[Drama 2010] Smile, Dong-hae / Smile Again 웃어라 동해야

Guest fanda4000

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cringe-worthy episode. I thought Dong-Hae's English was awful...but that other girl? And the two of them "conversing" was sooo painful...

It's moments like these that you know the show isn't targeted for an international audience :)

Any thoughts on episodes 38 - 41? Specifically a potential love triangle forming between Dong-hae, Bong Yi, and what's-her name-snooty-girl-who-eats-salad-with-chopsticks.

My very first thoughts, I kid you not, were along the lines of "OMG, Son Bambi is a TERRIBLE actress!" Then reality cued me back to the fact that Dambi's voice isn't that annoyingly high pitched, and all was well again. I almost feel as if the writers suddenly introduced this character to challenge Bong-Yi and Dong-Hae's growing relationship but had originally conceived a Dong-Hae, Sae Hwa, Bong-Yi triangle...maybe they too realized the extent of their character assassination on Sae Hwa and just had to bring in this "filler" character to balance things out on their end. Weird thing is though that Dong-Hae admitted to Bong-Yi that this girl is totally not her type in both how she looks and acts...which only means the writers will drag this plot out for 10 or more episodes, sigh...

I don't know what the writers are thinking though with Sae Hwa's belligerence...maybe they're trying to get us to feel sorry for poor Do-Jin. I almost feel like he's got what's coming for him and almost want Sae Hwa to get away with all she her conniving ways it until she pops out his baby (that she suddenly so desperately wants...so much for advancement in her career...make up your mind, geez)...can't wait until the baby turns out to be...actually, scratch that, I don't think Sae Hwa will be knocked up by Dong-Hae. Better story would be if she's infertile. And then she'll adopt a special needs child because she feels so badly for treating Dong-Hae and Anna thusly...you know I bet this will totally happen now.

Regarding "what's-her name-snooty-girl-who-eats-salad-with-chopsticks" I'm perfectly fine with the notion of them setting up a love triangle since it "spices" up Bong Yi & Dong-hae's budding relationship I just wished it didn't seem so obvious. She's practically undressing him with her eyes, her clothes (may be I'm overreaching here) are "form" fitted as opposed to the other female cast to allude to some kind of "sexiness"/"wildness" so as to show that she's the "pursuer" instead of the "pursuee".

I chalk it up to, again, the writers' misogynistic tunnel vision. I know they're trying to play on existing KDrama convention, but really...why does "looking good" always have to be tied with being "bad". It's like they're trying to show how independence and pro-activity are negative traits. I mean, after watching whats-her-face, does anyone feel that she's a confident woman, or a sexy home-wrecker? Seriously.

I also fault the terrible actress, but I have a feeling that she and Jung Ah are directed to perform in such an unrealistic fashion.

Did Kim Joon or Do Jin have anything to say about Sae Wa? Kim Joon specifically has been hammering her lately (stairwell scene, removing her from the companies upcoming project, acting rather cold to her at home, etc.) for Do Jin the overheard phone call from her mother made it seem as if he was coming round to her "evilness" but was pacified by an "I love you" (as if she didn't have her meat hooks in him already).

Do Jin doesn't seem to have a clue who Sae Hwa was talking to or what she was referring to, even though it had something to do with "getting rid of some person". That's about all he knows, though really he should clue in and either a) totally support SaeHwa's evil plans, or B) hook up with the chopstick-salad-chick.

Guest crzyblue4

Is it me, or has Sae Wa gotten really crybaby lately? All I see her do is cry, and when she is alone she has her thinking face on (which as been much).

Oh and to prove more of aeka's point, maybe not, I noticed that "Chop Sticks" girl is the only one with a tight fitted uniform in the kitchen, and I mean extremely tight compare to everyone else's.

Guest adikkeluangman

After School’s Jooyeon gets “married” to Alex?

The small face of After School’s Jooyeon has been a hot topic of discussion among the boards recently, especially after a picture of her on the set of KBS 1TV’s “Smile, Donghae” was revealed on her homepage.

In the picture, she poses alongside Alex, her lover in the drama, while wearing a wedding dress.

Jooyeon wrote, “Please give lots of love to ‘Smile, Donghae.’ Alex oppa’s face expression is so cool here.”

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/11/after-schools-jooyeon-gets-married-to-alex

After School’s Jooyeon shows off her pregnant stomach for “Smile, Donghae”

After School’s Jooyeon, who recently debuted as an actor, has been playing the role of a pregnant newlywed on KBS 2TV’s daily drama, “Smile, Donghae.”

The episode that was broadcast on November 24th featured the immature pregnant college student, Yoon Sae Young (Jooyeon), doing an advertisement photo shoot for a postnatal care center.

Her mother-in-law unfortunately discovers the advertisements of her belly exposed in a mini-skirt and becomes unable to hide her rage, criticizing her by stating, “You have to think of the baby inside of you, have you ever seen any pregnant women walking around like this? Even animals know how to care for their children, you are less than an animal.”

Yoon Sae Young retorts, “Why? What’s wrong with this? I make money and create memories. Ugly people can’t do this even if they wanted to. This is totally up to the pregnant woman herself, and how dare you call your pregnant daughter-in-law less than an animal?”

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/11/after-schools-juyeon-shows-off-her-pregnant-stomach-for-smile-donghae

Guest pessiepop

so there is another female who likes donghae? i think another guy should appear to show interest in bongyi and make donghae jealous or something too. xD

first scene: sae hwa is part of the committee that is judging for the food cook off contest....she just found out bong-yi and dong-hae entry. her mother tells sae-hwa and do-jin what is in it....

second scene: sae hwa comes in to just look around making it seem like she is not doing much, but she ends up finding the perfect patsy and basically tells the other female cook "do you want to win or do you want a recipe?" she proceeds to sabotage bong-yi and dong-hae again...

the Kims run the hotel, it is owned by the elderly couple from the beginning of the series.

she runs a successful hair salon...things are implied more often,

usually when they show someone working, it might involve another plot ie sae hwa being evil

man i don't get the writers in this series, kind of figured they would reveal that James is Kim joon to sae hwa ,but so early in a 100+ drama...

I feel Dojin and Donghae being step brothers as the reason why they cannot get along...Dojin said in earlier episodes that I just don't like the guy, beyond the obvious Sae Hwa and Dong Hae relationship...

Well when Sae Hwa and her mom were fighting, she told Sae Hwa I sacrificed so much to get you kids to where we are now, i was called this and that....she had her sacrifices to make her business successful, and now its implied that she has some money where as before her husband died, and she was a young widow with 2 girls.

I feel Dojin and Donghae being step brothers as the reason why they cannot get along...Dojin said in earlier episodes that I just don't like the guy, beyond the obvious Sae Hwa and Dong Hae relationship...

Well when Sae Hwa and her mom were fighting, she told Sae Hwa I sacrificed so much to get you kids to where we are now, i was called this and that....she had her sacrifices to make her business successful, and now its implied that she has some money where as before her husband died, and she was a young widow with 2 girls.

I don't recall the episode/scene where Sool Nyeo mentioned she had herself money/savings/inheritance before her husband died unless you meant that the family was financially stable before her husband died. That's understandable considering he was likely the sole breadwinner, and knowing a little bit about Korean life insurance policies, Sool Nyeo probably didn't have a lot paid out her.

Having rewatched episode 11 and 12 again, Do-Jin did say that he didn't like Dong-Hae's character, how he flip-flops from one extreme to another citing the following examples: when he went ballistic on them to fire Bong-Yi and then urged them to hire her again; when he promised to go on the Family Search show only to ruin the set. To that extent, I can agree with him, but to me, that seems to be it. There's no reason to act hell bent on ruining the poor guy because of an imperfect character perception. Maybe that's the setup for when he discovers Sae-Hwa's schemes. Maybe he'll spaz and run hell bent on ruining her life...that would make things interesting to be honest. not likely to happen, but would be interesting.

EDIT: I'm starting to like Hye Sook more and more. She may have started off as the clingly, desperate wife...but now, she doesn't take any nonsense from Sae Hwa or even her son for that matter. I also like that she's still not perfect, that she's still the snob that she seemed to be to Bong-Yi's mother and to anyone below her social status. She's about the only complex character left on the show.

Admittedly, Dong-Hae seems to be growing on me. Maybe cause he's no longer the pansy that he was.

This is too much for me,I can't take another miss meeting between Dong hae's mother and James. It driving me crazy do they even know what they doing? Every damm episode she runs around like a chicken with her head cut off calling,yelling, screaming, moaning, crying Damm James! where is James? right there just not in ear shot. The only reason I watch this drama is because Donghae character is refreshing they vested some research on how to maintain his Western culture upbringing.

Archived