How did you find out what double eyelids were?

ParappaRappa

Guest YukiPuu

People used to say that I look adopted, since my mom has these really prominent double eyelids and mine are more subtle and can turn into single eyelids if I sleep wrong or whatever.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow... I never knew parents played such a big role in making kids want double eyelids -_-. i wonder if it would still be so overhyped if asian parents didn't care so much to begin with.

as a kid, i always knew the difference, but they were just two different things, each unique in their own way rather than one being more favorable than the other.

Guest MsChaofan

I learned of it when I joined soompi. I didn't care, untill I joined. Actually I still don't care too much, but whenever I slept wrong and I look in the mirror I'll be like: "Oh! I got double eye- wait neverminddry.gif". 

i knew about double eyelids as "it is" since the whole family has that trait,

well, except for my dad. he's of chinese decent so he has that single eyelid

which i envy when i was younger, i thought it made someone look younger/prettier.

BUT then never knew having double eyelids was such a big deal

(and thought of having it would make someone prettier),

UNTIL i was into kpop and jpop, around 2006 or 2007...

never knew artists were having surgeries just to have them...

Guest ikekeyou

i found out when i got into kpop

and read something about double eye lid surgery....

i really never notice about these eye lids ahahah until then

Guest AAgurl789

didn't really pay much attention to it...Wasn't until I've joined asian forums (esp soompi) that it came to my realization that "big double eyelids" are THAT desirable. :unsure: none of my friends really put much emphasize on big dolly eyes, etc...and I still don't place much emphasize on big dolly eyes.

Guest AiMango

I don't really remember how I found out.. probably when I was around 13 and I started getting into kpop... finding out about celebrities getting double eyelid surgery. o.o

Guest couturedream

I found out when I was a small kid... At that time I had single lids but my dad had doubles so he told me single eyelids are pretty, dont cut them in the future bla bla. Didnt get what he meant at all until I entered high school and was constantly teased for having small eyes, in a school of my own race. And thats what makes me wanna have surgery now -_-

Guest natsurei

I found out how IMPORTANT they were to being pretty @_@ from soompi.

Lmao. I always thought everyone had the same kind of eyelids (double) -- cause I was double-lidded..

Then I look at my sister, and she's single-lidded! I was shocked. I thought eyelids..were eyelids. period.

Guest AAgurl789

Did you just know by yourself? Did someone tell you? How did you find out what they were?

I was just wondering, hahah

When I was around 9, my friend started talking about double eyelids and I had no idea what it was. She tried to explain it but I still didn't understand and I was like, "That sounds like weird eyelids!" LOL

She said her mom told her that people with double eyelids are prettier. And then she was like, "I have it, but you don't have it." But I still had no idea what it was... :blink:

wow...I hate friends who are into that "comparing" crap..friends who go about praising themselves over trivial stuff like "I have a smaller wrist than you, my legs are skinnier and hence prettier, ooooo..my eyelids are bigger than yours"...reminds me of my best friend who I rarely talk to now. :phew: thank god, I made a good decision and saved myself sum headaches.

back to the point, didn't get what the big deal was until I got into kpop.

Guest K-A-Z-E

Oh, that was so funny! XD

It was the first time when I put on eyeliner. I think I was about 14 years old. When my friend saw me, she complained that the eyeliner is almost not visible.

Well she is caucasian and on her eyes the eyeliner showed up much more than on mine.

At that time I realized that the eyelids of asians and caucasians are different lol. (quite late right? hahaha)

Couple years later I saw pictures of famous people with huge double eyelid ( Gackt, Ayumi Hamasaki, Tsubasa Masuwaka and more) and I wondered

why the eyeliner shows up so good on their eyes and not on mine. Then I researched and found out about double eyelids.

The next couple months I was complaining about not having double eyelids. It was so annoying when the eyeliner never showed up.

At that time I did not even know that double eyelids also make the eye look bigger. My only problem was the stupid eyeliner haha.

Then a relative said something like "Oh you have such pretty big eyes! I envy your double eyelids!" to me and I was like O_O?!?! what? XD

Thats when I realised that I actually have natural double eyelids but they are not as visible as those of the stars. hahahahahahah XD And that was like a year ago? lol

Guest angelbuilinh

I learned about lids through my friend last year that started wearing lid tape. Lol I was unaware I guess the american society we grow up in doesn't really focus on particular points on the face but the whole beauty of a person :P

Guest bigfatPANDA

I found out from Soompi too... lol. I was really into fanfics back in like 2004-2005, and they always had ulzzangs and the writers always emphasized double eyelids. So then I just asked on the thread. XD

Archived