때문에 결심을 바꿨다. 앞으로도 그렇게 좋은 작품을 만나게 되면 별 수 없이 또 입을 것 같다"고 밝혔다. 

이종석의 화보와 인터뷰는 오는 20일 발행되는 '더블유 코리아' 12월호에서 확인할 수 있다.

http://topstarnews.net/detail.php?number=45345&thread=0002r0007r0039